1. Due to the amount of SPAM from foreign countries lately, we have made the decision to manually approve all new members. While we regret that this must be done and the added time that it will take for new members to be approved, it is necessary at this time. We hope to have legitimate new members approved in a timely manner, no longer than a couple of hours. If the Administrators are online at the time, it can be as soon as a couple of minutes. Thank you for your patience.
    Dismiss Notice

Continuous fiber sleeping bags, facts/statistics

Discussion in 'Sleep Systems' started by designtom, Dec 14, 2016.

1. designtom

designtom Scout

Blog Posts:
    I like continuous fiber sleeping bags. I've used and purchased several chopped fiber sleeping bags (Hollofil & Quallofil). Big disappointment. I own one good down bag. I like it. This thread is NOT about synthetic vs down.

I'd like to gather some facts from you. Please no opinions (or at least until the thread gets to the third page).

How much does your continuous fiber sleeping bag weigh. (actual weight or published weight).

What is it's loft?

Do you know the denier or thickness of the insulation. (I own 5 continuous fiber sleeping bags, from two manufacturers, and they're definitely not all made from the same identical insulation). The insulation's individual fiber thickness really affects how easily it bends/compacts vs how long it will last before fibers break in half.

What size does it compress down to for traveling?

What are it's overall measurements. What size person will it fit?

How does the manufacturer keep the fibers from shifting around when the bag is washed.

What temperatures have you actually used the bag in. Observations?

Thread inspired by :
    I'll start

Wiggys 35 F overbag. Size wide/regular length.

Post Office scale 2 lbs 14 oz (2 lbs 12 oz on manufacture website)

1 3/4" of loft

Don't know what size fiber Lamilite is made from, manufacturer thinks its durable.

In compression sack 6.5" wide circle by 11" length.

34.5 x 81. It's designed to go over your winter bag, so by itself it can take a 300 lb person up to 6'. (website says it's 36" wide, maybe you need to stretch it?)

I don't know what Lamilite is, but when held up to the light, I can see the spray pattern from some sort of glue that is holding the sheet of 4.8 oz Climashield to the inner nylon lining of bag. I speculate it's the same glue that is used to laminate Formica to particle board (spray pattern is identical). There are no quilts, or stitches going through the insulation, except at the zipper (that is backed up with a decent size flap)

I sleep in a hammock with an underquilt made with 7.5oz Climashield. I've been woken up around 37 F several times while wearing a t-shirt and a fleece beenie hat. With dry long johns, dry wool socks, & beenie hat I get right down to around freezing. Since it's an overbag, there's basically unlimited room for extra clothing. In colder conditions I sleep with bottom of the sleeping bag inside my coat, uparmor with a 20x30 foam mat under my but, and have worn many layers of wool & poly clothing down to 18 F. Have to imagine that's about as far as I can push a 35 F bag.

Please keep it objective. I'm looking for actual weights. Actual lofts. Actual sizes, and your observations of how it's performed. Please keep your opinions under check until this thread has gathered some real data.