Coon hunting

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Gathering' started by HannahT, Jul 11, 2019.

1. HannahT

HannahT Firebug Hobbyist Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Does anybody here hunt them? My little brother has been bugging me to death to ask :rolleyes:

He's never hunted coons before (or much of anything else, for that matter) and he wants gun/dog advice, and anything else he needs to know. I know that's a lot to try and pack into one thread. Where can I point him for a good foundation of information? I can't think of anybody in our area - anybody anywhere that I know of - that hunts them, and obviously that'd be the best way to learn it all. I just read Where the Red Fern Grows and that pretty much sums up my knowledge :D

I've told him it's free to join, but I guess he's shy :) Maybe if there's a discussion going he'll give in and sign up!

2. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I worked with a guy that used to raise Plott Hounds for coon hunting. He was from NY.
    All I know is, they would hunt them at night trailing the dogs until they treed one, then shoot it. Later in the weekend the dogs would do a UKC dog show.
    It must have been through some org. Points were given on fastest tree'd coon and all that in conjunction with the show ring. Probably through a state club with a parent org.

I'm sure whoever handles your KY hunting licenses can point you in the right direction if no one from KY shows up here.

3. HannahT

Blog Posts:
    Good point :) We buy our licenses online, but maybe I can find something there :)

4. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm guessing your dept of ag runs it like here.
    I can call the state office and they have a field agent contact me if I have a question specific to my area.

But my old buddy was all about Plott Hounds. Said he tried them all and Plotts were the best.
    At least for him ;)

5. M.Hatfield

M.Hatfield Midnight Joker #42 Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Where I am, raccoons have lots of competition. We have seen them fighting with coyote's, foxes, and opossums on our trail camera's. Both Coyote's here and even Fisher Cats will hunt and kill their share of raccoons. :confused:

Does your brother live in a spot where raccoons are real used to humans? and is trapping allowed where you are?

6. HannahT

Blog Posts:
    I'll have to check into trapping laws here. We have plenty of coons, but they're not particularly brave around people :D

7. jasam

jasam Scout

Blog Posts:
    I raise English coonhounds and I have one Mt. Cur. We hunt them from November to February here but I seldom shoot one unless I’m training a young dog. Started a thread here awhile back called For the Houndsmen. There’s a bunch of pics in there from coon ,Bear, and hog hunters. If you can’t find it I’ll try to link it later

8. HannahT

Blog Posts:
    Awesome, thank you!

9. ozarkhunter

ozarkhunter Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Look on youtube for "coon squaller". There are some videos where guys find big hollow trees (den trees) and they use an electronic caller during the day to hunt/shoot coons. One video they call several out of the attic of an old abandoned house. I've shot them while hog hunting using a thermal optic and have trapped them using Duke dogproof traps and cage/live traps. Landowner at one of my hunting spots has chickens and ducks. Game and fish gave permission to take them with any means necessary due to the loss of her birds.

10. HannahT

Blog Posts:
    They're destructive all right. That might be what got a couple of my chickens, and they've kind of moved in to an old house on my dad's place. Thanks for the tip - I'll have him look it up :)

11. Paulyseggs

Paulyseggs Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I was plannin on tryin to call them this past winter. But some health issues got in the way.

I've killed a bunch. But always at my coop. Never "hunted" them per say

12. slysir

slysir Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    In Florida raccoons may be taken year round by rifle, shotgun, pistol, muzzleloader, air gun, crossbow or bow. No limit. I've never had the need to kill them down here. But I did when I lived up north...trash bandits!!

-John

Edit to add: I never needed dogs to find them...they found me.

freebirdfb, Paulyseggs, jasam and 4 others like this.
  13. HannahT

Blog Posts:
    The buggers are everywhere! Although I wish he'd take an interest in cleaning out possums, beavers, or groundhogs :D I guess that's a job for me!

14. Paulyseggs

Paulyseggs Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Possums eat alot of ticks. And rarely carry rabies.

Coons are really tasty though. So is beaver and groundhog. Possums smell weird to me

freebirdfb, slysir, jasam and 2 others like this.
  15. slysir

slysir Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm sure the feeling is mutual!! :D

-John

16. 1773

1773 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    What part of KY are you located in, coon hunting is huge in KY, I am almost positive that there will be a coon club near you that you might be able to hook up with. Contact your local conservation officer they can point to the local clubs also check with the local hunting supply shops they may be able to help you out as well as the KY houndsman association.

17. HannahT

Blog Posts:
    We're in central KY, a good hour away from any hunting shops. I'll tell him to check out any clubs he can find :)

freebirdfb and Paulyseggs like this.
  18. 1773

1773 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I forgot to mention, check with the feed stores to, I mean the real ones that farmers use not Tractor Supply, they will know who the coon hunters are and they may be able to hook you up with someone.

freebirdfb and HannahT like this.
  19. HannahT

Blog Posts:
    We're out in the sticks here - Tractor Supply's all we have! I gotcha though :) There are some other stores within half an hour that might know something :)

freebirdfb and Paulyseggs like this.
  20. Kimber22

Kimber22 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I hunted black and tans for 20 years. My boy ran redbones and walkers. Dad ran his blueticks, and had a couple Blue Gascon. Coon hunting can be as cheap as a flashlight, or as expensive as GPS collars, $400 lights, and such. Dad still keeps a bluetick around for when he gets the urge.. Still quite a hoot on a November night when the air is heavy and the smoke from the wood burning stove hangs heavy in the air. There is nothing like it in the world. Hearing the dogs open up on a track makes the hair on your arms stand up... Any questions just reach out.

21. leaf and lightning

leaf and lightning Guide

Blog Posts:
    Don't hunt them myself, but I've exterminated a few chicken killers. An accurate .22cal air rifle will do the trick, and without disturbing people with a late-night gunshot. You have to go for a headshot, because they are tough little buggers and can soak up body shots with a 22lr or 22mag. If they are still alive when they fall out of the tree, they can tear up dogs pretty bad(my neighbor coon hunts, and has had to put more than one dog down because they got tore up by a "dead" coon). Make sure they are dead. Get an accurate gun, and aim for the eyeshine.

HannahT and freebirdfb like this.
  22. Polecat

Polecat Polecat in a Poke Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I used to, but I don't have a coon dog anymore.

The way I figure it, I'm clumsy enough blundering through the woods in the daytime. That night hunting is for the birds. :3

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019 at 6:55 PM
    freebirdfb likes this.
  23. Woodsroamer

Woodsroamer Scout

Blog Posts:
    Have him check out coonhuntingclub.com I used to have one and a buddy had one. Basically I recommend finding a good location to hunt and finding a dog that has the urge be it a pup or an older dog at a shelter. Make a coon feeder and put it in the area he wants to hunt a while before he wants to run the dog. After basic training drag a hide through your yard and see if the dog follows it, if it’s an older dog that follows the trail immediately either catch a live coon or take him to the feeder. If it’s a real young pup start by dragging short trails with its favorite treat, slowly extend the trails length and complexity. If possible get a dried coon hide, either whole or a piece, and play with it constantly. After the pup easily follows the treat trail start using the coon hide. And give him a treat every time he gets and play with it with him. Once it’s big enough to take on a coon catch a live one and let him chase it in an area with either no water or very shallow so the coon can’t drown it. Do this a couple times by letting the dog chase it immediately and then let the coon wonder off while the dog is in the truck where it can’t see. Wait long enough where you can’t see the coon and let em loose. When you think it’s ready take it to the feeder and eventually you can go anywhere with coons. I like using a 22 or a 20 ga with 4 or 6 shot to dispatch, and a slingshot is useful for knocking coons out of trees to extend the chase. Sorry for the long post.

HannahT likes this.
  24. racetrack

racetrack Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Get a subscription to Full Cry magazine. All you need in there. Local events, clubs, etc.

HannahT likes this.