Cordage Question

Discussion in 'Other Skills' started by TheWhiteWoodsman, Feb 4, 2019.

1. TheWhiteWoodsman

TheWhiteWoodsman Scout

Blog Posts:
    Hey ya'll,

I've had a fair amount of success making 2 ply cordage utilizing a vise to "eat" up my completed strand, keeping the point of holding relatively close to the point of twisting. I find that the longer the distance between the points the more wobbly my cord becomes and thus harder to twist. Does that make sense?

I've recently moved however and no longer have the same access to that vise and am looking for ways to continue cording (cordaging? making cordage?) . Ideally I could sit on the couch and do this.... Just this evening I tried a method where I tie an alligator clamp to my toe and use the clamp as my holding point but it was not strong enough and I kept pulling my strands out of the clamp.

So here it is. How do you, short of a vice in the workshop, hold your cordage while working on it?

Medicine maker likes this.
  2. OrienM

OrienM Guide

Blog Posts:
    I've never used an anchor device...my method is all handheld, and can be done sitting, standing, or wherever.

I start with two equal strands held in the left hand...the right hand twists the right-side strand clockwise and pulls it across the front of the left-side strand; at the same time the left hand pushes the left-side strand into its new position on the right side, and pinches the strands together where they cross each other. The process starts over with the "new" right-side strand. The finished cordage just hangs down as it's made, and can be coiled up as it lengthens to keep it out of the way.

Hope that makes sense:rolleyes:...I've always had trouble getting pics or video of the process, since it takes both hands.

Curious why you feel you need tension? The reverse twisting process should be producing cord that stays together tightly when slack...if not you may be doing it incorrectly.

3. BradGad

BradGad Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Teeth?

TheWhiteWoodsman likes this.
  4. OrienM

OrienM Guide

Blog Posts:

Hunted around on youtube a bit...this is fairly close to how I do reverse-twisting, although I use my left hand a bit differently. Notice there's no tension on the cord, just in the twisted fiber itself.

5. CowboyJesus

CowboyJesus Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    honestly, depending on material used and how long it is....

i usually start holding it in my teeth (as long as it's safe-not comfortable doing that with fresh milkweed for example!)

a little longer, or if i'm in "public," i'll hold with the left hand, doing the twisting all with my right hand.

but if i want to go longer length, or i'm doing it for awhile, i'll usually wrap what cord i've already made (via the other methods i said) around my left big toe, and twist away. if it gets too long-untwist from the toe, slide it through, and go again.

but that's just how i do it. (i am right handed, regarding left/right in the descriptions there)

Oakenhart and TheWhiteWoodsman like this.
  6. Medicine maker

Medicine maker Guide

Blog Posts:
    I just hold the other cord that keeps kinking with my foot and tighten as I go along.

Oakenhart and TheWhiteWoodsman like this.
  7. TheWhiteWoodsman

TheWhiteWoodsman Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the replies.

@OrienM I couldn't see the video on here but I did go to youtube and did my own "research" and I think I got my question answered.

In the past I had been using the vise as my "left hand" or the hand that holds the cord while the other does the twisting. With both hands free I was able to keep the two strands more consistently twisted and could wrap them at twice the speed, as each hand could immediately take the other cord, twisting as I worked.

So... in the end I think my original method (with the vise) may have its merits but I do appreciate being able to make cordage wherever and whenever.

Thanks again!

8. Chris4x4Gill2

Chris4x4Gill2 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I've used a woodworking spring clamp to hold cordage to my workbench as I braid or twist. Its just s bigger version of an alligator clamp.

9. PMSteve

PMSteve Old Timey Outdoorsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    If you have to clamp it at all, get a big binder clip and clip the cordage end to a branch, the edge of your coffee table or whatever. You can also pick up one of those spring loaded workshop clamps, the kind a lot of leather workers use to hold the welt of a knife sheath while stitching it up.

Steve