1. Due to the amount of SPAM from foreign countries lately, we have made the decision to manually approve all new members. While we regret that this must be done and the added time that it will take for new members to be approved, it is necessary at this time. We hope to have legitimate new members approved in a timely manner, no longer than a couple of hours. If the Administrators are online at the time, it can be as soon as a couple of minutes. Thank you for your patience.
    Dismiss Notice

Core alcohol stove review. Mighty mouse!

Discussion in 'Cooking & Water Purification' started by crewhead05, Sep 10, 2016.

1. crewhead05

crewhead05 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Fun with Alcohol…. Stoves. So I recently picked up a Core alcohol stove. http://www.shop.mysurvivalpack.com/core-alcohol-stove after seeing it on a feral woodcraft review here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m6McDdFECk

So I wanted to do some of my own testing. I have never been a huge fan of alcohol stoves but this one looked like it could be something I would like.

It came with a velco pouch and is a very small package.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To adjust the burn intensity you have to set the width of the vents on the side. The wider the opening the hotter the burn. I set mine at wide open for testing.
    [​IMG]

It snapped together very easily. I dont generally like sharp metal that has to by forced together but this was simple. Even in the snow with cold finger I think it would be easy enough to put together. It is quite stable as well.
    [​IMG]

My first test consisted of the core vs the esbit vs a pathfinder model.

The three contenders:
    [​IMG]

For reference the core will fit into the folding firebox nano as a make shift windscreen.
    [​IMG]

I had to use the firebox nano as a pot stand for the esbit during testing.
    [​IMG]

Weights.

Core: 2.2 oz with case, 1.6 without

Esbit: 3.4 oz

Pathfinder: 7.6 oz with windscreen

Folding firebox nano: (used as a stand for the esbit) 5.0 oz

Solo stove: (not pictured but weighed as a mini wood stove as companion) 8.6 oz

Test consisted of 12 oz of water with 1 oz of denatured alcohol.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Right of the bat the pathfinder stove flamed out. So at the end of the first test I had.

Core: Rolling boil at 4:50. Complete flame out at 7:45
    Esbit: Rolling boil at 5:20. Complete flame out at 9:25

Little guy is glowing.
    [​IMG]

Part II of testing to follow

2. crewhead05

Blog Posts:
    Part II.

I added another oz of alcohol to the pathfinder stove as well as primed the top to help it bloom. Finally got it rolling.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I could never get all the ports to burn. Also it think the supplied pot stand (screen)that came with the stove is too tall. It should be cut down a couple rows to maximize efficiency.

Results of pathfinder stove: Rolling boil at 11:50, burn out at 25ish minutes. Quite disappointing actually.

Anyway the second test on the core was to max it out. I added 1.5 oz of alcohol (I tried adding 2 oz but it spilled out the vents. 1.5 is the max I think). I then added a large pot with 30 oz of water.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What to do while watching water boil!
    [​IMG]

So at 10:45 I had a rolling boil on 30 oz. and at 11:10 it burned out! Couldn't cut it much closer.
    [​IMG]

Over all its a fantastic little stove. If I weren't in a controlled environment (no wind) I wouldn't have been able to boil all 30 oz I'm sure.

One of the bonuses of the cross stand in the middle is that it will shelter 2-3 sections from wind allowing the other side to burn. I need to test that theory out.

The reason I included the weights of the wood stoves (solo stove and folding firebox nano) is because I'm trying to set up a alcohol stove/ wood stove combo.

Anyway this is where I am with testing. The new core stove is awesome and worth a consideration, especially at only $17.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  3. DarrylM

DarrylM Guide

Blog Posts:
    That's a cool design. Hope the maker has great success.

crewhead05 likes this.
  4. lugnut

lugnut Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the in depth review. I like my Core wood stoves, but this is now on my list.

crewhead05 likes this.
  5. TarHeelBrit

TarHeelBrit Lowly Backgarden Bushcrafter. Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for a very nice complete review. I'm in the market for a new alcohol stove as my Trangia military is about due for an honourable retirement.

crewhead05 likes this.
  6. xrayit

xrayit Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the review, on my list to buy.

Well I pulled the trigger and ordered one of these bad boys for use with my heavy cover cook kit. Thinking this will be perfect addition to my centerline day hike kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
    crewhead05 likes this.
  7. crewhead05

Blog Posts:
    I ran a small wire through the ports that weren't burning on the pf stove. Still no luck. There are about 6 ports that don't draw the alcohol through. Not sure what is going on there.

8. Sbrody

Sbrody Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the review. It seems like one to consider. I have a Vargo and it is disappointing. It takes forever to fill through the tiny hole and it burns shorter than expected.

crewhead05 likes this.
  9. Winterhorse

Winterhorse Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I have the exact same stove. It just arrived yesterday. And you sent it! Thanks Crew!
    Now I need to run some tests myself.

crewhead05 and Vanitas like this.
  10. Ceedub

Ceedub Guide

Blog Posts:
    Excellent review, thanks for the information.

crewhead05 likes this.
  11. TN_Woodman

TN_Woodman Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the review. I've always love alcohol stoves but never seen this one.

I use a DIY fancy feast and like having a wood / alcohol combo
    I like how you spend your time waiting.

crewhead05 likes this.
  12. arclight

arclight Tracker

Blog Posts:
    It looks like an ultralight rocket engine with an integrated pot support. The trangia with a nano as a pot support at 8.4 oz is quite a bit heavier than the 1.6 oz core. Wonder how much quicker it boils with a windscreen and how it compares to something like a white box stove. Seems to allow the flames to go straight up and hit the center of your pot rather than just the edges though which is probably better.

Thanks for sharing and nice comparison!

crewhead05 likes this.
  13. SavageJak

SavageJak Scout

Blog Posts:
    Great review. One thing I have found about the Pathfinder stove, is the first few burns are a break in period. After the third burn my boil times dropped down alot.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

crewhead05 likes this.