Corona Mechete anyone gotz one?

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by JD Miller, Apr 18, 2019.

1. JD Miller

JD Miller Guide

Blog Posts:
    Saw one of these Corona 22 inch machetes at Local Ace Hardware for $10 bucks, looked good but I noticed it was real flexible blade steal also.... Seamed odd it was so flexible like a noodle

I need a cheap thin, light machete for my afternoon hike with my dog cause all the rain the weeds a thick and high

I have a 18 inch Ontario but want some think thinner and lighter for soft stem weed growth cutting for cheap

THis is not me in the vid, just googled it

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  2. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead LB#42 Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    For just $10 buy one and let us know!

central joe, Jacob and Paul Foreman like this.
  3. flip888

flip888 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Yeah for $10 it's not a big loss if it sucks. But it will probably work nicelyh. I have 10" or maybe 12", I'm not sure, but I like it a lot. I use it for clearing trails on hikes.

MrFixIt, central joe and Jacob like this.
  4. Jacob

Jacob Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I don’t have a corona machete but their saws are decent. Of my four machetes my favorite is a 14” Tramontina. It’s nice and thin and seems just a bit harder than the others. The marbles sheath fits it perfectly and comes with a little stone and two pockets. Both together are around 20$.

If you want to go really light, this 12” butcher knife is 7.4 oz. full flat ground and stainless. Can’t say much about it other than that. I bought it as a dedicated foraging knife and have only had it for a week.

23F37E61-1E0B-46F0-B2C5-3F57F35F8028.jpeg

Edit to say that the tram is 11.2oz without sheath.

90AD448F-2D1C-4ED7-9600-97084F2D6288.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  5. JD Miller

JD Miller Guide

Blog Posts:
    22 inch thin blade so I can hack weed, when I walk along so I dont have to bend over, foxtail grass, mustard weed, etc.... stuff is thick and tall this year

MrFixIt and Jacob like this.
  6. Jacob

Blog Posts:
    Sorry about that, I latched onto the “light” part and somehow missed the 22” part! Please disregard my previous post.

MrFixIt likes this.
  7. P40

P40 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    @Jacob ,where did you get the 12” butcher knife ?

Looks like a Dexter/Russell or Victorinox but I like the orange handle on yours.

8. Jacob

Blog Posts:
    This one was found on amazon. It’s an Arcos 12” butcher knife. It was the cheapest (and I thought potentially the lightest) stainless 12” butcher knife I could find. It’s nice and thin behind the edge and took less damage than expected from hacking away at some seasoned elm. It is quite floppy though.

This little guy is a 10”, a touch heavier and much stiffer. Great handle but black unfortunately. Both were between 20 and 25$.

I’ll update with the brand when I get home, hope that helps.

Jake
    B00E12D8-7516-408E-8B95-2ECDBB432136.jpeg

J. Pierce, Rockgod1619 and freebirdfb like this.
  9. doanehead

doanehead Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have that Corona machete. The steel isn't great but I've used it for quite a few years clearing trails where I hunt and it has held up just fine for the price.

freebirdfb likes this.
  10. HunterX9

HunterX9 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have the carona machete from Ace I think for like $12 dollars. It didn’t come with a sheath but it’s held up to a lot of abuse (used it once to cut up a downed palm tree and no issues). For the price though even if it were to have broken it wouldn’t have been heart breaking and could have just gone to Ace for another without worry.

freebirdfb likes this.
  11. SC T100

SC T100 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I used one for a few years until I got into good machetes. The steel isn't great, but it works. The handle isn't great, but it works. It's almost too flexible for me...feels unwieldy compared to my Trams and Marbles/Imacasas. Honestly I'd spend about double and get an Imacasa or Tram of the same length. Better steel, and needs about the same amount of work out of the box to be good.

freebirdfb likes this.
  12. JD Miller

JD Miller Guide

Blog Posts:
    Yep,,, Im glad I did some research ... and got a Imacasa.... Actually got a few and Tamontina..... I like Imacasa way better

SC T100 likes this.
  13. Joezilla

Joezilla Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The Corona brand has spread out a bit. Any where but made in china is good or ok. The made in china version, personally, I've seen mixed results on. Some don't bend back to true, others are great. The santoprene on the handle can start to delaminate, at least in the one that I saw left in the sun a while. That handle mold is used by a couple companies, and also, with that handle style with both polypro and santoprene...I've seen mixed results...I hope that helps?

J. Pierce likes this.