Coyote in Ohio?

Discussion in 'Ohio' started by jswi2374, May 25, 2018.

1. jswi2374

jswi2374 Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I've lived in Ohio all my life and until about three years ago never saw a coyote. I've seen three this year, two in broad daylight and near the road.
    Has anyone else noticed them being more numerous and more visible?

2. Lode

Lode towel in Banned

Blog Posts:
    One of the most adaptable mammalian canus species on the planet, found even in NY City's Central Park. I'd worry a little more about weird slow actions and aggressiveness to humans vs just spotting them in the daytime as a sign of anything unusual. They're not totally nocturnal.

The neighbors here lose chickens all the time when they come down from the mountain sniff around the odors from their fresh trash strewn about. If they only knew to keep their trash closed up and 'clean', not strewn about like a parking lot dumpster, they might save a curious coyote who happily finds a chicken buffet. My other neighbor, who obviously thinks they live alone on a prairie, plays country music at the top of the volume control 24x7 to try to keep the coyotes at bay, coincidentally pointed right at my fire pit area. It's so wonderful to go outside in the middle of the night and enjoy the sweet calming silence of nature, and Conway Twitty full blare.

If you're wanting to know more than you ever wanted to know about this guy... try 'Coyote America' by Dan Flores. I never thought I'd be so interested.

Last edited: May 25, 2018
  3. WY_Not

WY_Not Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    They've been around and numerous for a long time here in Ohio. We hear them on nearly any given night if we are outside after dark or if we sleep with the windows open. Have a pack that hangs around our farm, been around at long as I can remember. Saw them several times in the middle of the day even back in the mid-80's... with their pups no less. Dad has one hanging on the wall that was trapped a few years back.

Thankfully they've never bothered the livestock nor have they ever bothered my chickens. Never even seen tracks around the coop.

Winterhorse, bacpacjac and gila_dog like this.
  4. gila_dog

gila_dog Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm surprised there aren't more coyotes there. It seems like coyote paradise with all the cats, chickens, deer fawns, etc. It has to be a lot easier for them living there than it is here, where we have always had plenty of them. The zillions of people, houses, farms, etc. in that part of the country wouldn't bother them at all since they are so adaptable.

Winterhorse and bacpacjac like this.
  5. Redbearcat7

Redbearcat7 Scout

Blog Posts:
    They are hard to hunt if not in open areas, large fields as such. A lot of study of the surroundings is needed. Smart predators that catch on quick.
    Trapping, they can be fooled. I’ve had some luck at both but very limited.
    Wiley Coyote. No Road Runners in Ohio.

Winterhorse and bacpacjac like this.
  6. 2stoves

2stoves Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Got land in NW corner of Ohio...Been seeing them there for past 4 or 5 years

Winterhorse likes this.
  7. Zornt

Zornt Guide

Blog Posts:
    Years ago some burocrat with slightly less intelegence than a turnip ( my appologies to turnips) decided it was a good idea to reintroduce them in Ohio.
    Amm that happened was a decrease in the small game population, rabits etc and a loss of domestic critters.
    Around here they yelp all night and will see the occasional one.
    Not a fan but live and let live.
    My spelling sucks sorry.
    Jon

Winterhorse likes this.
  8. gila_dog

gila_dog Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I love to hear them singing. They seem to have a big sing-along just before they split up to go out and hunt for the night, then again when they get back together to go bed down early in the morning. They are a constant threat around here, eating cats and any chickens that aren't locked up. They also eat deer fawns and elk calves. But I think their diet, at least around here is 90% rabbits and rodents like mice and rats. Once you have your chicken house set up right they aren't really a problem. The animal shelter has a constant supply of cats available. Bears are a more serious problem here. Making a chicken house bear proof would be really hard to do.

Winterhorse and Red Wing like this.
  9. Duncsquatch

Duncsquatch Heed the call. Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I thought coyotes were everywhere. Didn't know there were areas that people didn't see them often.

Torrin, Scotchmon and Winterhorse like this.
  10. Red Wing

Red Wing Guide

Blog Posts:
    Yes, I've seen them walking down Busch Blvd in columbus. That's well in town. Had a rash of pets snatched in westerville 4 or 5 years ago.

Exup and I have seen their tracks over ours after walking to a camp.

They're everywhere here. Never had a bad encounter though. Pretty skiddish.

Winterhorse, Redbearcat7 and WY_Not like this.
  11. Red Wing

Red Wing Guide

Blog Posts:
    In zaleski state forest to tar hollow you can hear a pack we have running together most nights. Love the song myself.

Thinking about it, they're probably the reason we don't have the same tick and lyme disease issues as others. We don't have the mice issues they have out towards the AT where they probably have way less coyotes. Interesting.

12. Redbearcat7

Redbearcat7 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Worked on the new road put in at the old wildlife area of the Budweiser Brewery in Columbus on Busch Blvd. Saw many in the winter. They go north and east crossing under both Rt 270 & Rt 71 via the drainage system right out into unassuming neighborhoods. Can’t shoot em in town.

rustystove2017 and Red Wing like this.
  13. Dyslexic Rooster

Dyslexic Rooster Scout

Blog Posts:
    Got em here too. Never seen one for sure myself but heard them plenty of times in my old neighborhood. An ex of mine had seen one at her job here in town, probably hunting strays. It was a little strange to know they had ventured into a suburban sprawl area.

rustystove2017 likes this.
  14. Ullr-North

Ullr-North Scout

Blog Posts:
    Historically it was rare to see coyotes east of the Mississippi and raccoons west of it. This changed with bridges and railways crossing that river. There are now coyotes in NYC and raccoons in LA.

Red Wing and gila_dog like this.
  15. jswi2374

Blog Posts:
    I always knew they were around but they used to be much more reclusive. Scary seeing one just trotting along the road in the middle of the day. I might rethink my decision not to CCW in the woods if this keeps up.

16. jayclimber

jayclimber Scout

Blog Posts:
    We have plenty up here in northern Ohio... we shoot them regularly on my buddies farm (he lost a pig to them and lost a bunch of chickens. Heard a pack of them howling at our local camp a month ago. They had the dog's in the area riled up for awhile that night.

17. slysir

slysir Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    In Florida they are fair game year round, just like the hogs. If you can get a shot off, take it!!

-John

18. GoFeesh

GoFeesh Scout

Blog Posts:
    East central Ohio here - Coyotes are everywhere - We hunt them all year round except for summer months. Bobcats will be next, They are becoming a real problem as well. We used to have grouse and rabbits in abundance around here but now there are very little grouse and rabbits.

jayclimber likes this.
  19. goalem

goalem Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Where I am , Geauga county , they're all through my property. Recently I've seen two of the half breeds , Coywolves , as they spread east.

rustystove2017 and jayclimber like this.
  20. riverjoe

riverjoe Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I think it’s kind of cool hearing them sing , but usually when I hear them on my neighbors hill I’ll find a circle or two of rabbit fur along the fence row that flanks the lane in the morning .
    I saw a big red phase walking the local deer family one morning . They didn’t raise flags or bust out running for some reason .
    I walked down into the river bottom woods to get a photo but when he heard me he was off like a flash . Dang they’re fast ,by the time I missed the first shot he was long gone before the digital camera was ready for another shot .
    They killed my neighbors little frufru dog and he is on a mission to eradicate them .
    We’re about 20 miles from
    Ohio line .

21. TAHAWK

TAHAWK Guide

Blog Posts:
    Very common in NE Ohio. First appeared 19 years ago iirc. Cleared out the feral cats, fox, and the ground hogs pdq.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
  22. hlydon

hlydon Guide

Blog Posts:
    I imagine it’s a coincidence, but I haven’t heard a single coyote near my house this year, and I’ve seen far more deer. I saw two deer in my yard all of last year. I’ve probably seen seven so far this year. Normally I hear coyote regularly in the evenings. I know of one neighbor who has been killing the coyotes. He might have taken out the immediate population.

23. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh Dirt Merchant Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    F361AA3C-DFA1-466C-853A-C50B5A2E951E.jpeg Nasty fawn killin ditch dogs....
    Smoke em if you got em.

24. Idabow

Idabow Scout

Blog Posts:
    I know we’ve had yotes in Ohio since at least the new 70’s. While they are hard on prey populations, they’re no where near as bad as wild hogs. Hopefully we never get the hogs here.

25. jswi2374

Blog Posts:
    Getting hogs in Ohio might inspire me to try hunting again. I like bacon.

26. Idabow

Idabow Scout

Blog Posts:
    Not for the damage they do to habitat, wildlife, and farms. Supposedly there are hogs down around zaleski. Sure as h e double toothpicks don’t want them up here. They can root up acres, plural in one night.

27. AnthemBassMan

AnthemBassMan Scout

Blog Posts:
    Way late to the party, but we have them all over around here in Tuscarawas County. I hear them sometimes when I’m getting in the car to go to work around 4:25am. I’ve seen them within a 100 yards of the house, along the road heading to the highway, and even almost hit two of them on the interstate.

L8R,
    Matt

Lode likes this.
  28. TAHAWK

TAHAWK Guide

Blog Posts:
    Which "them"?

29. AnthemBassMan

AnthemBassMan Scout

Blog Posts:
    Them being coyotes.

L8R,
    Matt

Lode likes this.
  30. TAHAWK

TAHAWK Guide

Blog Posts:
    Oh yah! Around here for nearly twenty years - xurbs east of Cleveland. Cleared out the feral cats, ground hogs, pheasants, and fox. Many fewer ground-nesting birds of all species.

jswi2374 likes this.
  31. Otterdad

Otterdad Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Im in sw ohio and you'll see them in the suburbs of recently developed areas. Not many, but the ones I see are about the size of my german shepherd......

jswi2374 likes this.
  32. Robert Highhawk

Robert Highhawk Scout

Blog Posts:
    Better start shooting them.

jswi2374 likes this.
  33. TAHAWK

TAHAWK Guide

Blog Posts:
    The ones around here are sure bigger than the ones I recall from out west. If not for the bushy tail . . . .

jswi2374 likes this.
  34. Red Wing

Red Wing Guide

Blog Posts:
    I feel like they help keep our lyme in check here. Just heard a pack howling last week off my front porch. I've never heard the packs outside of Wayne national.

jswi2374 likes this.
  35. schapm

schapm Elitist Inflated Ego LB42 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Not Ohio but about 10 years ago I noticed them getting a lot more common in my area. I’ve seen them trotting along the side of a highway that goes right through town, and anecdotally I’ve heard more and more stories of people in the housing developments closer to the edges of town losing pets to them. As others have mentioned they are highly adaptable!

jswi2374 likes this.
  36. Pacer01

Pacer01 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    They have been around here for years. They started getting thick about 10 years ago or so. Ground hogs and pheasants and gone and rabbits are few and far between. Seems like the number of deer is down quite a bit too. I hear of many people with trail cam pictures of them with fawns and small does. Driving around this fall I have seen more coyotes than deer

jswi2374 likes this.
  37. jswi2374

Blog Posts:
    I am starting to think about carrying when in the woods, just in case.

38. hlydon

hlydon Guide

Blog Posts:
    We heard several packs sounding off this weekend at Timbre Ridge Lake in southern Ohio. I love listening to them.

Red Wing likes this.
  39. TAHAWK

TAHAWK Guide

Blog Posts:
    A disease is killing off the White Tails -
    "COLUMBUS, OH – As of Aug. 1 [2018], portions of Holmes and Tuscarawas counties have been declared a Disease Surveillance Area (DSA) as part of the state’s ongoing efforts to monitor Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD), according to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR). This designation was made after a deer at a captive white-tailed deer facility in Holmes County tested positive for CWD. In addition, the state has established new carcass rules for hunters who hunt wild deer, elk, caribou and moose in other states.

The new carcass rules will apply to Ohio hunters who plan to travel out of state to hunt any CWD-susceptible species (white-tailed deer, mule deer, elk, caribou or moose). No person is permitted to bring or transport high-risk carcass parts of CWD-susceptible species into Ohio from any state or Canadian province, regardless of the CWD status of the exporting jurisdiction. Additional information on carcass regulations can be found at wildohio.gov.

The newly-established DSA includes the areas within a 6-mile radius from the CWD positive samples in Holmes County and includes: Wayne and Sugar Creek townships in Tuscarawas County, and Salt Creek, Paint, Berlin, Walnut Creek and Clark townships in Holmes County. This DSA designation will remain in effect for a minimum of three years. The area will be mapped and posted on the division’s website: Diseases in Wildlife: CWD

The following regulations will apply within the DSA:

• Requires hunters to bring deer carcasses harvested within the DSA boundaries to an ODNR Division of Wildlife inspection station for sampling during the deer-gun and deer muzzleloader seasons;

• Prohibits the placement of or use of salt, mineral supplement, grain, fruit, vegetables or other feed to attract or feed deer within the DSA boundaries. Prohibits hunting of deer by the aid of salt, mineral supplement, grain, fruit, vegetables or other feed within the DSA boundaries; and

• Prohibits the removal of a deer carcass killed by a motor vehicle within the DSA boundaries unless the carcass complies with deer carcass regulations.

Normal agricultural activities including feeding of domestic animals as well as hunting deer over food plots, naturally occurring or cultivated plants and agriculture crops are not prohibited.

Hunters harvesting deer within the DSA are required to deliver their deer to a carcass inspection station. Two locations have been designated as Carcass Inspection Stations for the deer-gun seasons and the deer muzzleloader season. Both locations will be open and staffed from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. during the deer-gun and deer muzzleloader seasons. The dates for these seasons are: Nov. 26-Dec. 2, Dec. 15-16 and Jan. 5-8, 2019.

• Sugarcreek Village Hall, 410 S Broadway St., Sugarcreek 44681.

• Walnut Creek Township Garage, 2490 Township Road 414, Dundee 44624.

Hunters will be asked to provide their confirmation number from the game check process as well as the location where the deer was killed (the address of the farm or nearest road intersection are acceptable). Tissue samples will be taken and tested for CWD. The process should take no more than 10 minutes; however, delays are likely at peak times of the day. Hunters are strongly encouraged to complete the game check process before proceeding to the inspection. Hunters that harvest a deer and wish to have it mounted will still need to bring their deer to a carcass inspection station. Samples will not be taken at the time, but staff will collect additional information so that samples can be collected later.

If hunters have questions about the carcass inspection stations or need directions to the locations, they may call 800-WILDLIFE or the Wildlife District Three office at 330-644-2293. The ODNR Division of Wildlife is responsible for protecting and managing Ohio’s fish and wildlife resources for the benefit of all Ohioans. We greatly appreciate the cooperation of hunters in helping us monitor Ohio’s deer herd. For more information about CWD, visit wildohio.gov.

The state’s first DSA, DSA 2015-01, which was established in 2015, has expired after being in place for three years with no evidence of CWD found in wild deer. The original DSA was established after CWD was first detected at a shooting preserve and breeding facility in Holmes County, and included portions of Holmes and Wayne counties."

40. plumberoy

plumberoy Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I saw the first coyote in Ohio in 1979. It crossed Indiana Ohio state line halfway between Ft. Recovery Ohio and Union City Ohio. People told me I was crazy, I saw a shepherd dog. I had just came back from working on a cattle ranch in Oklahoma where part of my job was to smoke every yote I saw I had killed 40 from July to late November so I knew what they looked like
    Man I worked for supplied me a Ruger #1 in 25-06 and all the ammo I needed .

Most people shot lever guns back then, coyotes had a bad habit of stopping just before going over a rise and looking back. That was a mistake if I had that 25-06 :4: :dblthumb:

41. CountryRoots

CountryRoots As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord

Blog Posts:
    My dad is just outside Cincinnati and the neighbors always move in with yappers... maybe he needs to import one to the neighbors backyard!

Sounds like a happy ending to me! Those things have been reported to kill up to 1/3+ of all the fawns each year up in Michigan!