1. Due to the amount of SPAM from foreign countries lately, we have made the decision to manually approve all new members. While we regret that this must be done and the added time that it will take for new members to be approved, it is necessary at this time. We hope to have legitimate new members approved in a timely manner, no longer than a couple of hours. If the Administrators are online at the time, it can be as soon as a couple of minutes. Thank you for your patience.
    Dismiss Notice

CPAP Batterys

Discussion in 'Sleep Systems' started by svh, Jun 16, 2017.

1. svh

svh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Anybody have any recommendations for a camping / back up battery for CPAP ? I need to get one so I can extend my outings.

Zornt and isme like this.
  2. isme

isme Guide

Blog Posts:
    Foothills of the Great Smoky mountains, Tn
    Headed back to work this morning at the hospital, I will check with the respitory therapists. A lot of them like to camp. One of them may have some ideas.

aaronu and svh like this.
  3. Moondog55

Moondog55 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Watching, just in case the information is also applicable over here because the brand dedicated Lithium Ion battery packs are both too expensive and have too little capacity. So far it seems that a small sized Calcium motorcycle battery plus a medium sized solar panel is the best bet for my usage but I can't carry that combo easily or very far

svh likes this.
  4. svh

svh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Thank you kind sir.

I see several on Amazon ..... They seem to be pricy. :eek: Lookin for real world experience to make my choice. I sure don't want to lug a car battery, and inverter around in my pack !

isme likes this.
  5. svh

svh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm afraid somethin like this might have to happen. Thanks for the reply.

I need to hire this guy !
    20-porter-with-heavy-load.jpg

6. Loogaroo

Loogaroo Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I use a pilot 24. Works great

isme and svh like this.
  7. Megalos

Megalos Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I never really liked my CPAP machine.......lucky enough to have found an oral appliance that works for me.

No batteries required.
    Easier to clean than CPAP.
    Light weight.

[​IMG]

Talk to your doc about options.

Good luck!

Bridgetdaddy and svh like this.
  8. isme

isme Guide

Blog Posts:
    Foothills of the Great Smoky mountains, Tn
    I checked at work and was told that the Freedom battery on Amazon was really good, light weight, and cheap.
    After looking at it they obviously make way more than I do.........
    Kinda makes me wonder if they are light weight...Lol
    I shoulda been a respiratory therapist....Lol

9. svh

svh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Thanks all for the replies, I'm gonna do some more research. I've been wonderin about those oral appliances .....

10. dub

dub Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Not really knowledgeable about CPAP batteries but could you recharge the battery with an Anker power bank? They run anywhere from $15 on up depending on the power and size you need.

11. svh

svh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Thanks ! I will add that to my research list.

12. captjim_nm

captjim_nm Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Since my CPAP runs on 12 volts I use gel cell batteries. I have a solar panel that recharges the batteries during the day. For a week long trip I just use a trolling motor battery. My old CPAP used only AC power so I had to use an inverter to change the 12 volt juice to 110 house power. I hope this helps you.

svh likes this.
  13. Moondog55

Moondog55 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Getting the smallest lightest CPAP machine will help. the newest versions of travel machines are a tenth the size of a decade ago and use much less power but the brand name battery packs that go with these new machines are still only good for 2 or 3 days, they have reduced the battery weight and capacity in favour of getting the size as small as possible and possible to comply with proposed maximum battery pack size limits for airline travel.
    I can get away with a few days without using mine and my need is caused by long years as a cook breathing all those dirty cooking fumes which caused my COPD. So I'm fine for a long W/E but need a machine forlonger than that

svh likes this.
  14. Bonekrakker

Bonekrakker Not a chiropractor Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My dad got a new battery for his the last time we went camping but it only lasted about a night and a half. We had previously been taking a spare car/marine battery and inverter like you said. The new one he got was probably 4x6x4 ish and maybe weighed a couple pounds. If you're only gonna be out one night, it's fine. A second one would get you 3 nights after you woke up choking the middle night, but would be much lighter than a car battery.

Edit to add we're normally camping out of a boat, not hiking in so weight isn't as big a deal

svh likes this.
  15. aaronu

aaronu Armchair Bushcrafter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Depends alot on what CPAP you have and what pressure it runs. There are some new travel machines out there that are very small; some even come with their own battery pack. Bring money.

Depending on CPAP pressure a Yeti 150 might get you one night's sleep. You can't use this one for a built-in humidifier though; it is a modified sine wave inverter and will mess up the heating element. Leave the humidifier at home. Yeti 150 weighs 12 pounds.

GoalZero Yeti 400 has more capacity and a pure sine wave inverter. At 29 pounds it is definitely not packable though. It can handle a humidifier but between that and running through an inverter you would be lucky to get one full night out of it. Leave the humidifier at home, and use a DC cable to power your CPAP and it should be good for maybe 3 days.

CPAP places sell a few single or multi-day packs. They use NiMH or LIon cells so they can be made much smaller. A good one is the C-100, which I think was replaced by the Freedom battery. The Freedom kit with charger and cables is $260 on Amazon. How many nights it lasts depends on CPAP pressure. You can add a second Freedom battery to double your energy capacity. A second battery with no extras is $210. They are very expensive but they are also ~ 2 pounds each.

You can make one easy enough out of an SLA battery and an ammo can. Add in a 12VDC socket and you're good. If you want to get fancy, get a connection plate with a few things. You can choose the best compromise between capacity and battery weight.

For car camping, get a deep cycle or RV battery and bungee cord it to a hand truck. Get a DC cable for your CPAP and a clip-on 12VDC socket. If you're camping more than a few days, don't forget to toss in a battery charger.

I made a portable power bank out of a scooter battery and a plastic ammo box. For a charger I have a Battery Tender Jr I wasn't using. Then I bought a cheap marine accessory panel. It has 2 x 2.1A USB, 12VDC and a voltmeter. I added a lighted switch to control stuff. I have a Tripplite 100w inverter that I plan to mount on the box. A hundred watts isn't much but it won't generate a ton of heat and it doesn't need a cooling fan. OTOH it is plenty to run small stuff, charge a laptop, etc. I forget how many amp-hours the battery is. Somewhere between the two Yeti packs, and the whole thing weighs about the same as a Yeti 150.

I'll try to remember to post some pictures.

svh likes this.
  16. Moondog55

Moondog55 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Yes Pictures please
    I have a year until I need my portable power pack, for the base camp I will put together something using a marine or deep cycle battery and a small solar panel, but it would be nice to be able to get away into the hard country for a week. Getting 5 to 7 nites from a packable power bank is going to be a hard ask, even with a good packable solar panel and Lithium batteries, not much sun for charging some days in the winter

svh likes this.
  17. svh

svh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for all the replies. I'm lookin into options, and will probably make something like @aaronu made. If I could get two nights, that would be awesome, but with my pressure being 18 IWC, I don't know. I don't usually use the heat, and humidity, so that's a plus.

18. 66drifter

66drifter Scout

Blog Posts:
    as mentioned above ^^^ BRING $$$

i use the TRANSCEND Auto mini which has the battery option butt the multi night battery only provides 1-1/2 nights worth of power

2 weeks ago on a multi-night trip off grid i had to re-charge from the boat/engine battery during the days while running

the solar rechargers claim to be able to do the trick and fold up quite small well and are light in weight

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/transcend-auto-cpap-machine-somnetics.html

lowenBhold and svh like this.
  19. lowenBhold

lowenBhold Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Definitely something that I think about and research often. ATM I haven't really found a solution that makes me want to buy it. I've haven't researched it much, but the most promising option that I've heard about is called a mini cpap. It supposedly has it's own rechargeable battery plus much smaller than most cpap machines.

https://www.minicpap.com/?gclid=Cjw...8NDRIHQdhVnFEeDZopmB57v9k_rsAPjVU6BoC9vDw_wcB

For car camping I have a small generator that is really quiet and uses very little fuel.

svh likes this.
  20. Griff4570

Griff4570 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have a machine that has a 12 volt plug, so the inverter must be built in. My machine is also set on 18. I get 3 nights easy out of a rv battery. No heat or humidifier. When it needs charged I hook up jumper cables and run the car for 45 minutes. Definitely not light or compact. I would like to buy the backpacker mini cpap machine, but not in the budget. I've been kicking around the idea of a motorcycle battery. Not a bike guy so not sure how much juice they hold.

svh likes this.
  21. Moondog55

Moondog55 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Well there are lots of big MC batteries out there, but like car batteries they are heavy compared to Lithium ion rechargables.
    I'm hoping that by this time next year there will be more options available, IMO they are way overpriced simply because they are a medical device

svh likes this.
  22. Kimber22

Kimber22 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Omaha/Council Bluffs and now it's Albuquerque!
    I have an old dinosaur. A big 'ol Resmed. I can get 5 days on a deep cycle battery 800 CCA with out using the humidifier. I only get 2 days with the humidifier and it doesn't work very good. I built a wood box to keep it in while at Rondy, so it didn't look out of place. I also bought an inverter, cut off the plug end, put on clamps, and use it with the battery. But you are stuck lugging it or close to the truck.

aaronu likes this.
  23. Malamute

Malamute Guide

Blog Posts:
    Im not familiar with the CPAP machines, but, if it has one of those little box things on the wall plug, youre going about it sort of backwards to use an inverter to power it with the wall plug. The box thing is a transformer to step the power down from 110 v AC to a lower voltage DC. My icewater pump I used after shoulder surgery ran on 110v, but used a transformer to get to some voltage, 12v or below. They had expensive battery packs available, but I figured there had to be a simpler and better way. For about $20 I bought a DC power source that was rated the same as my unit so I could use it when driving. Your machines power source should have info on output voltage and amps, or on the side of the unit, or in its manual. The power source I bought had different tips to mate with various styles/size plugs, and had adjustable voltage output, after pugging it into the vehicle cigarette lighter power source.

To take 12v dc, make it into 110v AC to then step down to some voltage DC of 12v or less is very inefficient. Taking 12v DC and making it into 9v or whatever, is very simple. And cheap. A smaller than car size 12v battery, maybe a largish motorcycle electric start battery, may be plenty for several days, or could be charged off the vehicle charging system, or solar.

This is the one I got for my icewater machine,

https://www.powerstream.com/dc6.htm

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    aaronu and svh like this.
  24. aaronu

Blog Posts:
    ^^^^ exactly right.

CPAPs are DC devices. Running an inverter a battery to power one is going from DC to AC back to DC, with inherent power loss in the inverter. Most are 12 VDC (warning: don't assume, look at your machine).

Uh.... I forgot to take pictures of my homebuilt power station. I will not be able to snap photos for at least a week -- sorry y'all. :(

svh likes this.
  25. Kimber22

Kimber22 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Omaha/Council Bluffs and now it's Albuquerque!
    My machine uses a standard 120V plug-in. I am not going from 12 V to 120V back to 12V. While in camp I need to convert to 120V from 12V. By doing that I use the deep cycle battery (12V), then the inverter that converts to 108V to be exact, and my machine operates as usual.

svh likes this.
  26. aaronu

Blog Posts:
    They all run on DC internally. Some of the older ones had the power supply built into the unit rather than the power cord but there should be a DC power input on the back in addition to the AC input.

Sounds like you already have a good setup and get some good runtimes so this is really just for the sake of discussion. The reason a person might care is because if they can use direct DC power it will bypass the inverter AND the internal power supply. That would save ~20% to 50% energy loss, which translates into the same runtime with a much smaller battery (more portable, stash in a smaller box, etc.) or provide quite a bit more runtime on the existing setup.

On the other hand -- some Resmed units use oddball DC voltages and aren't worth the effort. For example the Resmed S9 runs on 24 volts. There are DC adapters available for them but the loss inherent in the step-up circuit means you won't see as much improvement. Add to that, the DC adapters are stupid expensive ($95). Not really worth it for a few hours more runtime.

Malamute and svh like this.
  27. Moondog55

Moondog55 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Obviously if you have a choice you go with a model that takes 12V DC input, it makes using a battery easier

svh likes this.
  28. Malamute

Malamute Guide

Blog Posts:
    The unit I linked to steps it down from 12 volt to 1.5V, 3V, 5V, 6V, 7.5V, or 9V, and costs less than $20. You can get simple 12v cords that adapt from cigarette lighter plugs to your machine if its 12v, but any of the other voltages listed are just an adjustment on the front of the device, and it has a selection of plug sizes for the device.

29. aaronu

Blog Posts:
    Here is my homemade power unit. Sorry it took so long. The last month or so has been... unusual.

Here are some notes.

1. 12 Volt, 22Ah AGM battery, weighs 12 pounds-ish. For a CPAP running high pressure (14+) this is barely adequate for two days between charges. Running at 16-18 one would be lucky to get 14 hours total with a regular sized machine.
    2. USB ports are switched. The voltmeter currently isn't hooked up.
    3. This works fine but it's not done. At a minimum it needs a 15A fuse between the battery and terminal blocks. I should use 10 gauge wire for the battery connections and 12VDC socket. The 14 gauge wire has plenty of capacity but I'd feel better in the event the DC port got shorted out.
    4. The red box is a Tripplite PV150. It is a very small inverter but enough to run a CPAP (no humidifer), laptop or other small item. I thought about building it into the box; that is why the current stuff is offset like it is. But honestly I don't want to have to use it anyway so...
    5. The AC adapter is a Battery Tender. It is a battery maintainer and does a 750 mA trickle charge which is enough to recharge the battery if it is plugged in during the day. Obviously an automotive battery charger would be faster.
    6. The Battery Tender uses an SAE connector which is wired directly to the battery. One of these days I may put an SAE port on the side of the box for the charge port but they are like $12. :mad:
    7. Could also add a charge controller for solar panels. I'll do that if and when I get some solar panels. :)
    8. The box is a sealed container, so in order to charge the battery the lid must be open. I may install a vent at some point.
    9. The battery is mounted into the box, and the terminal blocks mounted to the battery using 3M VHB tape. Trust me: that is some strong stuff.
    10. I made this because I wanted portable power at campsites and for a barbecue temp controller. If you want something for multiple days of camping, just get a larger battery, a marine battery box with 12VDC port and a 300W-400W inverter. Wire the inverter to the battery box terminals and be done with it. Check out Sandcut's post in the portable power thread.

Power Box top down.jpg Power Box with charger.jpg Power Box front.jpg

doulos, svh and that mike dude like this.
  30. Moondog55

Moondog55 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Nicely done
    I was just going to shop at an auto or 4*4 store and get a ready made battery box with all those bits added and use my 2 small 1.5A solar panels with it for my fixed camps with the biggest deep cycle 12V battery I can afford
    It's the backpacking side of things will ruin next ski season for me if I can't find a 2 or 3 day portable battery system, my therapist says I can get away with 4 to 5 hours a night if it's good sleep so I plan on going to sleep as normal and putting the mask on when I wake up as usual in the middle of the sleep period

31. Malamute

Malamute Guide

Blog Posts:
    Very nicely done. Excellent project results. Saving the pics for awesomeness. and future reference.

I dont know if smaller deep cycle batteries are made, but rather than a huge heavy car battery, one might want to check the specs on various lawn mower and electric start motorcycle batteries and find a nice balance of size/weight vs power storage performance. The one above looks good, but there may be other slightly larger sizes that may give longer use if needed.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  32. aaronu

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the kind words. FYI since then I added a second switch to power the voltmeter. I don't think there's much draw there but I am OCD about parasitic loss. And I dredged up another switch so why not.

To clarify: this setup will power a typical CPAP (e.g. System One, REMStar, etc.) for two days/14 hours on the inverter. It may go three days using a DC plug, or maybe two days plus keeping your small electronics charged.

As for other batteries -- yeah, there are tons of deep cycle batteries out there, for scooters, electric wheelchairs, etc. I used what I had, but if I wanted this to last longer I found a 12VDC, 14Ah battery whose length is just a hair under the interior width of this particular box. It's possible to get three of them in the bottom of the box, wired in parallel. They are about $25 each. Two of them would cost $50 and provide 28Ah, and far better balance in the box (Plano / Cabelas large ammo box). Three would be even better, but for $75 it would be way more cost effective to just buy a cheap full sized battery and an inverter.

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-replaces-cb12-12-np12-12-bp12-12/dp/B00UC8PAXM

Cheers,

Aaron

svh and Malamute like this.
  33. Malamute

Malamute Guide

Blog Posts:
    Yeah phantom or parasitic power loss is a real thing, not to be taken lightly. The solar system I built for a cabin went dead in a few days with little use. Talking to the solar guy, he said all the little transformers much of our modern domestic life is powered by, like an answering machine,m cordless phone, cell chargers and whatnot eat far more power then we realize. I eliminated some of them or only used some when actually needed, and it helped my storage greatly. I still had to buy more panels to meet my full use requirements, but it was a lesson learned.

The family that bought the cabin got rid of the solar, it wouldnt run the womens hair dryers very well.

svh and aaronu like this.
  34. Malamute

Malamute Guide

Blog Posts:
    Re-reading this again, the CPAP question came up elsewhere. Id just add that I'm all for eliminating the inverter whenever possible, its wasting power to use it if the end requirement is 12vDC or less, and an unnecessary expense if not required for the device needing power. Most devices dont use 120v AC internally.

When living off grid power wise, I was curious about my bedside radio, its one of those wooden, old fashioned looking things with modern internals. Taking it apart, it had no external transformer, just the plain cord running into the case, but once the 120V power was inside the case, it stepped down to something less I think it was 9 volt). I realized iI could add a power port and run it off a battery Either the correct voltage battery, or with a simple step down device to go from 12v to 9v or whatever it took, and have no power loss with an inverter. and resultant transforming back to DC.

If one has a battery operated radio (boom box) that also has a 120v power cord, its the same principal. Whatever the end voltage of the required batteries it takes* is, thats the actual power requirement (1.5v per cell of regular AA, C or D batteries). Many devices also have a power port for use with car power, stepping down to whatever the actual voltage is. ity should ahve the actual voltage use marked on the device, usually by the port, or on the main information tag or molded info area.

*If the radio takes 6 D batteries for example, then multiply 6 x 1.5 Volts per battery, and you get 9 volts. Thats what the radio actually uses internally. Making 12v DC battery into 120v AC, then back into 9V DC again is backwards and wasting power at every step.

svh and aaronu like this.
  35. aaronu

Blog Posts:
    Here's what I use mine for.

Battery Box and WSM.jpg

Birdies on the WSM.jpg

That was a week ago. Smoked chickens "hot and fast" -- came out good. For the next few days we had some killer smoked chicken sandwiches for lunch.

The week before I did an overnight cook with the temp controller (Pitmaster IQ120). I put the brisket on at 1:00 AM. 18+ pounds, had to cut it in two pieces to fit on my smoker. Without a temp controller I would have been up every two hours checking on things. Instead, I just checked it when I got up. It hit the stall not long after I got up, after which I wrapped it and cooked for another few hours. Then it went into a cooler to rest until dinner time. Hours later it was still too hot to handle with bare hands.

I live in Seattle but I work in Texas, and I'm a huge Texas style BBQ fan. This is the first brisket I've ever done that I think is good enough to even put in the same sentence as ACTUAL Texas brisket. I will never match the know-how of an experienced Texas pitmaster and I don't have a big ol' offset smoker, and by Texas standards my brisket was "just OK" or "pretty good" -- but I'm mighty proud. Happy birthday to me.

Good Brisket.jpg

The lighting sucks for the above photo so my ego compels me to mention there's a healthy smoke ring on that brisket, but the crummy cell phone pic doesn't show it well.

FYI I'm running the Pitmaster IQ120 on a 150w inverter with passive cooling. I could rig up a DC connection for the IQ120 but as it is new I'd rather not. Pitmaster offers a DC adapter cable that isn't expensive so I'll just do that, and keep my warranty intact. But even running through an inverter the Pitmaster can run all night for "low and slow" off of the battery. The inverter will get warm but not hot. This lets me use the smoker and temp controller pretty much anywhere and I don't have to worry about outlet locations or extension cords.

I've also used the pack to fully charge a laptop (via the inverter). It charged just as fast as plugging it into the wall, and again the inverter got warm but not hot.

Running a CPAP through the inverter at, say, pressure 16 gets 12 - 14 hours. If you sleep 6-7 hours a night that's fine, but more than that and the machine will shut off some time your second morning. Running via DC power I'd estimate 20 - 24 hours. Good for two full nights for sure, and probably for three.

My battery pack is about 15 pounds. It would work well for camping but it's too heavy for backpacking. For backpacking I don't see any way around lithium or another expensive battery chemistry, and for true portability you need a travel CPAP. There are specialty CPAP's with travel batteries. The Z1 from Human Design Medical, which plugs into a battery housing. The Transcend has two available battery packs. They call them overnight and multi-night batteries but really they are "most of the night" and "one full night" batteries when you get into the higher CPAP pressures. There's also the ResMed AirSense Mini. That one weighs 2/3 of a pound. Add a Freedom battery (1.7 lbs) and a mask and you're still under 3 pounds of weight. Not to mention your wallet would be so much lighter you might just float away in a strong breeze.

@Moondog55 could likely get 4-5 nights from a travel CPAP and TWO Freedom batteries (just over 4 lbs for small CPAP, mask and two batteries). Any pack-able solar solution wouldn't fully recharge the battery but it would add another day or two depending on circumstances.

Cheers,

Aaron

svh, Malamute and that mike dude like this.
  36. that mike dude

that mike dude Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
  37. aaronu

Blog Posts:
    True -- the trick is knowing enough about electronics to wire into an integrated power supply on your whatever. And it's not something I'd recommend for medical equipment.

There are a lot of factors involved, but as a rule of thumb an inverter can cost as much as 50% of your energy. That's why I tend to use the smallest inverter that will do the job. The larger an inverter is, the more energy it uses to create alternating current out of direct current. And it will draw energy any time it is plugged in and turned on, even if nothing's plugged into the inverter. My kids surprised me with this amazing fact on a trip one time by leaving a 300w inverter running when we stopped for lunch. 45 minutes later we needed a jump start.

Another way to figure out AC current draw is an energy meter like the Kill A Watt. It's a $20 investment that pays for itself many times over, if one uses it to make informed energy decisions.

Until recently, one could take a 9V battery apart. New ones may be constructed in layers but all the older 9V batteries are made from 6 x AAAA cells. That's why they are relatively expensive batteries. You're not buying one battery; you're buying a six pack of them. And although 9V batteries can be spendy, they are not as spendy as a pack of AAAA batteries -- if you can even find them.

svh and Malamute like this.
  38. aaronu

Blog Posts:
    Some I had, some I found on Amazon. Some might have come from Arrow Electronics.

I'd start by searching Amazon for 12 volt meter, 12 volt outlet and 12 volt panel. Auto parts stores and marine supply places may have some of this stuff too. If you 're making something similar but with a full sized battery, save yourself some hassle and get a trolling motor box with a voltage meter and 12v sockets.

Here's a gizmo on Amazon that includes a mounting plate: http://a.co/fxG8FsE. I used some of the same parts in my battery box.

I have a spare 12v gauge, a terminal blocks and some solderless terminals if you can use them. Just PM me an address and I'll send it out this weekend.

Malamute likes this.
  39. Malamute

Malamute Guide

Blog Posts:
    Could you expand on the integrated power supply part you mentioned? Do you mean like a CPAP that has an integrated internal transformer rather than an external power port plug?

The radio example was an attempt to illustrate the point that even with no visible transformer, the radio didnt actually use a full 120V to work, rather than encourage anyone to rewire into an integrated internal transformer device. I wasnt very clear on the storyline there. :( Those with external power ports are pretty simple to power up. I wouldnt be too shy about going into a radio to add a power port plug though.

When I ordered the power source for my icepack, I called the company and asked the guy if it was OK for my use, he asked me to look up some info on my device, then told me what to look for for power source to use, and that their unit would work fine. My device isnt quite as sophisticated as a CPAP, but the basics still apply I believe. Provided the proposed power source is the correct voltage and amp range. Is there more that needs to taken into consideration, or does that cover the requirements?

https://www.powerstream.com/dc6.htm

You mentioned laptops. They seem to be some odd voltage, 16.5 or 18 or some odd increment from what I recall looking at the cord for the output of the last one I saw.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    svh likes this.
  40. that mike dude

Blog Posts:
    @aaronu thanks for the info. I am considering a 35ah sealed battery. I need to get some measurements this week so I can determine a box size.

aaronu likes this.
  41. svh

svh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for all the info guys. I'm in limbo at this moment, as I took another sleep test a few days ago ..... I was at 16 iwc, but I've lost a ton of weight, and the tech said my pressures were gonna be lower on my new machine. Either way I have to come up with somethin, as I'm still not a good candidate for an oral appliance.

aaronu and that mike dude like this.
  42. that mike dude

Blog Posts:
    I'm in the same boat. I'm losing weight but hace resigned myself that this is the way it is for now. My throat is narrow and I have a deviated septum which can be fixed but Ive been through enough this year. If I want to get out then I have to have a power source and make the best of it.

aaronu likes this.
  43. aaronu

Blog Posts:
    That's what I thought YOU were saying. And it's certainly possible, as long as the device has a discrete power source, an enterprising soul could figure out the internal voltage and wire something in. But for anything with an existing DC power input the work is already done.

The Powerstream is a non-isolated DC step-down "buck" circuit, and per the specs it operates at 54% to 78% efficiency depending on DC voltage output selection. I read that to mean there is significant loss, although not as severe as a big inverter.

There are also step-up DC converters. Older ones (as in before solid state) converted to AC, stepped up through a transformer then rectified back to DC. I've also worked on systems that did this with electric motors connected to a generator. Those work and can handle a lot of power but there's maintenance involved and tremendously low efficiency. One system I worked on used amplidynes to drive some giant-ass servo motors. Power efficient it was not, but if you want a multi-ton device to turn on a dime, that's what you do.

As for laptop batteries, most use lithium ion cells, which have a nominal voltage of 3.7 volts each. No matter what the power adapter says, you'll find that the computer's battery voltage is a multiple of 3.7. My Dell Inspiron 15 has a 40 Wh, 14.8 volt battery and it just happens to be exactly the right size and shape to contain 4 x 18650 batteries. And 4 x 3.7 just happens to be 14.8. My work computer has a 19.5 volt adapter. The internal battery is 11.1 volts -- which would be 3 x 3.7 volt cells. I have a couple old Dell Latitudes that use the PA-10 adapter, which is 19.5 volts. But all the batteries are (again) 11.1 volts. I also have a DC power adapter for those old Latitudes, which apparently steps up voltage to 19.5. I could keep rambling but the point is, all these computers have relatively sophisticated power management and can turn whatever input voltage into whatever is needed in the laptop. For the times I need to charge up a laptop from a power box I'll just use an inverter.

Malamute, svh and that mike dude like this.
  44. aaronu

Blog Posts:
    You're welcome sir. FYI 35Ah batteries are used all over -- wheelchairs, lawn tractors, trolling motors, you name it. They are usually group U1 battery. Search Group U1 battery and you'll find batteries and made-to-fit battery boxes.

I looked up a U1 battery up and it was 7.71" x 5.18" x 6.89"

Malamute and svh like this.
  45. aaronu

Blog Posts:
    Sleep apnea is a catch-22. Weight gain can cause obstructive sleep apnea but it's also true that sleep apnea can lead to weight gain. About 2/3 of those diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea are obese, meaning 1/3 of OSA sufferers are NOT obese -- but many of those are at risk of weight gain because of OSA. Sleep apnea and weight gain are a vicious circle. Either condition can lead to the other, and it's a downward spiral. @that mike dude -- sounds like you might be in the second bucket with the deviated septum and narrow throat as both contribute to obstructive sleep apnea.

For anyone with sleep apnea that is overweight, the obvious action is to treat the sleep apnea and break out of the vicious circle by losing weight. Better yet, turn it around. Get and stay active, and be diligent about OSA treatment. Wearing a mask to bed every night is a pain but it's important to get sufficient, good quality sleep every night. So does the right sleeping gear. That's the reason I like hammock camping, and why I like wool blankets; that's the stuff that works best for me. I sleep better in those than I do in a mummy bag. It doesn't hurt that between my hammock and wool blankets I've spent LESS than the cost of a decent quality down bag.

Staying active should definitely include getting outside, and for a CPAP all you really need to do overnights is a car battery and an inverter. Just because your camp is at a park or campground doesn't mean you can't wander the woods by day. Do what you can do, take what you can get, etc. Every step you take out of doors, every minute you sleep out in the woods is empowerment. It's you not letting this crap stop you. On top of that it's the second best way on the planet to reduce stress.

I know. Preaching to the choir. You guys have heard it all before. But I feel better now. :)

svh and that mike dude like this.
  46. that mike dude

Blog Posts:
    aaronu likes this.
  47. Malamute

Malamute Guide

Blog Posts:
    Great posts, thanks for the information!

svh likes this.