Crawfish and a mini review

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Gathering' started by Paulyseggs, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Paulyseggs

Paulyseggs Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Got out today!! I've been feelin like a complete sack of turds. Was in the hospital for a few days to have my stent checked out, humidity has been really effecting my breathing. But today was a good day!!

Hit the river with my girls for some crawfish. We just wade around and scoop em up with dip nets.
    20190713_1229101.jpg
    Few hours later we had about 10lbs worth 20190713_1323401_02.jpg
    This is my 2dollar livewell. Dollar Tree pool noodle+mesh laundry bag and tied together with bank line from @andy.t
    Closer shot of the lively buggers 20190713_1323081.jpg

A few weeks ago i got a really cool knife/sheath(s) set from @rnpollard
    https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/victorinox-paring-knives-in-kydex-sheaths.243630/

This sheath was a newer style for him and he asked me to review it. I purchased this myself and have no obligation to rnpollard other than to tell the board what I thought.

It was very secure as a neck knife. Also flat and comfortable. I wore it under my kit bag and didn't notice it one bit.

I fell a few times in the water and the knife stayed fully secure in the sheath.

It's extremely lightweight! Perfect for my wet wading fishing excursions. 20190713_1356521.jpg
    Here are both style sheaths along with a Victorinox 3 1/2in utility knife 15630469572892097252010.jpg I can see myself using the other style sheath as a easy IWB carry. I carry another thin knife like that. I'll make a small loop of cord to the end of the sheath. Slide my belt thru the loop and wear the knife IWB in my appendix area. Be a great lighweight hiking/small game knife for alot of things.

Both sheaths snap and hold the blade very secure.
    I may take some material off the new style to expose some more of the knife handle. But not much.

I really like them. Very useful and the knives themselves can be bought for just a few dollars. I may buy a serrated one for cutting bait.

I give them :dblthumb:

2. Paulyseggs

Blog Posts:
    At the river we killed all the crawfish and took just the tails home. I split every one of those with the Victorinox and my wife was the tail twisteroffer. I left the bodies there in the river to feed the rest of them and to keep the bears outta my garbage.

Once home I chilled them and took out the poop chutes by twisting the tail fins off and pulling. If the tails are large enough you can pop the meat outta the shell with a rolling pin. But alot of these were small and alot were molting. Resulting in a smear of meat. So most have the shells on. 20190713_164629_Film3.jpg

I'm going to saute them in some butter and a little garlic.

Just some fun foraging with the family

3. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Ya don't suck the head?! :11: lol

Nice harvest!
    Man, 10lbs. I'd be purging them in salt water and asking the neighbor to borrow his turkey fryer.
    But sauteed in garlic butter sounds might good, too. What a feast.

4. Bryan King

Bryan King Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Looked like fun, and another reward when you eat'em. Nice trip report.

rustystove2017 likes this.
  5. Paulyseggs

Blog Posts:
    Next time I'll do em like that. It came out really good!

I need more nets. Best one was a dollar store butterfly net with a 4ft handle. The net in my hand in the pic was too big and spooking alot more than I caught.

Next adventure is clamming and seine netting silversides. Possibly crabbing.

rustystove2017, slysir and PAcanis like this.
  6. Paulyseggs

Blog Posts:
    Thanks! Had a blast!

I had been using that pukko U made as my fishing/hunting knife but my trip to Florida in April I got it soaked pretty good in saltwater and it got rather rusted. I was pretty bummed but it cleaned up nice. So I'm happy to have a more disposable blade.

highlander, rustystove2017 and slysir like this.
  7. icemancometh

icemancometh Stuck in Suburbia Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Looks like a great time and sounds like a great meal!

Paulyseggs likes this.
  8. slysir

slysir Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    You mentioned crabbing. It's a fun, and rewarding thing to do down here. I've done it many times. There's a special trap. It's a pyramid with folding sides lowered on a rope. You tie chicken parts to the bottom then lower into the water from a bridge or walk way. Watch the devils come for it. When you see a couple in the trap raise the line and the sides close up.

https://sciencing.com/catch-blue-crabs-florida-5816832.html

-John

Oni, blind & lost and Paulyseggs like this.
  9. the_dude

the_dude Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Nice!

Only time I've foraged crayfish, I boiled them in big pot on an open fire and ate them like candy bars, shells-claws-eyeballs and all.

Lichen and Paulyseggs like this.
  10. Paulyseggs

Blog Posts:
    I've seen those and the hoop ones. I used to go with my uncle alot as a kid. We used to handline them and scoop with a dip net.

Alot of these were molting. Like a softshell crab. I ate them with the tail shell.

slysir likes this.
  11. Paulyseggs

Blog Posts:
    It really was.

You know you had a good time when your lyin in bed falling asleep and thinking about the next time you can go again:)

icemancometh and slysir like this.
  12. EternalLove

EternalLove Guide

Blog Posts:
    Awesome!

A few questions: Purging them in salt water? I assume that purging them would mean keeping them alive in a large livewell at home and starving them for a couple of days with a couple of changes of fresh clean water before cooking them. This would help to clean out their system.

Twisting the tail to take out the poop shute is a new one for me and clever. It's been a year since I had some and I think the chute would just come out as I was pulling the tail off. This is how I consume whole lobster as well. I think ripping off the tails while at the river is clever.

As for eating them whole as @the_dude, I do that with shrimp and prawns too but only when fried at places where consming the shrimp with shell, tale, and all is expected. Soft shelled crabs too.

slysir and Paulyseggs like this.
  13. Paulyseggs

Blog Posts:
    Purging them I have no idea on!

As far as the poop tract removal.
    The anal vent is at the base of the tail at the center fin on all shrimp/lobsters/prawns/crawfish. U need to remove that or the vein wont come out. Its right under the center fin of the tail. On bigger things like lobster or prawns you can remove just that fin. My fingers weren't nimble enough on these. So I just twisted and pulled the whole thing.

I eat alot of things shell but this winter I had the horn from a mantis shrimp get stuck in the roof of my mouth. That really hurt!!

slysir likes this.
  14. PAcanis

Blog Posts:
    Purging is simply a saltwater bath. Done to get them to empty their digestive tracts before dumping them whole into the boiling water (after rinsing). They are alive before the purge and after the purge.
    This way you don't need to pay any attention vein/tract.

15. 66drifter

66drifter Guide

Blog Posts:
    shucks... after being boiled that stuff is sterile innyhow

we always keep 'em whole/alive if we intend to cook/eat them

rustystove2017 and Paulyseggs like this.
  16. PAcanis

Blog Posts:

Hey, the place in LA I got my mudbugs from said to purge them, so I did :dblthumb:
    It doesn't kill them.

Paulyseggs and 66drifter like this.
  17. TomC

TomC Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I could pinch tail and suck head all day. 10 lbs is just a small appetizer for one never mind a family of four. ;)

I like the live well idea, I'll have to copy that. Ever try it with fish @Paulyseggs ?

Paulyseggs likes this.
  18. Woods Walker

Woods Walker Rattlesnake Charmer. Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I use paring knives all the time in the woods. Going to do a video on um. Did shatter one twisting and cutting into cold pepperoni so not super strong but very UL and cuts great. I have them in bright colors and black and in a few sizes. Also SAK has a red sheath which works though could DIY Kydex.

happywanderer and Paulyseggs like this.
  19. Paulyseggs

Blog Posts:
    It was a side dish to pork chops and grilled squash and salad.

I did use the live well with fish. Had 5 large sea robins in it a couple of weeks ago. Probably 20lbs total. I would like to use a heavier rubber coated mesh like on a catch and release net. The laundry bash mesh holds alot of slime. And if you leave that in your wifes car for a few summer days she starts yellin and askin why her car smells like an "oceanic death pool":4:

I generally carry a SAK and don't do alot of torque heavy things with them. I am very familiar with paring knives in a kitchen setting but the woods use never crossed my mind. Maybe because I thought of them as "work stuff" and I go outdoors to escape work so deep down In the recesses of my brain I shunned them subconsciously.

20. rustystove2017

rustystove2017 Guide

Blog Posts:
    too funny....

Paulyseggs likes this.
  21. fishiker

fishiker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Looks like a lot of great family fun. My 5 year old son is slowly coming around to catching crawfish by hand. We've logged quite a few hours on the water so far this summer but have released our catch. You're assessment of the knife/sheath combo by @rnpollard is dead on in my opinion. I've replaced the Mora on my fishing pack with one and I couldn't be happier with it. Thanks for the review and pics.

rnpollard and Paulyseggs like this.
  22. rnpollard

rnpollard Mora Aficionado and Kydex Bender Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    @Paulyseggs and at @fishiker I can't tell you how much I enjoy hearing about and seeing my work being used. Paul the pics just make it better.

With a set up like this the question isn't why should I carry this but why not.

For years I carried set ups like this and I carried the knife and sheath on my person and a couple of back up knives in my ruck. Doing a couple of years in California I found a couple of occasions where I had to stop a blade in a trash can, this wasn't a problem because it was only about $8 and I had more in my car or back at the room.

I've taken a step outside my comfort zone a couple of times with the pancake style sheath that Paul is wearing in the pic above, with the Mora Knives Classic #1 (and soon to add the Classic #2) and the Great Eastern Cutlery knives I've posted elsewhere. I enjoy doing new things in new ways.

Thanks for the post Paul.

Rick

fishiker and Paulyseggs like this.
  23. kronin323

kronin323 the barbarian Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Nice.

I can't say I've ever seen crawfish, or any other crustaceans, shelled before cooking unless they were meant to be served raw. Otherwise they were always cooked live in shell, then shell removed. The Louisiana boys I know, they'll do a big crawfish boil and then at the end they'll shuck any uneaten crawfish to reuse the tailmeat later, but everything got cooked at the boil.

But Japanese sushi, though shrimp/ebi is cooked, the sweet shrimp amaebi is served raw. In the US they typically use spot prawns but I've had some in Hawaii from the shrimp trucks that were so little you just ripped off the head and ate the rest raw, including shell. If I ever get the chance again I just may eat the whole dang thing raw, head and all. They were super-delicious.

And I love softshell / molting crustaceans. Haven't had a chance to try softshell crawfish but it sounds delicious. They're a little harder to catch around here than the method you used.

Overall, good stuff!!!