Creek Stewart Whiskey Knives

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by MississipVol, Oct 5, 2016.

1. MississipVol

MississipVol Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I was wondering if any of you had seen that Creek Stewart had come out with his new line of Whiskey Knives. They are carbon blades forged in KY with handles made from upcycled oak whiskey barrel staves.

They are nice looking budget friendly knives. For only $85 the "camp" version comes with both a kydex and leather sheath. It is 8.5" total with a 3.5" blade. He has it listed as a double hollow grind with an asymmetrical bevel that he recommends you only sharpen on one side. I hadn't seen that before so I wondered what the forum thought.

Here is the link for the full line:
    WHISKEY KNIVES

[​IMG]

2. Schmittie

Schmittie Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Knife looks interesting. I like the idea for the handles. Unique.

The leather sheath is stapled? :6:

3. Jasonacraft

Jasonacraft Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I want to like it, I really do. But something about that handle says to me: I won't fit good in your hand. I don't know why [emoji53]

Winterhorse and jasam like this.
  4. Chevrolet4x4s

Chevrolet4x4s Guide

Blog Posts:
    Aside from the raised pins I think it would be very comfortable. Similar handles to the Kepharts that I have made.
    Shane

Winterhorse and Jasonacraft like this.
  5. VtBlackDog

VtBlackDog Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Mmmmmm.....pass
    The marketing angle seems like its aimed at the lumbersexual market, and the desings dont do much for me...and that grind (though it might work great) is the kiss of death...

Oh well...still really like Creek and hope he gets back on tv

clanmaki, mainewoods, wizard and 2 others like this.
  6. Ranger

Ranger Guide

Blog Posts:
    I think I will pass on this one.....

clanmaki likes this.
  7. Vanitas

Vanitas Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I like the Corvid (sp) only one thing... I HATE aluminum pins... I've bent and broken a ton of handles with aluminum pins due to the aluminum bending and messing up the handle slabs.

8. Rosh

Rosh Compulsive Maker

Blog Posts:
    That's really cool. I'm for anything made from whiskey barrels. A lot of work went into them from the cooper to whiskey maker. Seems a shame to waste em. I the look of the knives too, but the handles look a lil skinny for my taste. Good for Creek. Props to anyone that can make a living in a field they love.

Bitterfists likes this.
  9. EternalLove

EternalLove Guide

Blog Posts:
    I know Creek and Grylls are looked up to on this forum so I won't offer an honest critique but for me I will pass on this.

Cute though.

10. the cow

the cow Tracker

Blog Posts:
    They're certainly nice looking knives but they don't quite sit well with me. The handles look a bit funky and the aluminum rivets might not hold up under hard use that choppers are commonly subjected to. With asymmetrical grinds, I have limited experience with

clanmaki likes this.
  11. Not yet know

Not yet know Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    Looks like a handfull of splinters waiting to happen...

12. Twistokane

Twistokane Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I wonder if he will be using this knife himself instead of the SK-5 from now on.

13. highlander

highlander Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Creek yes...Grylls not so much. I guess you could always soak the handles in water to remove the excess whiskey. I like the look, but not so sure about the a symmetrical grind.

14. Cberg1975

Cberg1975 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Has anyone used one of these yet?

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

rsnurkle likes this.
  15. Haggis

Haggis Guide

Blog Posts:
    I can't get past the thoughts of whiskey spelled with an "e",,,

16. Winterhorse

Winterhorse Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Hmm...knives and whiskey. What could go wrong?:)

svh, DavidJAFO, MrFixIt and 1 other person like this.
  17. Dusty Tom

Dusty Tom Scout

Blog Posts:
    Looks like a fine knife but kinda pricey. You can get a US made 3.5 inch GFA knife in 1095 for less than half the price.

Haggis and LongChinJon like this.
  18. buckfynn

buckfynn Old Geezer Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I don't like their asymmetrical grind.

Haggis likes this.
  19. Richard4189

Richard4189 Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    I purchased the Rook because I've always wanted to try a small(er) kukri style knife. I have XL glove sized hands and the handle fits them very well. Like some I am concerned about mixing the aluminum rivets with hard steel, but only time and use will tell -- nothing ventured, nothing gained. The rivets are a little raised, but not enough to create any inconvenience in my bare hands. Splinters are not a concern I have with these handles due to the way they are finished.
    While they highlight the asymmetrical grind, mine appears to have a bevel on both sides of the blade, using a straight edge along the side confirms this. I have used both single and double beveled edges and cannot get all twisted up about which is better.
    I've only had a chance to use this knife in light cutting around the house and have been pleased. It arrived very sharp. I hope to give it some harder use this coming weekend.
    All the knives in this line are unique and have a look that appeals to me.

LongChinJon, Bitterfists, svh and 3 others like this.
  20. JasonJ

JasonJ Guide

Blog Posts:
    Anyone have any update on how these are doing after some time of use?

rsnurkle likes this.
  21. Keoni

Keoni Scout

Blog Posts:
    Man, where to start. From the looks of it it seems like it would be uncomfortable to hold and use for a while. Some of those knives look like the handles are all wrong (too thin or too blocky), the grind on the camp knife doesn't seem like it would be good for every task around camp but more so for cutting food. That leather sheath if probably the ugliest thing I've seen in leather since I seen a 300 lbs. cross dressing hairy man in a mini skirt. Staples, really? I mean it's cool that they have a leather sheath included in that price as well as a Kydex sheath (if it's really Kydex) but would it hurt to just rivet that thing or just send it without the staples and let them learn to sew leather lol.

That Bonelick knife with it's leather "scales" just screams uncomfortable and I wonder how well it'll hold up to getting wet. I like the tango knife the most because it doesn't have much to complain about lol.

I'd take the money and buy a Jeff White knife and find a cheap sheath on eBay or KSF. Nothing against Creek (don't know him besides something I seen on the net once) but I think I'd think again about the designs.

Now I feel old. Get off my lawn *shakes fists*.

jasam and Jasonacraft like this.
  22. DavidJAFO

DavidJAFO Guide

Blog Posts:
    "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are."
    svh likes this.
  23. DavidJAFO

DavidJAFO Guide

Blog Posts:
    "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are."
    hello,
    Brother @Winterhorse we Scots have been mixing knives & whisky since the Picts what could go wrong? (thinks to myself) Yeah your right.. :8:
    Regards
    David

svh, Winterhorse and crewhead05 like this.
  24. backwoodstrails

backwoodstrails anatidaephobic Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I picked up his $85 camp knife. It comes with a stapled leather sheath (probably as good as rivets) , Kydex sheath, Wooden storage box, nice cloth bag and even some
    "Creek" branded band-aids. I purchased it for the great "Rustic" look. You can sharpen it normally as the asymmetrical bevel is barely noticeable and will go away with a few sharpenings .
    The handle is a bit too small for my hand for extended use such as making feather sticks. It works as a basic camp knife to cut up food and such. My kitchen knives have smaller handles and work well for kitchen
    tasks and this knife works in a similar fashion. I would not call it a bushcraft knife, at least not for people with larger hands.

If you want a cool looking, knock around, camp knife - I like it for what it is.
    As far as bushcraft, I can't seem to find a more comfortable handle than the Sargent Primitive or the BCNW-01, however everyone's hand is different and comfort is subjective.

rsnurkle and DavidJAFO like this.
  25. Area FiftyOne

Area FiftyOne Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I watched his presentation and looked for a welt on his sheath. I didn't see it!!! You have to "upgrade" to get his deluxe sheath. I decided I don't need a knife from Creek Stewart. I want a symmetrical ground knife made with good steel with flush brass or steel pins and properly finished scales. Hmmpf!!!!

jasam likes this.
  26. Tor Helge

Tor Helge Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    As I prefer knives With as small ricasso as possible, these knife pics just slaps me in the face.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Other than that they seems fine enough.

27. JasonJ

JasonJ Guide

Blog Posts:
    Agree, that seems like a lot wasted space on the ricasso for what amounts to an aesthetic design choice.

28. seasonofthewoods

seasonofthewoods Lost In the Woods Supporter

Blog Posts:
    As others have said i will pass on these knives... before I turn in Gordon Ramsey

Lee C. and Keoni like this.
  29. backwoodstrails

backwoodstrails anatidaephobic Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Man! All you guys are being so hard on Creek's knives. I still think they (at least the camp model) are fun rustic looking knock around knives.
    No, it's not my bushcraft knife but sometimes a man has to feel like a "Mountain Man" and these knives fit the bill in looks and style;)

JasonJ likes this.
  30. JasonJ

JasonJ Guide

Blog Posts:
    See, as far as one can without holding them or viewing them in person, I do like most of these knives. I think the Corvid and Rook are too similar, and the ricasso on the camp is too large.. that axe like thing with the huge spike on the end is just dumb.. but otherwise I think these are just fine. The fact that you get two sheaths is unique, and they aren't priced at astronomical amounts that no one but the high-end crowd can afford.

I'm not so sure on the use of aluminum rivets and pins through hardened steel.... but maybe it's OK.. maybe not over time. I do feel more that Creek is producing knives for his own brand more so than being discouraged or disappointed with what was already available and in use... I have not heard him say specifically that these designs were functionally made the way they are because of his experience over the years and what he found worked; that would bring me closer to a sale.

I'm on the fence on these.. maybe if there is ever a pass-around I can try one out. I want to like them and even love them, and I enjoy Creek Stewart's content and his educational value for wilderness skills, but in the end, I don't want to just be buying a rustic looking equivalent of the Bear Grylls knife.

Keoni and backwoodstrails like this.
  31. theJman

theJman Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've gone back and forth on the Rook myself. Something about that blade says "try me", but I keep looking at those scales and thinking how uncomfortable they're likely to be. I just may bite the bullet and pick one up to see for myself though.

32. Vanitas

Blog Posts:
    Not that I'm a knife snob or anything... I like inexpensive knives and I dotn mind using the cheapies sometimes either.... but these are A36 Structural Steel...

So, exterior hard layers with a soft center??!@ Isnt that the reverse of what you want in a layered blade? Edge retention could be an issue. I really like the look of the Corvid and Rook... but the aluminum rivets and possible very soft steel I'm not into dropping a C note on it. I've seen other makers on Etsy that make similar knives but in spring steel or 1075 at least.

Coryphene, JasonJ and AlexD like this.
  33. JasonJ

JasonJ Guide

Blog Posts:
    Agreed.. the use of A36 seems to weird to me. It's as if this knife shop in KY got a good closeout deal on it and didn't know what to do with it until Stewart came in. A36 is really just left over recycled steels of unknown origin and chemical composition melted together and sold off. You never know what it actually has in it, it's so inconsistent.

I'd rather have seen them use 1085, 1095, 80CrV2, A2, O1, or even 440c stainless.

ezra45 likes this.
  34. theJman

theJman Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'd never heard of A36 before so I did some poking around, but after reading info on at least a dozen sites I wasn't able to find an authoritative source that made any mention of this. Do you have a link that describes this steels composition? I'm curious now.

Bridgetdaddy likes this.
  35. PMSteve

PMSteve Old Timey Outdoorsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Whiskey handled blades. I have a mental image of a grizzled old buscrafter sleeping in a debris shelter, unable to sleep. So he pulls his Creek Stewart blade from it's sheath and begins sucking on the handle... :50:

I have actually owned a knife with an asymmetric grind. They came in a left and right hand knife, with the grind on the side of the dominant hand. It sounds weird but it actually cut wood and such much easier than a symmetrical bevel. Some called this a chisel grind. Think of the blade on a woodworker's plane. Don't knock it until you've tried it. It really wasn't my thing, so it was the last one I ever owned.

Steve

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
    ezra45, Coryphene and Vanitas like this.
  36. Moe M.

Moe M. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I like Creek Steward, loved his show on the weather channel, I saw his knives when he released his intro video, I figured they were just prototypes and that the regular production knives would be of a better quality.
    I was wrong, it's just my opinion of course and I am an admitted knife snob, I like all types of knives, contemporary, traditional, rustic, and primitive provided they are well made and the fit and finish is clean.
    IMHO Creeks line up of knives are the ugliest I've seen in a long time, the fit and finish doesn't exist, the sheaths are cheap and poorly made, and the edge grinds are terrible, and I'm being kind, but all that didn't bother me as much as the insult I felt when I actually saw them, I felt like he thought so little about his fans and consumers that he would actually try to pawn those things off on them, especially at those prices for junk knives and junk sheaths.
    His Whiske knives give me a new appreciation for Mora's and Condor's knives, at least they try to get it right, I don't know for sure but just looking at them I'd bet they were made by child slaves in some back alley in India.

Sorry, but you did ask. :4:

PMSteve and Coryphene like this.
  37. MontanaMarine

MontanaMarine Scout

Blog Posts:
    Had a look........I'll pass.

clanmaki likes this.
  38. Vanitas

Blog Posts:
    We had a member ( @turtlepwr281 I think) who made a chisel ground knife I wanted badly but didnt have the funds for. They do wood working like a breeze allowing you to use a thicker stronger knife more like a super thin one. Ive been drying some American Chestnut that I want to cut into knife slabs and handle a few knives in that similar to Creeks knives but without the crappy aluminum pins. I actually like that handle look just not the raised pins and the fact they are aluminum. Ive popped aluminum pins on choppers before, aluminum is just too soft for a chopping knife... would be fine on a carver or something small though.

PMSteve likes this.
  39. TheDandyLion

TheDandyLion Scout

Blog Posts:
    I get that they look all cool and rustic, but there are several people making good rustic knives online. This is not one of them.

Oak makes a terrible handle material, super prone to shrinking and getting all grainy/splintery. Aluminum rivets are kinda... meh... I'm not just worried about the strength but I think they're ugly. The steel seems kind of mediocre. I would rather have a more conventional blade steel, even something like . The handles seem too small, and the edge too distant from the hand.

I do actually like asymmetric grinds, but that's the only thing I like about these knives. Suppose they're priced reasonably well, which is more than can be said for some similar makers.

I hate to step on any toes, but to me this just seems to be another product of flannel and thick-framed-glasses clad hipsters who are more interested in uncommon materials and the "Mountain Man aesthetic" than function. Like pallet furniture and knives made from old wagon wheels. It's cool, but not so functional. Reminds me of Chelsea Miller, though at least these knives seem to be well made and not ludicrously overpriced unlike Miller's.

Doesn't help that I live in the PacNW, maybe I'm just extra sick of hipsters.

40. PMSteve

PMSteve Old Timey Outdoorsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    After going on Stewart's website and looking at the knives, I don't think that they look all that bad. The steel used may be something less than the latest super bad steel, but they look serviceable, especially for the price. If an owner wanted to drill out the aluminum pins and replace them with copper pins or Chicago screws it could easily be done in an hour or two.

His prices for his custom made Voyager sheaths are fairly competitive for the price and would be a complement to the knife. Some might say that spending that much on a sheath to hold a 'cheap' knife, look at what some folks here spend on a custom sheath for their Mora knives. It amounts to personal taste and your checkbook.

Also, clicking on the 'About Me' tab will bring you to several videos. I like the one where Stewart is speaking to several thousand Boy Scouts, telling them how he became a survival instructor... while doing a slow strip tease on stage after riding out on his horse. It's pretty entertaining.

Steve

Coryphene and TheDandyLion like this.
  41. JasonJ

JasonJ Guide

Blog Posts:
    Here is the general chemical composition:

https://www.azom.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=6117

http://www.onealsteel.com/carbon-steel-plate-a36.html

Comments from various other internet sources- I realize that is or can be anecdotal, but many of the comments are by people who makes knives, who have more experience than I, so I have to assess what is being said against what I know and form a complete idea here; as that is, I concur and agree with what is said, even by unknown internet "dudes":

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/a36-steel.468933/

http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21460

https://www.bladesmithsforum.com/index.php?/topic/28387-what-to-know-about-a36-steel/

From all of those sources, I conclude that A36 is crap-shoot steel of generally unknown origins, largely recycled and only occasionally hardens to a Rockwell rating high enough for a knife blade. Honestly, the fact that Reptile Tool Works uses this and tauts it with pride is very amateur to me.

Coryphene likes this.
  42. TAHAWK

TAHAWK Guide

Blog Posts:
    Nope. Esp considering all the Old Hickoryish USA-made carbon steel knives around for a couple of bucks.

Coryphene likes this.
  43. theJman

theJman Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the links. Those first 2 are among the ones I found when searching, but the others are new. While I detected a hint of bias in a few of the comments posted in those forums, there were enough others that it does make you feel the steel might be of suspect origin and a curious choice for a knife. Not being a metallurgist meant some of comments went over my head though.

But hey, I'm drawn to that which is unique - and I'm not adverse to taking a chance - so maybe I'll pick up a Rook to see for myself. A lot about the materials and construction seems strangely odd, but historically Creek has not been prone to hyperbole so who knows.

Coryphene likes this.
  44. russw25

russw25 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I spent the weekend at the Escape the Woods event with Creek just a few weeks ago. His knives were there and they all felt good in my hands. I opted for the Corvid. The grind while they say is asymmetrical really isn't true. I am currently having my touched up by Stephen Kinney who was also there as a instructor. He really seems to know his knives and I gained a lot of respect for his answers he gave me. Yes Creek carries the Camp and the Corvid now and no longer the Blackbird. For the price I just don't see how you could go wrong.
    However you guys have brought up some very good points! Aluminum pins, and the steel being the biggest. I cant wait to get my knife back and give it a workout. If it doesn't hold up I will always go back to my Esee 6 which i used the entire weekend without issue. My partner at the event bought the Camp and had it touched up while she was still at the event and it felt good and was plenty sharp when Stephen got finished with it. He also put a regular grind on her knife instead of the asymmetrical.
    Only time will tell. :)

Coryphene, Madwell and JasonJ like this.
  45. russw25

russw25 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Yes he carries the Camp or the Corvid now.

Coryphene likes this.
  46. russw25

russw25 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I opted for the Corvid after handling them all. The grind statement isn't actually true in my opinion. Not one of them had a single bevel. Mine is currently getting a work over by a top Knife enthusiast who was also one of the instructors at the Escape the Woods event I attended a couple weeks ago. Mine will have a 23 degree grind when it returns home. Time will tell I guess.
    I would like to say that I found Creek Stewart to be a top notch guy! And I really enjoyed the event, so many like minded people in one place made my heart all warm and fuzzy. lol

Coryphene and JasonJ like this.
  47. russw25

russw25 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Sorry for the repost guys!

Coryphene likes this.
  48. JasonJ

JasonJ Guide

Blog Posts:
    I like the shapes and designs of these knives, it's just the Al rivets and questionable steel used for the blades that holds me back. I would love to attend a Creek Stewart event.. he seems like a real legit outdoors survival/skills guy. I would have taken the opportunity to ask him about these knives.. particularly, who designed them and why? I am interested if their designs have a reason stemming from his experiences in the woods over the years. That would give more credibility to another survival celebrity sponsored knife line.

I'd also like to know what about the SK5 he didn't like. I heard they liked to roll and chip edges.

Coryphene likes this.
  49. buckfynn

buckfynn Old Geezer Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    The asymmetrical edge has made me gun shy of buying one of the Whiskey knives. Below is his description of the grind.

Creek lists the steel type used in his knives as A36. A36 only has 0.26% carbon. I am doubtful the edge retention would be decent with such a low grade carbon steel.

Coryphene likes this.
  50. CoolBreeze135

CoolBreeze135 Scholarly Woodsman Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    That's pretty pitiful. A36 is almost pot metal.

http://www.onealsteel.com/carbon-steel-plate-a36.html

Coryphene likes this.