Cross Country Road trip Guns

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Paulyseggs, Aug 9, 2019.

?

What to bring?

1. 12ga Takedown Pump

10 vote(s)
    47.6%
  2. 357mag Leveraction Carbine

11 vote(s)
    52.4%
  1. Paulyseggs

Paulyseggs Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm early in planning. Next summer I'm hoping to take my family cross country. East Coast to West Coast and see the things inbetween.

Handgun will be my 640 357mag snub
    I'd like to pack a 22rifle. Just because I love 22s. Most likely 10/22 TD. Couple 10rd mags and a brick of CCI Blazer.

I'd like to bring another long gun. JIC. My usual travel Long gun is a Win Model 12 12ga. BUT! If I bring my 357mag 92 I can just pack one ammo that is also ALOT more compact!

The shotgun breaks down into a nice small package but the ammo! Ammo takes up ALOT of room. Which negates the compactness of the shotgun.
    The 92 isnt that much bigger. Weighs alot less and the ammo shares with my snub.

But 12ga is hard to argue.

ETA. Another question. Open carry. Would you consider a IWB Holster that is visible, to be Open Carry?
    Example. IWB holster worn as normal but no outer garment or shirt concealing it. Regular shirt tucked in BEHIND the holster. The grip and part of the gun not in thw holster exposed

Space is everything. Family of 4, 3 are women/girls in a Honda CRV

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    LogCabin, Paul Foreman and alukban like this.
  2. barkoguru

barkoguru Scout

Blog Posts:
    Just out of curiosity how much and where do you plan on shooting, ranges, family and friends places along the way ? How will you keep check on multiple firearms when your out and about with the family away from the car/camp etc ? Things to think about.

JeffG, gila_dog and Paulyseggs like this.
  3. Moe M.

Moe M. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    And then there's that pesky breaking the law thingy, unless you are retired or active duty LE, or have a federal lic. to carry anywhere in the country.

Park Swan, JeffG and beacon like this.
  4. oldpinecricker

oldpinecricker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Winchester model 12 baby!

If all you bring is 5 slugs and 10 of the 00 buck that will do all that needs done outside of a active combat zone. I can't see any situation where you'd need more than those 15 rounds and the dosage from your 357 revolver.

If you need to burn up some shotgun ammo get the extra on the road and burn it up. No need to pack a bunch of stuff you don't need.

As per the 22lr, I can't see a need for it unless you just want to take it and fire it, but I just don't see the utility.

I've no idea what you intend to do when coming west or what route you intend to take. If you happen to come thru Montana you should look up me and @Midwest.Bushlore. There's an lot of places to enjoy once the snow is melted.

JeffG, Paulyseggs and highlander like this.
  5. Paulyseggs

Blog Posts:
    No laws to break. Doing my research on where my CT permit is honored and if i get a non res FL permit. I'm good nearly all the way to the west coast.
    States I can't carry in I don't. Its pretty simple.
    I've read there is lots of land out there open for all sorts of activities.

Thats what I like about the takedowns. Very easy storage. And doesn't scream Steal Me! Like a gun case.
    Locking them is easy.

JeffG, beacon, Unistat76 and 3 others like this.
  6. Paulyseggs

Blog Posts:
    Thank you. That sounds like a good time.
    I've got an old buddy in Eastern Oregon I'd like to meet up with. I'd love to see the Dakotas, Grand Canyon, San Diego Zoo. Ozarks. Louisiana swamps, Mississippi River & delta, Atlanta Aquarium, stuff like that.

Not into amusement parks. Just cruisin and wandering.

As far as 22 goes. I just love shooting. I could do the same with my pellet gun.

And I dont think I could sleep knowing I only had 20rds!! I'd love to bring my AR,but I'm not going to skip a awesome experience in a state because of it.

When I think about my past trips with my 12. I know I can fit Everything I want in a 30cal ammo can. Shotgun slugs/buck, box of pistol ammo and a small cleaning kit. Not really a deal breaker. But 100rds of 357 is soo much smaller! I could fit that in my glove box!!

I bring the long gun JIC stuff goes sideways.
    Riots happen. Tornadoes & earthquakes happen. Stuff happens. And you can't say when, my No1 duty to my family is to protect them. And if we're stranded I ain't showing up to no parties without presents.

7. Cwlongshot

Cwlongshot Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    40 S&W & 22 Mag fan residing in New England
    Savage 24 357/20!

What you get;

TAKEDOWN portability

ONE FIREARM

TWO CALIBERS

COOL FACTOR! :rolleyes:o_O:D:p

Sorry. But would be fine choice if ta had one!!

I do know where ya can get ine if you want it. PM me.

CW

H3NT3 and Paulyseggs like this.
  8. Foilist

Foilist Guide

Blog Posts:
    I took a trip from CT to Idaho and back in June. I considered bringing a gun, but I was in a motorcycle and space/security were limited. Too much hassle. Plus, I was in Canada briefly.

Have fun!

Paulyseggs likes this.
  9. Paulyseggs

Blog Posts:
    Am thinking of Canada too. Longgun is no issue and I could mail myself my handgun at a later stopping point

Cwlongshot likes this.
  10. JohnP

JohnP No more half measures Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Don’t forget local laws. Some cities have more strict laws than the states they are in. You don’t want to end your trip with a felony. And be mindful of ammo storage restrictions, too.

I hope you have a good trip.

JohnP

Park Swan and Paulyseggs like this.
  11. Paulyseggs

Blog Posts:
  12. Malamute

Malamute Guide

Blog Posts:
    Not sure if you used the word "mail" generically, but unless you are an FFL, you cant mail handguns (as in US Postal Service). Common carrier, yes, but youd need a specific address to send it to, not like mail that can be sent to "General Delivery" to any post office to be picked up by the addressee. Common carriers (UPS Fedex) require handguns to be sent next day or second day I believe.

A safe deposit box might be better, youd have to come back through the same town obviously.

The butt stock can be removed from a lever rifle to make it shorter, but its easy to chip the area at the front of the tangs from wiggling it off as most do. Not as short as a true takedown, but still makes it shorter.

Check Canadas laws, last i recall, Americans couldnt bring in long guns with barrels shorter than 18 1/2".

gila_dog and Paulyseggs like this.
  13. Paulyseggs

Blog Posts:
    Fedex or UPS. I think if I were to go to Canada I would reenter in Niagara. Falls are on my list. Then drive thru NYS to home. So I would just mail it to my home address.

I was looking at my 92 this morning. Just a single screw in the tang. No more effort than reassembling my 12.

I still have alot more research to do.

Malamute likes this.
  14. Malamute

Malamute Guide

Blog Posts:
    When entering Canada, they will likely ask why you want to take firearms into Canada. Self defense from people is NOT an acceptable reason. Self defense from wild animals IS. Something may have changed since I last went through or checked info, but thats important to keep in mind. Same with pepper spray, defense from people is NOT a valid reason to have it. I believe they will only allow spray that says its for bears.

You can download the forms to bring guns in and either send them in or have them in hand when you get to the border.

I always stopped on the US side and asked for a "registration of items taken abroad" note before leaving so I could prove I owned them and didnt have to possible pay duty on them to bring them back in. Not sure if this is commonly done now but it was suggested in the past.

It didnt used to be acceptable to take any hollowpoint handgun (or 22) ammo into Canada. They took what hollowpoint stuff I had and gave me a nice receipt for it. I dont think they allow any 25 auto or 32 cal handgun ammo either.

If you ship your handgun, keep the info handy when crossing, and take pics to document it. They asked if I OWNED any handguns, then asked where they were. i showed them my shipping receipt for sending them to alaska, they seemed OK with it. They also seemed to appreciate that I had my certificate for itms taken abroad. You didnt used to have to specifically permit guns taken in, id just hand them the certificate so they could see what I had. Sometimes they want to see them, often not. They never touched them, just wanted to see them. I unzipped the case, they looked, said OK, and done.

You may need a health certificate for any pets you cross with. Any vet should be able to provide one. I dont recall how fresh that needs to be, maybe 30 or 60 days? 90 days?

One of the simplest things to check info may be a recent or new copy of the book Milepost. Your library may have a copy, or most booksellers used to have them. Scads of info that may be useful, besides there may be road logs of roads you may drive on in Canada and town info of many towns.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    jstert and Paulyseggs like this.
  15. Paulyseggs

Blog Posts:
    Thanks man!! Thats good info:dblthumb:

16. reppans

reppans Scout

Blog Posts:
    If you intend on spending time in the woods of national/state parks/forests, you also need to consider fish and game regulations as rifles in ready mode can be construed as poaching. Probably not felony territory, but steep fines.

Honestly though, cross country driving tours are a whole lot more flexible and relaxing without worrying about firearms and where you can go/can't go. I personally came to the conclusion that interstate travel with firearms had a much higher chance of ruining my life via legal misstep, than saving my life in an SD scenario.

Paulyseggs likes this.
  17. Paulyseggs

Blog Posts:
    I understand and respect your stance. But I follow my own path.

drobs, jstert and reppans like this.
  18. stillman

stillman Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    We always carry handguns with us when we travel. Wife and I both have CCW permits from GA and UT, so we can carry in most states. We follow gun transport laws for other states, which means we can carry loaded guns in the car in some states, only pass through with unloaded guns in NY, MD, etc. Carrying a gun is part of our normal daily routine so it's no big deal to carry on the road.

I have taken long guns on trips in hopes of hunting but there is never time. The long gun ends up being in the way when space is limited and I always wish I had left it at home. However, the memory of how much trouble it was usually fades by the next trip and I do it again. Similar to buying or selling on craigslist - I always say "never again" but I do it every couple of years. (This is only if there's possible hunting on the trip, I don't carry a long gun if there's nothing in season at one of our stops.)

I have found that a lever action carbine is about the easiest to deal with in our vehicle. A takedown might be easier if you have a "just right" spot for it.

FWIW, you're probably going to run into more trouble following the law with knives than guns. Some places with good gun laws have really screwy knife laws.

H3NT3, jstert and Paulyseggs like this.
  19. Paulyseggs

Blog Posts:
    Took the stock off the 92 for a side by side with my Model 12. Not that much longer! If I can get a longer tang screw I can hobble it into a thumbscrew. 20190811_080214_Film3.jpg I usually use a Skinner case for travel, doesn't really look like a gun case. Then I'll wrap a blanket or beach towel around it for more camo. The case is in storage but this is what it would look like 20190811_080352_Film3.jpg I've also used pants for travel. Stick a half in each leg and give it a sloppy fold. I kept a Sub2k on the floor of my truck like this for years! Throw a few other clothes items on top and you just look like a messy person.
    I did the pants real quick. But you can center it well with some time. Could also sew the cuffs shut along the seams.
    20190811_080556_Film3.jpg

Park Swan, slysir and LogCabin like this.
  20. heldfast

heldfast Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Just drove from Seattle to Newport RI, by way of alot of places ... total 5400 miles, with two handguns (had been stored for me while overseas) and a lot of ammo. Kept the gunlaws site on my phone the whole time. Everything was separated and locked up in hard sided cases that needed to be. I kept a ruger LCPII "out" when I could, usually nothing in the chamber as in one place it could travel loaded, but in another not. Had 2 holsters to CC or OC, depending on local laws. Specifically altered my route to avoid places that fear hollow points, and did not drive through large cities east of the Rockies or on the left coast. While at no time did I violate any fed, state or local laws, I also knew that at any time that fact could've been left to a judge to affirm by an ignorant LEO on a routine traffic stop. I also had my federal orders in hand (and a blue line sticker on my car) as talismans. I have done that trip a few times, and each time I get more nervous.

Use a hard side locking container, separate your ammo from the gun. Do not bring hollow points for your 357.

Park Swan, slysir, jstert and 2 others like this.
  21. Paulyseggs

Blog Posts:
    Outside of NJ, what other areas have hollowpoint restrictions?

22. jstert

jstert Scout

Blog Posts:
    some random thoughts. with multiple heavy firearms and ammo o.p. is doing much heavy lifting in and out of motel rooms every night, and will have trouble securing it all if he has car trouble. i suggest some plinking out west on public lands, great feeling of freedom. one firearm ought to be a 22 unless his 3 female companions can handle heavier calibers. forget canada, unless it’s one long gun plausible for woodlands defense with a plausible legend, i.e. camping gear. since o.p. will see the far west how about a 22lr/wmr single action revolver for plinking and the girls to enjoy with magnums for protection, a 38 snubbie in a crossdraw holster for ccw, and just maybe an optional takedown 22lr or 357/38 rifle.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    Paulyseggs likes this.
  23. Paulyseggs

Blog Posts:
    I like your random thoughts! I have these often. Plannin on camping our way out. Motel here or there. If there is weather.

I did think about skipping the 10/22 and using the Little Badger. Cheap single shot. Light and compact. Fits in a daypack.

The in and out of the motel is an easy fix. My dufflebag has wheels.

I am going to put a hitch on my CRV. I'm planning on renting a enclosed Uhaul trailer. Bit more secure than my roof bag I usually use.

Now that I see how compact the 92 is without the stock. I'm leanin heavy on this one. Plus I could fit 100rds of 38/357 and a brick of 22 in a small pelican case I got an ACOG in. I like that case cause I can slap a padlock on it.

slysir, LogCabin and jstert like this.
  24. jstert

jstert Scout

Blog Posts:
    if you travel with firearms in unfree states, e.g. ny and nj, only stop for gasoline on the turnpike, follow the speed limits and don’t meander off for sightseeing.

25. jstert

jstert Scout

Blog Posts:
    gee, a full crv pulling a trailer seems like quite a workout for a small engine, especially in the mountains. now i’m worried... those of us originally from the n.e. are usually (pleasantly) awed by the vast and gorgeous expanses out west. getting off the interstate freeways to well maintained state highways gives you more sightseeing fun, but hours of driving without civilization (i.e. roadside help). how about a rooftop carrier and no long gun? if you don’t yet have a single action revolver, how about commemorating your western adventure by getting at least a heritage roughrider, if not a ruger single six or wrangler?

a bit off track now, some other random thoughts. ensure that your crv is in tiptop shape with a good real spare tire, not donut or inflator kit. carry extra cash. get a walmart backup emergency “burner” cell (not smart) phone, load as you go, from a different carrier. if kids are minors without i.d. carry their birth certificates, and your proof of u.s. citizenship too if you drive close to the border. btw, traveling through canada, which i don’t suggest unless it’s a dedicated canadian trip, requires passports or passport cards. i travel domestically and internationally alot, and have a year round travel/medical insurance policy that kicks in 100 miles from home. it covers trip interruptions, returns to home, caregiver travel to you, air ambulance, etc.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    H3NT3, MAD Punty and Paulyseggs like this.
  26. MAD Punty

MAD Punty Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Reinforce this point. If you are caught napping at a rest area or something like that, people have been arrested...the law is vague. I wouldn't even stop at a restaraunt...just drive throughs.

Additionally....if you don't have one, look into getting a Utah license. It allows legal travel through an awful lot of states.

Paulyseggs and jstert like this.
  27. stillman

Blog Posts:
    A cargo carrier in the hitch works well on a small vehicle. Not as much room as a trailer, obviously, but lots of useful space that can be moved all at once and locked in a hotel room or storage locker if needed. I've tried several and the black boxes with yellow lids at Home Depot are the most efficient and they're cheap. They lock together and keep water out well enough.

As for camping, a Coleman Instant Tent is the thing for road trips. Setup and strike are fast. Not good in wet weather, but no tent is going to work in the rain for cross country shelter, since putting it up wet is going to make it useless until you can get it dry.

Paulyseggs likes this.
  28. heldfast

heldfast Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Boston, San Francisco ... notice a trend? Cities have placed restrictions that their states have not. And finally ... and I cannot state this enough ... there is the individual officer's interpretation at the traffic stop. And they are generally less knowledgeable of gun laws than we would all hope. They will err on the far side of caution, because their model is to cite/arrest and let the judge sort it out later. I for one would not want to stake the joy of my road trip adventure on my ability to make a compelling argument to a uniformed stranger about my right to [insert whatever here].

jstert likes this.
  29. slysir

slysir Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    You still have plenty of time to think and rethink your agenda. An extended cross country trip can have a lot of hidden pit falls, and you're a long way from home. The gun thing is going to be the most troublesome. Unless the main theme of the trip is to have fun with the shooter's I'd limit the inventory to just a couple to cover self-defense and some .22/.357 plinking.

I'd put some serious thought into entering Canada. There's absolutely nothing there that isn't in the good ol' USA!!

At any rate, have fun, be safe. I enjoy your impute on the forum. :cool:

-John

Paulyseggs and jstert like this.
  30. stillman

Blog Posts:
    Except https://www.canadiantire.ca/en.html

slysir likes this.
  31. roadwarrior

roadwarrior Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I would be cautious of the law. There are plenty of Liberals out there that love getting an honest gun owner arrested. It looks like they are doing something.

Paulyseggs likes this.
  32. Malamute

Malamute Guide

Blog Posts:
    Jasper, Banff. Canada in general.

Canada doesnt give me the slightest bit of heartburn to consider travelling in. It also has some absolutely stunning country, the only thing in the US that compares to Jasper and Banff are in Alaska, which one cant drive to without going through Canada.

Paulyseggs likes this.
  33. gila_dog

gila_dog Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    When I travel around I like having at least a pistol, and a also long gun if I'm going to be out in the boondocks. Whatever I take needs to be easily unloaded and loaded. I want to keep the handgun loaded all the time, but some states won't let you have a loaded gun in your car, but others will. For me a semi automatic pistol is better than a revolver, because it's so easy to load and unload. A rifle with a magazine or a 1 or 2 shot shotgun is a lot easier to live with than a tube fed rifle. I have a NM concealed carry permit so that makes things a lot simpler since a lot of states have reciprocity laws that honor my permit.

Paulyseggs likes this.
  34. Paulyseggs

Blog Posts:
    Got a source on the HP bans?

I'm only finding a law in SanFran that bars the sale of them. Nothing on ownership.

35. gila_dog

gila_dog Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    If you are going to CA, then all your dreams of traveling with your guns could become a nightmare. I would keep it very minimal, forget carrying anything openly or concealed, just lock them up separate from the ammo, and research all the other CA laws about what you can have, or not have, and where these different laws apply, etc etc. Or just go to to WA or OR if you want to see the Pacific ocean and forget about CA. Everything there is overcrowded and rapidly deteriorating anyway. Every time I have to go there (to see some family) I never want to go back again.

jstert, Paulyseggs and LogCabin like this.
  36. heldfast

heldfast Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Correct the law only bans the sale.

However, and there is always a however, I lived just south of San Francisco from 2014 to 2016, actively competed in handgun marksmanship events. We were cautioned in the region from having HP in possession when going to matches in or crossing through the Bay Area because ... LEOs are not as knowledgeable as we wish they were. A traffic stop could end a really nice vacation while you wait for the Judge to rule in your favor. Then you can start the California process to get your firearms and children back ... not kidding. It ain’t worth it. By all means research the law, then get on the gun forums for the places you intend to visit and get the real scoop.

What’s your route through NY? I swung way north myself.

Paulyseggs likes this.
  37. Paulyseggs

Blog Posts:
    I get that. Thanks for the response.

I really wanna see Redwoods and pan for gold in CA:4:

My usual route thru NY is I84. Rarely need to stop in NY. Get gas before I leave and Im good til well inside PA.

I'm not terribly worried about LE. I've never even gotten a ticket. And I'm a fat jolly bald guy with a wife and kids.

I don't really worry about knives either. I EDC SAK but will have a filet knife and a small fixed blade in my kitchen box.

I'm pretty low key and laid back.

Definitely have my GB axe and Folding Bow saw. And a Nato shovel.
    Probably bring 2 Colemans. A 442 and a 2burner with a LP adapter.

I'm good on tents & bags. If I do go with a small trailer I can get cots. That would be killer.

I don't travel with a cooler. Really only need cream for our coffee and I can get by with powdered. Usually bring a good supply of dry foods. Stuff we eat anyways. Then either forage or buy produce & proteins.

Can't really do backpacking trips with our medical conditions so usually just bring a daypack.

My kids are the worst thou. They'll pack that car to the gills with stuffed animals!!

If I do get a rack for the rear. Do they make a lockable hard box??

Man what a thread drift!!:18:

38. JC1

JC1 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Something else to consider is next summer is when the two presidential candidates will be touring the states so security will be maxed out everywhere. Also antifa and other idiot protesters will be out and about looking for trouble

jstert, H3NT3 and Paulyseggs like this.
  39. Hunt4lyf

Hunt4lyf Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I don't know if you're coming through Colorado but A CCW holster won't work for open carry as the holster has to be completely open with nothing concealed so if you throw a sweatshirt on make sure to tuck it behind the grip so the whole thing is open. Non-residents can open carry no problem except in Denver County and Boulder.

Also, a non-resident CCW wont work here as Colorado only honors resident permits with states they have reciprocity with, I just looked and it doesn't look like the honor CT resident permits but I would check that to be sure.

Paulyseggs likes this.
  40. Paulyseggs

Blog Posts:
    Thanks man! CO was what I was thinking of when I asked about the IWB holster.

I do have a OWB holster for my 640 but I hate it. I'd like to get another but its always on the backburner as I rarely carry that way.

41. Paulyseggs

Blog Posts:
    Good points:dblthumb:

42. jerome

jerome Scout

Blog Posts:
    If i may, i would recommend the 92.
    it is my understanding that in some jurisdictions the 10/22 as a semi auto and/or magazine capacity may be an issue.

Paulyseggs likes this.
  43. drobs

drobs Guide

Blog Posts:
    In the past couple of years I've done 2 longer road trips.
    Missouri to Tucson AZ. (20hrs 1300 miles) - brought my Glock 19, Glock 26, and a Mini-14.
    Missouri to Pensacola, FL (11hr 654 miles) - brought my Glock 19, Glock 26, and Windham AR15

Plus multiple trips to Traverse City, MI (13hrs 840miles) - brought my Ruger LC9S Pro, Glock 19, S&W M17, and Windham AR15
    Stopping in the Chicago burbs to visit family. Our family in the Traverse City area likes to shoot. Though in the 2 trips there we have yet to shoot.

Except for stopping in Illinois, I try to plan my road trips to travel through states that recognize my Missouri CCW license.

We were pulled over in Tucson AZ by a police officer that was looking for drunks. I notified him I was carrying (not required), he let us go.

In your case visiting California - I'd debate taking my Rossi 92 357 vs my Winchester 94 30-30. Personally I want more range / oomph out on dusty desolate roads in the middle of nowhere.

slysir and Paulyseggs like this.
  44. H3NT3

H3NT3 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I voted 12g shotgun. I think the vote ought to be rimfire or shotgun. :rolleyes:
    Shotgun will do so much more in a similar sized package. From flares to birdshot to buckshot to slugs. I would stick with one long gun. To keep stuff easy to manage even tho the car will be doing the heavy hauling. Both shotgun and 10/22 rimfire will work against people just fine ().

If you intend to do hunting out of state, if I were to be traveling coast to coast I would be very prone to, there are two ways to do that: 1) Pay the often high nonresident permit fee and use the 12g or 22. Or 2) Don’t pay the fee and stick with the rimfire to avoid drawing attention. Hunting would most likely be small game not a deer so no need for a 357 lever gun. Connibear traps are cheap And if invested in the right place like currency, will quietly and diligently work for you and pay a return after return after return. :)

Regarding riots: bear spray. Will fit in your 30 cal can. Can clear the way without facing a murder charges or gun tottin & showin related punishments when things return to normal. Still can bring charges but I think the punishments are considerably less than anything involving use of a firearm. :29: World.

Regarding the open carry... I would opt for an OWB for open carry every time. Often IWB don’t have decent retention mechanisms. I want strong retention while open carrying. Rules regarding what qualifies as and what does not qualify as open carry be damned.l in my mind. IWB is a conceal only means for me. Plus owb is often much more comfortable.
    I have been purdy happy with every DeSantis thumb-break owb holster I have bought. Comfy with a retention mechanism. Always costs more than I would prefer a seldom used holster cost but always satisfied.

Regarding trailer: I would opt for on vehicle carry methods if possible. A trailer can be a lot of air drag. Also that extra weight WILL matter when in high altitudes when using naturally aspirated engines. Plus parking will be an additional pain with a trailer. Also, those rental trailers often don’t come with a spare tire. My brother and I had a tire blow on a trailer rental once traveling from Chicago area back to St Louis area. Waited 4-6 hours for the tow man to come with a new tire on a Sunday night. What should of been an easy trip back with enough sleep for Monday morning turned into miserable night and a missed day of work. We should of just drove the trailer on the rim/blown tire from north of Litchfield, IL to St Louis area and paid for a new rim rather than sit there like we did. The tow man and tire was at no cost to us, paid for by UHaul, but the lost time and such was. If your Honda has a CV tranny I would for sure avoid the trailer. Additionally people drive extra stupid around trailers which will adversely affect your safe & polite traffic merging abilities in unfamiliar cities. Then also those small trailer may not have brakes... did I mention parking?

Nothing wrong with renting a larger vehicle too. Costs might be similar enough to hitching and trailer rental, or buying exterior CRV storage abilities. Honda Odyssey themed rental might allow more storage while offering similar MPG.

Have fun!

Paulyseggs likes this.