crossbows....again

Discussion in 'Archery' started by ARPILOT, Aug 1, 2018.

1. IW17

IW17 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Punisher likes this.
  2. wallflash

wallflash Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Here is the thing about crossbows and the idea of “cheating” , or vertical bow hunters looking down on crossbows. My 9 yr old grandson could drop a deer or hog with a crossbow . Some practice would be needed but it is entirely probable with practice, almost to the point of certainty . He would not, however , be able to draw , aim and accurately release a compound bow with enough killing power to drop a deer in a month of Sundays . So any sort of challenge of learning and perfecting your game as with a compound bow is gone . It becomes point and pull the trigger . If that’s what people want, then more power to them . Personally I gave up rifle hunting because it presented no real challenge any longer , and learning the compound well enough to drop a hog does . A crossbow would not either.

It certainly has its place for those physically challenged by a vertical bow .

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
    dannyp likes this.
  3. Damian1690

Damian1690 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I recently got a Bear Fortus at a benefit auction. It was used by and donated from a local archery shop and only came with a scope. Could someone help me with bolt selection? The bolts that typically come with it weigh in at 370 grains, that’s including 100 grain tips. I thought about buying some Cabelas bolts and tips that would weigh right over 400 grains. Would that ruin accuracy? Or just slow down the FPS?

I’m new to crossbows. I know from shooting traditional archery that arrows have to be fine tuned for accuracy, but can’t seem to figure out if crossbows are finicky like that. I would go to the local archery shop, but the handful of times I’ve been in there the people have been very rude and arrogant and I don’t really want to give them my business.

4. dannyp

dannyp Tracker

Blog Posts:
    If you go with a heavier arrow, it will slow down and drop faster. I have used the Barnett arrows made by Easton that came with mine and they have been plenty accurate enough for me. A buddy of mine bought the same crossbow used without arrows. He got another brand (maybe Rage) and they were balanced differently, slightly longer, or something along those lines. They didn't shoot as flat or accurately as my factory arrows did and he ended up buying some after trying them.

I have a couple other buddies that have Ten Points and they use the factory arrows with no issues. Something to think about is that the ones that come with the bow will be what it was designed for.

It's possible to wring more accuracy out of a setup with custom made arrows and from what I've read in the past, Black Eagle Executioners and Zombie Slayers are pretty well regarded. I think that most people probably shoot their factory arrows first and determine that the accuracy isn't good enough for them before going that route though.

Damian1690 and IW17 like this.
  5. Damian1690

Damian1690 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thank you! I will plan on getting some of the Trophy Ridge X Ray bolts that originally come with the package. I have to order bolts online, so just wanted to make sure so I don’t have to send them back. I appreciate your help!

6. Ken Delano

Ken Delano Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'm fine with whatever is legal in your locale and used in an ethical manner. Personally, the crossbow does not interest me. But neither does the compound vertical bow, for that matter. I shoot longbows. I know my limitations and enjoy the whole process of shooting practice, making my own arrows and other equipment, and all that. In retirement I plan to try some bowmaking . It doesn't make me better than anyone else, it's just what I choose to do . You pays your money and takes your choice . My best buddy just went crossbow this year due to shoulder problems. So far, at age 60, I can still draw a 60# longbow . I hope to be able to do that for a few more years, or drop down in weight and keep shooting . Happy hunting, with your choice of weapon. I'm glad we live in a country where we can make those choices, so far anyway.

dannyp likes this.
  7. IW17

IW17 Scout

Blog Posts:
    What he said^

8. Raymond Eisele

Raymond Eisele Scout

Blog Posts:
    I started out with a long bow. It was my dad's, it was a wedding present. Next came the recurve, which I liked better and the compound. Gave that away to a young neighbor. Never had or shot a crossbow. I am still recovering from my own issues. I think I could shoot one, but the prices scare me. Are there any good basic affordable, entry level crossbows?

9. PAcanis

PAcanis Bushmaster Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:

There's a semi-recent thread here somewhere on what looked like a great inexpensive crossbow. I can't remember the thread title, but if you scroll through the archery forum you should find it.

10. TentMonkey

TentMonkey Scout

Blog Posts:
    I just ordered a Killer Instinct Hero 380 from amazon yesterday. Yes..... I'm going to hunt with it.

Here in PA archery opens next Saturday. Leaves will be on the trees for about another month, making trrestand hunting an option. After that, the woods are pretty much wide open, meaning that tree stands aren't nearly as effective. So you start hunting from the ground..... which, shooting a vertical bow requires a ton of movement, which draws eyes. I'm going to use my compound until the leaves are off the trees, then switch to the crossbow and use a ghost blind in the late season.

Really, asides from requiring less movement, I don't see a huge difference. My compound has split limbs, cams the size of a salad plate, a drop away rest, a self-calibrating sight (trophy ridge react 7), and a trigger release. Shooting 78 pounds, using 100gr field tips, it chronos at 339fps. Plenty of crossbows shoot at similar velocities, without nearly the amount of technology involved with the sight or cams on my compound.

Sodak likes this.
  11. Sodak

Sodak Scout

Blog Posts:
    So crossbows predate compound bows by 1500 years or so. That's rich...

12. Idabow

Idabow Scout

Blog Posts:
    Truth hurts. The Chinese even invented a magazine fed repeater crossbow. Oh the horror