Culture shock 60 miles away

Discussion in 'General Bushcraft Discussion' started by Tdr, Sep 11, 2019 at 1:02 AM.

1. Tdr

Tdr Scout

Blog Posts:
    Working in the towns around Philadelphia I'm surprised about how many deer there are.
    Seems like a free meal north west of me is a car crash waiting to happen in the small towns around there.
    There's lots of woods but I guess no wants to go thru the bother of hunting them.

JasonJ, Sawdustdave, PMSteve and 16 others like this.
  2. Tdr

Tdr Scout

Blog Posts:
    The other thing that's different to me is there seems to be no fear. Around there crossing the road is the biggest hazard.
    If you go further out from the population you might get shot and be dinner before that even happens.
    Not that I'm a country boy that takes what he can get, but the wildlife seems to take a little more precaution around someone with that mindset

3. Beach Hiker

Beach Hiker LB 42 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    It's like that in parts of Ontario as well. Way too many deer....

4. victoratsea

victoratsea LB #42 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Same outside of NYC. Loads of deer in the neighboring counties. We have a very long bow season in Suffolk County, Oct 1 to Jan 31 and Jan 5 to Jan 31 is special shotgun season. We still can't make a dent in the deer population.
    Victor

5. x39

x39 Hyperborean Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Usually the issue is the local residents are anti-hunting and refuse to acknowledge the fact that the herd needs to be managed. I was leaving a dinner party here in Maine one evening when the hosts told me to be really cautious along a certain stretch of road. Thinking drunk driving enforcement, I told them not to worry, I hadn't had anything to drink. They laughed and said no, the deer along the road were the problem. Their town had banned all deer hunting and the population was totally out of control.

6. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Lots of rabies in that corner of the state, too.

7. Jetjr

Jetjr Scout

Blog Posts:
    It's funny also I live 5 miles from the Md border. I can go down there and shot a boatload of deer. I know Pa is a big state but often wonder if they should change the regulations in certain areas.

8. 1911srule

1911srule Guide

Blog Posts:
    When I was stationed at Willow grove Naval Air Station north of Philadelphia. We had so many deer on the runway it was a aviation mishap waiting to happen. We had to do a deer "culling" and keep it from the public who would have cried bloody murder. I lived 30 minutes away and the hunting was shotgun only, easy pickings. That was around 2001, now its even more heavily built up.

9. ANFwoodsman

ANFwoodsman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    There are other areas around Philly where deer are culled to control populations. There was talk of allowing bowhunting in the John Heinz wildlife refuge, not sure if that went through or not.

10. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    That rednecky area between Baltimore and Philly.
    I live between Philly and Baltimore... deer everywhere. Limit is 15.

11. Haggis

Haggis Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Numbers vary here with the winters,,, very cold winters and deep snow are not conducive to deer survival,,, the moose and the woodland caribou were the ungulates here,,, logging, mining, farming, and overhunting drove them out, in the case of the woodland caribou, or in the case of the moose, into the most remote places. Whitetail deer moved in with the human population increase...

Further south, in more urban areas, or where “No Hunting, No Trespassing “ signs keep hunters at bay, and where life is easier for the deer, there are naturally, more deer.

Not my favorite wild game meat, though I’ve tagged and helped to eat several score of them,,, the meat is not bad in chili, stew, or most any dish where it may be ground and hidden away. Cheap enough protein if a fella has his own land, can kill them out the back door, and puts up the meat himself.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 6:14 PM
  12. Gruxxx

Gruxxx NRA Endowment Life Member Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Valley Forge has a ridiculous deer population, but there is no hunting allowed in the park. What could be a wonderful opportunity for bowhunters in the state is instead sourced out to hired sharpshooters. :confused:

13. Wasp

Wasp DOWN IN DIXIE Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Culture shock?

Just imagine how the deer feel when they see somebody fly up in a silent electric "SUV" the size of most deer blinds but ORANGE with Rap music shakingthe ttrees. Next thing you know some green haired guy gets out in skinny jeans and a spandex shirt to relieve himself on the side of the road.

Those deer are never the same after an experience like that. :)

14. Zunga

Zunga Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    It's the same here. There are tons of them and they go where they like. The nearby islands are even worse for a total lack of predators. The pic is one of many in my yard everyday.
    Cheers Jim

IMG_20190905_065040.jpg

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019 at 11:51 AM
  15. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    Get some football cleats and a lasso. Have a saddle on standby. Take video.

16. S.Decker

S.Decker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I take it you're the green haired freak? :18:

17. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    No way, I'd be closer to a regular. I could easily blend in with the locals, except the deer probably know them personally since the population is so low. :)

18. Tdr

Tdr Scout

Blog Posts:
    The last job I was at was somewhere near media pa in Delaware County, the Township actually had road signs reading no hunting in such and such Township, there was a fair amount of woods and fields there .

Woodsman Wannabe likes this.
  19. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    And in related news...
    PA is part way there to allow hunting on Sundays... for three days out of the whole season.
    I knew we were pushing for it, but I didn't know they would put a limit on the Sundays.

20. GreyOne

GreyOne Elder Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Humans were at one time the apex predators anywhere. Now, from political interests and lack of public interest or knowledge, we no longer are even marginal predators in many areas. With that loss of status, we now have generations of both predators and prey who are very dismissive of human presence.

21. Primordial

Primordial MOA #40 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    ...and I think this is because more and more humans think they are not part of the natural world or even feel like they belong on earth and discourage such status as a predator/consumer of natural resources! Modern humans in developed countries are too disconnected from nature.

22. Jetjr

Jetjr Scout

Blog Posts:
    Md regulates it down to the county and private or public lands.

PAcanis and Woodsman Wannabe like this.
  23. Raymond Eisele

Raymond Eisele Scout

Blog Posts:
    I live in north west nj, rural, farming area. Deer are scarce here, why I don't know.

Woodsman Wannabe likes this.
  24. Woodsman Wannabe

Woodsman Wannabe Scout

Blog Posts:
    I live about 75 yards outside the city limits. There is a herd of about a dozen deer that live in the wooded area just inside the city limits. I see them crossing the road almost daily. Can't seem to get them to come out my way though. Closest they come is to drink from the creek that is the city line.

Not sure who told them that a mad man with a fire arm lives over here, but I'd like to give him/her a good Gibb's slap!

PAcanis and PMSteve like this.
  25. Sawdustdave

Sawdustdave Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    'Round here, deer, coons, and whatnot can be found all over the towns in the Fox Valley. An open lot is a sure place to find deer. Any streetside curb can be home to a raccoon. Local airport once had teams come in to cull the deer, but local "can't do that, it's not nice" folks put a stop to that. Guess the chance of hurt and harm to people is better than venison for those who are hard pressed (any deer killed were processed and the meat given to food pantries). It's not unusual to find a story on the news about a deer (and once a bear) entering a home and not being able to find the exit. You know, a wild animal can sure make a mess out of a living room!

AdamD1776 likes this.
  26. CountryRoots

CountryRoots As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord

Blog Posts:
    Urban areas make for some of the best bow hunting, for sure!

Hunters in those areas that have overpopulations need to start some kind of campaign accusing the do-gooders of wanting to starve the deer to death... turn the table and use all their lingo back on them, see how they like it.

It’s criminal to me to let deer (or any other animal for that matter) starve to death when there are so many hungry people in the world who are capable of ethically harvesting them. (I get hungry multiple times a day... as an example)

:mad:

27. CountryRoots

CountryRoots As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord

Blog Posts:
    Makes me hungry just thinking about all those steaks, just standing there staring at me!