Custom knife abuse

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by Gumbi, Jan 11, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Gumbi

Gumbi Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    When looking at pictures that people have taken of their custom knives, it absolutely drives me crazy to see a beautiful knife purposely set down on cement, concrete, or rocks just for the purpose of taking a picture.

Don't you know it will scratch the steel? Don't you know it will put dings in the handle? I suppose some rocks could make for a natural, pretty background for a photo, but cement or concrete? Really? What are you thinking?

And that doubly for those of you who are taking pictures of your custom knife to sell it here! It really makes me cringe.

It's one thing if it's a post-apocolyptic piece, a few extra scratches and dings will only add more character. Or if it's your beater or well worn user, or even soon-to-be well worn user, even if it is custom. No problem. Even @Keyser Söze batoning his Turley with a brick doesn't bother me.

But I start twitching when I see a picture of a safe queen laid on somebody's concrete or gravel driveway. I gotta ask why?!?!

Edit: made some text bold. I think most people are missing the point. I'm definitely not saying you shouldn't use a custom knife. I have several custom knives and ALL of them are users.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    JasonJ, Zaveral, bacpacjac and 9 others like this.
  2. Winterhorse

Winterhorse Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    A high end custom knife will begin decomposing if exposed to light. They MUST be kept in a dark climate controlled safe.

colter, ozarkhunter, m r k i and 30 others like this.
  3. tristndad

tristndad Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I am quite the opposite. I cringe when I see knives with no dings, scratches, patina, what have ya. Knives are meant for work. If I wanted something nice to look at I would by a painting.

Not meant to be negative to your post, I think everyone has the right to view things in their own way. Just wanted to share the other side of the story. 1547271764330-305978089.jpg

4. tristndad

Blog Posts:
    I do get your point! If I wanted to show a pic of my 1911 or revolver that are both blued, I surely would never put them on a rock or gravel.

5. ezra45

ezra45 Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    You would not believe what is done to stuff in commercial advertising shoots of products...
    Your cringe would cringe.

But I do get your point ( pun intended).

Regards,

ezra

6. mosinjoe

mosinjoe Scout

Blog Posts:
    All my knives are users. I don't think I have any "custom" knives either nor would I buy one. Not knocking custom knives here but my knives are users and they're going to look beat up and they are going to look used and going to have a little rust on them and this is the way it is with me. I don't cringe.

7. doulos

doulos Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've taken pictures of mine on rocks, pavers and concrete. :eek: Obviously I did so VERY carefully and no knives were injured (or scratched) during the photo shoot! :4:

bacpacjac, Jim L., OrienM and 4 others like this.
  8. trentu

trentu Guide

Blog Posts:
    Scratches and dings is what we do. As a knifemaker I would be embarrassed if one of my knives couldn't handle being laid down on any rough surface. Dings and scratches add character and history to a knife in my book.

9. fishiker

fishiker Scout

Blog Posts:
    I couldn't agree more. I laugh when I see someone post pics of their most trusted hard use blade that looks like it has never been used as anything other than a model. I never abuse my knives just for the hell of it but my knives get used regardless of the price.

10. RTDoug

RTDoug Scout

Blog Posts:
    According to legend, Bo Randall bought a Scagel knife from a fellow using it to scrape the paint off of a boat. He then made his blades for heavy use, which some would think abuse. How many Randall Made Knives get used to scrape paint? Do with 'em as you see fit.

BCWoodsman, bacpacjac, Jim L. and 7 others like this.
  11. Mr. Tettnanger

Mr. Tettnanger Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Some of us take great pride in maintaining our equipment. What may look to you as “never been used as anything other than a model”, may actually be a compliment to those of us who take care of and maintain our gear.

12. fishiker

fishiker Scout

Blog Posts:
    There's a difference between well maintained and pristine. I take great pride in maintaining my knives and gear but if I use them enough they will show signs of wear. I have used Flitz to polish away scratches on a knife blade but realized the scratches would only return with regular use.

13. Mookietherooster

Mookietherooster Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Banned

Blog Posts:
    x100

bacpacjac, Jim L., Gumbi and 2 others like this.
  14. tristndad

Blog Posts:
    I don't think a knife that shows signs of use, reflects an owner who doesn't take care of or maintains their gear. I use my knives, clean them after use, hone or sharpen them as necessary, keep them oiled. If they hapen to get surface rust I will take the time to remove it. I don't abuse or neglect them, and also take great pride in maintaining them.

Nightflyer, bacpacjac, Jim L. and 4 others like this.
  15. batmanacw

batmanacw Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Everything in the world is on fire.... you, me, your knives, your dog, everything. It's all oxidizing at different rates. If it oxidizes fast you feel the heat. Oxidizing slowly you won't but it is oxidizing. It might take 100 years to show with a well kept knife.

Once you accept the finite nature of everything thing but the human soul and God himself, then you can start to let go of silly stuff like that.

I'm sad to see a knife that will sit in a box and never be truly loved and appreciated for what is does rather than what it might do if it wasn't stuck in a box.

16. batmanacw

batmanacw Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Most of the ugly spots on my knives are from my ham handed attempts at modifications or grinding. I'm not a knife maker. I get it right sometimes but my skills are pretty basic.

Madwell, bacpacjac, Jim L. and 4 others like this.
  17. backwoodstrails

backwoodstrails anatidaephobic Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I remember Dean Collins (Finelight series) saying "the more hot glue you used on a product during a photo shoot, the more likely the agency was to give you the product after the shoot. "
    He used a lot of hot glue on the Ferrari he photographed!

bacpacjac, Jim L., ezra45 and 5 others like this.
  18. OrienM

OrienM Guide

Blog Posts:
    Back when I made custom knives, I loved it when people subjected them to hard use :D...I had someone tell me once that he used one of my knives to cut up old, dirty carpet, and the blade stayed sharp throughout. :dblthumb:

A kid batonned my favorite parang with a rock awhile back :rolleyes: and did a bunch of damage to the spine, which I had to file down. I was annoyed at the time, but now the leftover damage is a reminder of that trip (which was fun, overall).

Tools are just tools, made to do things with, not to sit on a shelf. IMHO...:)

Schmittie, Madwell, bacpacjac and 8 others like this.
  19. Ptpalpha

Ptpalpha Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I can honestly say that while I currently own a fair stable of what I consider to be moderately high end customs, not one of them hasn't been carried, used, and sharpened.
    Some have seen hard use, scraping hickory with the edge while shaping axe hafts, and some have even batoned firewood (my most expensive one, last week).
    I highly doubt you'd notice anything other than evidence of light or even no use if you looked at them, since I'm OCD about maintaining my tools.
    That being said, I'd be embarrassed to have one of the craftsmen who made these knives see me keeping it unused like a hothouse flower.

bacpacjac, Jim L., 08H3 and 6 others like this.
  20. Gumbi

Gumbi Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    To clarify, I'm not saying that custom knives shouldn't be used, loved, or even abused!

I'm saying that if you are trying to keep them in pristine condition, or sell them as an unused knife, they aren't going to stay that way when you're putting them on surfaces that will scratch them up.

trentu, bacpacjac, Jim L. and 3 others like this.
  21. RTDoug

RTDoug Scout

Blog Posts:
    I guess abuse works in their advertising...
    [​IMG]

BCWoodsman, Gumbi, bacpacjac and 4 others like this.
  22. Ptpalpha

Ptpalpha Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Styrofoam rocks in the light box.

:D

BCWoodsman, Gumbi, DCPugh and 3 others like this.
  23. OrienM

OrienM Guide

Blog Posts:
    After reading this thread, I strongly suspect that knife is actually hot-glued to those rocks, lol...:cool:

Gumbi, bacpacjac, Jim L. and 6 others like this.
  24. A Seedy Lot

A Seedy Lot Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I was helping a fellow member with an axe descion by sending him some pictures so he had a better idea of axe size and shape. He mentioned that my axe looked pretty beat up, I was put off a little since I have seen truly beat up axes and mine is merely aged with use, it is tool.

Schmittie, bacpacjac, Jim L. and 3 others like this.
  25. kronin323

kronin323 the barbarian Supporter

Blog Posts:
    So, blade aside, let's say you have brass and/or copper fittings on your shelf queen. Which is keeping it pristine - letting them naturally patina, untouched? Or periodically subjecting it to polishing chemicals? Or even coating with a protectant?

IMO those materials should be allowed to patina naturally.

bacpacjac and Jim L. like this.
  26. americanstrat98

americanstrat98 Wanderer Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I wager there are as many unused custom knives as there are used ones out there. A collector cannot look at an Owner/ User and tell them they are nuts without first pulling the stick from their eye. Lots of users think collectors are nuts.

I can't recall how many hundreds of times I've laid my knives on a rock while they were covered in blood. I wasn't about to put them back in the sheath and see no reason to spare them a scratch or two. When they get enough of them, you'll never notice the new ones.

27. baglock1

baglock1 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
  28. 556mp

556mp Bushwhacker Vendor Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I've batoned my knives with rocks, smacked them through steel garage door cable with a hammer.... open paint cans, cans of food.... sharpened them on random stones laying on the ground, beaten carburetor float bowls on tractors to free up stuck float needles.. I sheet-rocked a room with one of my customs to cut the rock... I use the tip of my knife as a metal scribe... on and on... If I cant use it, I wont carry it. Keeping them for the sake of having or collecting is a different story, but if you got it to use it - use it.

If the post was being sarcastic... Ya got me.

colter, Schmittie, PLackey and 13 others like this.
  29. MountainWanderer

MountainWanderer Scout

Blog Posts:
    I actually welcome that first scratch or ding on a newly purchased item. (Including a vehicle.) Afterwards I can completely relax and just use the thing.
    Also, my definition of ‘abuse’ is likely different than the OP. Leaving a tool out in the rain or not changing oil on a vehicle is abuse. Just using something in a normal manner, isn’t. But, of course, if you own it you can make any definition that works for you.

bacpacjac, Jim L., fishiker and 4 others like this.
  30. JD Miller

JD Miller Scout

Blog Posts:
    This is true...

31. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    I don't view my knives over any other tools I own .
    No tool is more valuable to me than me , so If I can lay on the concrete to work on my vehicles so can they.
    I have even modified my custom made tools to fit the job I'm doing ,my tool my work .

32. fishiker

fishiker Scout

Blog Posts:
    It would take more than that to improve my photos.

33. Gumbi

Gumbi Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    My post was somewhat sarcastic, however I was referring only to safe queens and those who are trying to sell their custom as new, never used.

34. 08H3

08H3 God, Family and Freedom Vendor Supporter

Blog Posts:
    To that tune, why would you pay $500 for a knife, then pay someone $60 to mold a $12 piece of plastic to the knife to use as a sheath that WILL scratch the knife just taking it out of the sheath and putting it in?

20190111_110707.jpg

Bet I destroyed the tip of my Dire Wolf setting it tip first into a grout line (fancy colored cement)... didnt I @556mp...... lol!

20190112_113456.jpg

35. bam7765

bam7765 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have used one of your fancy knives as a throwing knife. @Tennessee

Tennessee, Gumbi, bacpacjac and 2 others like this.
  36. 08H3

08H3 God, Family and Freedom Vendor Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I used one of Matt's blades to baton threw a barbed wire fence before.

I've also dropped a custom knife blank I just got done putting a saber grind on, tip first straight into the shop floor, busted out the concrete! Yep it dulled the edge, 2 seconds on the belt and good as new.

Gumbi, bacpacjac, IzaWildman and 2 others like this.
  37. 556mp

Blog Posts:
    Haha thats awesome. Love hearing stuff like that.

38. mtngunr

mtngunr Scout Banned

Blog Posts:
    I notice guns and knives photographed on harsh surfaces.

My first reaction is to assume the photographer has something under the gun or knife, on a gorgeous one.

As for abuse, I now know that if I stand too close to my counter, while pulling a Wright 3V Outback HARD thru several layers of cardboard, and pulling even harder when a seam encountered,

Is that when the uncontrolled edge flies free, it will strike the inside corner of my stainless steel sink with maximum force,

And will hardly do more than dink the shop burr on the edge in a micro spot near impossible to consistantly find, and will still shave and cut without a hitch....

So, abuse helps us learn to trust new friends....it is why I have so few friends.....

As St Catherine of Siena commented, after being thrown by her mount into a river, looking to heaven, she exclaimed, "If this is how you treat your friends, no wonder you have so few!"

Gumbi, bacpacjac and 08H3 like this.
  39. 556mp

Blog Posts:
    I got ya

bacpacjac, Gumbi and 08H3 like this.
  40. tristndad

Blog Posts:
    we have all regressed a little from the op's intent for this thread. I get what he is saying. It just leads to this topic of use vs not use that we see all of the time. I think we are all different... some buy a knife to use for work, some a hobby, some as art. I don't think anyone is wrong or right. You spent your hard earned dollar on your steel, do as you deem fit.

I personally love the look of a hard worked tool. It tells its own story.

I am guilty of buying a firearm or two, just because it looks nice in my collection. I still shoot them, but would never carry them on a rainy day, in kydex, or God forbid lay them on concrete or rocks unless my life depended on it.

bacpacjac and Gumbi like this.
  41. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have tools with scars , it is history written in the tool .

42. Gumbi

Gumbi Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Exactly!

bacpacjac likes this.
  43. americanstrat98

americanstrat98 Wanderer Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    This mentality reminds me of the saying. "the meek shall inherit the Earth".

You show me one maker who wants to see their creations sitting safely in a vault without being used, and I'll show you a liar or a fraud.

44. tobiism

tobiism Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Amen

45. PeterPNL

PeterPNL Tracker

Blog Posts:
    +1

Gumbi and bacpacjac like this.
  46. Gumbi

Gumbi Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    NOOOOO!!!!!!!

47. Wasp

Wasp We are GO for Sting! Supporter

Blog Posts:
    :11: :11: :4: :11: :11:
    20180311_101942.jpg 20181221_100106(0).jpg 20180311_105151.jpg IMG_3193.JPG

Just gotta be careful when you set it down. None of my stuff has any visible marks.

Oiler20, JasonJ, kronin323 and 4 others like this.
  48. Gumbi

Gumbi Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
  49. Wasp

Wasp We are GO for Sting! Supporter

Blog Posts:
    True but I keep them in good shape. I almost cried (screamed) once when I dropped a G17 off the porch 6 feet onto the concrete. It scratched the sight and back of the slide on the corner.

You can set nice stuff down for photos but you just have to be gentle.

Gumbi and 08H3 like this.
  50. RTDoug

RTDoug Scout

Blog Posts:
    Gumbi and Wasp like this.