Custom Mountaineers and Tradesman Knives: Books Open

Discussion in 'Adventure Sworn Bushcraft Co.' started by Adventure Sworn, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Adventure Sworn

Adventure Sworn Cody Vendor

Blog Posts:
    We just opened the custom order books for two models, the Tradesman and the Mountaineer.

Note: We will STOP taking orders on Friday, April 27th, at 8:00 PM Eastern Time. Be sure to get in your order by then!

Check out this link here to see our custom knife page!

The Waiting List
    We have no idea how many orders we are going to get, so we can't give any accurate ETA's. Within about a week we will have good enough data to give a descent estimate, but right now we're just guessing 6-12 weeks.

Option Changes
    We added some options and removed some others:
    • Added: CPM S35VN steel. We spoke with crucible and want to give this a go for our blades.
    • Added: Kydex sheaths. We are offering kydex sheaths as an option - we will be making some examples soon, but you can bet that they will be made at the same quality standard as our leather sheaths.
    • Added: We have substantially more liner options than before, namely almost every color of G10. Note: when we first opened the books we forgot to add orange G10, but it's up there now. If you wanted orange and it wasn't available, just shoot us an email!
    • Removed: Steel thickness choice. We feel that a certain blade thickness is best suited for certain models, and in this case both the Mountaineer and Tradesman models are offered in 1/8th inch.
    • Removed: Handle thickness choice. Handle thickness selection has always been a bit confusing and very inconsistent, so we're sticking with what 90% of everyone seems to be happy with, what we used to rate a 4/5. This should be comfortable for any hands, small or huge!
    • Removed: Tapered tangs. We're skeletonizing the tangs of our knives a bit extra to lighten them up. Tapering tangs can sometimes affect the integrity of the knife (for example, it can cause issues with how well handles fit, etc.), so we're no longer offering them as a custom option.
    • Removed: Copper hardware. Honestly we didn't include this because we literally can't source copper screws. We make all of our own loveless bolt nuts now, but we need the screws. Let me know if you find some! 10-32 solid copper screws.
    • Removed: Mosaic tube. Just like the copper bolts this has more to do with not being able to source them than anything else. If we can't get them, we probably shouldn't make it an option..
    • Removed: Blade finish. We're trying to come up with one solid standardized blade finish, so we probably won't have an option here anymore. However, we are going to get high quality laser engraver in the somewhat near future, in which case you could send you blade in for some custom patterning or etching down the road.
    • Removed: Maker's mark location. We have been sticking with spine etches for a while now, but a lot of people miss the circular logo. We might be coming out with a new circle logo that we'll use on these customs - if you want a spine logo then just request it specifically. We didn't have it as an option because we still aren't positive as to our options here - we'll send a newsletter when we figure it out though.
    • Removed: Bolsters. We think they are cool, but aren't going to offer them again until we find a smoother way to consistently make them. We had a bit of warranty issues with a few of the ones we did, and we couldn't put our finger on why it happened, so we're just playing it safe for now.
    Hopefully that sums up some of the confusion from the other thread. I know taking away some options might tweak some people, but when it comes down to it, in order to take custom orders we really needed to streamline things. We learned a lot since the last time we took custom orders. And we still have a crapload of options!

Thanks for the support guys, I'd be happy to answer any questions here.
    Cody

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  2. wenochs

wenochs Tracker

Blog Posts:
    One question to start things off. Will all the available options listed on the website be available for 2 weeks or however long the custom book is open for? I didn't want to try to place an order in a day or two and some of the options be gone or sold out. Thanks and all of the bullets above make perfect sense...still bummed about the bolsters though. ;)

rsnurkle and Adventure Sworn like this.
  3. Kyle363

Kyle363 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Can you tell us what the starting custom order number is? I'm curious where I am in line.

rsnurkle likes this.
  4. Aaron600rr

Aaron600rr Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm curious as well. If you started with #1 than you sold 5164 customs before my order lol

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    rsnurkle likes this.
  5. mauiarcher

mauiarcher Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:

I could have been one of the first ones had I known exactly what to order as I was typing at 8p when released. However it took me a friggin hour to decide and finalize (too many choices). :( It is much easier for me to look at a knife and detemine if i like it vs trying to imagone and create one. Hopefully there are not too many ahead of me and others had trouble deciding as well. Curious where I ended up in the queue.

Thanks for the update Cody. I was greatly wondering about blade thickness and handle size. I would have specified the same if given the option.

rsnurkle likes this.
  6. Kyle363

Blog Posts:
    It seemed like a lot of options but for me I was surprised by the lack of options. It took me 11 minutes to place my order. I was hoping for more colorful synthetic options as the primary handle scales. I was also hoping to choose blade thickness and that's what really threw me off. When the only option was 1/8th it made me reconsider which model and which grind to choose.

Aaron600rr likes this.
  7. delkhouri

delkhouri Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Hey @Adventure Sworn What hardness are you running your s35vn at? I ask because in my experience 58-59 is too soft and tends to dull easily where 60-61 seemed really good imo. I have had knives in both hardness and been really underwhelmed and really impressed depending on the hardness.

Nevermind..... should have read on the website first.

• CPM S35VN is a stainless steel which is considered by us to be the ideal stainless steel for use in bushcraft. This steel seems to take an excellent edge sharpness (between 3V and O1), and holds it for quite a long while. The edge holding and toughness properties are great, (though beneath 3V), yet it has the additional bonus of being a true stainless steel. 60-61 RC hardness

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  8. Adventure Sworn

Blog Posts:
    Yes all of the options will remain for the full two weeks.

rsnurkle likes this.
  9. Adventure Sworn

Blog Posts:
    Yeah I think that S35VN is good at 60-61 RC. It's always good with things like this to ask both the steel company and the heat-treat provider what they recommend, so I'll do that, but I'm going to try this batch at 60-61. Crucible highly recommended we try out this steel so we're giving it a go. I don't see it too often on scandis, so I'm looking forward to seeing how it performs.

rsnurkle and delkhouri like this.
  10. Adventure Sworn

Blog Posts:
    Just a head's up; naturally after we opened the order books we got quite a few emails. We're working on getting all of those replied to hopefully by the end of the day.

There are some really cool combinations coming up that you ordered! Thanks guys.

rsnurkle and Kyle363 like this.
  11. Scorpion1080

Scorpion1080 Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
  12. Kyle363

Blog Posts:
  13. Scorpion1080

Blog Posts:
    Thank you for looking Kyle363.

I also have been unable to find the information. I have emailed adventuresworn and I am hoping they can help me out.

14. Kyle363

Blog Posts:
    I'm not sure if G10 and fiber will be the same color blue but I think/hope blue fiber will be a little dark and more subdued than blue G10. I know from other colors of G10 the colors are usually brighter/more vibrant than other materials.

15. MillsJake

MillsJake Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
  16. Scorpion1080

Blog Posts:

I have just received a reply from Adventuresworn via email.

The knife in the photo is using a blue fiber liner.

delkhouri likes this.
  17. MillsJake

MillsJake Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Awesome! that makes me feel better.

Thanks for the reply!

18. Jmac603

Jmac603 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Great looking knives. Would love to add one to the stable.

Paid in full, or deposit on the customs?

Thanks,
    Jason

19. Kyle363

Blog Posts:
    Hi Jason,

For the customs it is paid in full when you order.

20. Adventure Sworn

Blog Posts:
    Thanks everyone. So far we're looking at some really interesting combinations that you guys have ordered. We're looking forward to making all of your custom knife orders. :)

Just an FYI - the order books will be closing for these two models this coming Friday, April 27th, at 8:00 PM Eastern Time. So get in your orders by then! No idea as to when the next round of customs will be available.

ARPILOT, Kyle363 and godshippy like this.
  21. Kyle363

Blog Posts:
    How many orders did you guys end up getting?

godshippy likes this.
  22. Adventure Sworn

Blog Posts:
    So far something like 215, we have another day or two so it will probably end up around 225-250 but I'm not sure. It's really tough to guess the size of the demand.

Aaron600rr and godshippy like this.
  23. Adventure Sworn

Blog Posts:
    That is a thin blue fiber liner. They are normally called "vulcanized fiber", which has always been our most popular liner material. But I figured if I just called them fiber it might seem less crazy sounding lol.

We used to just call it "thin blue", but now that we're also offering thin blue g10 liners, it needed it's own descriptive name.

24. mauiarcher

Blog Posts:
    so you should be through about order #40 by now after 2 weeks @ 20 knives per week? :3:

ElmCityJoker likes this.
  25. Adventure Sworn

Blog Posts:
    We're actually still working on the Woodsman preorders while the steel for the custom orders arrives. It should arrive in a week or so, then we can make the blades and send it out to heat-treat. So it will be probably another 3-4 weeks before we begin getting these custom orders out the door. I think that original ETA (6-12 weeks) will remain pretty accurate.

26. Kyle363

Blog Posts:
    I hope you guys post group photos of the knives as they’re finished.

phatbill83 and Aaron600rr like this.
  27. ElmCityJoker

ElmCityJoker Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Nice idea. Especially for their IG campaign.

Aaron600rr likes this.
  28. Aaron600rr

Aaron600rr Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Yes photos will be a must!

29. mauiarcher

Blog Posts:
    Hey Cody...been about 4 weeks since books closed. Any update you can share?

30. Kyle363

Blog Posts:
    I know they sent out an email with an update.

"Custom Order Updates
    We're looking at getting the first of the custom Mountaineer & Tradesman orders shipped within 2-3 weeks. We have a little delay with the CPM 3V steel, so the O1 and S35VN orders may some of the first ones out. Either way, we should be on track with all of the custom orders to be shipped out in less than 12 weeks total (6-12 weeks was the original estimation), and once again because of various complications this ETA is not promised. Thanks for your patience.
    We have began taking work-in-progress photos of the custom orders as they are being made. We will upload them to our instagram / facebook pages, so keep your eyes peeled for your order! We may state which order number the knife is, but of course we will not state your name or address (for confidentiality purposes)."

Last edited: May 28, 2018
    Aaron600rr likes this.
  31. mauiarcher

Blog Posts:
    thanks brother! I missed that email.

32. delkhouri

delkhouri Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Have any of these started to ship. I know that they said 6-12 weeks a d I think we are in week 7 or 8

Aaron600rr likes this.
  33. Kyle363

Blog Posts:
    Friday will be 7 weeks since custom orders closed. I've seen some Instagram posts showing fire steels and handle material but no knives yet. I know I'm pretty close to the front of the line maybe with in the first 25 orders and my steel choice was O1 so no delays with steel. Hoping they ship any day now.

Aaron600rr likes this.
  34. mauiarcher

Blog Posts:
    My order number was no where near that on the fire steels. :( it took me an hour to decide on choices once books opened so no telling how many orders were placed in the first hour. The wait continues.