Custom or factory?

Discussion in 'General Bushcraft Discussion' started by Code of The West Survival, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Clay Bird

Clay Bird Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Mora Companion was my first fixed blade. They really are underpriced, and i believe that's because they've got a very efficient production line and sell loads of them each year. I ended up getting the heavy duty version as well, since in my area there's a mixture of hardwood and very knotted soft woods. Seeing the blade of the regular companion bend in a knot while batoning was a little sketchy.

2. Barry J

Barry J Guide

Blog Posts:
    Nothing at all wrong with LT Wright!
    I love that brand.

Holtzcraft, Jim L. and WY_Not like this.
  3. Clay Bird

Clay Bird Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I do feel that their prices are a little on the high side for the grade of steel used, but I wonder if they source their steel from the US rather than importing. Either way, their products are solid. I've batoned with my great plainsman without issue, and I'm happy I bought it.

Although, now that I look at their prices again, I think they might have lowered them. I seem to remember the GNS being a $210 knife....

Holtzcraft, Jim L. and Barry J like this.
  4. shoggoth80

shoggoth80 Scout

Blog Posts:
    All of mine are factory/production.
    I'm changing that when I get paid next. Lol.

Barry J, Holtzcraft and Jim L. like this.
  5. leghog

leghog Guide

Blog Posts:
    They start at $149

My LT Wright NextGen in iron wood was $135
    [​IMG]

Denman, Holtzcraft, Barry J and 2 others like this.
  6. Clay Bird

Clay Bird Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I was including the sheath in my assessment, as typically you'll but that as well.

Nice blade though.

Jim L. and Holtzcraft like this.
  7. leghog

leghog Guide

Blog Posts:
    The JRE sheaths LT Wright sells start at $20.

Jim L., Holtzcraft and Barry J like this.
  8. Clay Bird

Clay Bird Tracker

Blog Posts:
    That's odd. When I look on their site, to buy a GNS with a sheath adds $40 to bring it to $189.

9. Wasp

Wasp DOWN IN DIXIE Supporter

Blog Posts:
    There's several knife and gun threads in the general section, I don't get it. Edged Tool and Firearms section would get more attention and easier to search. Not to mention being in the correct subforum.

10. americanstrat98

americanstrat98 Wanderer Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I love them both, but rarely like what people have custom made if that makes sense. Too often I see aggressive curves, sharp angles, thick blades, and sharp jimping. None of these things are desirable on a hand tool, which is the essence of a knife.

My latest hairbrain idea is to have a my 4" old Hickory modded knife recreated in 3V with a convex grind at 3/32" thick with a 4.25" walnut handle. Now that would be a sweet camp knife.

I applaud A Seedy lot for putting out thin knives. It warms the cockles of my heart.:):42:

11. jjwint

jjwint Tracker Banned

Blog Posts:
    Factory made. The cheaper the better. As long as it cuts, I don't care if it comes from a flea market. That's what I recommend to anyone wanting to start bushycrafting.

You let the knife tell you when it's no longer suitable. Hard to think of a "for example" . . . but let's say you're invited to Jurassic Park and you plan of fighting a velociraptor hand-to-hand . . . and then skinning him.

[​IMG]

Situation like that . . . OK . . . maybe you ask the safari guides what they recommend . . . .

A top quality knife will have a blade that never dulls, never chips and never breaks. As the risk of that happening increases, the price will decrease. So it's a balance game, not an ego game. You need to match your REAL requirements to the most INEXPENSIVE tool you can find. For 99% of us . . . the flea market and Walmart models are sufficient.

But it will take you some experience and hard self-assesment to understand that. Most people never get to that level of honesty.

Why do you think "knife selling" is such a large, profitable business?

12. Barry J

Barry J Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have owned a lot of cheap knives, large, small and everything in between. I have to say that my two Bark River knives will out perform all my cheap knives. Edge retention, chip resistance, balance, edge geometry and ergonomics. There are many knives more expensive, and many less expensive.
    The Bark River's suit my needs very well.

13. Clay Bird

Clay Bird Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Sure a tool from Harbor Freight will do a job, but it might not last as long or have as much power as an older-model Milwaukee.

Jim L., Holtzcraft and Barry J like this.
  14. leghog

leghog Guide

Blog Posts:
    What sheath are you buying? The danglers are $30 and up. The hip sheaths are $20 and up.

15. Clay Bird

Clay Bird Tracker

Blog Posts:
    There's only a couple options on their site. Leather and some sort of synthetic material.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Barry J, Jim L. and Holtzcraft like this.
  16. Holtzcraft

Holtzcraft Guide

Blog Posts:
    Factory. I would like to own a custom knife but haven't taken the plunge yet.

Bush Billy, Barry J and Jim L. like this.
  17. Clay Bird

Clay Bird Tracker

Blog Posts:
    You should be able to get a Malanika EDC in a non-"supersteel" for sub $200, sheath and shipping included. I want one as a boot knife.

Barry J and Holtzcraft like this.
  18. Jim L.

Jim L. Guide

Blog Posts:
    Did you sneak that V. Raptor pic. in my back yard @jjwint ? That's why I was talking the .50AE lever action earlier....... :dblthumb: ... :4: ... :rolleyes:

Barry J, Holtzcraft and jjwint like this.
  19. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have no particular preference ,except that I won't pay big money for something I make my self. For a guy with about 30-40 knives after a while you really don't get picky any more ,
    I suppose that if I did not make knives and were living out of a shoe box and sold off a knife before buying one to replace it ,then I mght have the tendency to go for the custom made ones.

Barry J and Holtzcraft like this.
  20. jjwint

jjwint Tracker Banned

Blog Posts:
    Man . . . that 'raptor will need at least an 88mm with a flat trajectory . . . . maybe even a 120mm SABOT . . . .

21. jjwint

jjwint Tracker Banned

Blog Posts:
    [QUOTE="Barry J, post: 4515109, member: 70918" I have to say that my two Bark River knives will out perform all my cheap knives. Edge retention, chip resistance, balance, edge geometry and ergonomics. <SNIP>
    The Bark River's suit my needs very well.[/QUOTE]

That's well said. I believe that for most people here, the Edge retention, chip resistance, balance, edge geometry and ergonomics of a cheap knife will be more than sufficient.

But as REQUIREMENTS develop, as in your case they obviously have, one may have a use for increased capability.

Unfortunately, for most bushcrafters, it happens exactly the opposite.

First they assume they NEED a $400 custom-made knife . . . and then they begin to learn exactly what their requirements are.

The knife gets carried around for a while and maybe the sheath gets a little mud on it . . . . and it becomes a nice wall decoration.

And it's not just knives. I've seen this with all sorts of gear. Some items are too nice to be used!

It would be best if people upgraded as their mission requirements matured.

But I'm talking logic.

Humans aren't logical.

DCPugh, Holtzcraft and Barry J like this.
  22. Barry J

Barry J Guide

Blog Posts:

I can relate to what you are saying. Basically, start cheap and then work up if necessary. I started cheap, and then kept progressing until I found my sweet spot. I actually greatly exceeded that midrange price point with a custom. But then dropped back a bit in price and arrived where I am now. Very happy with what I have.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    Denman and Holtzcraft like this.
  23. leghog

leghog Guide

Blog Posts:
    That's with a dangler sheath. Again, the JRE hip sheaths LT Wright sells begin at $20. I bought a hip sheath with my Next Gen. Simply call LT Wright and order a hip sheath. If a knife or knife sheath combo isn't available on the website, simply call. They will work with you and try to meet your needs. They truly are great to deal with.

When I bought my Next Gen, I could not find what I wanted anywhere on the internet. I called LT Wright ordered what I wanted (an iron wood Next Gen in D2 with left hand hip sheath) and picked it up the Nation's Gun Show a few weeks later. When I got to the gun show there were three iron wood Next Gens for me to pick from.

His sheaths are such a good value, I took a couple of knives to another show he was at, and he sold me sheaths for them. One was $20 and the other $25.

Condor Kephart in a JRE hip sheath from LT Wright.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Drevenak Nessmuk in a JRE hip sheath from LT Wright.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

LT Wright's company is truly customer oriented, and that comes from/starts at the very top, LT Wright himself. A genuinely nice guy and very professional.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    Denman, Kreger, Clay Bird and 3 others like this.
  24. buckfynn

buckfynn Old Geezer Lifetime Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    For me it is both custom and production, it really doesn't matter much, except the price. As time goes on my knife desires change, what I look for now is more about performance and less about looks.

If the blade geometry and/or heat treat is borked in the end I won't every be happy with the knife. Sometimes the blade geometry can be fixed, at my skill level and what I have available to fix it, an off heat treat cannot.

I still like expensive, shiny, new custom and semi-custom knives. But I am trying to be more content with what I already have and use them instead buying the next new knife that catches my eye. I guess you could say, I am at a point with knives, that the grass always isn't greener on the other side of the fence.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  25. TX-1948

TX-1948 Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I have some of both and I use all of them from time to time. Two of my favorites are a modified Esee 6 and an East Fork from Meeting Creek Knives. Sometimes it seems that I have more knives than I need....but I get over that feeling pretty quick.;)

26. Code of The West Survival

Code of The West Survival Scout

Blog Posts:
    To be honest... I never lost a knife. I am outdoors all the time.
    Maybe because it is my muscle memory... Feel a pistol with my elbow, knife with my thumb.... weird, a?
    I found a Letaherman once... I found a rusty revolver once... I never found a knife.
    So I guess it makes us even. I never lost or found a knife.

Denman and Barry J like this.
  27. Code of The West Survival

Code of The West Survival Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have many folders. Some are nostalgic memories, others have sentimental value...
    So I always leave them at home.
    I always have a fixed blade on me on my trips. Plus I always have Swiss Army (Officer edition) folder on me. It is the only folder that I carry. They rest of folders are always at home.

Denman and Barry J like this.
  28. Bush Billy

Bush Billy Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Factory. The only problem is they clash with my gouache axe.

29. Denman

Denman Scout

Blog Posts:
    Me too I look for the same thing.