Customer Reviews

Discussion in 'Bushcraft Kit Knives' started by BogdanS, Sep 28, 2017.

1. BogdanS

BogdanS Tracker Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Hopefully this thread will be useful for both us and our customers. Good or bad your opinion is of High importance.
    No comment will be moderated/deleted and the only rule would be respect.
    Good things will reward us and make us go further which is a good thing; bad reviews will be of even more help to make us improve and get where you expect us to be.

Thanks for spending your time writing a comment, it is much appreciated and will be of great use!

All the best, God bless,
    Bogdan

Mike Kreger and Runesland like this.
  2. Runesland

Runesland Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Received this knife from @BogdanS several weeks ago. I reviewed another thread here and it looked like the perfect Woods/carving knife to me. Classy lines, and simple..... exactly what I was looking for.

As a side note; this is my FIRST custom knife. I have been into U.L. Backpacking so I have been packing a SAK and a Saw forever..... and that's about it.

Received the knife and I was IMMEDIATELY impressed. Perfect grind lines, simple micarta handle, and fantastic sheath. Well above price point.

Went ahead and roughed out a crude spoon, fiddled around with about the worst feather stick in history, and even used to to split a round down to size.

This is (for me anyway) the perfect knife to take in the woods. . Perfect in the shop to carve spoons and such, and due to its 1/8 " blade thickness, sliced up onions well. @BogdanS makes highly useful/simple outdoor tools. Couldn't be happier about my first custom knife. Specs below:

95mm o1 blade at 3mm thick

105mm handle

I would suggest the sheath. For the extra $$$ it's well worth it!!!!

IMG_1683.JPG

IMG_1679.JPG

IMG_1682.JPG

I sealed the micarta up with some Howard's feed n' wax. Works on the blade as well.

IMG_3037.JPG

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  3. clanmaki

clanmaki Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have nothing but good to say about this Vendor! I bought three Blade blanks from Bushcraft Kit Knives and they were spot on! Beautiful bladesmithing and superb heat treat! @BogdenS was wonderful to deal with! He is a super nice guy and very generous. You will not be disappointed dealing with this craftsman.

Mike Kreger, Swamp Pirate and Kona9 like this.
  4. Sefton

Sefton Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I picked up the Artifact from BogdanS recently. Excellent knife and a lot of quality for the price.
    Patina starting to show after using it in the kitchen.

Oak is no problem.

[​IMG]

Throws sparks like flame thrower.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

For a small knife , it's nice to see the handle fills the hand.

[​IMG]

Fit and finish is outstanding.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sheath is well made.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mike Kreger, Micah, Broke and 3 others like this.
  5. T-Rav

T-Rav Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Disclaimer: This is the first knife review I've ever done, so give me some slack if it's terrible.

So whenever I receive a new custom knife, the first thing I do after opening the box and giving it a quick once-over is to look for imperfections. It's not that I want to nitpick a knife. Rather, I enjoy finding the little things that make the knife unique and show me it was made by a craftsman and not a machine. Sometimes finding those imperfections is very easy, and sometimes not so much. My new Beaver knife with bone corian handles was a tough one to spot anything that wasn't perfect. I've had an easier time finding imperfections on knives costing three times as much. Needless to say, I was impressed before the knife ever cut anything.

After running the knife over a strop, I took the obligatory glamor shots:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Handle:
    I've been on a quest for the past several years to find the "perfect" bushcraft knife. I've still not found it, but the search has taught me one thing about handles. For me, the simpler the better. The Beaver has what I consider the perfect handle. It doesn't have any swells that may or may not match an individual's hand. It's nice and fat, with just enough shape to index well, but not so much shape to be anything other than comfortable. The handle perfectly fills my medium/large hands. While testing, the handle never felt anything other than comfortable to the point that I quickly stopped thinking about the handle, and that's a good thing.
    [​IMG]

Blade:
    The Beaver is a wood crafter. I suppose you could use it for a general purpose bushcraft knife, but that's not what I got it for. I got it to be a carving/crafting knife. For that purpose it has an great blade shape. The blade is nice and pointy and is short enough to be very maneuverable. The knife has a handle-heavy balance which adds to the agility of the knife. Moving it around in the hand is smooth and effortless. The blade came sharp, but a rough sharp. After a thorough stropping, it was clear I'd need a complete sharpening before I'd be completely content with it (I tend to be a little obsessive about my knives' edge), but it was plenty sharp enough to pop hair and conduct my testing.

Testing:
    My first test was to finish a spoon I'd started with another blade. The Beaver performed perfectly, almost too much so. A spoon was too simple to really test the knife.
    [​IMG]

My next test was a net needle. I started with a seasoned piece of pine fire wood. After batoning off a slab that was way too big (intentionally so since I wanted to do a lot of carving) I set to work. I figured a net needle would be a good test since it would involve hogging the wood down, working with the tip, prying, and generally not being very nice to the fine edge of the knife especially with a dried, seasoned piece of wood.

Check out the size of the wood shavings. This thing will remove some serious material. I can only imagine what it’d do with some green wood.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

While finishing the bottom of the needle, I used the blade to scrape cross-grain in an attempt to test the heat treat of the O1. I’ve had enough blades in O1 that I’ve experienced both the good and bad ends of what O1 can be. After intentionally trying to damage the edge (mind you this is a zero-grind scandi with a bevel angle you’d expect for a carving-specific blade), the O1 behaved exactly as it should have, slightly rolling but no chipping and no big rolls. A few passes on the strop brought it back with little effort. In the end, I’d say the O1 behaved exactly as it should have, meaning the heat treat was done right.

Finally, I resharpened the blade to give it the mirrored bevels and perfect edge that I like. It’s ready for the next project.
    [​IMG]

Conclusion:
    I really like this knife. I don’t think there is anything I would change about it for it’s stated purpose of a wood crafting knife. In short, this is a fantastic knife, but I have to mention price. Bogdan’s prices are unbelievable given the quality you get. I would give this knife rave reviews at twice the price without a second thought. More than once I’ve spent over double and received much less quality than this. I will absolutely be placing an order for a Myth model once I get past the holiday expenses. Thanks Bogdan!

Mike Kreger, TexasPrimitive and Kona9 like this.
  6. BogdanS

BogdanS Tracker Vendor

Blog Posts:
    @T-Rav - thank you very much for spending your time to test the Beaver knife! A happy customer is the greatest reward for me; money come and go and so does our lives but if someone is sayig your name with joy this really makes the difference ;)
    May it serve you well my dear friend!

All the best, God bless,
    Bogdan