1. Due to the amount of SPAM from foreign countries lately, we have made the decision to manually approve all new members. While we regret that this must be done and the added time that it will take for new members to be approved, it is necessary at this time. We hope to have legitimate new members approved in a timely manner, no longer than a couple of hours. If the Administrators are online at the time, it can be as soon as a couple of minutes. Thank you for your patience.
    Dismiss Notice

Daily doings at your homestead

Discussion in 'Homesteading' started by Forestree, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Have heard them, but give them a wide berth!

Garden looks great! we just had a giant pasta salad made from my neighbor's garden generosity for lunch... Maters, cukes, etc... good stuff!

2. Sealbilly

Sealbilly Guide

Blog Posts:
    Added a granny smith to the orchard. uploadfromtaptalk1465254983616.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

3. Forestree

Forestree Supporter Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Since the forum changes I’ve lately been more of a viewer than a participator....it’s been a shock to me and I don’t like computer changes haha. Kind of like when the email, pay and gps systems change at work…..I dislike learning new computer skills. Hell, I still have an aol email address if that says anything. Anyway, figured this’d be a good place to learn how to post pictures again….mostly pictures of food (which is one of my favorite things about summer)

Some pickins from the garden

037.JPG

The tomato plants are out of control this year!

010.JPG

Lubber grasshopper on a pepper plant

013.JPG

Was excited to find my first black trumpet mushrooms in the woods behind the house and there’s tons of chanterelles around as well. Really enjoy the flavor of both and they’re a special treat to enjoy hopefully for a while

076.JPG

Crazy chanterelle!

029.JPG

Looking like a limb breaking crop of pears this year and here’s my old buddy enjoying some of the fallen fruit….he absolutely loves pears

049.JPG

Cool, it all worked I think.....relatively painless :D

4. kyporter

kyporter Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I used a pressure canner for the first time today. 14 quarts of green beans and taters are good to go. The peach tree I planted in my front yard is finally starting to produce. The 7 trees in my backyard have done nothing. I'm guessing not enough sunlight for them. It was a lot of work, picking and stringing beans- digging, peeling, and cutting potatoes but it was worth it. It's been a good day!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Dadio

Dadio Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Today I finally was able to get some brush cut for the first time this year. The lambs quarter, burdock, nettles and other weeds had grown over six feet tall, but I didn't have the equipment to clean it up until a couple weeks ago when we bought a tractor and bush hog. My last experience driving a tractor was about, 35 years ago, but a new Kubota is light years easier than my grandpas old Massey. I spent a few hundred more for a heavier duty rotary cutter and I'm glad I did. Took it slow and was pretty careful, and had no scary moments luckily. Spent two and a half hours or so trimming it up, and have a few hours left with a brush cutter on my weed eater for areas I was worried might have something that would mess up my machinery.

Worst part was the nettles that found their way to my arms, neck and chest. Still itching from that.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  6. Jonah L. Archer

Jonah L. Archer Guide Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Good idea for a thread.

No pics or video, but we finished up installing a new line from the irrigation pump to the sprinkler system. The old one had so many splices and leaks. All better now.

7. JohnP

JohnP No more half measures Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
  8. Dadio

Blog Posts:
    I was able to brush hog about half of the field in the creek bottom after church yesterday. A neighbor hayed it in the spring but went around some small locust trees (understandably) and so I was happy to get a chance to knock those down.

Momio and I will head out there today to view the eclipse if the clouds cooperate.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
    Guy and Forestree like this.
  9. Dadio

Blog Posts:
    Seems like much longer than a week since the eclipse already,
    but it was cool being out there with Momio.

This weekend my son and I started working on a tower blind. I located it where it has a good view of a dogleg at the end of the creek bottom field and also of a gap in the treeline that parallels the creek. We sunk the posts two feet in the ground and braced it well four feet up. I designed it to have stairs instead of a ladder so the footprint is ten by eight including the two feet wide stairs. Hope that makes sense. Over Labor Day I'll add the stairs and the platform that should be 8 or 10 feet up. Some photos.
    IMG_20170826_145201_637.jpg

IMG_20170821_142528_028.jpg

10. RavenLoon

RavenLoon axology student Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Brushed out my deer blind and opening plus part of the road. The blind is new, I still need to camo it better.

DSC00530.JPG DSC00532.JPG DSC00527.JPG

11. RavenLoon

Blog Posts:
    Also warmed up a pasty on my rocket stove and used my Collins legitimus hatchet and Pasi Hurtila Puukko.
    DSC00499.JPG

DSC00506.JPG DSC00514.JPG

12. Forestree

Blog Posts:
    Dadio and RavenLoon like this.
  13. RavenLoon

Blog Posts:
    Those came from Henry Fords sawmill in Pequaming, Michigan

Unistat76 and Forestree like this.
  14. hughhaff

hughhaff Scout

Blog Posts:
    I picked a bucket of green beans today, dug up 20 pounds of Yukon Golds, & grilled pork burgers from a pig we had slaughtered. The wife & I have a 10 year plan to be totally off grid self sufficient homesteaders, once the youngest has graduated from high school.

Dadio, Unistat76, RavenLoon and 2 others like this.
  15. Dadio

Blog Posts:
    Good week at the new property. Momio spent Saturday morning on the tower stand and pretty much got it knocked out. I have one more deck board to cut and screw down but we rebuilt the lower stairs (it had been crooked because the ground is uneven and I just didn't like how it looked the first time), built the upper stairs and landing, and added some railing. Right now I'm leaning to buying a commercial blind instead of scratch building one. What I'll lose in a few square feet I'll add in time, safety, and lack of maintenance. The cost is about a wash between those options.

I also learned some new skills with the tractor. I had been around tractors as an adolescent, but things have changes and/or I don't remember what I had learned. I struggled switching out the brush hog for the box blade, and a good part of the struggle was just figuring out how to get the darn PTO off. The new ones have a plastic safety sleeve or something that I just couldn't figure out. Turns out I was tugging and pulling on the wrong part that whole time, and the PTO itself was what I should have been messing with. I'm a bit embarrassed about it once I figured out how easy it really was, but that's a lesson learned. It was also a struggle to get the three point unhooked from the brush hog and onto the box blade, but that fit with my memory from before so not much changed there.
    Tower stand.jpg
    I just have a "before" photo" of the lane. It also took me a while to figure out how to use the box blade but I did get the job done, with the grass and middle hump removed and the gravel leveled out. It still has a slight lean to the ditches but all in all looks much better. I think it had been a long time since anyone paid much attention to that lane. When we get closer to building the new house I'll have some gravel delivered and give it another layer.
    Lane before.JPG

That's about it. My son wanted to celebrate his 27th birthday out there so we grilled up the last of the baskstraps from last year's deer and had a good ol' time with him, his wife, my daughter and her husband and my wife. Putting those memories into the bank are worth all the saving and work.

Oh, the deer and squirrels hit that apple tree hard. From dozens and dozens of apples we only were able to actually harvest a handful, but they have a great flavor and we've got some sliced and in the dehydrator as I write. It's an extra pleasure to eat things grown on your place, at least I think so.
    Apples.jpg
    Thanks for reading!

16. Dadio

Blog Posts:
    Got a ton done. Cut down and piled up six locust trees that were A) honey locusts trees and B) messing up the sight lines from the new stand. Used the loader bucket to clear out a year's growth of brush from in front of the old barn because I didn't want to risk using the shredder when I wasn't sure what was in there. Turned out to be a good move due to the pile of t-posts and the telephone pole that was hidden in there. Did a bunch of brush hogging and mowing as well.

Helped my son run some old joists we had salvaged from the workshop project through the planer. Thought they were rough cut oak but when they came out of the planer I'm pretty sure they were made of maple. He's using them for the top of a small table he's making as a wedding gift.

Seeker, Forestree and RavenLoon like this.
  17. hughhaff

hughhaff Scout

Blog Posts:
    Today I got the potatoes down into the basement for storage, shelled dry beans, & pulled & hung up the rest of the bean plants. The yellow squash must know that winter is coming because they are going bananas! Ate 2 of those for supper tonight & the kids actually LIKE them! I picked up 3 water barrels two weeks ago & will get those ready for spring this winter.

Seeker, RavenLoon and Forestree like this.
  18. cockeyedhunter

cockeyedhunter Guide Lifetime Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Been harvesting apples and making cider lately. Hope to make some apple butter and apple sauce once I run out of cider containers.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

19. Forestree

Blog Posts:
    Very nice! Would be cool to see some pics as to how you make the apple butter too....I absolutely love the stuff! Best thing to transform dry tasteless bannock into a gourmet dish :D