Daily doings at your homestead

Discussion in 'Homesteading' started by Forestree, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Dadio

Dadio Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Can do. I'll take some pictures tomorrow.

Guy and KFF like this.
  2. Dadio

Blog Posts:
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
    Forestree, KFF, Guy and 1 other person like this.
  3. Dadio

Blog Posts:
    IMG_20180310_111101.jpg
    Burdock root in the fill for the raised beds.

My son, daughter and son in law came out to help Momio and me build more raised beds. We built three frames and on one of those used the rest of my small pieces of tin to finish. The other two are ready for tin, but I have to salvage it from the barn we are taking down first. That little tractor is as handy as a pocket on a shirt. Showed my son how to attach equipment to the three point and how to adjust the lean. This is all new to us and he is vertical interested.

Used the box blade to pile up dirt in what used to be the barnyard, and we had a couple other piles here and there. Both he and I had a lot of fun just playing in the dirt. Takes about ten scoops to fill those beds, and we were careful to choose the rocky and weedy stuff for the bottom layers and saving the best stuff for the top. I’ve got some pavers to put between the beds, and there is plenty of fencing that will be taken out when we build the house, so that’s something to look forward to.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  4. A Seedy Lot

A Seedy Lot Scout

Blog Posts:
    Decided to see how much snow is still in bottom garden, 30 inches.

dogs and snow.JPG

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    gohammergo, Dadio, Forestree and 3 others like this.
  5. KFF

KFF Scout

Blog Posts:
    @Dadio Thanks for the instructions!
    Will print it out and take to a welder.

RavenLoon and Guy like this.
  6. RavenLoon

RavenLoon axology student Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I snowshoed in the two miles to my land to check on my sugarbush. I quit making syrup for various reasons but mostly because it became too hard for the amount of money it generated. I wanted to check on the buildings. I'm a little melancholy but also relieved too. Everything is still standing. One of my projects this year is to take down all the sap tubing.

DSC01272.JPG DSC01275.JPG DSC01274.JPG DSC01279.JPG

7. A Seedy Lot

A Seedy Lot Scout

Blog Posts:
    Farming season as finally arrived and since i was out of town for work for the last 2 weeks I have many projects waiting for attention.

Today I made a trip to Peaco in Big Arm and picked up a yard of organic potting soil and 2 yards of peat moss.
    20180418_163842(0).jpg

I then rolled into my mom's greenhouse project where we worked on a 16 inch deep blue board thermal break and concrete block raised bed that is also functioning as thermal mass.
    20180418_163644.jpg

8. Riverpirate

Riverpirate Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I will try and get some pictures later tonight. But we had an addition to the farm this morning. One of our mares has dropped a healthy filly. First one of the season.

RavenLoon, Dadio, gohammergo and 2 others like this.
  9. A Seedy Lot

A Seedy Lot Scout

Blog Posts:
    Not only did I start hundreds of plants yesterday I also created a new perennial bed and transplanted a heap of composting worms into a new bin.

The bed is larger then it looks and the spacing of the plants should fill in to form a "forest" feel that will need little upkeep once mature. I planted 5 chive plants, 2 sorrel plants, 4 Alexandra Alpine strawberry, 1 Viking Aronia, 1 lavender, 1 Smokey serviceberry, 1 Crandall current, and of course a Siberian pea shrub to fix nitrogen in the bed.
    20180422_164634.jpg

I was working on a different bed and and after mulching I made 3 separate worm piles to break down the mulch. There were more worms in my bucket then I wanted to use on the bed so I started a new compost bin with the extra red wigglers.
    20180422_174609.jpg

Lichen, Forestree, Dadio and 3 others like this.
  10. A Seedy Lot

A Seedy Lot Scout

Blog Posts:
    20180424_133553.jpg

Finished the rear bed in the greenhouse. The bed weighs over 2000 pounds so should help out tempering night time tempatures. The planting area is 16 inches by 15 feet. We rammed earth into the holes of the blocks to increase our mass and add structure. The front holes we lightly filled the last 6 inches with the thought of planting basil once the soil warms up. As of now I planted the bed with lettuce mix at micro green densities, should be able to start harvesting micro greens in a couple weeks and we will harvest all that is left a week before we plant tomatoes and peppers.

11. Dadio

Blog Posts:
    FD8752EA-9C92-4A6C-A25A-9AA331836210.jpeg 28F2A5F9-D89B-4D99-B1A0-429EE95E8821.jpeg We added some more beds, now at six of the planned eight for the year. I had the day off, and it turned out to be one of the most perfect weather wise I can remember in a long time. Hooked up the brush hog for the first time this year and knocked down the broadleaf weeds. Glad I did. Trying to keep ahead of them this year. Momio and I picked up the material for the last two beds, so Lord and weather willing we will be done setting up and planting the garden next weekend.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  12. Dadio

Blog Posts:
    Finished the last two raised beds, filled and planted them. That was a lot of work and some expense but we shouldn’t have to replace them for a decade or more. I have arthritis in my back and having the garden at a comfortable height makes it so much more enjoyable.

Made a few passes up and down the lane with my box blade to clear out the grass. I’ll need some more rock for it eventually but it’s solid and well drained. That box blade was a good purchase. I used it to scrape up the eighty or so bucket loads of soil for the beds out of the old barnyard area. It’s an ingenious design.

Garden is going well. It’s hard to keep up with the potato plants. We planted them in a trench and have already hilled them even to the depth of the bed. We will be adding straw and soil to hill them further. We need some rain, but the straw mulch is doing a great job reflecting some of the heat and keeping the soil from drying out.

That’s about it this week. Thanks for reading,

13. RavenLoon

Blog Posts:
    I tested a new tool. An Echo 58V lithium battery powered chainsaw. I cut down and processed two six inch diameter red maples on my lot here in town. The trees were poor quality overtopping some nice young oak and pine. A lot of power similar to my 52cc gas saw. I plan on carrying it in my truck and using it at my home. My gas saws are at my land usually. No gas fumes to smell or spill, and very quiet to run.
    DSC01365.JPG DSC01348.JPG

14. JohnP

JohnP No more half measures Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for posting, @RavenLoon. As you use it more, please keep us updated on how it works out for you. I really can’t see myself giving up my Stihl, but that’s a very interesting saw.

JohnP

Forestree, RavenLoon and Dadio like this.
  15. fjcruisin

fjcruisin Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I also would be interested in hearing more about it.

16. RavenLoon

Blog Posts:
    So far I cut that pile and another pile about half that size on one charge. I cut that bottom piece which is 12" in diameter off the stump from the double tree. It loses power towards the end of a charge, not a sudden complete shut down like a lithium drill. It takes about a half hour for recharging the battery. Extra batteries are expensive, over $150 so I'm just using the one it came with for now.

Forestree, JohnP and Dadio like this.
  17. JohnP

Blog Posts:
    I wondered how much spare batteries cost. That’s pretty steep. Thanks for sharing.

JohnP

Forestree and RavenLoon like this.
  18. JohnP

Blog Posts:
    Last week I loaded my Craftsman mower into the trailer and mowed my daughter’s grass in town. Today I started to mow a little patch and the mower wouldn’t even whimper. Dead silence. Weird, I thought, she was running perfectly last week. Flipped open the hood and saw corn on top of the gas tank. Not good.
    8A199546-392F-4268-8277-7F1334C25094.jpeg

I took the steering wheel off and removed the cowling. Looks like the foundation of a rat’s nest.
    686D0FD0-2294-481C-8CD2-FEDB07510E3D.jpeg

I got the shop vac and cleaned her up good. Two wires chewed in two, two others gnawed.
    00B51F87-2448-4986-B952-262E22D1258D.jpeg

A5E5867D-24A6-4894-A67A-440E91053DDF.jpeg

So I spliced and taped and got it running without much of a problem. It shares a tractorport with a Mihindra and I got to wondering about it so I started it up. When I did, a big ole rat ran out of the bottom of it and up the tree right by me.
    17EE45BE-A19F-4D23-BF68-BF2346FEE71F.jpeg

So, I have a rat problem. Not sure what I’m gonna do about it. I hate poison. We have lots of possums, squirrels, coons, and other things I wouldn’t want to poison. If I set traps I’d catch more squirrels than rats. A barn cat would most likely catch squirrels while the mice ran freely.

JohnP

19. Bushcraft-kelso

Bushcraft-kelso Am are Hobbyist Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Well I have slacked on this thread big time.. 1526504149897295134609.jpg daily haul.. up to a dozen a day

20. Forestree

Forestree Guide Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I agree about the poison and don't like it either. Rats and mice are common problems in rural areas and I can attest to the damage and headaches they cause. For rats I've used regular spring traps with great success by placing in the well traveled rat areas. There's lots of squirrels around the same areas and I've never inadvertently gotten one in a trap

JohnP likes this.
  21. JohnP

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for posting. I’ve also thought about putting spring traps out at night in places where possums can’t get to them. Squirrels aren’t usually out and about at night when the rats are partying. Since the mower issue, I’ve been starting both the tractor and mower everyday in hopes of scaring them away, a temporary solution at best.

JohnP

Forestree and Dadio like this.
  22. americanstrat98

americanstrat98 Wanderer Supporter

Blog Posts:
    After 3 years of tilling a big garden, I decided to stop and try a raised bed. I'll probably put one more to the left of it. It will yield a 1/8th of what I usually harvest, but it will also be 1/4th the amount of work involved. Mostly bell peppers, a few tomatoes, and some banana peppers for salads. The next bed will most likely be nothing but lettuce. Still have to put down bark or mulch to keep the weeds down.
    DSC_0007.jpg

Forestree, Lichen, Guy and 3 others like this.
  23. hughhaff

hughhaff Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've gotten the new compost barrel built, a new raised garden bed built, & we've gotten the two gardens tilled (a 12x12 & a 20x20). The plan for today is to do a lot of planting, get as much of the garden in as we can. Oh, we've also built a pair of water barrels to capture water from the sump pump. We have an 88 gallon capacity which is easily filled by the sump pump in less than half an hour.

Forestree, Guy, JohnP and 2 others like this.
  24. A Seedy Lot

A Seedy Lot Scout

Blog Posts:
    20180521_121932.jpg
    Resource run today. I had plenty of other tasks to accomplish but a friend wanted to know if I wanted sod he removed from his yard. No brainer for me, the top soil was trucked in from a region of the valley that is know for some of the highest quality soils in the country and it it full of roots, grass, and worms. Felt like work loading around 3500 pounds of soil by hand, and I have not even started unloading.

Forestree, Guy, JohnP and 2 others like this.
  25. A Seedy Lot

A Seedy Lot Scout

Blog Posts:
    20180521_142930.jpg
    One more load to get. Lots of work but worth it. Once the life in the soil decomposes it will be time to grow micro greens and I will have the perfect substrate to grow them on.

Forestree, Dadio, Guy and 1 other person like this.
  26. A Seedy Lot

A Seedy Lot Scout

Blog Posts:
    Take two on sod loads. This time a got a little help from the kids.
    20180524_180141.jpg

20180524_184410.jpg

27. Unistat76

Unistat76 Nerd Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Not much of a homestead but we got our garden in on Wednesday.

20180523_204852.jpg

That's a potato box in the back next to the wife and kids. So far, it's doing great.

JohnP and RavenLoon like this.