Daily doings at your homestead

Discussion in 'Homesteading' started by Forestree, Apr 12, 2015.

1. A Seedy Lot

A Seedy Lot Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My favorite time of year for free organic matter for the farm, leaf bags. These bags are all maple and birch which are both great dynamic accumulator so full of all kinds of good nutrients.

The kids unloaded the truck and had a great time doing it, always a bonus.

20181021_174137.jpg

2. Syntria

Syntria Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Chopped down a small pecan tree. (I have three 50 year old ones around it). Wanted to clear this space for more garden beds. :)

2018-10-23 14.07.24.jpg 2018-10-23 14.03.43.jpg

3. Syntria

Blog Posts:

RavenLoon and Guy like this.
  4. SLaRoy

SLaRoy Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Loaded up the corn crib yesterday and pulled out my favorite rusty corn knife to chop some pumpkins to feed the hogs.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

5. Syntria

Blog Posts:
    Just picked up 3 more chickens. I now have a total of 5. *_* Just drove a total of 3 hours to get them. A mix of breeds.

I'm still learning the breeds but this is what I was told I got.

Isbar/Sicilian Buttercup
    Bearer Solid Black Green Sheen
    Maran Cross

2018-12-02 12.09.09.jpg

6. Dadio

Dadio Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Momio and I have been clearing fence for the last couple weekends. Last week I struggled with hog panels swallowed up by trees and dozens of saplings. Well, on Thursday I spotted a grinder and reciprocating saw that run on the same batteries as my drill, and picked them, two batteries and a one-hour charger up for a total of $75 out the door of the pawn shop. What a difference the right tools make! A pruning blade in the sawzall lets me cut those saplings below ground level and the grinder let me cut the fence out of the larger trees. I'll follow by carefully cutting the large trees down by chainsaw myself since I know where the wire is in those trunks.

There were a couple of plastic drain pipes that we cleaned up as well. One of those contained a bunch of walnuts and two very sneaky squirrels, who made Momio scream and me laugh.

IMG_20181201_093113_329.jpg IMG_20181201_093113_328.jpg IMG_20181201_091805.jpg IMG_20181202_120730_597.jpg

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
    RackinRay, TX-1948, Forestree and 4 others like this.
  7. Gary V

Gary V Scout

Blog Posts:
    Yesterday I started shoveling compost from the bin (the one on the right)

compost bin.jpg

and spreading it in the garden.
    garden.jpg

I worked on it again today and will take me another day or two to finish. I pick at it one cart load at a time to spare my old back lol.

I have a 3 bin setup and empty one each year. That way each bin cooks for 2 years before emptying and there's never any need to turn it. It comes out like beautiful, rich dark soil.

*edit*

We put everything in the bin on the left this year and all those things that look like sticks are tomato plants we pulled from the garden earlier this fall. This bin will sprout some tomatoes next year. We give any of those to the rabbits.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  8. Gary V

Gary V Scout

Blog Posts:
    Two new lambs born yesterday, Christmas Day. Nothing much cuter. You need to watch them closely for the first few days to be sure their getting the colostrum and milk because they can suffer from hypothermia quickly without it. I was up at 2am and 5am checking on them because it got down to 26 deg F last night. The sheep free range and shelter in a 3 sided building. The lambs are doing fine so far. I've got 3 more ewes, 2 I know are pregnant and one young one that I'm not sure about. Loving life on the homestead :)

I can't take good pics with my cheapo phone - sorry for the lack of quality
    lambs.jpg

RavenLoon, Forestree, Dadio and 4 others like this.
  9. Dadio

Blog Posts:
    Momio and I met with the contractor yesterday and staked out our new home. Should be complete late summer. We can hardly wait.

Today after church we ran out and sunk some wooden fence posts and attached some sections of wood framed cattle panels for the grapes and berries. We have been pulling out old cross fence every time we had a chance and have accumulated several sections of cattle panels, so keep your eye out for creative ways to use them! Or, better yet, shoot us some ideas!

IMG_20190402_065047.jpg

Our raised beds have spinach and lettuce coming up, and we planted a row of carrots as an experiment. Looking forward to the first harvest of the year in a month or so. Oh, and we picked some daffodils from along a fence line to brighten up our current home.

It’s going to be a busy year.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  10. logan-boone

logan-boone Scout

Blog Posts:
    Stormy Kromer full of eggs, a sure sign of spring. Chickens are stepping up production. 0325191211.jpg

11. RavenLoon

RavenLoon axology student Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Rabbits took a toll on the apple trees this year. Looks like I lost two three year old and two two year old trees.

DSC02751.JPG DSC02752.JPG DSC02753.JPG

12. Dadio

Blog Posts:
    Took the day off to get a break from the office and to try and get some things done at the property. I'll be so glad when the house is built and we are living there full time. Today I drove out intending to fix a fuel line on an old but reliable mower, only to find I needed a socket set to gain access to make the repair. Arrgh! So, on to task #2 - a plexiglass window on the old log cabin to keep the birds out - but the ladder I had out there was too short, even when I backed my truck next to the old cabin and put the ladder in the bed. Geez! Next - use the tractor to combine several small brush piles into one, out of the way brush pile. But... it's been raining so much and the fields are so soft that I really didn't want to rut them up and they absolutely would have been rutted.,

So, I went on to some lower priority tasks so the morning wasn't completely shot. Gave a serious pruning to an old white lilac bush (everyone who knows the family that had been on the property for decades says the lady loved flowers so we are trying to keep what is left out of respect and, well, because they are beautiful and add to the property), cut brush away from outbuildings, cut several low hanging branches off trees so that mowing would be easier, picked up trash (mainly half buried plastic round bale covers), drove a t-post and wired a support for a young apple tree, weeded the garden (radishes doing well, spinach doing well, no sign of the lettuce we planted, asparagus coming up nicely - should harvest some next year!). Not what I planned, but a useful morning in any case.

A couple pics:
    DSC_0075.JPG
    DSC_0068.JPG
    DSC_0066.JPG

Had a pretty but shy visitor. Looks well taken care of, but the nearest neighbor is a half mile away so I'm not sure what to think. He/she wanted nothing to do with me either way.
    DSC_0078.JPG

Thanks for reading!

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  13. KFF

KFF Guide

Blog Posts:
    Not my homestead, but doing night watch at a friends sheepfarm.
    It's lambing season, about 80 ewes, less than ten have popped so expecting a few by morning. Set of twins came within the first hour of my shift.

It's so nice, been years since I was last doing something useful on a farm.

Edit: 15hrs, six new lambs and off to bed.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    Forestree, Dadio, Guy and 2 others like this.
  14. BigHat

BigHat Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Worked on some rabbit shelter today...

Picked up free rabbit cages off of Craigslist, just needed a little TLC.

20190414_145703.jpg

Then it was on to the rabbit house...

20190414_164647.jpg

It's a simple frame lean to with vertical slats. Almost everything came free via Craigslist, just need to be patient and willing to drive somewhere to pick it up. And have a yard to stockpile stuff while waiting for enough to make a project.

Set up a ghetto stop block for the chop saw... Consistent sized vertical slats that way. When you have to cut almost 200 of them, an assembly line type setup spaces a lot of time...

20190414_145710.jpg

After cutting the slats were pre drilled for the screws... Made a simple jig for that...

20190414_145725.jpg

20190414_145720.jpg

The jig goes over the board and the pieces line it up to a corner, then you drill through the holes. Consistent hole location makes mounting them easier, and they look better too...

Thats all for the day. Not yet finished with the rabbit house, but it'll get there...

Forestree, logan-boone, KFF and 5 others like this.
  15. MommaJ

MommaJ Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Today has been a lazy day.

My Mom over the weekend picked and soaked the lilacs and then today I taught her how to turn it into lilac jelly.

I now have 1 dozen 8 oz jars and 2 dozen 4 oz jars.
    FB_IMG_1556559623762.jpg FB_IMG_1556559628806.jpg

16. logan-boone

logan-boone Scout

Blog Posts:
    We were away for a long weekend, the chickens were working overtime apparently. We have one broody hen that was sitting on egg mountain, cussing me out as I collected them. 0515191157.jpg

RavenLoon, Forestree, Guy and 2 others like this.
  17. Bushcraft-kelso

Bushcraft-kelso Am are Hobbyist Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Hung out with these toons today!
    20190519_180551.jpg

Guy, RavenLoon and Jonah L. Archer like this.