Daniel Boone National Forest

Discussion in 'Outings, Trips & Expeditions' started by Andy 315, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Andy 315

Andy 315 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Wife and I are going to be in the Louisville area at the end of the month. She has a rock concert and I plan to look at rocks. Have a couple of free days while she is at her festival and I am heading to DBNF. What are must sees? Thanks.

Andy

RavenLoon, Crusher0032 and Broke like this.
  2. kreate

kreate Guide

Blog Posts:
    From Louisville I would recommend heading over to Red River Gorge. It's probably going to be the best bang for your buck if your on a limited time schedule. Lots of resources out there for where to go in the Red. Just depends on what you want to see. I would recommend checking out Greys Arch and Double Arch. They are both off of Tunnel Ridge Road and can be seen by doing a short hike or incorporated into a longer all day kind of loop. PM me and we can see about getting you a copy of a copy of a map with a couple of route recommendations depending on what your looking to do.

3. Andy 315

Blog Posts:
    Thanks will do. Probably have 4-6 hrs at least 2 days. I know it's a couple of hours from Louisville.

4. TWill

TWill Guide

Blog Posts:
    Just for curiosity, what rocks are you going to look at in and around Louisville? There's the limestone fossil beds of the Falls of the Ohio park which you get to over from downtown on the IN side. UnderLouisville gives you another look at the same limestone formation on the underground quarries that wind down under the airport and areas out by Poplar Level Rd/Watterson Expy and Preston Hwy and the shale hills out between Shively and Valley Station and Okolona. I have found obsidian on some of them where there was exposed and eroded washes. Not a lot of it out there but we once in a while found it when I was a kid. You might still find a geode in the small valleys and draws between hills if you go out to Otter Creek Park out near Fort Knox. Anyway, no pointers on DBNF...that was a long way to hike as a kid and my family wasn't into camping and hiking trips so I had to make do with things around town there that I could ride a bike or hike to.

5. Andy 315

Blog Posts:
    I meant the big rocks at Boone. It's been a long time since I've been in the Louisville area myself and don't recall much. Thanks for a couple of ideas though.

TWill likes this.
  6. Craig Brown

Craig Brown Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Pulpit rock
    Rock bridge Arch
    There’s Natural Bridge State Park which you can hike to the top ( 1 hr or so) or pay and take a tram to see the Arch. On the federal side there’s a map you can pick up at tourist center in Slate that shows probably 15 to 20 arches you can drive to the trailhead and park. Most steep trails but short. 23D80F69-E6CC-49F7-9BEB-021C75BEA714.jpeg E5B921EC-0642-47EC-A615-55C883A4DB83.jpeg

ozarkbushman likes this.