Danner boots?

Discussion in 'Clothing' started by JAY, May 21, 2018.

1. JAY

JAY Guide

Blog Posts:
    I am looking at a pair of Danner sharptail snake boots, Can't find them in stock anywhere around my area, so think I will need to buy them online from them direct. I wear rocky boots now and hope they size comparatively with danner, They say that they have a good return policy, hope this is true, as i have had bad experience with returns at some places. I hate camo boots, and like the brown leather. reviews, such as they are sound good. kind of scary as the price is up there. guess I am looking for opinions, and advise.

DavidJAFO likes this.
  2. ezra45

ezra45 Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I have 4 pair of Danners. I bought the wide in my size and they fit like gloves. High quality and great workmanship. Have never had to return anything to them, hough. I hear they are stand-up when it comes to a problem.

ezra

wisconsinwalter, actichy and JAY like this.
  3. saxonaxe

saxonaxe Scout

Blog Posts:
    " I am looking for opinions,"

That's an easy answer from me..Danner boots in my experience are absolutely excellent. I was issued with these boots over 20 years ago, they did a couple of years hard time before I retired and like me, have since had an easy life..:D
    I wear them in the winter, they have been re soled and heeled so many times I've lost count. I use a polish called 'Leder-Gris' on them and unbelievably they are still waterproof, at least to nearly ankle depth. The stitching is still perfect, so if Danner have maintained their manufacturing standards since the mid '90's then although not inexpensive their boots are good value, in my opinion.
    [​IMG]

Skruffy, HP500, bosque bob and 6 others like this.
  4. gila_dog

gila_dog Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've had several pairs of Danner boots and used to love them. They fit well and were well made. But the last 2 pairs I had really disappointed me. They glued most of the sole on, but there was a spot just aft of the toe where they stitched it on. On both pairs of boots the stitching rotted out after about 6 months of duty, and the rest of the boot and its sole were still in great shape. I don't know why they did that, maybe for stylishness, or maybe for better flexibility at that point. But I'm done with Danner.

wisconsinwalter, Lichen and JAY like this.
  5. DavidJAFO

DavidJAFO Guide

Blog Posts:
    "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are."
    hello,
    SNAP Danner Acadia I was issued with these & were the 2nd best pair of boots I ever had, to my issue Scarpa Attack mountaineering boots (Arctic Warfare CADRE/BFPO use). Deffo I too recommend Leder Gris boot polish. I've saved the boot polish tins for FSK's & GAW a few to BCUSA forum members. :)
    Regards
    David

wisconsinwalter, foxfire and JAY like this.
  6. JAY

JAY Guide

Blog Posts:
    Also trying to decide between the pronghorn, and the sharptail, from the pics, the pronghorn looks to be better built, but like the style of the sharptail. LOL, decisions, decisions.

wisconsinwalter and DavidJAFO like this.
  7. DavidJAFO

DavidJAFO Guide

Blog Posts:
    "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are."
    hello,
    BOTH :D
    Regards
    David

wisconsinwalter and JAY like this.
  8. FreudianSlip

FreudianSlip Guide

Blog Posts:
    I use Danner Pronghorns for backpacking and hiking I really like them. Comfy and durable

9. wisconsinwalter

wisconsinwalter Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    image.jpg I love my Danners! I get mine always in Wide. Stick with Recraft able soles and they should last for years.

Skruffy, Timex, bosque bob and 2 others like this.
  10. Lichen

Lichen Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Although more expensive, the Danners will be a giant step up from the Rockys.

wisconsinwalter likes this.
  11. quietmike

quietmike Hardwoodsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Danner started outsourcing some of their boots a while back and the quality suffered.

Generally the boots with stitched soles are still made here and still very good quality.

I wore the same pair of Danner Pendletons for 10 years as a deputy. I'm on my second pair of mountain light hikers in 14 years.

They are expensive, but the stitch down boots can be sent back to danner after a while to be reconditioned.

Buy them and you won't be disappointed. On the off chance you are, they have an excellent return policy.

12. JAY

JAY Guide

Blog Posts:
    neither of their snake boots are recraftable, according to their info., not sure if I like that.

wisconsinwalter likes this.
  13. Redbearcat7

Redbearcat7 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I’ve worn Rockys’ pro hunter hunting boots for twenty years, same pair. I have several other pair including lite weight and their snake boots. A couple pair of Danner for pheasant hunting. They are very comparable to the Rocky boots for wear and have fashionable leather.
    Rockys’ return policy is very good. Returned one pair due to some loose stitching. Of course I’m only about thirty miles from their headquarters.

14. FreudianSlip

FreudianSlip Guide

Blog Posts:
  15. Ptpalpha

Ptpalpha Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I've been wearing Danners for over 30 years, and actually still own that first pair: all leather Goretex lined with the then cutting edge "Air-bob" sole. They're retired, but only because my feet grew another 1/2 size in the interim.
    Currently rotate between two pair, each of which have been resoled once.
    Taken care of, they'll literally last decades, and I'm talking about year round use on commercial construction sites.
    My Super Rainforest's are 12 years old, and I'll be wearing them to work today.
    I have to add, however, that I won't be getting any resoled again. The cost is too high, in my opinion. It's $200 for a complete service on Goretex models, and since that's roughly 2/3 the cost of a new pair I'll just get a new pair.
    The made-in-Oregon boots are top shelf, and Danner is a stand up company. I have no experience with the models made overseas, and it's my understanding that Danner has moved all production back to Oregon recently (which is cool).

Buckhenry, JAY and wisconsinwalter like this.
  16. Tye

Tye Scout

Blog Posts:
    Danner's are the way to go I have probably 5 pair total in various states of wear. Danger has a great repair and refurbish program too. I too always get the wide in my size but that's because a good friend says I have caveman feet.

17. Ptpalpha

Ptpalpha Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Danner, Asolo, Danner, all with Superfeet insoles.
    IMG_20180522_094419.jpg

castle22 likes this.
  18. Sandcut

Sandcut 3% Neanderthal Vendor

Blog Posts:
    I'm on my second pair of Pronghorns in the last four or so years. I wear them daily.
    I would love to have the Elk Hunters. I'm just too cheap.

JAY likes this.
  19. Stringer

Stringer Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Been some quality issues with the"China" models, USA made are still top shelf. Standup company, donate brand new boots every year to the men at PNW Teen Challenge every year.

JAY likes this.
  20. Pinelogcreek

Pinelogcreek Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I love my Danners, been in the same pair of brown explorers daily for more than a decade. I would give a few points of advice. Both models you mention cannot be recrafted, meaning the soles cannot be replaced. I have not had great luck with non recraftable models and they don’t have the same Danner wide footprint on the ground. This and the lace to toe style are what give the boots such incredible stability. Go to their website and make sure whatever you get is made in the USA it does make a difference. Lastly many feel they run narrow so read the reviews and make sure you know the return policy. Get the right pair and you will save money. Ten years of 100.00 boots each year would have been expensive compared to 220 and two sets of soles.

JAY likes this.
  21. JAY

JAY Guide

Blog Posts:
    Thank you for all your comments. After days of reading reviews on Danner snake boots, and other manufactures, I find that one has to be very lucky to find any snake boots that don't leak, including Danner. Also being non recraftible, and not made in USA, I decided that they weren't worth spending the extra 100.00. Other Danner boots I would definately buy, but not the snake.proof model. If they all have the great possibility of leaking then I will buy the cheaper. I have decided, and already ordered the Rocky Broadhead model, My regular hiking boots are Rocky brand and they have served me will. Again, thank you all.

EDIT--After talking with Danner on the phone, they confirmed that both selections of their snake boots are imported.

Last edited: May 26, 2018
    Pinelogcreek likes this.
  22. bosque bob

bosque bob Scout

Blog Posts:
    Already a lot of good advice with resoling and being USA made maybe the most important, at least IMO. I've had no complaints about my Danners over the years but I can say the same about Redwing and Chippewa. All with the same caveats, of course and they're all in the "buy once cry once" range. Only reason to buy new ones has been changes in foot size.

23. ArkansasFan

ArkansasFan Scout

Blog Posts:
    I wore Danner Striker boots when I was a park ranger and police officer. They were GoreTex, all leather, side zip boots, but the quality looks to have reduced on newer models. It's been 10 years or more since I last bought a pair.

The Danner hiking boots are definitely something I'd like to try, but I've read many reviews that the leather is too soft and easily cut and punctured.

24. HP500

HP500 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm on my second pair of Danner Ft Lewis boots. The first pair lasted over 20 years before they sprung a leak. I still wear them in dry conditions.

25. HP500

HP500 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Fort Lewis boots?

26. saxonaxe

saxonaxe Scout

Blog Posts:
    " Fort Lewis boots? "
    No, @ HP500. A person from Fort Benning USA was on a exchange/ideas visit with my unit, and at the time we were trialling different boots for our own use. He recommended Danner. As a result my boots, Danner 'Loggers,' after comparison with other similar boots, became our issued boot of choice. :dblthumb:

HP500 likes this.
  27. The Pan

The Pan Ironwood Lover Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    My Danner are the mountain light version. Originally designed in 1979 this is their Vintage boot. I opted for fully re-craftable.
    I changed the original laces, and lacing this particular dude is a little different than normal to tighten up the ankle portion at the top. I love these boots since they're broken now. Superfeet insoles. These will last the rest of my life.
    And their customer service is excellent. My opinion is use the filters When selecting your boots and choose made in USA... 15307075471692063830255474361446.jpg

Skruffy, Timex and Buckhenry like this.
  28. cbrianroll

cbrianroll Professional Tinkerer

Blog Posts:
    Mtn light2 I think these are called...my absolute favorites. 2nd pair I've had in 26years, tossed the first pair after a cat peed on them, could not get that smell out.
    20180704_060545.jpg

Buckhenry likes this.
  29. The Pan

Blog Posts:
    ...........:34:.....:11:... new opinion, cat pee is not good for your boots.
    That is the mountain light II with the original Green laces. Mine came with original yellow laces that were too slippery and those Chrome eyelets. Tightening down the laces in these boots is a little tricky.
    So if you do by this boot, it's my opinion to use the lacing method below if you decide you're having trouble making the boot tighten up around your ankle. With this method you can tighten it around your ankle as much as you like to keep out snow and such. 20180704_085446.jpg 20180704_085928.jpg :57:.....:42:......:42:.....:42:...

Timex and Buckhenry like this.
  30. DPris

DPris Guide

Blog Posts:
    USMC Danner RAT GTX any good?
    Denis

31. DPris

DPris Guide

Blog Posts:
    Well.....HOPE they are.
    Half-price sale on 'em at the Danner site, discontinued model.
    I just ordered a pair. :)

Thanks for the thread, got me looking & found that price, could not pass it up.
    US-made, rebuildable.
    Free ground shipping, even.
    $300 boots for $149.99 delivered, tax included.

The Danner suede combats I've had for about 10 years now are Chinese & not rebuildable.
    Still running fine, but I do like re-buildable.
    Denis

32. Pinelogcreek

Pinelogcreek Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Let us know what you think when they show up

33. DPris

DPris Guide

Blog Posts:
    Unfortunately I think they don't fit, going back.
    I'll have to pass.
    Denis

34. Leshy_apprentice

Leshy_apprentice Scout

Blog Posts:
    Look at if you can buy them online through Cabela's or a retailer like that. They can usually ship to the store for free. Try them on and if the size isn't right they'll process an exchange for the next size up or down.

I picked up a pair of danners hunting boots on a deep discount from Cabela's bargain cave. Good quality.

Timex likes this.
  35. Timex

Timex Scout

Blog Posts:
    As long as they fit, the Danners on the re-buildable last have worked for me. These days, I go for the wide vs. the regular so I can use a quality footbed/insert. Use a quality cobbler to resole your boots or send them to Danner. I had a pair of Ft. Lewis boots for 16 years, 3 re-soles. These are my current Danners-Rainforest and Grouse Hunter. The Rainforests are at least 15 years old, but I don't wear them every day. The Grouse hunters are new. Found them on sale at Lion Country Supply.
    I have used my Danners for home owner woodcutting (not logging), heavy yard work, work (law enforcement, Iraq/Afgh stuff) and hunting. For the real heavy stuff-logging, wildland firefighting, ranching I would consider a pair of the handmade boots Nicks, Whites, WESCO-there are a few others I can't recall. If a quality boot doesn't fit, even if they are free, don't wear them. IMG_0593.JPG Old Gear 001.JPG

The Pan likes this.
  36. Outdoornut18

Outdoornut18 Cypress Creek Knives Vendor

Blog Posts:
    I love my sharptail boots. I have about 2 year of hard use on mine. I've put them through everything from wet wading rivers to climbing up talus piles while on geology excursions. The stitching on the toes of booth boots has been abraided away, but a little bit of shoe goo has kept the leather in place. I have honestly beat these boots to hell, but they are still comfortable and waterproof. I just purchased a second pair to replace my current pair, but I realized that these boots still have a lot of life left in them, despite how they look.

37. wolffire99

wolffire99 Scout

Blog Posts:
    We are issued Danner Acadia's at work. They are built like a tank but are heavy and have no insole. Most guys get them a size bigger and add a superfeet insole to get some support. The second most popular boot is the Rocky S2V. They are a good compromise of weight and durability.

Timex likes this.
  38. The Pan

Blog Posts:
    @Timex what backpack is that in the above photograph please?

I've got that same Western fixed blade too...:)

Timex likes this.
  39. Simplejack

Simplejack Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I like American made danners and whites boots.

40. Timex

Timex Scout

Blog Posts:
    SPEC OPS Brand T.H.E. Pack. I recommend it. Now on duty with my son. That is a pack that needs to stay deployed. I have had the Western since I was about 10 (50 years). That photo was posted in "Old Gear." Cheers

41. DPris

DPris Guide

Blog Posts:
    Returning the RATs today, full refund.
    Considering taking that refund, adding a Cabela's gift card we've got, and driving there for boots I can try on.
    Looking at the Sharptails, but they don't have anything wider than medium.
    Dunno if that'll work.
    Denis