Darn it was hot today!

Discussion in 'Louisiana' started by swamprat, Aug 7, 2013.

1. swamprat

swamprat Guide

Blog Posts:
    I managed to bury my ATV up to the belly pan while working today and had to walk out. It was 4.7 miles back to my truck in 95 degree heat. Not wanting to carry my water bottle since it did not have a way to hook it to my belt, I drank about a half liter of water and walked out. This was a mistake because it was too hot to walk that far in the heat without water. Luckily I had a liter of warm water back at the truck and it sure tasted good. I was able to get within a mile of the ATV pulling my trailer, but had to unhook so I could drive down a rough, narrow levee to reach the wheeler. I used the winch on my truck to pull out the ATV then drove back and hooked up to the trailer. Then I walked the mile back to the wheeler and drove it back and loaded up. The thermometer showed 99 degrees when I got back in the truck. I think I will start carrying a few nylon quick ties in the bag with my water bottle so I can hook it to my belt if needed. Other than getting a little to hot walking out the only real damage was a blister on my left big toe. So live and learn.

2. Naturalist

Naturalist Guide

Blog Posts:
    Good you made the walk without dropping. Good idea to pack light for a hike, you never know when (or how far back) the machine may be when it decides to give up the ghost.

3. swamprat

swamprat Guide

Blog Posts:
    I usually carry more water, but I had already drank 1 water bottle and didn't think to carry more. I have 4 Nalgenes and a Klean Kanteen ready for tomorrow.

4. KajunKat

KajunKat Guide

Blog Posts:
    Glad you made it out okay. The heat this year is no joke.

5. 9dawgs

9dawgs Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Yea, it's really bad when you realize your water -vs- hike ratio is off. Glad the heat didn't get you. The older I get the smarter I get when it comes to this. Some folks may say I'm just getting soft but I think its wisdom. :4:

One trick I've learned is if I'm going to be out in the heat for an extended time I'll take a small bath towel with me to soak in whatever water source I can find and then throw it around my neck and tuck it into my shirt collar. It keeps you cooler than you would think. Also I've done this same thing but put it under my hat and drape it down my neck. Works really good.

6. rugersworld

rugersworld Scout

Blog Posts:
    Dont forget that you make bad decisions when you are hot and thirsty. If you had a paracord braclet, you could have tied the bottle to your belt.