Darwin on the Trail in the Sierras, shows how hard work it is!!

Discussion in 'Backpacking' started by CaliforniaCanuck, Aug 9, 2018.

1. CaliforniaCanuck

CaliforniaCanuck Guide

Blog Posts:
    This is backpacking!

It's hard to describe to someone that hasn't done it how hard a 1,100 ft elev gain is to hike but these trails are full of this type of elevation gain and the downhill is just as hard. Actually I find a certain downhill slope harder, it's that degree that's not steep enough to be steps but steep enough that your forward footing needs to be solid otherwise it could get sketchy!!

Anyway, right around 5 min mark Darwin describes how hard hiking the sierras are, then a bit later he postholes and does a faceplant into the snow.

I don't care for distance hiking, I like hiking to a spot that I can spend a couple nights, catch some fish, and cook them over the fire. Yes, over the fire, there are times of year and areas along the trail that are legal for fires. Get your fire permit and contact the ranger station for specific locations and let them know you're out there.

Enjoy Darwin's video!

2. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Guide

Blog Posts:
    I've been following his PCT hike, Dixie's CDT, and E-Wolf and Handstands AT hikes this year. Darwin's broken two trekking poles this year. Makes me feel better about the one I bent on my last hike. 1,100' is pretty common even on easier hikes here on the east coast. It depends on the distance that it's spread over and the terrain it's on. Like the bolder field that was part of the 1800' decent on my last trip. Most folks complained about that, it was the 500 switchbacks leading up to it that killed my knee. That's why I'm doing some training to strengthen up my knees.

[​IMG]Three Ridges Loop Overnighter by MJGEGB, on Flickr

BigHat, UAHiker and Ptpalpha like this.
  3. tonyg

tonyg Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Yepp, Darwin and Jessica (Dixie) are 2 of ...well quite a few other major thru hikers I follow. For inspiration to get out plus gleaming information about what equipment works , longevity of equipment and different types of food.

heyduff and UAHiker like this.
  4. RiceOnSuede

RiceOnSuede Scout

Blog Posts:
    Ive been watching that IBTAT guy. Hes hilarious.