Spent Saturday in the woods with the boy and my dad. We went up to the deer camp to check on things and see what needs to be done this fall. Got that done quickly and then headed to the campsite. Did some fire building and some exploring. Everything was just how we left it. Worked on single stick fire build with natural tender. We found some birch bark to use. It was really dry and old. Didn't peel apart real well. Wanted to crumble instead. Used the Mora Craftline to process a piece of Maple. Set up the bark against my backer and tried to light it with the Ferro. Really hard to light. It didn't have good fibers, just crumbled up instead of peeling. I tried for a food while with no luck. Finally got an ember and I think it was blind luck. It caught though.... We poked at it with a few sticks for a bit and then let it burn out and headed out to do some exploring.