1. Due to the amount of SPAM from foreign countries lately, we have made the decision to manually approve all new members. While we regret that this must be done and the added time that it will take for new members to be approved, it is necessary at this time. We hope to have legitimate new members approved in a timely manner, no longer than a couple of hours. If the Administrators are online at the time, it can be as soon as a couple of minutes. Thank you for your patience.
    Dismiss Notice

Deer Hunting Cover Scent

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Gathering' started by TNCanoer, Sep 12, 2017.

1. TNCanoer

TNCanoer Scout

Blog Posts:
    Although I have never done this I have been reading where hunters use anise oil and vanilla extract as cover scents. Anyone ever tried it? Thought I would give it a try this muzzleloader and rifle season.

SmilinJoe and Winterhorse like this.
  2. Crusher0032

Crusher0032 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Haven't used those scents, but I've had good luck throwing my clothes in a trashbag with pine needles for a couple weeks before hand, and then boiling needles and using the tea (uses lots of needles) in a spray bottle for cover scent through the season.

3. Birdman

Birdman Guide

Blog Posts:
    This is what I do as well.

4. Sharpdogs

Sharpdogs Scout

Blog Posts:
    I store my clothes in a trash bag placed in a garbage can full of corn. I don't stress too much about scent.

freebirdfb, SmilinJoe and Winterhorse like this.
  5. FarmerJohn

FarmerJohn Scout

Blog Posts:
    the wind is your friend bro. you can buy the best cammo and scents and if you don't use the wind they will know your there before you know about them.

SmilinJoe, RobOz, ozarkhunter and 4 others like this.
  6. 556mp

556mp Bushmaster Vendor Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I just leave my hunting cloths outside, and spray myself with that no scent stuff before I go out, although I see just as many no matter if I use it or not. I would imagine if you are trying to hammer an old smart buck it may be a different story, but for putting meat in the freezer I don't go crazy. Perhaps a heavily hunted public land would benefit from more attention to cover scent.

7. Gii shi kan dug

Gii shi kan dug Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    1st day I do the whole prep. 2nd -8th it is usually stale beer and cigar smoke. I find it better to use the wind in your favor.

SmilinJoe, NattyBo, svh and 3 others like this.
  8. Danno

Danno Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I air out clothes and then bag them like the others above with pine boughs or fallen hardwood leaves. My line of thinking is it would be better to have a natural/neutral scent than smelling like a cake. I also dig up some fresh dirt in my blind. Since I hunt from a blind I have no control over wind direction, so I don't worry about it.

9. Back Off

Back Off Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Up until last year I bow hunted a lot and without question the best cover scent I ever used was Nose Jammer. I too do what I can to keep my clothes smelling natural. I have had so many bucks come in down wind and not smell me. I had a dandy walk right by my steps and not even bothered minutes after I got up there. Too bad I punched my tag the day before because it was a very nice 8 pointer. I spray it on my pop up blind and have deer walk right by it. It is one thing I now refuse to go into the woods without while deer hunting. It just plain works as advertised and I cant say that about the scent free clothes or sprays. The only thing I know more effective are those Ozonic devises but I have herd they are very bad for your health and they cost a lot.

Winterhorse likes this.
  10. Haggis

Haggis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Be alert, move slowly, and stay downwind. If you see the deer first, you're ahead. If they can't see you move, you're ahead. If you haven't taken a bath or washed your clothes in a month of Sunday's, and you stay downwind, they can't smell you. Best of all, none of these time proven techniques cost any money,,,

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  11. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I've never surprised a deer that had the wind in its favor. If the wind was in my favor, being scentless wouldn't help.

My old uncle swore by wood smoke... said it didn't upset the deer at all, and it was easy to do.

I've heard of vanilla and anise being used not as cover scents, but as curiosity scents... deer being among the most curious of critters, they will sometimes follow a new scent to see what it is... buddy of mind said his wife always used anise during early bow season, to pull in a nice tender doe. I've tried it with no effect. Must be a woman thing. lol

SmilinJoe, Winterhorse and Haggis like this.
  12. wadragunov

wadragunov Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    i was speaking to a coworker about cover scents, the best cover scent he ever used for hunting was sassafras tea. He makes up a batch of tea adding nothing to it and puts it in a spray bottle. he would use vanilla to attract deer.

SmilinJoe and Haggis like this.
  13. TWill

TWill Guide

Blog Posts:
    What are some smells that are common where you hunt? Do cedar trees grow there? Then take a bunch of cedar bows and rub that into the clothes you hunt in. Are there a lot of farmsteads with cows in pasture? Cow manure on the boots will be normal to any deer in that area. Do people burn wood to heat with? Then woodsmoke all your gear. None of these are better than staying downwind of them. Lots of hunters sit with all the scent block potions and carbon neutralized gear then get busted with the wind giving them up for something that didn't have the right mojo. Another one might be chain smoking all day and smell like a sasquatch dipped in sardines but stays downwind and sees deer no problem.

SmilinJoe likes this.
  14. Back Off

Back Off Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Scent control for some is more challenging. When I hunt SE MN the wind just swirls in the low areas making playing the wind nearly impossible. Very similar to hunting the mountains. Wait a minute and the wind will change directions. I know I already mentioned Nose Jammer but I also had pretty good luck with my Thermocell and the fresh earth pads. Keeps the skeeters away and I also have had bucks come in from downwind. Sometimes, bucks just come in from where they want, when they want.

SmilinJoe likes this.
  15. Riverpirate

Riverpirate Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Having hunted a long time, I am of the opinion that nothing can hide your scent. The wind is the only thing that can help. The one thing I have found is CodeBlue Tarsal Gland. On many occasions I have had deer, both doe and buck, approach my ground blind from down wind. I just set the bottle open on the ground by my ground blind and close it when I leave. I am sure the deer still smell me but that scent just overtakes mine. I once had a dog chase a buck all morning around and near my stand. At one point the buck ran right by me, the dog soon following on his tail. As the dog passed my stand and got down wind, he circled back and came and stuck his nose right into the bottle then he turned back to follow the buck. I don't really use it as a cover scent but as an attractant. If you put it out, watch your down wind. They will sneak in on you.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    SmilinJoe and Back Off like this.
  16. A Seedy Lot

A Seedy Lot Scout

Blog Posts:
    I agree that if you keep the wind to your face you will see a lot more animals as well as smell them. Started practicing this technique after decades of hunting and i am amazed at how many more animals i see. Friend of mine is huge elk hunter and he has tried all the expensive scents. He said one time he was hunting early season elk in the Bob Marshall and was covered in the supposed latest and greatest scent cover. Slight breeze blowing away from him, he saw an elk approaching his calling spot and 2oo yards away the bull smelt the breeze and turned tail and ran.

SmilinJoe likes this.
  17. Swampdog

Swampdog Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I use fragrance free laundry soap to wash my hunting clothes, wear rubber boots and while walking to my stand I step in wild hog poop to use as a "natural cover scent."
    As others have said, I always pick a stand facing the direction the wind is blowing from.

SmilinJoe likes this.
  18. bumma

bumma LEAP...the net will appear Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I purchased some anise oil at a Trappers gathering last month. Much more potent than anything I've bought at a store.

I'll use it only when I'm sitting a stand. A couple drops on a cotton ball some distance away should do the trick.

SmilinJoe likes this.
  19. Meat Hunter

Meat Hunter Scout

Blog Posts:
    Nothing will eliminate your scent. Unless you are in a sealed up bag or something lol.
    Seriously, you need to look at it like this.
    You are stepping into the deers living room when you go out on stand. Its his. He knows every inch of it. His environment doesnt change a whole lot. When you introduce a "foreign" odor/scent, he knows it and is on alert.
    Imagine if you were deep in the woods, and all of a sudden, you smelled that wonderful smell of burgers being flame broiled that we've all smelled coming out of the vents at a fast food restaurant. You'd be like, hmmmm, thats odd. But, if you if got a whiff of ole mr. skunk, you wouldn't think twice about it.
    You can mask you scent with things that occur naturally like skunk spray or fox urine. There are curiosity scents out there, but then again, you are putting a deer on alert. Hunting in or near a cow pasture, like I do, I will step in one of them patties and that odor goes with me to my stand. You best option is to use the wind. Think of every action you take that gets you to your hunting stand. Months/years of odors accumulating on car seats, your steering wheel, what are you sitting on while getting dressed. All those little things come into play. When you minimize those, you maximize your chances of a successful hunt.

Air drying your clothes outside many many days prior to going out helps for sure. For long term storage, my clothes get put away with pine clippings.

SmilinJoe likes this.
  20. FarmerJohn

FarmerJohn Scout

Blog Posts:
    one thing I have never understood. is hunting from a tree stand or blind.

21. Swampstalker

Swampstalker Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    :DTide and pet dander

Blackhawk45hunter likes this.
  22. RobOz

RobOz Scout

Blog Posts:
    I use Old Spice and Tree Bark camo..killed a few deer with this combo, too. The wind thing is nothing but nonsense.

Seacapt. likes this.
  23. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    Made the mistake of wearing doe in heat sent and had a mountain lion jump on the trial just a few feet in front of me. Not cool.

LongChinJon likes this.
  24. freebirdfb

freebirdfb Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have used cover scents in the past. Hanging your hunting cloths near a camp fire and smoking them for a couple of days and use the pine needle tea would work just as well. Playing the wind if possible along with a well made ground blind and minimizing movement is also important.

25. Hillbilly stalker

Hillbilly stalker Tracker

Blog Posts:
    The wind is your friend ........yet your greatest foe. Use it :42:

26. Seacapt.

Seacapt. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Up here in Maine the natives don't pay much attention to scents and wind since the deer population is quite use to all human and mechanical odors, sounds and activities. The number one deer attractor is the chain saw and the great debate is if it's the sound, exhaust fume odor or general activity that draws them to the tree line surrounding any type of small or large cutting operation.

rkcolt45 likes this.
  27. rkcolt45

rkcolt45 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    The best scent is no scent. Since that's almost impossible I just wear clean clothes that I keep in a cedar chest. Before walking to my deer stand, I usually rub the bottom of my boots on a pine tree. Not sure how much it helps but an old trapper advised it. Trapping will teach you a lot about scent. It took me many years before I could consistently catch bobcats and coyotes.

Swampstalker likes this.
  28. tomme boy

tomme boy Scout

Blog Posts:
    My largest deer i ever shot was a 15 pt and scored 189 3/8" came while eating a piece of jerky and smoking a Marlboro light cigarette. He walked right past me at 15 yds and the wind was blowing at my back right to him.

I have found that things that go on around the areas you hunt can make it easy to fool them. My case it was the farmers in the area all smoked.

Throwsstones and Seacapt. like this.
  29. .356luger

.356luger Scout

Blog Posts:
    This seems to come up every year which is fantastic meaning the budget hunter/next gen is working towards putting meat on the table.

Probably 10 to 15 years ago I read an article, out of field and stream, about making cover scent. It covered wind direction etc and outlined making coverscent at home they said boil naturally occurring plants and bottle it.

I've often wondered about the vanilla as a curiosity scent but leaving clothes out in the rain, sun, and wind always seemed to solve most of my problems.

30. .356luger

.356luger Scout

Blog Posts:
    This seems to come up every year which is fantastic meaning the budget hunter/next gen is working towards putting meat on the table.

Probably 10 to 15 years ago I read an article, out of field and stream, about making cover scent. It covered wind direction etc and outlined making coverscent at home they said boil naturally occurring plants and bottle it.

I've often wondered about the vanilla as a curiosity scent but leaving clothes out in the rain, sun, and wind always seemed to solve most of my problems.

31. ozarkbushman

ozarkbushman Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Woodsmoke is all you need. It has always worked for me. Save your money.

32. Hook

Hook Scout

Blog Posts:
    I used to store my camo in a Rubbermaid tub, and throw in a couple of those fresh earth wafers from hunters specialties. End of season I wash in scent free detergent and toss back in the tub.