Delton, MI to Healy, AK this summer

Discussion in 'Outings, Trips & Expeditions' started by Zac Swank, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Zac Swank

Zac Swank Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Hi, everyone!! The girlfriend and I are heading to Alaska this summer. We will be taking off from Delton, Mi. We will be working for a Denali Park Adventures. I'll be a Jeep guide driving people around in a Wrangler. We are taking our 2 door 2010 JK to Alaska. It'll be a journey! I am thinking about mounting jerry cans to the tire carrier. I have picked up a CB radio for the Jeep and got it installed into the Jeep already and it works great! We got a table built into the tailgate as well. I've been slowly doing tune ups and getting the Jeep ready. All I worried about it the long drive! It'll be fun!! If anybody has any information or tips on the trip let me know. The picture below is from Drummond Island, Mi.

Attached Files:

2. BalsamFur

BalsamFur Not a duck Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Hey, neighbor! Welcome to the forum. Sounds like a great trip.

3. leatherstocking

leatherstocking Scout

Blog Posts:
    Right on! Enjoy your adventure. I used to party in Delton years ago at "Pete's bar" on the corner by the pizza place. Is it still there? Pete DeMink was a good friend of mine, drank many beers there with Larry Bell from Bell's brewing out of K-zoo.
    Neat little town. Good luck to you.

4. longhunter

longhunter Northman Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I truly envy you……………………..

Zac Swank and fatcat55 like this.
  5. Zac Swank

Zac Swank Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Small world!! Pete's has been closed for years. My friend and I almost bought it, we were going to put a brewery in, but life happened. I'm from Delton, my dad owns the old Deltong Creamery building and had a machine shop there for years. He still owns the building. I am in WV now finishing up my degree in Wildlife and Fisheries.

longhunter likes this.
  6. AK Eric

AK Eric Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    We drove to Fairbanks from Idaho about 18 years ago. The highway drive was fun and long. Road was in pretty good shape. We drove through it without making too many stops. If you have the time, enjoy the views and make some stops. Biggest thing that saved our vehicle was buying and installing a temporary bug shield to cover the front end of the car/grill. A full windshield reservoir of some bug dissolving cleaner is an added bonus. We pulled the bug shield off when we got to Fairbanks. The entire thing was covered in bug life.
    Good luck on your adventure and job. Take lots of pics to look back on. I did not take that many along our drive and wish I had.

longhunter, Zac Swank and Bobsdock like this.
  7. Bobsdock

Bobsdock Still going Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Sounds great brother enjoy !

longhunter and Zac Swank like this.
  8. Zac Swank

Zac Swank Tracker

Blog Posts:
    On the way up we will be driving like mad. But coming back we are taking our time. We will hit the arctic circle and go along the national parks from the west back to the east. We will be gone for quite a while.

longhunter likes this.
  9. Zac Swank

Zac Swank Tracker

Blog Posts:
    It's still hard to believe that the girlfriend and I are going there for this long of an adventure.

longhunter likes this.
  10. Kart29

Kart29 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    My best childhood memories come from vacationing on Crooked Lake near Delton. Is Horn's Resort still on Crooked Lake?

Last time we vacationed there I drove my own car there and back because I had to leave early to get back to work. It was a `73 Gran Torino Sport, hardtop, fastback. The next winter my uncle died and my cousins and our families never went back there for vacation. Somehow I mark leaving Weaver's cottage in my own car to get back to work as the end of my childhood.

Who would think Delton, Michigan would make for a better vacation than Disney World? But it sure does.

Enjoy your adventures in Alaska!

If you have any pictures of Delton or Crooked Lake, I would love to see them.