Diabetes - staring me in the eyes!

Discussion in 'Bush Medicine' started by Mr. Tettnanger, Aug 16, 2014.

1. Stone

Stone Guide

Blog Posts:
    OK! Looks like my high readings were more a function of the bottom-of-the-barrel test strips than my blood sugar from what I can tell. Last three days morning readings are averaging back below 100.

Woods Walker and Mr. Tettnanger like this.
  2. Back Off

Back Off Scout

Blog Posts:
    Interesting. I take a couple of tablespoons every morning with hot water, butter, vinegar, ginger and turmeric. It is then followed up by bullet proof coffee which is again another couple of tablespoons of coconut oil. This easily gets me through to lunch every day so in a way, I pretty much fast from 6-7pm until noon the next day. I have been steadily able to loose some weight and understand apple cider vinegar is also helping as both my brother and mother are diabetic. So far I dont have any of the symptoms but I am overweight. I will have to look into that book for sure.

Mr. Tettnanger and Elwha like this.
  3. Afterburner

Afterburner Name: Jon - Ham Radio Callsign: KK6IQK Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I recently went on a carb-reduced eating plan and have lost twenty pounds in two months. The weight is steadily falling off and my Doctor is very happy with my weight loss and the positive effect on my pre-diabetes. I was told to change things or end up diabetic and I took action. It has become easy NOT to have breads or sugars and I'm loving the differences in how I feel. Well worth it and a friend of mine told me that "Nothing tastes as good as thin feels" and she was right ;>)

4. 1911srule

1911srule Scout

Blog Posts:
  5. grey mouse

grey mouse Scout

Blog Posts:
    Allow me to share my recent episode with a similar problem. I was tested at 6.4 A1C at 255lbs at 47yrs old. This follows my heart surgery almost five years prior. The doc told me that at 6.5 A1C she was going to diagnose me with type 2 diabetes and recommend insulin for life and advised me to loose weight and change my diet. I was stubborn for 2-3 weeks and hit 265lbs. One day I looked in the mirror and didn't like myself anymore. I bought a glucose meter and learned how and when to take the readings. At first I "judged" my meals as pass or fail when my postprandial readings were over 135 within four hours of eating. I was hitting 165+ no matter what I ate it seemed. That's when I had had enough and sat the meter down and walked away from it. We gave away our plates, bowls, saucers, etc and bought smaller sized items to replace them. Visually it's still a full plate but has less on it. I bought a new digital scale. I then started a very low carb and low sugar diet ( in addition to a low salt and low fat diet) that bordered on extreme (at least to me) since I was hooked on sugar, carbs, salt, etc. That was 8-10 weeks ago. Last weeks doctor visit she tested me again and I'm currently at 5.7 A1C and dropping (5.5 A1c is considered somewhat normal I believe). Today I weighed in at 222.2lbs (cool number I know) and dropping. I will be at 200 before the end of next month hopefully. She also noted a 70% increase in liver function from my last test which was starting to be concerning. I can not exercise regularly due to heart problems, improperly healed injuries (80% loss of movement in my left arm), and bad knees to name a few. Now that my weight is down I will slowly start exercising. I miss my sweat tea so much :( and coffee isn't the same. I only drink sugar free flavored water now (looking for that revolver :17:). I can't stand a soda past three sips and I used to drink 4-5 liters a day...every day (where were those bullets :54:). I really miss my homemade pasta and breads. I was baking fresh bread 3-4 times a week before (all six go in right o_O). I am miserable in a way (all joking aside) because I miss they way that I used to eat but I am happy at the same time because I am happy with that dead sexy fella in the mirror once again. I haven't weighed under 225lbs in twenty years. I'll happily take the middle ground versus where I was headed any day.

When you try to stop a habit such as smoking you will eat a lot and gain weight. Your body will exchange cravings on you. I stopped eating excessive salt and switched from table salt to celtic grey/himalayan pink salt. The reduced salt in my diet caused me to crave black pepper instead. Too much black pepper is bad for you btw lol. When I stopped the high sugar I craved vinegar heavily (natural glucose issue) and take fire cider every day. That has helped a lot although I prefer apple cider vinegar (acv) with ginger and honey personally. When I reduced the carbs I craved every carb on the planet and still do. I have to check the labels on everything BEFORE I buy it. If you buy it you will eat it. Never let it get into the cart lol. I substitute carbs with boiled peanuts (spicy as heck cajun style) and that tricks my body into thinking it's carbs when there are actually none. This is also how I level out my salt needs when I have a salt craving and I don't want any black pepper. My alternate carb substitute is very spicy foods and soups.

Thanks for reading and I hope this helps at least one person achieve their goal :4:

Tip: if it's in a can, bag, processed, or maybe pre-packaged it's high in sodium. Leave it at the store and make it fresh. For example, two small jars of alfredo sauce can be upwards of 16,000mg of sodium. Thats 4-6 servings of pasta with enough sodium for 10-11 adults if you follow the 1500mg /person/day recommendations for heart health. Learn to make it fresh with heavy cream or whole milk, unsalted butter, and parmesan reggianno and your in for a treat as well as a heck of a lot less sodium. Not to mention real fats versus the crap that is in the jars. Good food can taste better, be healthier overall, and be more satisfying if you try. Healthy isn't always something nasty if you use fresh ingredients, some skill, and moderation.

Last edited: May 27, 2018