Different style sheaths and when you use them - yes I'm bored!

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by CaliforniaCanuck, Jan 13, 2019.

1. CaliforniaCanuck

CaliforniaCanuck Guide

Blog Posts:
    The weather has me indoors and all my chores are done so you guys get one of my exciting/boring topics!

Reading recent threads I noticed that sheaths come up but it seems they are an afterthought and not the primary consideration when choosing I knife.

For me, the sheath or how the knife will be carried gets equal consideration when I'm choosing one knife over another.

Here are my basic sheath types, standard belt sheath, dangler, pouch style:
    [​IMG]

Here they are as they relate to how they are carried on the belt,
    [​IMG]
    Left to right: Master Hunter 3v in Jet Pilot sheath, Tops Tanimboca, Master Hunter 3v with guard removed.

My preferred location to carry them are:
    - Jet Pilot sheath - 3 o'clock
    - common pouch style sheath - 4 o'clock
    - dangler sheath - 9 o'clock

I found that I don't like to carry them in positions different that I noted. Keep reading and this will make sense!

The jet pilot sheath places the knife close to my body, rides high, takes one hand to draw the knife, and it has several inches of leather protecting me when I draw the knife.

The pouch style sheath rides close to the body, takes one hand to draw the knife, however, it takes the other hand to move the shirt out of the way, otherwise my shirt is at risk of getting sliced as a draw the knife. I should mention that I sewed the belt loop so my belt fits snugly and the sheath doesn't ride up when I draw the knife.

I generally do this for all my sheaths as I hate it when the sheath rides up when you draw the knife. Even my jet pilot sheath has cross stitching reducing the cuts to precisely fit my belt, and yes all my outdoors belts are the same width.

The dangler sheath rides very low normally below the bottom hem of my shirt or jacket, takes two hands to draw the knife, and is easy to access no matter what position my body is in such as sitting, kneeling, standing, etc. It rides away from my body and swings as I'm moving.

The dangler is my preferred sheath for when I'm camping or fishing, however, it's my least favorite if I'm carrying a long gun when hunting. I find it constantly bumps against my rifle or shotgun or my hand as I'm carrying the rifle. For this reason I don't carry it hunting! For everything else it's my favorite sheath. Sitting in a canoe, kneeling, etc., it's always there and not covered by my shirt or jacket.

Instead, I'll carry one of the other sheaths but they also have consideration.

If I'm carrying my revolver it's at 3 o'clock which means I'll choose a belt pouch to carry the knife at 4 o'clock.

If I'm hunting in a location that doesn't allow handguns of it I choose to not carry a handgun, I'll normally take the jet pilot sheath. I like this one because I have it set up with the paracord for extra secure carry.

The Tanimboca is a new knife to me but I have plenty of other knives with very similar sheaths and I generally don't choose them over the dangler or jet pilot type. I have cut a shirt when drawing the knife, and that shirt was tucked in.

I found I dislike it even more when I'm wearing a shirt untucked because I first have to move the shirt with my left hand and then carefully draw the knife with my right hand. Putting it back requires my free hand to move the shirt or jacket out of the way for my right hand to then carefully insert the knife.

So, what do you guys think about the different style sheaths?

Here's some glamour pics of the knives beside their sheaths. I specifically chopped the guard off the master hunter so I can carry it in a dangler sheath. It's one of my favorite knives.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  2. blue333

blue333 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    When I EDC a fixed blade (more days than a folder) I use these types below.
    The Diomedes leather sheath (1st. pic.) has a metal pocket clip on the other side.

My favorite of the x3 probably has to be the magnetic Sharpshooter sheath (2nd. pic).
    The retention is super good and it has a nice sleek profile. The quality is premium as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  3. 2jka

2jka Guide

Blog Posts:
    I seem to have settled on three setups for carrying my knives.
    1. Cross body, blade up, clipped into a waistband or under a belt, at about 10 o’clock.
    2. Dangler on a neck lanyard tucked into a pocket with the lanyard wrapped around something or just cliped to a beltloop on the strong side.
    3. Neck carry.

When winter camping i find myself neck carrying often, especially when its very cold or I’m very active like skiing. When layers come off and go back on constantly, having a knife tucked into the innermost shirt and sitting there waiting for me is really great. It’s one hand removal as well. Just reach in and grab the entire thing, extract it, and once the knife is out in the open pull it from the sheath. I really get why many northern indigenous peoples carry thay way. Makes allot of sense. Think Cody Lundine with his mora.
    As neck carrying doesn’t really care what you are wearing it also works well in the summer or around the house, but unfortunately with lighter clothing the weight becomes much more and that carry becomes less comfortable and therefore less common.

In the more temperate climates I’ll tuck into the weak side waistband. This requires a clip and a hard plastic sheath that gaurds the blade away from the boddy. I wouldn’t even consider anything else. Allot of horseman seem to favor this. It is by far the most accessible when driving or just sitting. If you clear the shirt first and then grab the knife it can also be done one handed. I carry my Esse 4 this way. Bigger knives than can be reasonably neck carried can also be worn this way, although they may end up under the belt or clipped the the outside of the waistband. Hides under clothes pretty well as well.

And last it the pocket/beltloop carry. This is my fixed blade edc. Again a dangler style sheath, these most often go in pocket. With smaller knives, the dissapear into the pockect safe from the dust and grime of my job that often includes crawling around in crap or climbing. Extraction for use is the same with neck carry. Since the knife is already on a neck lanyard, it can verry easy transition to neck carry for whenever that makes more sense.

As you can tell, most of my options tend to revolve around not needing a belt. This is important for me because I am not always wearing one. Both cycling and skiing (Xc, back country, or downhill) usually involves pants that don’t have belts or sometimes even pockets.
    All of my carry options conceal the knife to one degree or another. Not everyone, everywhere are really keen on my having a knife. Concealed under clothes, me and my knives tend to raise fewer eyebrows. They also tend to stay cleaner and are less likely to get tangled up in things that way, so no matter if it’s floor joists or tight bushes, i can relax knowing my knife isn’t going anywhere. The last 3 sheath that ive made were for smaller knives and they were all neck/dangler sheathes, if thst tells you anything.

78A7DA57-53FC-43FF-89A3-5D21E5449005.jpeg

4. Ptpalpha

Ptpalpha Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    My latest favorite are pancake leather sheaths with double belt loops which lock into place around the belt loop on my pants:
    IMG_20181217_222008.jpg IMG_20181216_165733.jpg

Retention is excellent due to the wet forming and a notch in the welt which indexes to the guard on the knife.

Schmittie, jayclimber, OrienM and 2 others like this.
  5. Youcantreadinthedark

Youcantreadinthedark Amphibian. Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Fixed blades ride in whatever pack I've got, more often than not. I'm a lefty, and I dislike having to take my whole belt off to slide a dangler loop on. My biggest criterion is - belt clip or no belt clip? (Finding the Skinth with a clip changed my life.) Barring that, a snap-dangler does fine. I'd love to get a low-profile kydex taco with a clip for my m3.
    No belt, rare though it is, means I'm either on the water or I've got a pack with a waist belt - knife is either a folder in a pocket or tucked in a PFD. Neck carry is nice around camp when you're often squatting or kneeling.

blue333 and 2jka like this.
  6. blue333

blue333 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    (2jka) Just reminded me to add that I also neck carry. Almost daily when at home I neck carry. I use paracord with x2 barrel clasps on the end, easy on/off.

Before I really got into ISP sheath carry, it was a neck cary knife all the time, even with a folder in the pocket.
    I've always been a fan of carrying a small fixed blade and probably will forever do so. It makes me feel better equipped to handle any chore/task that mat come up.
    The last time I really was glad I had a fixed blade rather than a folder in pocket was about x2 months ago. I helped a a woman on the side of the highway who had a flat.
    I carry a patch kit in my truck along with x2 cans of fix a flat (have oversized mud tires). I had to get the screw out in order to plug the hole and that's when I was glad I had a fixed blade to pick it out. No way would I trust a folder to be jamming in the tire. Anyhow, I picked out the screw with my knife (A Bark River Bravo edc). Reamed the hole ad plugged it up. Then I added x2 cans of fix a flat, which was just barely enough to get a safe amount of air in her tire (she only needed to go up another 1.5 miles to the next exit.

Sidenote: I feel really bad for the tire guy who had to change that tire. I am sure it was a gooey mess.

2jka likes this.
  7. Kyle363

Kyle363 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I normally prefer danglers. Most of my knives have sheaths with a removable dangler I prefer this method because I normally have a backpack with waist belt on or if I'm wearing a jacket I can still access my knife. I have two smaller blades that I just have a normal belt loop for and that's because I plan on using those as a secondary carry or when I'm just out with a haversack. I have one neck carry sheath and it can be convenient and bothersome to me so I don't normally use next carry. I recently received two horizontal carry sheaths one for a part time EDC and one for my AS Tradesman. I love this setup/concept for times when again I won't be carrying a pack or I'll be sitting in a canoe or kayak for most of the day.

8. OrienM

OrienM Guide

Blog Posts:
    I've had more danglers than any other style. My current big woods knife has a rigid PVC scabbard rigged on its own paracord belt; it rides much like a dangler, and pivots out of the way when I sit down. It's also quick to put on and take off, and can be worn outside of winter clothes, a poncho, or the like.

9. John Mastracchio

John Mastracchio Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I like a horizontal carry (either a cross or scout draw) when I'm in camp or on the trail.

Red Wing likes this.