1. Due to the amount of SPAM from foreign countries lately, we have made the decision to manually approve all new members. While we regret that this must be done and the added time that it will take for new members to be approved, it is necessary at this time. We hope to have legitimate new members approved in a timely manner, no longer than a couple of hours. If the Administrators are online at the time, it can be as soon as a couple of minutes. Thank you for your patience.
    Dismiss Notice

Digging tool?

Discussion in 'Other Tools' started by Plainsman, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Plainsman

Plainsman Scout

Blog Posts:
    We talk a lot about cutting wood and the tools required to do such, but how often do we have to move dirt or ashes, etc? It works best to have a tool for those chores. Hence, I've come up with some questions for a discussion.

How many of you actually carry a tool specifically for digging?
    What do you carry?
    Which digging tool would you recommend for regular duty alongside the knife, ax and saw in the kit?

2. Terasec

Terasec Scout

Blog Posts:
    Depends
    In winter short distance i will carry a small wooden handle shovel
    $10 at most stores does great job digging and straps easily to a pack
    Few weeks ago was scout camping and we were redoing the fire pit
    Someone had an etool and it was great
    Adjustable shovel head was convenient
    I like my shovel but if i needed another etool would be high on my list

3. Togus

Togus Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have one of those Cold Steel shovels that digs, cuts, and chops. Liteweight, compact, and easily conveyed. I bet a mil-surp E-tool would be just fine.

4. Forestree

Forestree Supporter Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I bring and use a shovel for every camping trip unless I'm backpacking a ways. Mainly use it for moving coals around the fire for cooking/dutch oven and to dig a poop hole. Also nice for stirring the ashes when putting the fire out. Most recently on the last canoe trip, it was used to dig down in the sand to bury stakes deeper down so they would hold. Have always thought about getting one of those cold steel shovels but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I've been happy with a cheap tractor supply shovel....about 2 feet long, super light and the D handle on the end is pretty handy too

[​IMG]Untitled by Tom Roo, on Flickr

5. Togus

Togus Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Winterhorse and Forestree like this.
  6. Terasec

Terasec Scout

Blog Posts:

Helps him find his dayglo yellow shovel :)

7. Forestree

Forestree Supporter Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Haha, thanks :D ! That was on there from the canoe trip last weekend to clip it in to the boat, but I think it looks cool on there and you never know when you might need to hook your canteen and knife to a shovel!

8. 1066vik

1066vik Guide

Blog Posts:
    I generally have a small folding hand spade for digging cat holes in my EDC bag or pack. (something like the u-digit)
    depending on the outing, I may have a CS shovel or mil-surp folder lashed to my pack for digging fire pits & such.

mjh, Winterhorse and Plainsman like this.
  9. OrienM

OrienM Guide

Blog Posts:
    Car camping, I bring along a small-sized shovel head for digging tasks...it's easy to whip up a handle for it in the field. Backpacking I just use a pointy stick.

Plainsman likes this.
  10. xrayit

xrayit Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Depends of what I think I may be digging and how light / fast I will be traveling keeping in mind that this is a packable application and not in the car or truck. HD digging I take my Glock E tool, have a Russian spade with wooden handle but prefer the e tool for backpacking. Backpacking medium duty, lighter pack I will go with the u-digit, nice well built made in USA and works well for Dakota holes. For ultra light packing with the need to dig cat holes and put out small fires I use a dutchware Ti deuce scoop. For car trunks and trucks my go to id the Lesche Ball Handle shovel, actually any Lesche is a good choice for car / truck applications.

11. Skeptiksks

Skeptiksks Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I too have one of those. When out and about it fits in the laptop sleeve of my 3 day bag. Really handy little shovels. I bought it after having one of those crappy folding piles of junk break on me while stuck in the snow. Purchased it as soon as I got home. Very sturdy and if I break the handle I can make a new one using the head lol

12. 66drifter

66drifter Scout

Blog Posts:
    i keep an AMES Army surplus (U.S. stamped ) tri-fold in the Jeep, truck & boat

edges are kept sharpened and they live in U.S. carrying pouches

so far so good

13. TRYKER

TRYKER Scout

Blog Posts:
    i carry one of those metal detecting diggers. a leache (sp)

14. isme

isme Guide

Blog Posts:
    Foothills of the Great Smoky mountains, Tn
    I just picked up a Glock E-tool
    Prior to that I carried a small
    Shovel head off an old metal handle take down shovel. I would just sharpen a stick for a handle. It fit behind the front pocket of my Alice pack. As a matter of fact, it's still there.

15. Plainsman

Plainsman Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have carried a variety of tools to dig with over the years. An old wooden handled E-Tool was the first, its still with me, but doesnt get packed anymore. I had one of those short D handled spades, but somebody else must have liked it too as it "walked away!" I have plastic Fiskars trowels in a couple of sizes and they are useful, just not great with hard earth or larger amounts of material. Lastly, I picked up a couple of steel knockoff "Udigits" but havent tried them out yet.

16. bobs1415

bobs1415 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts: