DIY winter shelters/hot tents and wood stoves

Discussion in 'Shelter' started by GreatLakesWoodsman, Oct 24, 2013.

1. GreatLakesWoodsman

GreatLakesWoodsman Scout

Blog Posts:
    LETS SEE YOUR DIY SETUPS!
    Im most likely going to be making a small hot tent out of 2 shelter halfs and im also looking to make a wood stove out of a small keg i found. but im looking for some inspiration, so if any of you have DIY winter shelters or wood stoves post some pics!!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
    rsnurkle likes this.
  2. L.V

L.V Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    My DIY one pole kota look a like tarpoon thingy ma pop. :p

[​IMG]

rsnurkle likes this.
  3. GreatLakesWoodsman

GreatLakesWoodsman Scout

Blog Posts:
    Nobody else has a DIY winter shelter or stove?

4. wilk84

wilk84 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have a stove, but I don't yet have a full on stove-compatible tent. I just use it with a 10x10 tarp.

rsnurkle likes this.
  5. Pablo

Pablo Guide

Blog Posts:
    Hey Great Lakes Woodsman! Glad to hear you're taking on this project. I don't have anything to show you (I have a Cabela's stove and a canvas pyramid tent). I don't like how insanely expensive "hot tents" and stoves are though. While I appreciate the workmanship and design of a Snowtrekker tent, the price of such gear makes this style of winter camping into a very elitist thing... If you don't have lots of $$, you can't play the game. (Again, no offense to Snowtrekker... they are exceptionally well-made and designed pieces of gear made in the U.S.... I have nothing but admiration for them... I just can't afford them!).

As far as ideas, take a look at two old resources: "Camping Out" by Warren H. Miller. and Camping and Woodcraft by Kephart. Both have ideas for DIY tents and (in Miller's case) stoves. I don't think what you're trying to achieve is at all rocket science... once you figure out the principles of what you're aiming for, and iron out the crafting end of things, you'll end up with a very functional setup.

Stay in touch. I'm very, very interested in seeing what you come up with.

6. sierra-trekker

sierra-trekker Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I haven't used it yet but a couple years ago I purchased a US military M1951 Yukon multifuel tent stove. It has an adapter that hooks up to a Jerry can to burn almost any type of oil or fuel or it can be used with wood. Its not a DIY stove but well worth the $100 bucks I bought it for.

Yellowbear79 likes this.
  7. cbo

cbo Guide

Blog Posts:
    Tent ovens work only for bigger tents, they are too hot. for a tent of two shelter halves you only need two candels or a storm lantern. A small tent oven for a handful of kindling is cold after half an hour, to burn for 3 to 5 hours you need some sticks at wrist-size, but an oven this size will not fit in your tent

8. GreatLakesWoodsman

GreatLakesWoodsman Scout

Blog Posts:
    Lets see your winter warm shelter or shelter plans for this winter or last, or any pics you have.

9. KC Wolf

KC Wolf Scout

Blog Posts:
    I received a Boy Scout wall-tent for Christmas last year, and then bought a wood stove made from an ammo can for it. I bought a piece of pipe flashing to sew in, but I haven't quite decided if I'm going to keep the stove yet. It does a great job heating the tent, but the size requires wood to be added every 2 hours. One night, I fell back to sleep before making certain that the new wood I added caught fire - then woke up about an hour later and it was 8 degrees in the tent.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. M.Higgins1985

M.Higgins1985 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have been thinking of doing the same thing that you are doing. I was wanting to build i guess sort of a trapper style cabin but use all natural materials. Digging it out a bitnthen shoring up with logs and then buikd the roof and add debris, dirt and such. Then also add a very small stove possibly made from a small barrel or keg and some exhaust tubing to vent out the roof. I have a spot picked out that is on a slight slope that i would put the front facing downhill to prevent rainwater running straight in.

11. Tree Climber

Tree Climber Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    The shelter I'm getting has a floor with it. If I get a Polish Lavuu sometime, then maybe. Otherwise this French Army Two Man Tent is my shelter for the winter.

12. Tree Climber

Tree Climber Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    I don't remember posting this.

hidden_lion likes this.
  13. thePlumbah

thePlumbah Scout

Blog Posts:
  14. rsnurkle

rsnurkle Supporter Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
  15. rsnurkle

Blog Posts:
    Round two of the wood-stove-heated plastic sheeting shack just occurred:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

field-expedient likes this.
  16. PiperCub49

PiperCub49 Scout

Blog Posts:
  17. castle22

castle22 Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    That was my inspiration for my first stove too, I'll say this - do NOT use that method for attaching the pipe to the stove, it's retarded. If you're using a roll up stove pipe like from tigoat just stick a tent stake or wire through the damper holes, or just buy a damper. The cutting and bending tabs method is a huge waste of time and doesn't work well at all.

camp casey likes this.
  18. akakesler

akakesler Scout

Blog Posts:
    This is my set-up with a old girl scout tent..
    hot3.jpg hot1.jpg

rsnurkle and GreatLakesWoodsman like this.
  19. Moquah

Moquah Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Anyone aware of hot tents made for use with a hammock?

20. GreatLakesWoodsman

GreatLakesWoodsman Scout

Blog Posts:
    Yes here's one at a recent michigan group camp that a fellow made. I don't recall if he was a forum member here or on the hammock forums. This thing was damn fancy and packed up quite nicely! Hope this helps.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

21. PlanetRigo

PlanetRigo Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Depends on where you are. I live in the Wind River Range of Wyoming. You definitely need a small wood stove if you plan on camping DEC-MAR. EVEN in a small 1-2 man tent. Unless you are going to sleep under a tarp or open faced shelter with a fire, which is what I've been doing.

I am looking at moving towards hot tenting because I hate waking up choking to smoke in my face. I have found some tents that appear to be good quality at about 3/4 - 1/2 the price of the snowtrekker's, but yeah, still not inexpensive. I'm still debating whether to do an ammo can DIY stove or just buy one. I'd appreciate any input.

rsnurkle likes this.
  22. jbutzi

jbutzi Tracker

Blog Posts:
  23. camp casey

camp casey Guide

Blog Posts:
    Building two hammock hot tents, and there’s a build I did in the winter camping part of this forum, not sure how to link it.

rsnurkle likes this.
  24. CharClothed

CharClothed Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    rsnurkle likes this.
  25. CharClothed

CharClothed Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I don't know if you remember this, but on our first trip out, the one with Joe and some others, there was a army tent with some canvas in between the two sections. It was either the Polish Lavuu or the pup tents. But between the two halves was a a frame of water proof canvas. In there, he had a wood stove as well. I think you can see it by watching Joe's video, I'll link it below. That might be a option you do to make the space a little bigger. Especially if you bring anyone.

rsnurkle likes this.
  26. Big ian

Big ian Scout

Blog Posts:
    Timely thread. I've been collecting materials to build a baffled upright wood burning heater/cooker stove from a 5 gallon steel paint bucket, loosely based on what has been offered for sale by chimpac (for those of you that have met him here or on other forums). The idea is to be able to build something requiring little if any tin-snipping skills, by using 'easy-to-source' parts that should be available to anyone with a decent hardware store. Here are a few off-site threads where he offers (and touts) his product:
    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9099
    http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=53145&sid=a0f7c4423c583d36ee1d578dabdc6bf8
    http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=29356
    I think the idea is sound, but he's had some issues with his promotion style.

For those of you who'd like to know, my plan is to use the pail upside down, with a smaller internal burn chamber inside made from a 6-7" tall piece of 8" dia black stove pipe, with the store-bought end cap on it. I plan to cut a hole in said cap to mount a ~4" dia riser chimney, which should come about 2" short of the inside top of the stove/bucket floor. I'll cut matching feed openings in the side of both the burn chamber and bucket and crimp or rivet them together, and install a sliding door over the feed hole. The floor of the burn chamber is planned to be a small collapsible veg steamer basket (should fall open to cover the bottom, and is perforated for air access) and the lid will be crimped on with the pour cap aligned right under the veg steamer floor of the burn chamber, so I can open the cap to provide air to a new fire, then shut it when not needed. A 4" chimney elbow will be mounted mid-bucket on the back for exhaust. I'm still collecting some of the bits, and I haven't got a solid legs solution yet (is that a pun? Happy to hear suggestions on these). I don't think I can use a damper on this stove, so the burn is controlled via fuel and air supply management. I'll have paint to burn off this new bucket, and I'm trying to stay away from galvanized.

The idea is to have a rocket stove inspired burn box that directs it's heat straight to a flat cook top, then the smoke is redirected/forced downward through the stove body to exit low via both the draw of the chimney and the force of the interior heat riser stack. The tall/upright stove body offers the advantages of an easy flat cook top as well as tall sides to optimise radiant heat (which is kind of the best you can hope for when using a thin stock sheet steel type stove I think). The bucket handle will stay mounted to move the stove around when cooled. All parts should be chap and available, so if anything fails it can be replaced. So far I have about $25CAD into this project (I bought a brand new 5gal bucket and some of the black chimneypipe parts). I'll probably need to get another $25 into this to finish it off, but if it works as planned one could source out a lot of these parts at little cost.

The heat riser I currently have is an 8" long piece of glazed terracotta 3.5" in diameter, not sure how it'll stand up to the use but if it sucks I was always planning on using a large-ish can anyway, with maybe some muffler wrap for insulation. I might have to wire up a support to the riser to stabilise it, If it works well I don't see why a plant pot wouldn't also work. If the idea proves sound I'll add the feed ramp or a wire caddy so I can use longer firewood lengths and just keep feeding them in as they burn.

FWIW this will be my first effort at making something like this so all constructive input is appreciated. If I can get it working well I'd like to build something like this to go with it:

rsnurkle likes this.
  27. rsnurkle

Blog Posts:
  28. castle22

castle22 Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    It’s a Christmas miracle! A five year old post brought back from the dead, haha.

I remember ‘cause it was my tent, you’re right it was two Polish lavvus and a canvas drop cloth. I think 8x10. Not waterproof, but breathed really well. Homemade wood stove. I gave that tent away at that camp, this year I finally built a new one. Cheaper too at about $50 total cost. Tipi style, made out of tyvek. Stove is made out of a thrift store stainless steel baking pan. Roll up stove pipe made from galv roll flashing with the galv dissolved off in vinegar. I’ll probably do a detailed post at some point....probably.

2367942C-1708-4642-917E-B22217F72581.jpeg

DDBE17AB-29AC-456E-8439-A73B7386757B.jpeg

Shaw, CharClothed and rsnurkle like this.
  29. Myr1ad

Myr1ad Scout

Blog Posts:
    Not my picture, it is the one I used for inspiration when I made mine. Those are two stainless warming trays, like you see in a buffet at a restauratnt. Comes apart and nests into each other, and then all the other parts pile into the tub.

Hints: Buy three trays. Cut one for the hatch/door, that way it can be bigger and overlap the opening. They also sell lids, I am working on making heat baffles using a lid on the bottom and then the second tub inverted on top.

9BF0D35B-A6D8-4343-B226-78318CB46A00.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018