DNA test results

Discussion in 'General Bushcraft Discussion' started by CSM1970, Aug 14, 2019.

1. CSM1970

CSM1970 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Got my DNA test results in today. I passed. Seriously, I learned I am 58% German, 16% Italian, 8% English, and some other stuff. Now, I can trace both sides of my family back to the mid-1800: mom to Italy and dad to England. Where did all the Germanic blood come from? Then it occurred to me that my ancestors were of mixed origins too, just because my GG grandmother came from England, it does not mean she was English. Heck, I even have Spanish, French and Russian in me. Seems the old folks got around pretty good.

2. Mikewood

Mikewood Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Indeed they did.
    Germans are kind of the first wave of discriminated immigrants. You didn’t want to be German if you didn’t have to and immigration would often shorten and anglacanize sir names. The name Mass would become Moss etc. so it’s easy for Germans to slip thru the cracks. Just don’t drink in public or speak German and in a generation you become “100% American mutt”.

3. Stone

Stone Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    It wasn't real popular to have German bloodlines during WWI and WWII...maybe some fallout from that? My wife says (she's a historian) that there was a Lutheran pastor lynched in the US during WWI for praying with a dying woman in German.

Quinlan, blind & lost, JeffG and 5 others like this.
  4. Haggis

Haggis Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    A “Scot” friend of mine, from the Isle of Lewis, once told me that people go back far enough to find a culture they like, and stick with that. He said he was a Scot, but most all of his ancestors were from Norway, et al, Vikings settle on the islands and became Scots over time...

Both sides of my family were Scots, but my Mother’s side, the MacNeils of Barra, the MacNeils were descendants of Niall of the Nine Hostages of Ireland, and became Scots over time. The Irish originated somewhere else...

Father’s side were Pictish,,, descendants of Eanruig Mor, Big Henry,,, they became Scots over time,,, eventually MacEanruig, and then eventually the Anglicized version thereof... The Picts originated somewhere else...

We are all, every one of us, cousins here,,, Either we all came from Eve, or we all came from Lucy,,, (maybe even Lucy came from Eve?)

JasonJ, Quinlan, jasam and 12 others like this.
  5. Cascadian

Cascadian Guide

Blog Posts:
    I come from a long line of Prokaryotes.

6. DavidJAFO

DavidJAFO Keeper of the Clubhouse swear jar Supporter

Blog Posts:
    hello,
    the German DNA may have been linked to the English Anglo Saxons? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Saxons slightly O.T I was watching an interesting programme on Yesterday (cable channel). Quote: It is widely believed that the first migrants to North America arrived approximately 14,000 years ago, having trekked across a land bridge spanning the Bering Strait from Siberia to Alaska. However, extraordinary new evidence supports an explosive theory of another trip to the New World. A group of international scientists believe they have discovered the building blocks to prove that an earlier route was taken by brave souls from Europe across the Atlantic Ocean during the last Ice Age, travelling across a massive ice bridge spanning thousands of miles from mainland Europe, and arriving in North America thousands of years before those from the west. Now, discoveries are being made that could change everything we know about the earliest human inhabitants of the New World and how they arrived there in the first place.
    Regards
    David

SMLE Guy, Quinlan, ExAF1N1 and 7 others like this.
  7. DavidJAFO

DavidJAFO Keeper of the Clubhouse swear jar Supporter

Blog Posts:
    hello,
    Brother (literally) @Haggis we have a Scots saying "we're all Jock Tamson's bairns" :4: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jock_Tamson's_Bairns
    Regards
    David

Quinlan, JeffG, Sandcut and 4 others like this.
  8. Stone

Stone Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    cyanobacteria line?

JasonJ, Quinlan, ExAF1N1 and 8 others like this.
  9. Cascadian

Cascadian Guide

Blog Posts:
    Exactly. An odd religious line. They were self-flagellating.

kronin323, Quinlan, ExAF1N1 and 17 others like this.
  10. WhisperInThePine

WhisperInThePine Wubba lubba dub dub Supporter

Blog Posts:
    We can trace one line (surname Kettenring) of my family back to Landstuhl, Germany into the 16th century. They were pre American Revolution Pennsylvania Deitsch. That line then settled in Ohio and became well known via Charles F. Kettering (inventor of electric starting engine) who in turn had Kettering, Ohio and Kettering University named after him.

Quinlan, JeffG, DavidJAFO and 2 others like this.
  11. Richinva

Richinva Lover of Sharpened Bits of Steel... Supporter

Blog Posts:
    After some research, I'm not very trusting of those tests/results..........

Stophel, Quinlan, OrienM and 4 others like this.
  12. Cascadian

Cascadian Guide

Blog Posts:
    ... or what they do with your data.

Don't feed The Beast.

Quinlan, ezra45, DKR and 8 others like this.
  13. CSM1970

Blog Posts:
    I think a lot more sensitive data was accessed in the various breaches in banks, credit rating companies, etc. than in all the data in DNA data banks. Just waiting for the Russians to hack the IRS if the haven’t already.

JasonJ, Quinlan, JeffG and 5 others like this.
  14. Andy 315

Andy 315 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I come from a long line of procrastinators.

Quinlan, jasam, blind & lost and 8 others like this.
  15. Enzo

Enzo Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That’s pretty cool.

I’m 50% El Salvadoran, 25% Spanish, and 25% English.

Quinlan, JeffG and Mikewood like this.
  16. Ron

Ron Guide

Blog Posts:
    I hate to rain on your parade, but from what I understood is that these tests, I am now assuming you did one of those cottonswab-thingies, are not as reliable as everyone seems to think. Far from.
    Besides doing such tests gives corporations access to your DNA-profile. Dont now if that is so desirable, with all the AI and digital profiling going on these days.

17. rk_az

rk_az Wandering Supporter

Blog Posts:
  18. Andy 315

Blog Posts:
    I came up 40% Spanish and the rest various eastern European. Funny my family always claimed Italian. Nope not a drop. Like mentioned above probably it was better being Italian than Spanish when my ancestors washed up on the shores.

Quinlan, JeffG and Mikewood like this.
  19. Sandcut

Sandcut Sed ego sum homo indomitus Vendor

Blog Posts:

I'm apparently 0.6% SeneGambian.

So, I'm sticking with that as my primary identity. Forget the other 99.4%.

Quinlan, Haggis, JeffG and 2 others like this.
  20. Mikewood

Blog Posts:
    I don’t see how they have access to your DNA.
    You buy a test kit for say 75.00. All it shows is that someone bought the kit. Not who bought which kit. So your credit card data isn’t linked to a specific kit.
    You spit in a tube but they don’t know who you are. You log onto their website using a public email address and user name. You get your results online.
    Nothing is sent to your door and your credit card isn’t logged to a specific sample number. So it’s 100% blind.

Hospitals on the other hand are easily able to illegally take a blood sample from a test that is linked to all your personal info and use it for any purpose they choose.

JasonJ, Quinlan, plantedtao and 2 others like this.
  21. aaronu

aaronu Armchair Bushcrafter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    A close family friend of ours was adopted as a newborn. He recently did a DNA test. Very soon after, he got a call from someone claiming to be his brother. Apparently this person or someone in the immediate family had also done a DNA test and their DNA was a perfect match.

The facts align on both sides: his mother was pregnant at 18 and out of wedlock in the late 50's. She delivered the baby, who was then whisked away and adopted out. The parents married and had three more children, roughly one year apart each. Both parents are now deceased but our friend suddenly has three siblings and a host of nieces and nephews. He shared out a few "reunion" photos and the family resemblance is unmistakable.

My great grandmother was rather proud of her German heritage -- right up to about 1937. After that it wasn't a polite topic for discussion.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  22. JeffG

JeffG Guide

Blog Posts:
    Apparently there is a lot of these types of results in these searches. It can be unwanted and world-rocking... I don't even watch Maury, or Dr. Phil. :34:

Quinlan, Mikewood and Enzo like this.
  23. PVF1

PVF1 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My wife took one of those DNA tests and accidentally discovered that her father has a half-sister that nobody knew about! (Well, I guess her grandfather most have known about it!). Gotta be careful with those tests lol, never know what you'll find.

DavidJAFO, Quinlan and AdamD1776 like this.
  24. Mikewood

Blog Posts:
    In the test paperwork you can opt out. Or just not supply personal data like an address or phone number and you don’t have to worry.

Quinlan likes this.
  25. aaronu

aaronu Armchair Bushcrafter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Seems like this is something one would opt into, not be included by default.

In the case of our friend, he knew he was adopted, and his blood relatives knew there was an older brother out there somewhere.

Suffice it to say, our family friend holds is very certainly on one side of the political spectrum and has a lifestyle that might appeal to the Jerry Springer crowd. He was super worried how things would play out if his newfound siblings held strongly different views.

I haven't heard much so the potential political drama was a non-issue. OTOH his new family are all dyed-in-the-wool Seahawks fans while he could care less. At least he's not a Steelers or Pats fan. ;)

Quinlan, plantedtao and JeffG like this.
  26. CSM1970

Blog Posts:
    Not a cotton swab, spit in a test tube. And I am aware of the often repeated error, limitation, fraud, etc. but ours seems to be reasonably consistent with our expectations. I am trusting they will not use my DNA to genetically engineer a race of supermen and use them to crush the scoffers and non-believers.

27. Richinva

Richinva Lover of Sharpened Bits of Steel... Supporter

Blog Posts:
    After I saw that piece about the identical triplet sisters that all got way different results, I have my doubts that the science is, well, science just yet. Hopefully, it will get better with time, although I'm not sure how anyone can ever be really sure..........

Winterhorse and Quinlan like this.
  28. Metaldog

Metaldog Just chasing my tail... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    @CSM1970, which DNA test did you go with, if you don't mind my asking?

I have been contemplating doing one myself. 3 of our 4 children have done the Ancestry .com DNA test. But, I too, question the validity of most of the DNA tests out there. Many seem to me to be "snake oil" scams just trying to make money.

The prominent nationalities that showed up on my kids was German, Norwegian, and Irish. This much we knew already. Mostly Norwegian with some German on my side. Irish on my wife's side. But, surprisingly, she also had a good amount of German on her side that we were not aware of. Ancestry.com confirmed that the German on my wife's side came from her mothers ancestry.

DavidJAFO, Quinlan and JeffG like this.
  29. OrienM

OrienM Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'm not much interested having this done myself. My students keep getting them; I like to ask, "so, are you mostly Human?" :4:

Winterhorse, Haggis, Quinlan and 2 others like this.
  30. TWill

TWill Guide

Blog Posts:
    There's such a hunger for people to know where they came from but I wonder if our ancestors would be at all interested to know where all their progeny went. If life is a highway don't spend to much time staring into the rearview mirrors.

Quinlan and JeffG like this.
  31. CSM1970

Blog Posts:
    We used Ancestry.com. You should remember that what you are getting is a world map with circled areas where segments of your DNA are prevalent. Depending where the circles fall, you could have DNA from several countries and calling one as dominant is an estimate. It will tell you generally where your ancestors came from. It will also give you a list of people who share significant percentages of your DNA. I had over 350 3rd and 4th cousins listed. My wife had over 800. As I was building my Family Tree, I entered my maternal grand mother’s name and it instantly gave me her maiden name, her husbands name and photographs of them. Their database is pretty extensive.

32. EternalLove

EternalLove Guide

Blog Posts:
    I used DNA and Me. I thought I was just a standard white guy. It turns out I have 2.4% Bajoran. My people were oppressed. I am a victim.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  33. Andy 315

Blog Posts:
    Other than the 40% Spanish I seem to have more neanderthal than most others. Gonna trade my Spanish fork in for a club.

OrienM, Winterhorse, Haggis and 3 others like this.
  34. EternalLove

EternalLove Guide

Blog Posts:
    I think that we should have a million Neanderthal march on Washington D.C.

I wonder how many chipmunk pelts I will need to craft my loin cloth.

OrienM, Winterhorse, Haggis and 3 others like this.
  35. will62

will62 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Haven't done one yet, been working on the Family Tree and learned a couple my ancestors went back to Europe and then later came back here. I found a guy I served with in the eighties was a third cousin. I had no idea at the time.

36. salty dog

salty dog Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm in, but not knowledgeable about the DC weapons laws. Do I have to leave my club at home?

OrienM, Winterhorse, Haggis and 4 others like this.
  37. Matthew Post

Matthew Post Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Most of the UK, Northern Europe, Sweden, Iceland, and the Dutch all originated for Germanic tribes during the great migration in 300 AD

38. DKR

DKR Guide

Blog Posts:
    DNA eh?

I had a brother that did this the old fashioned way - research birth and census records sort of thing.. Hit a dead end at GG grandfather. Seems that part of Germany got pasted pretty good n the later part of the conflict. No records to search.....

AS for the DNA 'test" - I'll take a pass. Too many tales of bogus 'labs' and so on. Then there is this - https://www.theatlantic.com/science...killer-east-area-rapist-dna-genealogy/559070/

39. Bushcraft and Brews

Bushcraft and Brews Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I think I do too. Let me get back to you on that.

Winterhorse, Haggis, Quinlan and 2 others like this.
  40. OiMcCoy

OiMcCoy Scout

Blog Posts:
    I am always really curious as to what they classify as "German" or whichever nationality. Populations in every part of the world has shifted so incredibly much over recorded history. Especially in places that have been highly contested over.

What time in history are they referencing to for a DNA test? Germania? Prussia? East/West Berlin?

Haggis, Quinlan, OrienM and 1 other person like this.
  41. CSM1970

Blog Posts:
    DNA is not predicated on a specific time. What we call German could be Anglo Saxon DNA.

Haggis, DavidJAFO, Quinlan and 3 others like this.
  42. Tyrthek

Tyrthek Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Different tests will often yield different results for what your heritage is due to the way their identification algorithms work for pairing the DNA markers to a region.

Even the algorithm for each company changes as more evidence comes to light. So keep an eye on the results! They could change with some time!

43. TWill

TWill Guide

Blog Posts:
    The ancient people(BC) of northern and western Europe were Celtic from which tribes and groups like the Gauls, Saxons, Normans, Franks, Vandals, Britons, Angles, Danes, Norse, Russ, Goths, Visgoths, Picts and Scots shook out into language groups. There were many other regional groups and languages and geography like mountains isolated them much more than oceans. Regions like Spain were chock full of smaller tribes of folks who often were fighting but later conquered by larger groups and stirred into the genetic pot...bale or bail, I don't know. The Bosque people are the largest group not to fully get mixed into the stew and still retain their language and identity.
    My own family shrub is firmly rooted somewhere out there in the Dutch low countries and British Isles. Our furthest traced back ancestor was a Philipe Maton or Martin of Wiltse/Wiltz which is a spot on the map in Luxemburg. He soldiered in the wars of the late 1500s and then joined in the Dutch East India Company going out to New Netherland in the early 1600s. No idea if he ever got rich but a few of his kinder stayed put and our family name is one of the original group that was early Dutch Colonial here in the New World. He was part of the Dutch settlers that established an outpost named Swanendael established 1631 which is near present day Lewes Creek where it comes out on the coast of Delaware. So does that get me a free coffee, metwurst and pannekucken at any Dutch pancake restaurants? I wish.

Haggis, DavidJAFO, Quinlan and 2 others like this.
  44. Bax 40

Bax 40 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    You may wanna read the news, they have been acesssing these dna data bases to catch criminals who left dna at various crime, aint no telling what else the Gov. may do with that info though I am glad they are taking rapist and murderers off the street.

Larry

slysir, Haggis, Quinlan and 1 other person like this.
  45. Sandcut

Sandcut Sed ego sum homo indomitus Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Would that truly be any different than Verizon or AT&T providing cell phone information to the police because they asked the company which phones "pinged" a particular cell tower near a crime scene at the time of the crime? I'm not convinced that it is any different.

CSM1970, Haggis and Quinlan like this.
  46. Duncsquatch

Duncsquatch Heed the call. Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My family is also Scottish, and I had a dna test, no suprises there, but i also had the ties to Niall. Clan Donnachaidh. 2nd place was German from my grandmother who is full German 2nd generation the US.

Haggis, DavidJAFO and Quinlan like this.
  47. slysir

slysir Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    A blood line on my father's side was traced back to a specific American Indian tribe...the Fukawi's. They wondered the vast expanses of the West when they finally came to the conclusion..."Where the Fuk are we"? :confused::D:rolleyes:

-John

EternalLove, OrienM and Bax 40 like this.
  48. rhino on INGO

rhino on INGO Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    It also depends on how good their data set is. I think the differing test results among the provides are mostly a result of using different databases of markers associated with ethnicities and regions and how accurate the associations are (or are not). Even when they identify a marker that is strongly associated with a specific region or group, there is still a finite probability that the same marker or one so similar that they can't differentiate could appear in just about anyone from anywhere, albeit it would be far less likely.

I think the commercially available DNA-based ancestry summaries are reasonable approximations, especially when the results indicate a large percentage of ancestry from a specific group/region. I assume that occurs when multiple identified markers are found in the DNA profile of the individual. I am skeptical of the 0.01% findings, as the uncertainty/margin of error is probably bigger than the value. If a profile suggests 86% from the British Isles and 0.2% from (anywhere), I am inclined to believe that someone has roots in the British Isles and the (anywhere) is a big a maybe.

49. Tyrthek

Tyrthek Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Absolutely. My work in the field of genetics doesn't trend towards heritage- however I can absolutely agree with what you are stating here. Ancestry summaries are a very good way to offer some direction to people who don't know much about their origins, but they could stand to divulge the limitations of the methods used in identification. As that area develops further, it will help. The human genome is immense, and I am excited to see how many variants are found to be associated with specific regions. Just as with all of the sciences, time is the game.

50. Jon Foster

Jon Foster Guide

Blog Posts:
    Here are my current test results.

46525411_1894958033874921_6052131076418043904_n.jpg
    Jon.