Do you find you need a frypan or not?

Discussion in 'Cooking & Water Purification' started by Bushcraft Bill, Dec 21, 2018.

1. Bushcraft Bill

Bushcraft Bill Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have a cooking setup with firebox and cooking pot and a cup I am debating on if I really need to add a frying pan or not I am trying to go as light as I can with my cooking setup the frypan just seems like a luxury item to me right now I am thinking I can cook what ever I would in a frypan in the cooking pot or on a stick over the fire.

Your Thoughts

Bill

Attached Files:

2. Bob_Spr

Bob_Spr Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Unless I am with a group, I just use my pot lid if I need to fry anything.

3. manitoulinbound

manitoulinbound Apple Fritter Lover Supporter

Blog Posts:
    A good cold handle skillet or similar will not be noticed in your pack if you don't use it but will earn it's keep the first time you do.

BigHat, GreenFrog, gdwigg and 14 others like this.
  4. Haggis

Haggis Guide

Blog Posts:
    I only drink tea or boil water for oatmeal with my kettle... I carry a skillet for my frybread, and fish if I can catch any. I reckon I could boy scout some dough around a stick, or peg a fish to a slab of wood and set it before the fire, but I’d rather save that to wow the Granddarlings.

5. DuctTape

DuctTape Scout

Blog Posts:
    It depends on the mission. On a strictly backpacking trip, I never bring one. On a fishing trip, it is a necessity. The cooking hardware to bring is 100% dependent on what you will be cooking.

6. Usingmyrights

Usingmyrights Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Bacon and fish are easier in a pan.

7. rocketbomb

rocketbomb Guide

Blog Posts:
    I only take one if I'm really set on cooking something with one. Most of my cooking outdoors is done while backpacking, and I tend to only take a pan along when I will be catching trout during a trip. For car camping, I more often grill than use a frying pan. The only times I really use a skillet when car camping is when I cook breakfasts of eggs/bacon/sausage, which is surprisingly rare.

By far most of my camp cooking is with a pot, but I do a lot of dehydrated or freeze dried meals, because I usually travel solo and tend to make meals quickly instead of spending lots of time around a fire cooking.

8. gila_dog

gila_dog Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Being really lazy, and mostly camping out of my truck camper, I have to say that I love my cast iron skillets (2) that live in the camper. An 8" and a 10". I can really rustle up some grub in those things. But for really light camping I have an aluminum mess kit that includes a pot, a plate, and a skillet with a handle. I've actually fried fish and rabbit and eggs, and made spaghetti sauce in it. It's also handy when preparing food, as a clean place to set things. More than that, I'm not willing to carry.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  9. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue Graybeard Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Life without a fry pan is like life without... (insert your own favorite).

I like my steel skillet.

DAD0A0EA-059C-4D81-A05A-F11051FB1B46.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
    Elwha, azmike9, rsnurkle and 20 others like this.
  10. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Mostly echoing others... I'm lazy and that applies to just about everything... don't want to carry excess weight if i don't have to, don't like to clean dishes, don't like to cook much.

So, no, I don't normally carry a frying pan. I don't like most fish (trout are an exception) and find I can cook bacon on a stick without having to clean up a pan afterwards. I usually skewer it like a hot dog, weaving it back and forth. Another option is wrapping the day's ration in foil, and then just opening it and laying that on the coals. it doesn't take much to get 'done', and then you just fold up the foil and stick it in your trash bag. Another option is hanging it over a stick over a fire... all up to you.

I have also flipped over a mors pot lid and used that to fry bacon in. For that, I usually cut a single piece into thirds.
    However, i do have a small 6" Paderno sheet steel pan to which I mated a Stanley frying pan folding handle, and an even smaller no-name one with a hinged handle. I cut that handle down even more, and it's not too heavy. Very seldom take the latter two backpacking. Either of those sit in the bottom of my cook pot sack, and the 5- and 8-cup Mors pot nests on top. The folding handles just stand up alongside (vs being folded into the middle).

For canoeing, I like a frying pan well enough, especially if trout fishing is involved, and sometimes go as far as to take a cast iron one if there are no portages (along with oil, lemons, onions, and other heavy luxuries.)

11. Bushcraft Bill

Bushcraft Bill Scout

Blog Posts:
    Interesting replies!
    I love to fish hunt and forage I have cooked fish skewered on a stick bacon same thing eggs can be cooked/boiled in the pot so far I can see I can do without a frying pan still.

Car camping totally different story I have every cooking/baking implement under the sun literally..

12. central joe

central joe Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Years ago I had a steel pie tin, it served as fry pan / plate and a few other things. No handle, I just used pliers. Pretty small and light. joe

13. Haggis

Haggis Guide

Blog Posts:
    I’ve used a pie pan a lot,,, was my first choice for a very long time...

14. Moe M.

Moe M. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've got three of them Joe, 4", 6", and 8", they are light and serve a variety of functions, I carried one or the other when I was period trekking and carried them over to my woods bumming, I seasoned them in the oven, keeps them rust proof and no stick, I use the pliers on my Buck-lite multi tool as a handle.

15. TheRambler

TheRambler Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Love my cold handle skillet. I don’t always bring it in summer but is a staple in winter. Bacon, sausage, eggs, fry bread, pizza, steak, fried potatoes, pancakes , all kinda of other good stuff too

Andster, gdwigg, hidden_lion and 9 others like this.
  16. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Scout

Blog Posts:
    My tiny lil pan is designed as the lid for my pot, I do like pancakes cooked in bacon grease. ;). It also acts as a spoon rest or shavings catcher sometimes. In either the Ti I normally use or the SS that goes on long trips it doesn't seem too much vs its utility.

17. 66drifter

66drifter Guide

Blog Posts:
    at least 1 skillet

10421588_10204525654125262_3183434040260244914_n.jpg

and at least 1 dutch oven

16938663_397871633919365_7228519985192761808_n.jpg

oh yes and a coffee pot

16998846_397870287252833_7989786666457146417_n.jpg

when i/we cook in camp we are usually feeding a couple extras

i can personally go for several days w/o cooking EXCEPT for my coffee(real coffee knot instant or that stuff that steeps from baggies)

18. MartyJ

MartyJ Scout

Blog Posts:
    I wouldn’t carry anything you don’t want. The fact you don’t have one indicates you may not put much stock in them in the first place and doubt anyone here will talk you into one. If you only want hot water and pot meals a kettle is fine. I love a small little cold handle pan. I took one and riveted a couple of copper pipe rings on it to remove the handle and use a stick but then I like to fry my bacon, not broil it and then fry some potatoes in the grease and top them with some eggs. My diet would make a heart surgeon faint. I’m in my seventh decade getting real close to my eighth so I fear my poor diet may kill me someday. That or fast living.

19. Big ian

Big ian Scout

Blog Posts:
    Firebox Steve uses a pan for much of his cooking, including heating/boiling water. Dispenses with the pot instead. Might work for others as well.

20. Outdoor Dauber

Outdoor Dauber Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I just bought a very small (maybe 5" across the bottom) steel skillet today for $2 at an antique barn. I will be using it in the near future. I also have a 6" SS copper bottom pan I've been using.

21. jerome

jerome Scout

Blog Posts:
    I probably do not need one. I do carry one.

22. Moe M.

Moe M. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Back a few years ago I was forced to lighten my pack weight or quit hanging out in the woods, it took a lot of time and thought to get my day pack weight down from just under 20 lbs. to about 9 lbs. and still have what I feel I need in case of an emergency, I'm no longer a young man in his prime, a mechanical injury could have me sleeping in the woods overnight, a worse case scenario could be more serious.
    I've found that there's quite a bit of stuff I can do without and still have what I need and still be comfortable, I like to cook in camp and used to carry a full cook kit including a couple of bush pots, a small kettle, and a cold handle frying pan, and once in a while a small folding reflector oven.
    Today my cook kit is a 1.1 Lt. Mors bush pot, an REI cup and lid, and a small Titanium bowl, I also carry a Solo Stove lite and a spirit burner, there's not much I can't cook, bake, steam, or boil with that set up, I also carry a sheet of aluminum foil that I can make into a pocket to place on the coals for fish, meat, potatoes, or veggies, steaks and chops get grilled right on the hot coals, potatoes can be baked in the coals, bannock can be baked on a stick, on a hot rock, or on a plank by the fire, bacon and spam are great on a stick over coals, eggs can be boiled or poached in the pot.
    I've though about buying one of the new Titanium frying pans, but in all honesty it's been over a year since I needed a frying pan in camp.

23. Big ian

Big ian Scout

Blog Posts:
    I think I can visualize what you're saying..... Got a pic of that setup?

24. Waldeinsamkeit Woodcraft

Waldeinsamkeit Woodcraft Woodland Wizard Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I mean no but I really like pancakes so I normally bring one!

25. Beach Hiker

Beach Hiker Traveller Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    It all depends on what you want to eat....

For light, and moving quickly, then probably no.
    For slow and savouring the moment, then definitely yes.
    Each has its merits, but these days I lean towards the slower side....

26. Staleym

Staleym Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Hey there. I have a titanium plate that I use with those pliers-like hot pan lifter.

27. Seacapt.

Seacapt. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Canoe/sail or car camping I'll bring a steel fry pan, day tripping or single overnight back packing I can do every thing wit a stick, stone or plank.

28. Odd-Arne Oseberg

Odd-Arne Oseberg Tracker

Blog Posts:
    It all depends.

Personally, don't really fry stuff anymore. I might sear some meat, but that would be one of the reasons for choosing the Firebox. I don't need a pan for that.

I would generally use one or the other. Depends on the type of cooking I'll be doing.

Now, if you bring a larger pot your lid might as well be a frying pan, right?

Guttersnipe, central joe and Haggis like this.
  29. Paul Caruso

Paul Caruso Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I took a cue from MCQ Bushcraft. I have a Ti plate that I can easily make a handle for and use that as a frypan.

30. Outdoor Dauber

Blog Posts:
    Ok, so not to be a jerk, but essentially all of you that are using a pie pan, metal plate, pot lid etc. as a fry pan are saying "yeah, you need a fry pan", you just don't carry a dedicated model. So, now the question becomes, "do you need a vessel to fry in, or can all your cooking be done in a bushpot, on a stick, etc."

31. zelph

zelph Guide Vendor Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Use non-stick aluminum foil

32. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    A frypan. A pan that you can fry stuff in, correct? But..... you can also use the pan to cook other stuff in too, yes? :)

I have such a pan. I guess it is technically a frypan, but is about 8" in diameter and has sidewalls a good 1 1/2" or so. I fry in it. I also cook pasta in it. I boil water in it. I have a lid for it, and I can pretty much get by with just this pan. :)

33. Seacapt.

Seacapt. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:

Short answer, yes. I scramble my eggs in a Mors 1.1l pot, hang bacon from a stick and bake bannock on stick or flat rock. Green stick roasting for fish, fowl and red meat. No clean up mess or carry weight/space.

34. SoreFeet

SoreFeet Scout

Blog Posts:
    Just because I can get along without something,
    doesn't mean I want to. :33:

If I don't forget it, I'm taking one of my bromwell frying pans.
    Not only does it fry good! It makes yummy bread. :4:
    If I forget it, I'll do without. :(

If you don't want one, that's alright by me. :57:

35. TheRambler

TheRambler Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I find a dedicated fry pan, in my case a cold handled skillet, to be preferable. It makes ease of cooking much better in relation to an improvised one.

Sure you can use a pot lid or a plate, but i just find it more tedious than it needs to be for me personally. Pot lids can have the tendancy to tip over, be small, unstable, have an odd shape that can cause inconsistencies in cooking such as a domed mors lid , or potentially stick badly etc. You can also cook items over a fire via different methods. I often cook things over a fire but the only downside to that is losing alot of the fat content, and boy does my keto body love me some fat!

Frying pans are by no means a necessity, but if you are going to be cooking that kinda thing I find they give you a more consistent cook, a better ease of cooking, and better nutrient retention. Also it allows me to have a very small fire and not a much larger fire to actually cook over in comparison.

In the end it comes down to personal preference , i can make do with a pot lid or a fire, but the extra 8 ounces or so makes it worthwhile to carry a dedicated one on many trips for me.

36. Odd-Arne Oseberg

Odd-Arne Oseberg Tracker

Blog Posts:
    On the trail I really just boil(soak in hot water really) and grill.

With conveyence it changes a bit, but it doesn't have to. Main extras for me in the car... wok and steam basket.

Much of my stuff is backpacking stuff, but to me it's car camping stuff. It adds no value on the trail to me.

If I want to saute larger amounts of food evenly I like a frying pan.

Fried fish has place in many people's hearts, but not really in mine.

Better a pan as a plate, than a plate as a pan.

37. gohammergo

Blog Posts:
    See, now this conversation is just plain and simply awesome. :)

So many different ways to do things, so many opinions, and no fighting! :)

Folks who fry, folks who boil, folks who cook on sticks, it doesn't matter. We all end up well fed at the end of the day. And that is the great thing about life. :)

38. Guttersnipe

Guttersnipe Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Yeah.
    Even though you're all doing it the wrong way... :18::18::18:

39. gdwigg

gdwigg Scout

Blog Posts:
    I don’t usually need my 1st aid kit, but I feel better having one with me. I like having a fry pan with me to use when I want.
    A 6 5/8” Paderno carbon pan weighs 6.2 ounces, and takes up very little space. For less than $10 why not try one? If you decide you don’t want to carry it you can use it for a great personal pan pizza pan at home.
    Regardless of what anyone else likes or dislikes, you can’t go wrong finding out what works best for you.

40. OrienM

OrienM Guide

Blog Posts:
    No frying pan here for the most part...I mostly do 'one-pot' meals in my billy, or grill stuff on a stick or on the coals. On car camping trips, where weight isn't an issue, I'll sometimes bring a tiny (10") wok.

41. gohammergo

Blog Posts:
    Well, one of us is doing it the right way. ;) The rest will catch on later! :)

:18::18::18:

42. Guttersnipe

Guttersnipe Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I actually just got a fry pan because I've wished I had one when when I didn't.
    I think now that I'm older, besides sleeping comfortably, I really enjoy a good meal. Sometimes that means a pan to fry in.
    This is what I ended up with. Now I just need to season it, and break her in.
    IMG_20181223_090321511.jpg IMG_20181223_090430006.jpg

43. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Scout

Blog Posts:
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

Wa-la. Pot with lid that is also a fry pan. Weight app 6 oz. There is another pot with a flat lid that nest in this one, total weight is around 12 oz. I like eggs, they go in a Naglene and get shaken/scrambled, I will concede they could be done in the pot..but I like coffee with my breakfast so the pot is already in use. Bacon or bannock on a stick is probably a no go. Would just make a huge mess. This is "no trace" stuff. 10 minutes after I'm gone only cats like you guys would even notice the bent grass or faint footprints. Now if I'm in a campsite that has firepits...I go big. 4 qt Dutch oven and stew is on, y'all drop by. :) There is no right or wrong way, but if you want a frypan there are ways to carry one without packing in your 12" Lodge or needing a Conestoga wagon and a team of oxen. :D

44. MartyJ

MartyJ Scout

Blog Posts:
    I’m sorry, that was a computer crash ago. I looked out in the garage and it must be buried deep in the pile. Simply done though. I took a small steel frying pan and cut the handle off leaving about an inch of the handle lip. Under the lip, I riveted a 1 inch piece of 3/4 copper pipe. (I mistakenly said two in the first post). You then carve a green stick at camp and shove it through the pipe against the side of the pan. To make it more stable, before you fasten on the pipe piece, anneal it (red hot and then quench) and square it off using an old file or similar as a mandrel. That way you are sticking a round object in a square hole.

Not sure this weighs much less though. I didn’t check the weight of the piece before or after. You cut off a piece of thin steel and add on a piece of copper. The main value is being able to keep you hand away from the fire. I know they write “cold handle” on the handle and it works on the stove but not so much on a campfire.

central joe and Guttersnipe like this.
  45. spumwuzzle

spumwuzzle Tracker

Blog Posts:
    9C8D9E79-622E-4A17-B5E8-D5F4FB9420DA.jpeg F80A41AE-438C-4E4C-9BC2-DEF8C83CC5D3.jpeg I found this at WalMart, it lets me do most of the things my frypan did, doesn’t take up as much space. Eggs, bacon, potatoes, fry bread... non stick surface helps, less oil used. No long handle sticking out.

46. silent chad

silent chad Tracker

Blog Posts:
    It's trip dependent, of course, so if I want to, I'll carry a small anodized skillet or something, but I always have a Ti plate that I've 'seasoned' so that it works as a frypan.

Its super light, but the one I've got I think is a Health Pro brand or something.... its a little ( very little ) heavier, thicker titanium than most others and its flat on the bottom without
    ridges or rings.

Easier to use over coals than an open flame, but what isn't?
    Honestly its pretty easy to use, far more forgiving than I expected out of titanium.

I don't carry a pot-lifter or multitool, but a green wood handle takes minutes, or just grab the edge with a rag or glove.
    and there's the rub, no dedicated, quick release, etc handle.

Its still not sheet steel or cast iron so due diligence is required

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
    central joe, Guttersnipe and Staleym like this.
  47. CoolBreeze135

CoolBreeze135 Scholarly Woodsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    It entirely depends on what you cook. I love my frying pans, but they are not strictly necessary. Sometimes I plan my meals around my packing list. Other times, I plan my packing list around my meals.

I love to shed weight too. My main cook kit is just a 750 mL titanium pot that nests with my Nalgene. I add a frying pan or pack grill as needed. I have 2 skillets, and they are both pretty lightweight (under 7 or 8 oz).

Here's some photos to tempt you:

I used to use my 6.25'' Paderno carbon steel pan as my primary skillet

20170402_194944841_iOS.jpg

20170107_141438.jpg

20170507_184847453_iOS.jpg

20171105_202719968_iOS.jpg

Now I usually use a Heavy Cover titanium skillet thanks to my friend @gwynn1975.

20180203_203425064_iOS.jpg

20180225_203347750_iOS.jpg

20180421_223413155_iOS.jpg

20180520_185216279_iOS.jpg

48. Bushcraft Bill

Bushcraft Bill Scout

Blog Posts:
    It looks like a frying pan works you!
    I wonder how one of them new ceramic none stick type frying pans would work their are some nice small ones available these days.

central joe and Guttersnipe like this.
  49. Elwha

Elwha Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Oh yeah, more than my other pots for sure. Make mine either a Cold Handle or a Griswold..........

Nice Rainbow in the first pic below.

upload_2019-1-13_14-10-18.png

upload_2019-1-13_14-9-18.png

upload_2019-1-13_14-8-17.png

50. Outdoor Dauber

Blog Posts:
    I should have gotten some pictures, but I fried / broiled a couple 1 1/2" thick pork chops at the Central PA gathering this weekend!

Guttersnipe and central joe like this.