Do You Have A Side Hustle?

Discussion in 'General Bushcraft Discussion' started by Watcher of the Woods, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Sandcut

Sandcut Sed ego sum homo indomitus Vendor Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I know where there's an opening for a taste tester in a chocolate covered pickle factory.

2. icemancometh

icemancometh Stuck in Suburbia Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I am a locksmith/safe technician by day. I occasionally do work on the side in the same field. I charge about double what I make at work.

My eldest son does HVAC during the week and frequently does it on Saturdays as well.

3. TWill

TWill Guide

Blog Posts:
    I enjoy serving wood smoked pork shoulder for family and church get togethers but doing the jump from bbq'ing as a hobby and doing catering is not one I am ready to step into. Have any of you taken a skill like that and made it into a side income? People always tell me I should open a restaurant but no thanks for all the hassle of rules and regs that come with it. I see food trucks and that is a trend for now but that is a commitment of a lot of capital. If I was taking money for bbq by the pound and some customer lets it sit in the sun all afternoon until serving it to their guests that evening do I get to pay for all the gut blow that everyone has? I think I'd rather just serve it at private events and either be the host or have the church cover the cost of the meat if we organized it that way. At least then I am still watching the holding temps and serving conditions.

4. Don Robison

Don Robison Seeker of Knowledge Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I grew up with grandparents who owned and operated restaurants(her) and gas stations(him) I could never do either one. I love to cook and I'm good, but you're correct it's a ton of commitment to do it right. My grandma started her day Mon-Fri at 0400 to get ready for her diner to open for breakfast and worked there until 1600 when her trusted helper took over for closing an clean up. Then she drove to her other restaurant that was only open for dinner and drinks and worked there from 1630 until midnight after closing it at 2300. On Saturday she got to sleep in until 0500 and on Sunday only the dinner place was open from 1500-2200. She did this schedule for close to 30 years before they sold everything and bought a hotel.
    I have nothing but respect for anyone who works in the food industry at any level. It's long, hard, often smelly and little thanks work days.

5. marbleman

marbleman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    @TWill I have never done it, but scaling up food for the public is fraught with peril. To officially sell food, your state/county/city/province/district/country/planet can have many laws. I had family that made a nice candy thing, wanted to sell it at a large public gathering. They had to 'officially' produce it in a place with three stainless steel sinks. They wound up renting a local restaurant's kitchen, but only after hours. For them, this meant after 11pm. Public food liability could mean insurance, blahblah.

The best public food violation I ever experienced? I used to play music, by a river every Sunday. It was never advertised. It was a campground, the couple that lived there sold burgers/brats/beer (the three B's of the Midwest). They violated many laws, but never had a problem (nor got caught). One time we had 300 people, it was great. No musicians here, but a crowd shot beside the river.

river.jpg

@Harper OK, your parents were cool!

6. chasntuna

chasntuna Guide

Blog Posts:
    I've built and repaired fishing rods and reels over the years, mostly to fund fishing expeditions. Also built and repaired golf clubs, years ago before I got married, repaired a lot of cars and even had a mobile oil change gig for a bit.

7. Chewuch

Chewuch Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Retired now. But I restore 1930's Philco and E.H. Scott tube radios, and railroad-grade pocket watches.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  8. JC1

JC1 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'm more qualified as a custom bra fitter but anything to do with chocolate cant be too bad :D

9. Northwest Axe

Northwest Axe Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Addition to my previous side hustle post.
    Had a husband and wife that I did a lot of chainsaw work/general land clearing for a few years off and on for $20. Well since I had my son I haven't had much time for these jobs and mostly stick to selling firewood. Well they contacted me and wanted me to come back so I agreed. They now pay me $40 an hour!! Never asked, they just know I'm busy and they believe I'm worth it. Needless to say my schedule is a little more open now for side work lol

10. tomme boy

tomme boy Guide

Blog Posts:
    101_0023_zpsd3361f33.jpg
    I was making a killing a few years ago when the scrap metal prices were high. We had a DNR gun range about 15 miles south of me. I would go there 3 to 4 times a week at night for a few hours and sift out a few hundred pounds of bullets out of the berms.

This is the trammel I built to sift the dirt out of the bullets. The dirt drops out the bottom and the bullets run out the end. I would then take the bullets home to melt the lead out of the jacketed bullets. I would save some of the lead for my own use. I would take the copper jackets of the bullets to the scrap yard. I was getting around $3/lb for it at the time. I was averaging around 30-40lb of copper every week. And around 600-800lbs of lead. Lead was paying around $0.45/lb

Not to bad for around 3-4 hours a night a few times a week

Guy, SideshowRaheem, MrFixIt and 6 others like this.
  11. IA bbmw

IA bbmw Scout

Blog Posts:

If we all got together we could probably take over the world...

12. Watcher of the Woods

Watcher of the Woods Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Thought about starting a side business helping people eliminate extra crap from their homes. Do you think that is something that people would pay for?

13. buckfynn

buckfynn Old Geezer Lifetime Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Yep! I know folks that are doing it the Treasure Valley. Big bucks in it if you do it right.

14. Sawdustdave

Sawdustdave Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I used to teach piano and voice, with an occasional guitar lesson thrown in. Not now - seems being a guy it's hard to get students.

A friend says I should sell the little guys I've carved, and any spoons carved or bowls turned. But I guess a bad experience I had making a play table for friends many years ago turned me off to that. I was asked to make the table, with a rolling chest under it for storage. Bought the oak, did the build to specs. Asked $200 for the finished product, which was material cost. They were shocked! And he is an engineer who has done lots of building/electrical/plumbing work as well. Figured he'd at least know that wood's not cheap...

LazyPK, MrFixIt, RavenLoon and 3 others like this.
  15. Robedsubset

Robedsubset Scout

Blog Posts:
    I’ve done landscaping and lawn mowing over the years. I usually don’t seek it out but do it when asked. The extra money is nice. Keeps my hobbies funded

16. Foilist

Foilist Guide

Blog Posts:
    Sometimes I tutor Latin, but that's more of an extension of my day job. Otherwise, I do basic automotive work for friends. I tend to trade that for return favors rather than money, though.

17. Lazarusaurus

Lazarusaurus Idot Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I already have two jobs. Dunno if I need a third.

18. HoustonB77

HoustonB77 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I dont really have anything on the side but I HUSTLE at my main job. I work 60 plus hours a week and rarely take a lunch break.

19. Matthew Post

Matthew Post Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I work overtime lol. If I’m going to make money it will be in the thing I’m proficient in. Starting a business usually involves assuming some risk and more fail than succeed so you really need a niche and be passionate about what you are doing. If getting out of debt is your only goal I would ask your boss for more hours or work on finding a better paying job. If you are willing to relocate the world is your oyster and sometimes you have to move to a more economically prosperous area

20. EternalLove

EternalLove Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'm still working on a main hustle! ;)

21. Black5

Black5 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Not me so much, but the wife runs the little farm while I'm stuck in the mental hospital ten months out of the year.

She buys and sells all kinds of cra...er...treasures she finds at yard sales, auctions, etc.
    A couple of weeks ago we sat outside the stockyards in the parking lot and peddled over $300 worth of rabbits and miscellaneous poultry.
    And she's ready with more bunnies next weekend.

P.S. Anybody in the market for a young steer ready to butcher??;)

22. Ken Fisher

Ken Fisher Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I’m working on a couple, not really “hustles”, more like “hobbies with benefits”. Between normal work, family, puppy and sleep, I haven’t found a lot of time to work on them.

23. FIELDCRAFTLTC

FIELDCRAFTLTC Roughian #10 Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I have a few thoughts and plans in my head. Just have to figure out a way to get them implemented.

24. Outdoor Dauber

Outdoor Dauber Roughian #3 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Hope you get well soon!! :D:D :rolleyes:

25. Outdoor Dauber

Blog Posts:
    My side hustle is logging. Mostly small parcels (5-15 acres) that the larger companies aren't interested in because the mobilization / demobilization chews up their profits.

MrFixIt, TWill, RavenLoon and 5 others like this.
  26. marbleman

Blog Posts:
    @Outdoor Dauber Hats off to you, that's hard work! I've only cut firewood, but I know the Real Deal logging is hard, and takes big-league equipment.

27. seasonofthewoods

seasonofthewoods Lost In the Woods Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    Mine is mostly axe restoratio , rehangs and sharpening. It averages our tk about 12 bucks an hour. Typically 25-60 an ax . Not counting my wedge , glue, belts , electrical etc.

Lately it's become hard to make a profit on heads as most people think they can do it lol and it's usually crap work not trying to be a jerk but I have guys epoxy heads on or use metal wedges without wood wedges to hold heads on. Dangerous and terrible.

None the less it's almost no profit at all but I enjoy it.most of the time I cover my costs.

MrFixIt, carpenter and Beach Hiker like this.
  28. Outdoor Dauber

Blog Posts:
    Thanks! I have an older friend that owns two JD 440 skidders; I pay him to skid the logs and me and another guy do all the cutting. Currently running a Husqvarna 372xp with 24" bar and skip link chisel chain. I step up to a 28" bar when cutting big timber (average of 25"+ dbh).

MrFixIt, Beach Hiker and marbleman like this.
  29. marbleman

Blog Posts:
    My dad has an old Homelite 5hp from the 1960's, with a 36" bar, he and my grandpa cleared some serious land before I was born. The dang thing is way to heavy, I have only run it once. I am not man enough!

The right tools for the job always is good! Is that old dog worth anything, is there some sort of Chainsaw Museum? We are trying to clean up several generations of 'stuff'. It's well taken care of, hate to scrap it.

30. Outdoor Dauber

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, there should be a market for it...eBay if nowhere else. Probably won't pay to ship the bar though.

MrFixIt, Beach Hiker and marbleman like this.
  31. Beach Hiker

Beach Hiker LB 42 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Many years ago my side hustle became my main hustle.
    Now I'm working on finding a new one... just for fun.

32. Raymond Eisele

Raymond Eisele Scout

Blog Posts:
    Worked most of my life as a mechanic, early on opened a pet store which I worked evenings. Hired my sister to work days. Later bouht a farm. Worked mechanic by day, farmer by night and weekends. Realized couln't do this forever and had to choose. Chose farm. Also breed and sold tropical fish and had a ffl for a while. Enjoyed every thing I did. Like to work.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  33. RavenLoon

RavenLoon axology student Supporter

Blog Posts:
    After I retired I made maple syrup commercially for seven years. I grossed about $10k a year for a couple months work but considered it break even due to equipment and other costs. Now I blow snow for a few driveways. I need a big tractor blower for my driveway anyway so I do them all at the same time.

Primordial, MrFixIt and Stone like this.
  34. Rockgod1619

Rockgod1619 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm a professional voice-over artist. It's fun, working on local stuff right now, but would love to get into mass-market stuff!

35. ATsawyer

ATsawyer Scout

Blog Posts:
    Saw filer. Not a big customer base but very few people who know how to do it correctly or are willing to invest the necessary time to learn. I'd guess that most people with side hustles start with some prior experience/knowledge base. Build off what you know.

fullsizeoutput_1254.jpeg

36. Bushcraft and Brews

Bushcraft and Brews Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I am an Amazon and Ebay reseller. My grandfather was a picker and I guess it's passed down to me. He always said "If you can buy something for $1 and sell it for $2 why wouldn't you?" It doesn't pay the bills, but it funds my hobbies!

37. Huey

Huey The Lurker Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Full time Law Enforcement, side is a Sergeant at a Department right next door. Cool perks go with it for my family so its worth it.

1911srule, Beach Hiker and RavenLoon like this.
  38. snapper

snapper Guide

Blog Posts:
    Still working but not for much longer; retirement arrives with the new year. As for a "side hustle," my wife operate a B&B in central NYS and I've kept my guide's license as well. Back when I was half time at the college I ran a small year round guiding business. Now I keep the license current so I can guide out of our B&B. So far, this has worked for us so we'll keep doing it while our health allows.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

39. sledjockey

sledjockey Skookum's Bro Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I gave up my side hustle back in November. Working 7 days a week for years just left me drained.

I did bouncing and private security. The hours just killed me considering how many hours I work at my main hustle.

Hope to get a few side projects going once I get the house all squared away. We are fixing what we couldn't afford to and have wanted to since we bought it 14 years ago. Finally it is actually worth something now that the economy is strong.

Beach Hiker and RavenLoon like this.
  40. Sandcut

Sandcut Sed ego sum homo indomitus Vendor Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I may be getting a side hustle to my side hustle.

I have an opportunity to take a class to get my CDL class B here in a couple weeks. I just need to see if I can fit it in during the time that it is being offered and call around to see if the opportunity to drive part time will offset the cost of then class.

41. Cascadian

Cascadian Guide

Blog Posts:
  42. DKR

DKR Guide

Blog Posts:
    While active duty I worked several part time jobs as a radio tech. Looking at retirement, I sat down and came up with a list of different things I could do.

Even employed, I wrote magazine articles 'on the side' - good for my toy money (high end cameras used to produce my magazine articles).

This lead to several tech writing 'gigs' - some lasting up to a year. Now have have a regular paying employment with a large local firm as a tech writer in the IT Division. - So, yeah, a side hustle can provide the kind of CV that can lead to better things.

43. Manzi1

Manzi1 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have 2 full time jobs, my side hustle is re-purposing discarded equipment to keep the two full time jobs going. LOL, and making do with whats at hand.

44. Ol Grizz

Ol Grizz Scout

Blog Posts:
    I joke with friends that I am "self-under-employed". Everything I do is a side hustle. Currently (to make money) I do [A] freelance writing for businesses (sales brochures, reports, website content, blogs, employee training materials, etc), work with individuals as a health coach, and [C] own/operate a temporary store of camping/survival goods at weekend gun and outdoor shows. For extra food, I have a small homestead of chickens and fruit/vegetable garden, supplemented with extensive hunting and fishing. I like to stay busy.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  45. Panzer

Panzer Prepared Wanderer Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
  46. Hawkce541

Hawkce541 Tracker

Blog Posts:

How to become a millionaire woodworker...…...start off as a billionaire.

Pacer01, Beach Hiker, Sandcut and 4 others like this.
  47. The Woodsrunner

The Woodsrunner Possum Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    Once every few months, the small machine shop in Texas (where I worked from age 15-18) flies me back for a few weeks to work, making aftermarket classic Mustang parts. Cheaper than trying to train in a new kid. Pays well, plus I find the grit and grime therapeutic, so I can't complain. I guess that counts as a side hustle now.

Trying to manage some stuff with my main gig with the goal of being able to work part time at a local machine shop specializing in ammo reloading equipment. That would be a sweet gig to hone my metal working skills.

Always wanted to learn Latin in high school, but just never had the time...

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  48. The Woodsrunner

The Woodsrunner Possum Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    Huge CONGRATS, Cheryl!

49. Luke Dupont

Luke Dupont Scout

Blog Posts:
    I was thinking of doing woodworking on the side before I learned that nobody wants to pay even the material costs, let alone for all of the work that goes into actually designing and building the project.
    Everyone is just too used to ultra cheap MDF furniture from China :(

NJStricker, Pacer01 and Beach Hiker like this.
  50. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    You could start a business to assemble such furniture for people? :)

True story:
    Years ago I was asked by the owner of a castle about doing some cabinet work. A real castle. In a nearby town. A guy bought an actual castle, had it dismantled and brought here and reassembled. I get to the place and he leads me into the kitchen......where I find a ten dollar piece of mdf crap he wanted me to assemble. I was stunned, that the owner of an actual castle wanted something like that in his kitchen.