Do you "really" know your knife laws?

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by alukban, Oct 31, 2015.

1. freebirdfb

freebirdfb Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Don't forget that you have state laws and city laws can be more restrictive. In regards to the op about knife blade lengths. Missouri has a 4" blade length. I love my kukri but there are times taking a tomahawk is a better choice.

Madwell and alukban like this.
  2. vdeal

vdeal Guide

Blog Posts:
    Didn't read the entire thread but you can check your state knife laws here.

The WV code states the following:

alukban and Morrow7x like this.
  3. ClovisMan

ClovisMan Bushcrafter with a Bushmaster Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Texas recently changed its knife laws. If you are over 18 you can legally open carry anything...even a sword. :)

pickin_grinnin, kronin323 and alukban like this.
  4. Morrow7x

Morrow7x Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I browsed a couple knife law sites and am now more confused than ever! :)

"...a knife is defined as a knife having a blade longer than..." So a knife with a blade shorter than... isn't a knife? What is it then? Or it is a knife again once it's concealed in the wrong county? Goofy stuff like that...

I think I preferred my blissful ignorance! ;-)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    alukban likes this.
  5. TrespassersWilliam

TrespassersWilliam Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    NH has preemption. No knife laws. No local ordinances.

Hundreds showed up armed with rifles to the statehouse when that Bloomberg guy from NYC tried to bring his laws here.

We get VIPs passing through because of the presidential primary. One guy I know was almost tackled by the Secret Service because he was open carrying a pistol in the same park Obama was giving a speech. The local cops waived them off. Executive order followed about carrying weapons within a 100 yards of VIPs with SS protection.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    ManyHammers and alukban like this.
  6. MT_Fin

MT_Fin Axe'aholic

Blog Posts:
    Not to much to gripe about in MT comparatively, but I think the restrictions on auto’s is silly.

7. Bob_Spr

Bob_Spr Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Georgia got a new law last year. To conceal carry any weapon with a blade length 12" or longer, you must have a concealed weapons permit. But open carry - no restrictions. A few years, we did away with cities and counties having more restrictive laws, everything is under state law.

8. ManyHammers

ManyHammers Guide Banned

Blog Posts:
    I had to go see President Clinton speak at the Norfolk Naval Base 1 Apr 98,the Secret Service didn’t really care about my Leatherman. Nice folks.

9. alukban

alukban Guide

Blog Posts:
    Sandcut and Mr. Tettnanger like this.
  10. Sandcut

Sandcut Sed ego sum homo indomitus Vendor

Blog Posts:
    alukban and Mr. Tettnanger like this.
  11. Outdoor Dauber

Outdoor Dauber Roughian #3 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    We should give Philly to NJ....

alukban and Sandcut like this.
  12. LMT66

LMT66 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My states laws changed last year but that website’s page for us has not updated since October 2017. I’d be careful reading anything other than your states specific laws on your states website.

alukban likes this.
  13. Sandcut

Sandcut Sed ego sum homo indomitus Vendor

Blog Posts:
    No way!

As much as I dislike going to Philly, it's ours! LOTS of important history coming out of that place, including the Voyage of Discovery, Declaration of Independence, etc., etc.

We could start working with Knife Rights to have knife preemption legislation passed, thus taking back our historic (albeit smelly) city.

14. HoustonB77

HoustonB77 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Pretty much anything under 5.5 inches is legal here. That being said I have never herd of any knife law being enforced in Texas unless the person was doing something stupid.

alukban and Mr. Tettnanger like this.
  15. Outdoor Dauber

Outdoor Dauber Roughian #3 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Well....how about we keep the historic district? :rolleyes:

alukban likes this.
  16. CSM1970

CSM1970 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Texas knife laws: ayup....that’s prolly legal until we tell you it ain’t. Open carry a sword ? Yup. Automatic? Yup. Bowie? Naturally. Tomahawk? Yup. Machete? Yup. A wooden club? Oh, hell no! You wanna hurt somebody son?

alukban and kronin323 like this.
  17. kronin323

kronin323 the barbarian Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Actually, that's changed. Or does in a couple of weeks, on Sept. 1st.

Since the new laws went into effect Sept 2017, everything you just said has been accurate with one exception - you couldn't carry a tomahawk. Axe yes, tomahawk no.

Reason being, even though there's no longer such thing as an illegal knife, a tomahawk was explicitly named as a kind of club, which, as you said, was illegal to carry. Also, knives with knuckles were still illegal because the knuckles were illegal.

But this spring they passed a new law removing those restrictions, which goes into effect Sept 1st, 2019. And it isn't that they now legalized tomahawks and knives with knuckles. What they did was strike out the language that made knuckles and clubs illegal. So, that wooden club you mention is now legal to carry in Texas (or will be in a couple of weeks), as well as any other type of club or knuckles doodad. I'm lovin' it.

18. CSM1970

CSM1970 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the update, kronin. I knew tomahawks were no longer going to be forbidden but never read the mechanics of the legislation. I have 3 hawks but only carried one when volunteering at Washington on the Brazos as a Texas militiaman. I don’t have much use for a club anyway. My Damascus Bowie with the 13” blade is just too heavy to carry all day.

alukban and kronin323 like this.
  19. Seacapt.

Seacapt. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    No, we don't have any in Maine.

alukban and Outdoor Dauber like this.
  20. charlesmc2

charlesmc2 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Waco Texas social security office. I had a knife (Spyderco Dragonfly) clipped to my pocket. A dragonfly is quite small. Officer motioned me over and asked me to take it back to my car. Of course that office is one of the gun free places, er, shooting galleries that are quite rare in TX.

I took the knife to the car. He was just doing his job. But how have we allowed this to happen? Maybe by just meekly submitting as I did.

alukban likes this.
  21. Foilist

Foilist Guide

Blog Posts:
    So every time I've woodsloafed with a Skrama on my pack I've been a scofflaw. Whatever, CT.

alukban likes this.
  22. kronin323

kronin323 the barbarian Supporter

Blog Posts:
    With current Texas law, there is a short list of places where you can't carry a knife with a blade over 5.5". This is because, just like two weeks before they were voting on the 2017 law that removed all the knife restrictions, some nutjob went all stabby-stabby on the UT campus with a KA-BAR. So they added that provision to prevent uproar over that incident from killing the bill altogether. And it worked, it passed. Expect in some future year somebody to propose removing those restrictions, too.

But, that's a restriction imposed by Texas law (really, the only one). What you also have to deal with is places where carrying ALL knives is prohibited by FEDERAL law. Such as, past security at airports. Or at Federal gov't buildings, such as, say, a Social Security office. Though Texas law may not be the source of those restrictions, it also does not attempt to circumvent Federal law for those areas. Nor do I think they could, really.

BTW something similar happened to my wife, I once gave her a Kershaw Chive (pretty small knife) for her to keep in her purse, she got busted going through security at a Fed building and had to go put it in her car. Then she never carried it again...

alukban likes this.