Doing it right, the first time.

Discussion in 'At the Workshop' started by gohammergo, Mar 23, 2019.

1. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I don't want to start the group off with negative stuff, :) , but ran into this last week.

My son and I are finishing off a basement in a house just purchased by a client of ours. This is a log home with a walkout basement. When the electrician pulled insulation out of the walkout wall he found water damage. And wet wood. The new owner asked me to investigate.

I had done some work there last year, and noticed a nice stainless steel threshold on the upper patio door.

IMG_20190321_125533007-540x960.jpg

This happened to be right above where the water damage is....:33:

Took it off.

IMG_20190321_125757527_HDR-540x960.jpg

Spray foam and caulking. Never a good sign.

IMG_20190321_130630735_HDR-540x960.jpg

The old wooden threshold was ready to fall out.

IMG_20190321_134452422_HDR-540x960.jpg

Removed the foam and could see right into the basement. There was no deck flashing or door flashing installed. I had to remove almost 30' of log siding by cutting with my chainsaw every 16" or so and popping the chunks out.

IMG_20190321_144944693-540x960.jpg

I spent 6 hours doing this. My son bent up some flashing on his brake and we will install it next week. I will add more pictures later.

The seller of this home hid the damage from the new owner. If the electrician had not caught this, we would possibly have buried it behind the drywall unless we found it. There was no indication of water coming into the wall in the interior.

2. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead LB#42 Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    That’s terrible, glad you found it before it got worse.
    Mold is no laughing matter...

3. gohammergo

Blog Posts:
    No, it isn't. And they have three children too, and we are putting a bedroom there for the youngest.

And, in my typical "look at the bright side" fashion, I got three days of woodstove fuel from the siding I pulled off. :)

4. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead LB#42 Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Nice!

5. roadwarrior

roadwarrior Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I run into this all the time. Even on newer homes, I just don't know where their brain is. With the ease of using a brake these days you can't go wrong and there is also Ice and Water to help. Work is never apples to apples.

Beach Hiker, J. Pierce and gohammergo like this.
  6. gohammergo

Blog Posts:
    I always say, "Do it right, or do it twice" I used to tell the guys on my crew that if they skipped on doing something that they know they should do, that they should start looking for a new job right away.

I have gone back to places we built, to do remodels and such, and found a few things hidden that kinda stirred me up. That's one of the things I always drilled into my son. I don't want someone coming to a job I did years ago and wondering what kind of clown was swinging a hammer there.:)

7. J. Pierce

J. Pierce Perpetually Off Topic, Sorry. Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've been out of construction for quite a few years now, but flashing and water control was always one of my pet peeves.
    It just don't cost that much more to do it right.
    But it costs a hell of a lot to do it wrong.

beacon, Beach Hiker and Winterhorse like this.
  8. Winterhorse

Winterhorse Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Yep. It just makes me mad and sad when I run across that sort of thing.
    When I see that I know that who ever built that didn’t know what he was doing. And who ever covered it up was dishonest.

Beach Hiker and J. Pierce like this.
  9. roadwarrior

roadwarrior Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Gohammergo, my son worked with me for years and then left to become a Marine. I am proud of him but it kills me daily to not have him with me and take over the family buisness.

10. Scotchmon

Scotchmon Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Wait.... what? Are you saying spray foam isn’t the end all cure all replacement for proper flashing???
    Good on you, John for “digging deeper” and finding the problem!
    At my sister’s place up north they had some work done(new kitchen counter top, sink, fixtures, etc. The work was performed by a local guy who had done some work on the place prior to their ownership.
    Apparently the carpenter(????) was familiar with the place. At least he knew where the liquor cabinet is as upon our return we found all the bottles left with about a 1/2” left in them!
    I happened to visit the place soon after the above mentioned work was performed . So I’m there, and I flip the breaker for the well pump, and go to the new kitchen sink and turn on the faucet. Immediately I hear what sounds like water hitting the ground and no water at the faucet. I then shut off the pump and go to the crawl space to find the guy never did the final connection. Later we noticed more water marks below the new sink, some of the pvc fittings weren’t glued, and the J trap installed incorrectly.
    Needless to say, sis’ and BIL have since changed the locks and found a new local contractor.
    The new guy reroofed all the buildings.
    BIL noticed some nails around the garage and picked up at least 5lbs of nails. He brought this to the contractor’s attention. The guy was quite upset as he had specific guys hired for site clean up. He sent them back for another magnet sweep around the buildings.
    Other than the nail issue, the new crew did nice work replacing some rotted wood bottoms of the 90 year old vertical log siding.
    I do remind BIL that I know a guy(you, John!) if they’re ever dissatisfied with the new contractor!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019 at 7:15 AM
    beacon likes this.