Double bit axe

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by gila_dog, Dec 17, 2012.

1. gila_dog

gila_dog Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    What is the purpose for a double bit axe? Are the two edges sharpened differently? I have an old True Temper double bit axe, stamped Kelly Works. Any knowledge would be appreciated.

2. woodsghost

woodsghost Guide

Blog Posts:
    You can put a different edge on each side, or you can put the same edge on each side, and chop for twice as long without sharpening.

3. Double Ott

Double Ott Guide

Blog Posts:
    Many had a thick edge on one side and called it a grubbing edge. It was used to chop close to the ground, were one might encounter sand and dirt on the stump. Or used if knots were encountered. The other edge was more refined, for cutting clean, knot free wood.

It also has a sweet feel and balance to it when you swing one. Try it you'll like it. Kellys are a fine vintage axe.

Tom

4. Bax 40

Bax 40 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Folks often sharpen one side for chopping and one side thicker for splitting, in my opinion the best thing is how well they are balanced making a more accurate axe.
    You have a very good axe in hand and it is well worth rehabbing if needed, they are my favorites.

Great minds Tom!!
    Larry

5. crookedknife

crookedknife Guide

Blog Posts:
    Because of its balance, the double bit is the most accurate axe ever made, therefore the most efficient. Accuracy everything when doing serious chopping. If you look at old photos of logging before the widespread use of the chain saw, you will see nothing else. I have spent years cutting firewood with axes - tried single bits and double side by side - the double bit is clearly fastest and easiest. That being said, for safety reasons, I always carry a single bit for camp use.

6. backwoodsamerican

backwoodsamerican Guide

Blog Posts:
    these are no good at all. I'd be happy to take it off your hands so its not in your way and you don't have to go out of your way to scrap it.:4:

but like everyone else has said, balance , two edges.... Etc they just rock!