Double Handed Fly Casting Demo Day

Discussion in 'Events' started by werewolf won, Jun 20, 2018.

1. werewolf won

werewolf won TANSTAAFL Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    The Bear’s Den in Taunton MA is putting on a demo day specifically on two handed rods June 30th from 1:00 to 5:00. I have every intension of being there some to most of the time. Scott puts of a good show, lots of vendors and opportunity to try rods, usually some good show pricing too. If two handed rods interest you, this is the place to look them over in person. In recent years I’ve become almost an exclusive two handed caster, after over four decades of singlehanded casting I really took to the double handed rod.

Shoot me a PM if you'd like to meet up at the show.

2. MaineFlyfishingGuide

MaineFlyfishingGuide Tracker

Blog Posts:
    A friend of mine has been into two hand rods for the last year. As addicted as he is , it tells me to stay away from two handers. I can’t afford to get hooked.....

Sounds like a good show, and I like the idea of a summer fly fishing show, seems like all NE shows are crammed into February and March.

x39 and werewolf won like this.
  3. x39

x39 Hyperborean Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've fished 14' spey rods, you can handle an incredible amount of line with one.

werewolf won likes this.
  4. werewolf won

werewolf won TANSTAAFL Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I have a big Loop brand spey rod that I use mostly for straight overhead casting when I fish in the surf. It’s also the rod I use when I go west to fish for salmon in New York. What I really use most often is a light switch rod by Beulah. It’s a six weight and only 10 feet long but it can be fished one handed in a traditional way or two handed to spey cast or overhead cast. It’s been my go to rod for several seasons now.

x39 likes this.
  5. MaineFlyfishingGuide

MaineFlyfishingGuide Tracker

Blog Posts:
    90% of my fishing is on single handed 10&11’ 3 and 4 weight rods with a modified euro nymphing setup. Because Maine law requires the fly line must propel the fly, a true euro setup is not possible (mono to reel) most of my casting is very targeted to particular current seams and then I establish a tight line drift. Incredibly effective, both on coastal rivers and Western Maine / Rangeley area rivers.
    My friend who has become a Spey junkie uses it on the wider a Kennebec and Penobscot rivers. I can imagine it is very effective for swinging streamers especially on the far banks.