Dove Hunt 2019 hot weather camo

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Gathering' started by cstrickland, Aug 20, 2019.

1. cstrickland

cstrickland Scout

Blog Posts:
    Well we are just 11 days away from opening season here in Ohio. Dove is one of my favorite sports. For me it is a little social gathering to catch up with some friends I don't see nearly enough, and to bag some really great tasting meat.

One problem I have always had ( this goes for deer and other game to) is the early season hunt and the hot humid weather we can get here in Ohio. Last year I went in the evening and it was 95°. I wore a tshirt and shorts . It worked ok but I am asking the collective is there something better clothes wise, to allow me to enjoy the hunt more and remain cooler . I REALLY hate hot weather and humidity !!

Sosteve and pab1 like this.
  2. GKiT

GKiT Guide

Blog Posts:
    rural America but not as far out as I would like
    Camo isn’t necessary. Brown or green short sleeve shirt and similar long pants or shorts. Being in the right spot and not moving until you mount the gun to shoot is what matters. I keep a wet Frog Togg chilly pad in a cooler and periodically put it around my neck. It will cool you down better than anything I have found.

Sosteve, SmilinJoe, CSM1970 and 2 others like this.
  3. Mikem

Mikem Scout

Blog Posts:
    Normally opening day is blistering hot and humid here. Cotton is ok, it gets heavy when it’s wet. Synthetic materials do wick air and heat off you much better (long pants and shirt). Camo is great, have noticed flat earth tone colors do just fine, tan, OD green, Browns, depending on the background your in. I try to get against trees/brush with some shade to break up my silhouette and stay out of the sun as much as possible.

Sosteve, SmilinJoe and pab1 like this.
  4. boomchakabowwow

boomchakabowwow Guide

Blog Posts:
    i have a perforated fabric camo shirt i wear. its decades old and still going. getting tattered. it isnt cotton but some fast drying synthetic.

Sosteve likes this.
  5. GKiT

GKiT Guide

Blog Posts:
    rural America but not as far out as I would like
    There’s always this,
    9C1417BC-1B62-4E22-AC4B-142E3D0320EF.jpeg

6. mountainman11b

mountainman11b Supporter Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Sitka has some camo t shirts that are pretty lightweight and cool. I haven’t wore it in this heat but it was really nice during turkey season. And if you don’t want to spend $60 on a t shirt, then Walmart has some lightweight t shirts in their sports wear section for like $7 they have an olive drab color that would work pretty well....

I’ll be in one of the above mentioned shirts and a kilt for the opener this year.

I’ll also be bringing a camo umbrella and a battery neck fan because I’m a big baby

Sosteve likes this.
  7. rocketbomb

rocketbomb Guide

Blog Posts:
    Camo isnt totally necessary. Light synthetic shirts and pants in earth tones work fine. That said this year I'll be wearing a kuiu tiburon shirt. Pricey but a very nice warm weather shirt. I do tend to wear long sleeve camo shirts while dove hunting even though I preach that it's not necessary.

Sosteve likes this.
  8. cstrickland

cstrickland Scout

Blog Posts:
    thanks everyone for the ideas so far. I have hunted dove for a while so I understand you dont need camo. Earth tones and stillness rule the roost there. I was looking more for material or brand suggestions. It looks like next week should be mid seventies and nice so opening day should much cooler this year.

Sosteve likes this.
  9. rocketbomb

rocketbomb Guide

Blog Posts:
    In that case, pretty much any good synthetic shirt should do just fine.

Sosteve likes this.