Down'n'Dirty Canteen Cups (Video)

Discussion in 'Cooking & Water Purification' started by Harper, Mar 12, 2019 at 10:43 PM.

1. Harper

Harper Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    ---

Blackie talks about USGI Canteen Cups in the beginning of the video.

He has a neat trick and observations about baking and steaming starting at 7 min 14 sec. Personally, I avoid cooking in aluminum foil but I know that some people don't mind it. I carry aluminum for use as a makeshift windscreen, base layer, etc.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019 at 11:26 PM
  2. Outdoor Dauber

Outdoor Dauber Roughian #3 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Watched this earlier tonight. My canteen cup is Stainless.

3. rurik

rurik Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have almost exactly the non butterfly handle version of this, I am using the stainless steel Australian Cup (I think it is better made than anything else I have seen), the original Canteen Shop stand/grill and the HC lid. I have boiled, steamed and baked with it all over the place and have never felt the need to put coals on top of the lid. For baking I make a ring of hot coals around the stand but not touching it then put my cup with lid on the stand. Since I worked out my method; my food has always come out how I wanted with beautifully cooked, browned tops for my cakes and I have roasted meat like this as well . When putting coals on the lid I found it burned as there is already enough heat going into the pot as it isn't that big. For boiling I cannot see why you would go top down heat and even though I tend to steam my veggies in a foil envelop (former scout) I could not see why you would want to cook them top down.

I sometimes think videos like this are made just so a youtuber has something to upload.

Harper likes this.