Driving safety

Discussion in 'Preparedness' started by Usingmyrights, May 11, 2018.

1. Usingmyrights

Usingmyrights Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    A few of you may have seen this on Instagram, but I wanted to share this here as well. It's a bit lengthy, but I want to try to include as much information as possible. passed single vehicle accident while leaving work yesterday. No one had stopped yet and going country road speeds, I orginally just thought that he had run into the ditch. I turned around to see if I could assist. The guy was on the phone (I assumed with 911, but am unsure as he later said that he didn't call).
    I could tell that he went into the ditch/edge of the woods at a decent speed most people go around 65mph or so. He had a cut to his foward that needed some attention so I told him that I had a FAK and went to retrieve it. He proceeds to get one out of his trunk (looked to be one he built, but was still missing some items). He also had an axe and an Eagle Scout sticker in the window. So I hoped that he had some medical training, but either it wasn't that great or his head injury caused lapse in judgment. He starts trying to sloppily bandage his forehead, while I examine the back if his head and found some superficial cuts, but a lot of glass. I ended up helping him bandage his forehead because he wasn't doing a good job of it, but he wouldn't let me redo it better. (I would have used butterfly bandages or at the very least a large nonstick, vs a gauze pad sloppily taped on.)
    Another car stopped and the county SO ended up showing up and called EMS after telling the guy he wouldn't be billed unless they transported him. I spoke with the emergency responders about what I had observed. Basically the he had been up and about, but seemed a bit off on some of the things he was talking about. (He later wanted to remove the bandage because it had "bled through", even though it hadn't and as an eagle scout he should have known not to remove a bled through bandage, but just add on top of it). I also showed them where his head impacted the windshield, one didn't believe me until I showed them the hair.
    Anyway, on to the point. Buckle up, it could have saved a head injury, I understand that FAKs can be bulky, but they do no good if they'r in the trunk and you can't get to it (he could, but that's not always the case). Don't drive tired. The initial thought, based on the information provided was that he fell asleep at the wheel. It's been said that tired driving is just as bad as drunk driving. Even if you have training, if you've experienced a head injury, it might be wise to listen to other trained individuals when it comes to basic care, as you may not be in the best position to determine the needed care.
    I snapped a few photos at the end as LE and EMS were taking over. I didn't get many photos because I was trying to limit the amount of people photographed and respect the drivers privacy.
    A view of the side of the car and the tree it hit. It was down in a ditch just off the main road.
    20180510_135038.jpg
    The top if the tree that snapped from the force of impact.
    20180510_134213.jpg

20180510_134231.jpg

Hair stuck in the windshield from where his head impacted it. Notice the impact points location. He really got slung across the car and was blessed that he wasn't injured worse.
    20180510_135025.jpg

2. Zunga

Zunga Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Good on you sir! Most importantly you kept your cool. Transferred important info. Despite a disbelieving emt. My experience. Knowing somthing and doing it when you really need to is a matter of training. He may have learned emergency first aid. But if it's not practiced often. With his bell severely rung, he would have to be well practiced, to be able to do it without thought. He got in his own way. But you stuck with him until he had more help. Bravo!:dblthumb:
    Cheers Jim

3. blind & lost

blind & lost Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    You did a good thing, and likely prevented further complications, good job!

Usingmyrights and Winterhorse like this.
  4. atlastrekker

atlastrekker Supporter Supporter Bushclass III Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Way to stick with him and make sure everything is ok @Usingmyrights! Skills are very perishable, and it doesn't take long to forget. That's why first aid and cpr cards are only goof for a short while. You have to keep up on it. My medical training is a bit higher than average for work, we have to take refresher courses every 5 years and it's pretty amazing what I have to relearn in that time period.

blind & lost and Usingmyrights like this.
  5. Vilke

Vilke Guide

Blog Posts:
    Good job sir!

blind & lost and Usingmyrights like this.
  6. Usingmyrights

Usingmyrights Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    It was actually the LE sgt that didn't believe me until I showed them the hair.
    I agree, practice as much as possible and refresh when you can/as needed.

Visually the wounds were mostly superficial, the worse would need some glue or sutures, but I'm shocked it wasn't worse.

I do as well. Not much, but first responder training is part of my job certications and we have to renew our CPR/AED training annually. I asked him about the eagle scout while examinin him as a way to build rapport and try to keep him calm. He said he got it in '16, but that doesn't add up with him saying that he was 21 later. Regardless, quality training, repetition and refreshers are a must.

blind & lost, atlastrekker and Zunga like this.