Driza Bone oilskin coat?

Discussion in 'Clothing' started by bigbore442001, Apr 25, 2016.

1. bigbore442001

bigbore442001 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Out of curiosity, how many people here wear oilskins?

Many years ago I bought a full length Driza Bone duster but had it modified by cutting the extra long length so it is easier to wear in a vehicle. I have worn it off and on but never for an extended period of time.

I never had the opportunity to wear it for a length of time but I was wondering how such a garment would do in a long term setting? Specifically, would it be a good choice for an ALONE contestant?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

2. Moondog55

Moondog55 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Stiff and heavy are the first things that come to mind
    Just out of interest didn't your coat have the turn up buttons on the inside so you could shorten the coat skirts if needed? My old one did
    Using one would really depend on the total circumstances and climate but probably tough enough to last; especially if you took a decent wax and repair kit.
    I'm not familiar with the rules for that competition
    Certainly no good for extended periods well below freezing, they get far too stiff when waxed up enough to be waterproof but I 'spose if they were newly waxed in the Spring by deep winter enough wax would have been worn off to allow it to soften up and be a little breathable
    I wear a LW Drizalite these days; almost as waterproof and a quarter the weight even if not as tough

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  3. field-expedient

field-expedient Misfit Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I have had an oilskin coat for exactly 16 years. Its heavy and smells bad but its tough as nails, stops the wind good, never soaked through, and probably the only coat I have that dont have holes in it. It would get my vote, dont have to worry about melting around a fire.

CampCowan likes this.
  4. MichaelBear

MichaelBear Bushmaster Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    I picked up a used Bushman Jacket which is lightweight grade. On ebay for fraction of price. That thing is super warm and totally awesome in the rain. My go to for past 2 or so years. I am extremely happy. I wore it in the winter with light sweater or over T-shirt in the summer. Very awesome stuff. Haven't found a need of reoiling it yet and original owner said he didn't do anything to it either. I'm on East Coast and rains quite often. Hope it helps. Thank you

CampCowan likes this.
  5. Code Red

Code Red Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Bought my wife one 20+ years ago. It is her "barn coat," and has spent its life messing with horses. She loves it and wouldn't part with it. Lots of rain and cool weather, but all of that time in the Southeast, so no serious cold and not much snow. Lots of rain.

6. wsdstan

wsdstan Guide

Blog Posts:
    My wife has a Barbour coat, I have a Filson Packer and a English waxed cotton similar to the Barbour. While all of them are waterproof to a great degree they will leak if subjected to long periods of hard rain. I reproof them every three or four years if they are used a lot. They are heavier than a Gore-tex shell but seem to be more resistant to tearing and snagging in the brush.

I have not watched the program, Alone, but in colder weather I would probably use the Filson with a warm sweater or down jacket under it. If it was warm weather the Barbour would probably be my choice as it is lighter in weight and just as tough.

7. sledjockey

sledjockey Skookum's Bro Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I used to use a Driza Bone and an Outback Outfitters when I was younger..... I outgrew them is why I don't still use one. I loved them and want something similar so much that I am working with someone to make me an oilskin anorak type pullover and some overpants for fall/winter.

While on horseback, I did find that the dusters would freeze up in really cold weather so I used to wear a long sleeve shirt underneath to keep the fabric off my skin if it did freeze. That was my only complaint, really.

8. Butler Ford

Butler Ford Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Tough it the word that comes to mind first, heavy is the second and dry third. When I retired from the army and my city kid wife and I moved back to the farm, she took up the calf feeding and care and general maintenance of that side of the farm. It has stood barbed wire, honey locust, briers without fail so far. Everyday winter wear over a sweatshirt and insulated bibs, rain, shine, snow, sleet and a few hail storms. After 25+ years it is still going strong and has a "patina" to die for. Reproofed it every 2-3 years it kept her dry except for some of the long days in the rain and then only somewhat damp.

BF

CampCowan likes this.
  9. Sgt. Mac

Sgt. Mac Elder

Blog Posts:
    Oilskin Duster is my go to rain coat and I like wearin my filson double tin cloth britches, Heavy yes but they wear like iron

CampCowan likes this.
  10. T. Pollock

T. Pollock T's Custom Outdoor Gear Vendor Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Any photos or video showing your oilskins guys? I'd love see them if it's OK with the OP and doesn't distract from the thread.

CampCowan likes this.
  11. CampCowan

CampCowan Wabi Sabi Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My dad just gave me his Driza bone duster. It is in great shape, probably from the late eighties I would imagine when my folks were big into breeding quarter horses. Looking at picking up some reproofing product. Will get a pic up soon.

LongChinJon and T. Pollock like this.
  12. CampCowan

CampCowan Wabi Sabi Supporter

Blog Posts:
    3F9563BB-B700-4439-BF30-16CD104E271E.jpeg
    Fits like a glove

13. Nightflyer

Nightflyer Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I like and use an old "fish skin" waterproof duster. These are the amber colored ones with the wool collars you see in the old westerns. I like that your legs stay dry too!