Dry Bags

Discussion in 'Paddling' started by CharClothed, Dec 3, 2017.

1. CharClothed

CharClothed Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Figured this was the best place for it, you know, with paddling and everything. I'm looking to replace my stuff sack for my sleeping bags with dry bags. Curious if any of you knew which brands to avoid and which brands to go for. For example. I'm looking at Sealine and also walmart ones. Which is best for the price?

Haggis and gohammergo like this.
  2. FreeMe

FreeMe Guide

Blog Posts:
    Don't know about the Walmart bags. Cheap ones I use are from Seattle Sports. PVC/nylon, I think, with roll top. They do fine on trips where it's just a matter of keeping bilge water out of the gear, and they wear well under rough use. They can leak a little in the roll top if they get pounded. For rougher trips where bags may be completely immersed and/or thrashed, look for something with an inner and outer roll seal or roll top with secondary securement or compression. I have some Outdoor Research bags with double seal that stay very dry, but they don't seem to make them anymore. Heavier whitewater calls for heavier bags. Look at bags from Sealine and NRS - those are the two brands I most commonly see in use for serious whitewater. If you're just looking for dry bags for backpacking, the current Outdoor Research stuff is lighter weight and will do the job.

CharClothed and SmilinJoe like this.
  3. Usingmyrights

Usingmyrights Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I haven't seen the double layer bags myself, but some roll tops buckle at the top, while others buckle at the sides on the bottom which offers some compression and seems to be more water resistant. May be a feature to look for.

FreeMe and CharClothed like this.
  4. OutnBacker

OutnBacker Scout

Blog Posts:
    All of the above.

5. Sandcut

Sandcut 3% Neanderthal Vendor

Blog Posts:
    I have a nice Sealine with shoulder straps and it's a great bag for longer canoe trips. For day trips in the canoe or kayaks the $10 Walmart 15L bags can't be beat. Me have multiples of these for everyone on the family.

6. GoFeesh

GoFeesh Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Sea to Summit are high on my list. Sealine are a very reputable brand as well.

Scotchmon likes this.
  7. CHREBA

CHREBA Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have the Same bag that goes with the ILBE . Made by Sealine with the air valve . It's a very nice bag . I pack my down bag , an Eddie Bauer Kokoram in it . Actually if I'm carrying the ILBE every thing goes in it . I can put just the bag in it open the valve and sit on it and get it to compress really compact and then close the valve and it stays compressed

Scotchmon likes this.
  8. Brook Trout

Brook Trout Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Have used the larger a Sealine ones on several canoe trips, and have been very pleased. Not sure if they changed up the design, or simply have different models, but the one I bought most recently wasn't as robust from the pack "frame" perspective as the one I bought several years ago. At the of the day, however, both held up to some pretty rigorous use last summer.

9. werewolf won

werewolf won TANSTAAFL Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I have a couple of Voyager ones that are from the 80’s and are still as watertight today as when they were new—except they might not be in business anymore. I used to buy from a company called Northwest River Supply (NRS). They always had really top quality gear, if they are still the company they were, I’d check them out and see what they are selling. They had their own branded stuff as well as others and stood behind everything.

10. Kelly W

Kelly W Scout

Blog Posts:
    I use a large sealine and really like it. I know it works exceptionally well. Don't ask me how I know. :)

11. xrayit

xrayit Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have all types of dry bags, my go to these days are the Zpacks CF bags, I like the silnylon dry bags from sea to summit and osprey. Found no issues with the walmart / outdoor products dry bags and use them from time to time.

12. FreeMe

FreeMe Guide

Blog Posts:
    Still are, near as I can tell. They are whitewater folks in a whitewater state. They know what works, because they use it. And it's an employee-owned company.

werewolf won and Scotchmon like this.
  13. Scotchmon

Scotchmon Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
  14. CHREBA

CHREBA Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have some old NRS gear from back in my kayak fishing days .

werewolf won likes this.
  15. Mikewood

Mikewood Guide

Blog Posts:
    Sealine Is good.
    Mine are west marine.
    Test them out by filling with water and letting them sit on some newspaper.

A dry sack is also a water bag.

16. Duncsquatch

Duncsquatch Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have a calcutta dry bag with a skull with a fish in his mouth, Works great.