DSLR Users, How Do You Deal With the Weight?

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Watcher of the Woods, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Watcher of the Woods

Watcher of the Woods Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Hey all, just got back from an awesome trip to the tetons. On the first day (14 miles) I took my DSLR along, barely used it, and cussed it the whole time for it's weight. The rest of the trip I took my iPhone 6 only, and used it for photos. I have been a camera freak for the last 10 years, but unless I can find a good way to carry its weight and start using it more, it's going to end up on eBay. Any ideas? My iPhone takes just good enough photos that I'm okay with it, but I still love the artistic use that I can get with my Canon 6D. Any and all input is appreciated!

central joe, Guy and alukban like this.
  2. redcanoe

redcanoe Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I hear you. I went with the micro 4/3 format, mine is Olympus, i'm happy with it...lets you get arty, change out lenses etc etc without breaking your back or taking a ton of space...if you look around on amazon you can often buy brand new cameras that are a model year or two old for a fraction of the cost..

Guy and central joe like this.
  3. NJHeart2Heart

NJHeart2Heart Backyard Bushcrafter

Blog Posts:
    With a heavy burden of guilt I have to confess.. I don't.. for that very reason.. It's soo heavy, and my smartphone is ALWAYS on me... though there are occasional moments when I curse the fact that I didn't bring the DSLR with me...

central joe likes this.
  4. central joe

central joe Guide

Blog Posts:
    I use Pentax Q 4/3, interchangeable lens and light weight. joe

Guy likes this.
  5. Guy

Guy Founder Staff Member Administrator Vendor

Blog Posts:
    I have a couple of Nikon DSLR's and had the same issue. I opted for a Nikon 1 V2 (used), with the FT-1 adapter. This adapter allows me to use my full frame lenses, and get an effective 2.7x crop from them. I can use smaller lenses to get the same effective zoom as the larger body. I also purchased an 18.5mm Nikon 1 lens, which is the 35mm equivalent of a full frame. The Nikon 1, 70-300mm lens gives me an effective equivalent to a 189-810mm telephoto.

I am pretty pleased with this setup and it is very portable on the motorcycle and a small shoulder bag or belt pouch setup.

central joe likes this.
  6. Watcher of the Woods

Watcher of the Woods Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the input all. I may have figured out a way to rig it onto my hip belt to put weight there instead of on my shoulders, which has been far from ideal.

Guy likes this.
  7. DarrylM

DarrylM Guide

Blog Posts:
    My hunny takes a lot of pics on her phone, the camera software has a lot of manual settings that she can adjust to compose her shot. It's an LG droid. She plays with color temp, white balance, aperature, shutter speed and such. It's not the same as lenses, but she does get some cool shots with it.

8. Edgeman

Edgeman Scout

Blog Posts:
    I wish you luck finding a solution. I went from carrying a DSLR camera, to a small "point & shoot" digital camera. Over the last few years, I typically only shoot with my iPhone because it's always with me.

9. beacon

beacon Simul justus et peccator Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    It depends on the purpose for the outing.
    For some outings, the purpose is photography, and for these, there is no compromise.
    For others, the purpose is simply to get out and enjoy the wilds; For these, a camera phone will suffice.

I treat it like many other pieces of kit; The trip dictates the load-out.

DarrylM and atlastrekker like this.
  10. stillman

stillman Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
  11. atlastrekker

atlastrekker Overlanding Bushwhacker Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I switched to fuji-x and my back thanks me every outing.

12. denizen

denizen Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Another Fuji user here. The size and weight were an important part of the criteria. It is still heavier than a phone, but the quality of the pictures seems worth it.

13. atlastrekker

atlastrekker Overlanding Bushwhacker Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Especially if you have a newer body, they are very impressive little boxes indeed!

I mostly carry a X-Pro 1 with the 18mm lens in the woods, so it's not too bad at all. Someday when I stop buying knives, guns, and 4x4 parts I'll go buy an X-Pro 2. The thing is, I only use the pictures from my good cameras in my gallery or on Flickr. For sites like this I'll use the phone. Usually, I'm too eager to share my progress here or too lazy to edit when it's not really needed anyways.

14. Black Feather

Black Feather Hunter Gatherer Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Another Micro 4/3 user here. I am more than satisfied with the quality of photos it takes compared to a APS-C or full frame sensor, it just suffers a bit in low light.

I shoot a Panasonic G85 with a 100-300 II lens (for wildlife), as well as my 12-60 lens, and extra batteries. All of it together is very manageable in terms of weight. I hardly notice it. If you aren't up for switching cameras completely (which is understandable), then you have to find a way to manage the weight so it isn't constantly on your neck or in your hand. Here are a few ideas:

1. Take the weight off of your neck with a good shoulder strap. There is a company called Peak Design that makes fantastic camera attachments. This is a bombproof and comfortable shoulder strap:
    https://www.peakdesign.com/product/straps/slide

2. Clip the camera to your backpack shoulder strap or belt -- I have one of these attachments and you honestly do not feel the weight at all when it's on your backpack strap or hip. Plus, it has a very quick release system so you aren't fumbling with it when you come across a good picture that won't last long (wildlife!)
    https://www.peakdesign.com/product/clips/capturepro

I understand that these are expensive, but you are paying for quality and support of a small US business. Also, all of their equipment has a lifetime warranty I believe.

3. Switch to a M4/3 system or invest in a good point and shoot. There are some VERY good options on the market right now. Along those same lines, the new lineups of iPhone and Samsung have amazing cameras, definitely worth looking at and you can upgrade your phone as well, if that's an option.

All the best!

Guy and atlastrekker like this.
  15. Brown85

Brown85 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I make my living with a camera, the last thing I want to do is lug DSLR gear into the woods with me! iPhone 6s is all I need to capture decent images. Although, I have found myself looking very seriously at a Fujifilm mirrorless camera as a light weight option for family stuff where the iPhone may not be enough.

I would suggest that if you are dead set on taking a DSLR, look to cut weight with your glass. Pretty sure Canon makes a 35 or 50mm pancake lens that can't weigh much. And if you use a battery grip, maybe leave it at home.

16. CuriousLearner

CuriousLearner Nemophilist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I would think that even most professional photographers would not haul a DSLR all over. They would likely only haul it out when they have a picture worth taking. I have read articles where photographers hike back to locations and wait hours until they have all of the elements and lighting for the perfect shot.

17. Damian1690

Damian1690 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I use a Canon 6D with some heavy lenses. I bought a quick sling and just carry it around like that. I find that really helps me. Also, you could always look into a DSLR hiking bag. It's soooo worth having a DSLR, especially full frame, imo.

Guy likes this.