Duluth Trading Company

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Broke, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Broke

Broke I found my hat! Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I bought a pair of duluth flex pants about 3 years ago. They wear very well, very good movement. I wore them often and the crotch wore out. Took them in to my local store today and they gave me a pair of duluth ultimate work pants, no money out of my pocket. I know I didn't pay that much for these pants, and they didn't care, gotta love the warranty.
    I am not pleased with them manufacturing everything in china, but, at least they stand behind the product.
    Adam G

buckfynn, Zunga, Sinjin and 40 others like this.
  2. bosque bob

bosque bob Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thank you for the report. Been looking at their products for a while. When I "outgrow" my Carharts they're on the list.

3. Ance

Ance Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have a couple pairs of Duluth Trading pants, a duluthflex work and a cool dry work. Both are fantastic so far (1year&6mon respectively). Can barely tell they are not new and I wear one or the other just about every time in the wild. While they are a bit costly to wear to work everyday (Construction is extremely hard on clothes) if you catch them on sale you can't get anything else this quality for less than double. Life time customer here.

4. mnwoodguy

mnwoodguy Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I wear the flex fire hose cargos everyday. Shorts version in the summer and pants the rest of the time. I am a cabinet maker and used to wear out a pair of old school carhartt double knee dungarees in a year. So far I only have one pair with a hole in the knee. I also wear them for hiking and bird hunting, they are a nice balance between light and tough. If you sign up for their emails you will get 20% coupons a couple times a year, makes the price a little easier to swing.

Charles

5. J. Pierce

J. Pierce Perpetually Off Topic, Sorry. Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I wasn't to excited to pay that kind of money for Chinese pants.
    But like you said, no questions asked. They don't even look at the pants that I have brought in to exchange.
    The firehose flex are very comfortable.
    I hate to say it, they might be made in China, but the quality is there.

6. Back Off

Back Off Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have looked at them several times and thought of just getting some but my weight has changed so much its too much for a pair of pants that may only fit for 6 months to a year. Once I stabilize a bit I will consider.

Fat Old Man and Broke like this.
  7. Prairiewolf

Prairiewolf Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Sounds like something from their "Ballroom" line of pants. They do sell some very good stuff. I have had a short, hooded jacket from them for about 15 years that they called the "Grab Jacket". They described it as the ideal jacket for wet, blustery days in the 40's - and it certainly delivers on that. Windproof, water resistant, and breathable with just the right amount of insulation. Unfortunately, it is not in the catalog anymore.

8. PMSteve

PMSteve Old Timey Outdoorsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have several of their pocket tee shirts. Some of them I've had for over five years and are still going strong.

I have three pairs of their 'Dry on the Fly' synthetic cargo pants. One I've had for almost five years and it has yet to show any wear.

Just to check out their warrantee, I sent back a tee that was worn on the seams and had a couple of small holes from striding through some bushes. They replaced it with a new shirt in the same color. No questions asked. You really can't beat that kind of service.

As for their clothing being made in Cambodia or VietNam, I have no problem with it. I get great quality for my dollar and that's hard to find anywhere these days. Some call them 'sweat shops', but they live in the jungle, what do you expect? I consider it revenge for the Viet Nam War.

Steve

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  9. mugsy

mugsy Guide

Blog Posts:
    they stand behind their products and i swear by them

10. Blaker55

Blaker55 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have loads of Duluth stuff. Firehose work pants and the Flex version. I wore the lined flex version on a boundary waters trip for 3-4 days non stop. Slipped in the mud and landed on my hip and butt. Kept walking, the mud dried and flaked off. I own some T's, buck naked underwear. Love the merino socks. A lined flannel shirt or two. Ballroom jeans. Shoes. Several coats. Love the superior work jacket. Very Carhart like but more flexible and loads of functional pockets. I also own the grab jacket and it is better than I hoped. It competes all the time with the superior jacket. Most shirts and t shirts run a bit on the big side. As mentioned, its best to wait for sales as it can be pricey. But it wears so well that the price per year makes it reasonable. And also as mentioned, the warranty is hard to beat.

11. dhenson0

dhenson0 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    all of my clothes except socks and shoes are Duluth. They just work. Sign up for the mailing list, save up, wait for 20% and free shipping, and strike.

Fat Old Man likes this.
  12. seasonofthewoods

seasonofthewoods Lost In the Woods Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I actually bought boxers their today! I love their shifts and pants and even socks!!! The long johns are pretty bomb too!

13. JasonJ

JasonJ Guide

Blog Posts:
    Ya know, when they want to, the Chinese can build good quality stuff.. they build the iPhone.. and it's put together just fine. Chinese factory robots are some of the best in the world...

I've always wanted to try DTC clothing.. especially the jeans. I wear through a regular pair of denim jeans in about 18 months or less... but I'm trying to lose weight and inches off of my waist before investing in good pants that might last a long time. No sense in buying 40" jeans now if by Christmas I'm wearing a size 36. I don't think their warranty covers that.

14. Broke

Blog Posts:
    Actually, I think the warranty does cover that. I am.going to return a lunch box, not because it doesn't work, but because the new one looks like.it will work.better.

15. Tye

Tye Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm kinda so so with them I bought a lifetime belt a few years ago. Well the stitching came loose I called them they said they would replace the belt but the price of the belt had gone up and I would have to pay the difference. I still haven't sent that belt in because I just can't see why I should pay the difference for them raising the price on a belt guaranteed for life.

16. Broke

Blog Posts:
    If you take it to a store they should do a straight exchange. Honestly they should do a straight exchange through the mail also, I would talk to them again.

17. blind & lost

blind & lost Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    @Broke .... my bank account is now lighter....but I had been looking here for a few years. Pants and hat on the way for January meet.

Bonekrakker, Fat Old Man and Broke like this.
  18. Broke

Blog Posts:
    Can't hardly wait to see your snazzy new duds!

Fat Old Man and blind & lost like this.
  19. blind & lost

Blog Posts:
    Hopefully it will cool down here so I can wear the pants a bunch before then. Still in shorts and flip flops, went to the beach today...

20. theJman

theJman Scout

Blog Posts:
    +1

It's likely by the time anyone needs to use the warranty prices will have gone up, so that sounds like either a BS excuse or a rep having a bad day.

hidden_lion, Fat Old Man and Broke like this.
  21. Broke

Blog Posts:
    If you don't have a store nearby, ship me the belt and I will get it replaced. My treat.

22. Hawkcreek

Hawkcreek Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I like their longer t-shirts but I'm not overly excited about their other stuff I've tried. The firehose pants weren't that impressive. Hotter than jeans in warm weather but cooler than jeans in cold weather, they caught on things and ripped easier than jeans do also in my experience. I know I could send my pair in for a replacement (I do respect their warranty) if I thought I'd bother wearing them again.

23. Luzster

Luzster Of course your opinion matters, just not to me...

Blog Posts:
    Hey @Broke ... next time you are in your local store there, take a look at their prices on the firehose pants (size 34x34) and let me know what kinda price tag they have on them if you don't mind. Please don't make a special trip there for this, jsut next time you happen to be there. Thanks man!

blind & lost, Fat Old Man and Broke like this.
  24. Broke

Blog Posts:
    Need exchange a lunchbox, so maybe tomorrow. Will do though.

blind & lost and Fat Old Man like this.
  25. Broke

Blog Posts:
    How much you want for them?

26. Luzster

Luzster Of course your opinion matters, just not to me...

Blog Posts:
    Sounds cool. I'm not really familiar with what else they have, but looking for hiking/camping type pants. IF they have another make/model that you think are good for that in 34x34, let me know the price on those as well if you don't mind.

I have some old desert cammies and old BDU cammies, but looking for something a little more rugged.

27. Broke

Blog Posts:
    Funny thing is I don't really like the long tail shirts... lol!

28. Jean

Jean Guide

Blog Posts:
    Unfortunately, their warranty won't cover the kids leaving the bamboo knife in a camp ground wood pile.

29. J. Galt

J. Galt Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Planning to give a few styles of their pants a try next. After a solid decade long relationship, my go to pants were discontinued in favor of hipster cuts.

30. Tye

Tye Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks brother I may take you up on the offer.

blind & lost and Broke like this.
  31. Broke

Blog Posts:
    Shoot me a pm for my address

blind & lost likes this.
  32. 1066vik

1066vik Guide

Blog Posts:
    their warranty is: free exchange for the same item within the first year (even for a different color or size) and store credit for your purchase price after that.
    I have a pair of their pants I bought >10 years ago that I smacked with a chainsaw and patched - then wore them until the patch came apart.
    made a comment about them in the store and they offered to trade me for store credit even though it was my fault.

that said - I'm not willing to pay full price for pretty much anything they sell at this point -- their prices have more than doubled since I started buying from them.

WY_Not, blind & lost and Broke like this.
  33. blind & lost

Blog Posts:
    If you get a chance, check out their website, they have a lot of interesting stuff and free shipping over $50.00.

Bonekrakker and Broke like this.
  34. PMSteve

PMSteve Old Timey Outdoorsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    They can afford their returns/exchange policy easily. For a pair of $60 pants, it probably cost them $15 to have them made, maybe even much less, plus the fact that most customers don't ever use the return policy. They make a lot of money either way.

Steve

hidden_lion, Broke and blind & lost like this.
  35. 1066vik

1066vik Guide

Blog Posts:
    yup.
    I pretty much limit my purchases to their periodic 20% off sales, at which point I stick to the sale/clearance section.
    it annoys me when I see items made by other companies in the catalog selling for full MSRP - and sometimes more.

Broke and blind & lost like this.
  36. Eric Westbrook

Eric Westbrook Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    They make some good stuff...and some is just stuff.

The Shoremans fleece jacket is great, amazingly warm for how light it is and pretty tough for fleece...and it really does stop the wind!

Iron Range vest, great companion to the ^^^ fleece for work this time of year...lots of pockets. Now I see they make it with a stand up collar.

Their T shirts are probably the nicest I've owned, for $20 they should be...

The Firehose pants are OK, I like the cargo pockets but hate the front hand pockets, too deep and narrow at the bottom. The deal breaker for me is, they dont make a 36" inseam (and thats just long enough) in anything but brown, how many pair of brown pants do you need. I'll stick with my Carhartt jeans and double front duck pants.

Broke likes this.
  37. Benjamin Shoemaker

Benjamin Shoemaker Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Not everything is made in China from them. I have a lot of the free swinging flannels, burly weight flannels, undergarments and fire hose pants. I love the pants and flannels. The undergarments I do not like. Personal preference not anything about the craftsmanship. I can't wear the pants in the summer, to hot here in North East Georgia. I also wait for sales when buying from them, as the price point is high. I also got a thin button down shirt and it is cool, light weight, and is not see through. I also like the fact that I don't have to advertise their clothes unlike most makers. Most makers put there name all over it, Duluth trading does not. Have gotten nothing but compliments when wearing those cloths.

remington79, J. Pierce and Broke like this.
  38. JAY

JAY Guide

Blog Posts:
    I am seeing on their site, both flex, and regular pants, does anyone know which is toughest, . also, is there much of a comfort difference? I have been looking at them for quite some time now.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
    Broke likes this.
  39. Broke

Blog Posts:
    The flex are more comfortable if you have to kneel, squat or climb a lot at your job, meaning not doing it as an incidental part of your day. The regular are thicker and "tougher" but not as flexible, they both have the crotch gusset so they don't tend to bind in that region. Honestly though no matter which you buy they will be warranties if they fail, so I would, If I were you, go to a store and try some on. Barring that, no store near by, just order 1 of each and then return the ones that you don't want. The return policy is really really good.

GreyOne and JAY like this.
  40. JAY

JAY Guide

Blog Posts:
    comparing them to blue jeans, I wonder if they will be much hotter to wear, like the protection they say they offer, but doing day hikes in Tennessee I don't want to cook myself either.

41. Broke

Blog Posts:
    Hmmm, I would say they are comparable to blue jeans, maybe a little better breathing as the weave isn't as tight, just thicker. , I wear baggie fits so the air flow is equal in either case for the most part.
    I usually wear the quick dry pants in hot weather as they wick sweat away and help me to stay cooler. Or if not at work, a kilt as I like to keep the jewels cool...

JAY likes this.
  42. crewhead05

crewhead05 caffeine, nicotine, knives and nature. Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I pulled this excerpt from a post I did a while back. It may help some. Anything with flex in it is going to be a little more comfortable but less durable IMO.

"Go with Duluth IMO. Their products are built with more of the Alaska fit vs seattle fit (skinny). Plus if they dont fit right just put them back in the box and attached the included return shipping and send them back for a full refund.

The duluth flex firehose and duluthflex dry on the fly pants are extremely comfortable. Ive started wearing the duluthflex firehose canvas jeans for work. They are more comfortable than dress slacks or jeans and i find myself lounging in them at home due to the comfort.

The dry on the fly flex pants for me are great for the outdoors. To me they seem very similar to the high end custom military pants that cost and ungodly amount.

I have a pair of duluthflex dry on the fly lined pants that I have been wearing for snow activities from hiking to plowing, they are working out very well and I dont get to hot in them.

The names of the materials get a little confusing as far as what you get so I broke it down.

Original Firehose: 100% 11.5 oz cotton canvas
    Duluth Flex firehose: 8oz cotton canvas/ 3%spandex
    Dry on the fly pants: 100% 5.6 oz nylon
    Duluth Flex Dry on the fly: 4.7 oz nylon canvas weave. 97% nylon/ 3% spandex
    Duluth Flex sweatstop firehose: 8.4 oz cotton canvas. 72% cotton/ 28% coolmax

Each of these materials is offered in pants and shorts in multiple configuarations (cargo pants, carpenter, 5 pocket etc)"

JAY and Broke like this.
  43. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've had a new winter coat sitting in my cart for a week. Love their stuff.
    I'd have a new Fall jacket in my cart, too, but I'm holding out for a jacket with a hood and no elastic on the sleeves.

I have two pair of their insulated pants I wear in Winter. Warm, durable stuff.

Now if they'd only email me a coupon for Black Friday...

Winterhorse and Broke like this.
  44. 1066vik

1066vik Guide

Blog Posts:
    $10 short sleeve and $15 long sleeve t-shirts today.

Broke likes this.
  45. PAcanis

Blog Posts:
    30% off today and free shipping over 100.
    Glad I waited.

Broke likes this.
  46. JAY

JAY Guide

Blog Posts:
    Just placed my order, fire hose work pants, gloves, and the individual pks. insect repellent. 30% off with free shipping.

Broke likes this.
  47. Ptpalpha

Ptpalpha Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Just ordered two pairs of the fire hose flex carpenter pants last night; 30% off and free shipping.
    Really looking forward to trying these. My first Duluth purchase. Even with the discount they're about twice the price of my go-to work jeans, so I have high expectations.

Broke likes this.
  48. Hawaii

Hawaii Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Duluth is my go to company for my non work clothes both the firehouse cargos and shorts. I like that they usually Priority ship for free when you spend 50 dollars and they have 30% off sales pretty regular.

They are my favorite shorts because they have an extra long version that comes just below my knees they way I like them. Lots of deep pockets, the extra ballroom is no joke :) a lot more comfortable and bullet proof. Just well designed stuff. It’s like Filson for the non millionaire’s. Just sorry its not manufactured here.

Broke likes this.
  49. PAcanis

Blog Posts:
    I'm a little bummed at Duluth right now.
    I ordered a fire hose coat from them, same size as I've gotten before, and I was swimming in it. After verifying with them that it was indeed the size large, I sent it back and reordered one in Medium (I haven't worn a med since high school). All this was done with their rep walking me through things so they were done correctly.

A week after dropping the box off at the PO I got an email saying that the package is on its way to their warehouse and they will either refund or credit my acct. I replied to the email saying I had reordered one in a different size and to please hurry things along. That was a week ago.

I should probably check and see if the medium is still in stock. Maybe they sold out during shipping or something. It seems to be dragged out for some reason and I need a new winter coat for work.

Broke likes this.
  50. Usingmyrights

Usingmyrights Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Great to hear about there customer service. I picked up one of their shirt jackets for $15 recently and look foward to trying it out. Today was out first cooler day of the season, but probably by the end of the weekend I'll get a chance.

Broke likes this.