Dutch Oven Dome, Camp Chef; No pics

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by bosque bob, Jan 1, 2018.

1. bosque bob

bosque bob Scout

Blog Posts:
    Been using a Dutch Oven Dome from Camp Chef when cooking in a Dutch Oven (legless kind, round top - Lodge calls the flat top style with legs a Camp Oven to differentiate between them) on a boxwood stove during those months when the stove is regularly fired up. Since it is my only source of heat it gets a fair amount of use. The claim by Camp Chef is cooking times are reduced and heating is more uniform. My results to date have been no scorched bottom layers with meat and vegetable roasts (the stoves fault?) and cooking time is reduced by about 1/2. To me this translates into considerably less fuel used, easier temperature control and less time involved overall. I have used the Dome with cast iron pans with lids and results were similar. Camp Chef includes a diffuser plate for use on stoves but I have never used it although the Dome works with camp fire coals and a grate. The Dome shows very little wear after a fair amount of use in the last couple of years. It folds flat and the heat resistant material weighs very little. Purists will likely consider it a "cheat" and I don't disagree at all but when the Dutch Oven is how many of my meals are cooked I can handle the ridicule. Apologize for the lack of pics.

central joe, charlesmc2 and Broke like this.
  2. tamalpias

tamalpias Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I love the Dutch oven, whenever we go hunting in Wyoming we would camp for 2 weeks while hunting and the Dutch ovens (2) gets almost daily use to feed 10 guys. I looked up the dome you are talking about and will run it by our guys to see if we should add it to our aresenal or cooking instruments. Thanks for letting us know about this product.

central joe likes this.