(E) Student Practice for Hafting an Axe

Discussion in 'BushClass USA' started by IA Woodsman, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Murrat

Murrat Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Timely task as this job needed doing. It was a seriously blunt axe head thats around 60 years old. So after a good resharpen I fitted the head to a new handle. After I checked the head is tight by chopping some wood, I will soak the axe and handle to expand the wood. Allow it to dry but not bone dry and oil it thoroughly. Dry wood shatters. Not good for axe handles! Just my thoughts.

IMG_20160826_144559.jpg IMG_20160826_144615.jpg IMG_20160826_154533.jpg IMG_20160826_154902.jpg IMG_20160826_170627.jpg

Medicine maker, OMRebel and Sgt. Mac like this.
  2. wa_medic

wa_medic Scout Bushclass III Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    My submission:

I had a small hatchet head (1.33 pounds) around the shop and wanted to make a small axe to carry with me in my pack. Something like the GB small forest axe (head weight about 1.5 pounds and 20 inches long.

I started with this:

[​IMG]

I used a combination of power tools and hand tools to shape the handle:

[​IMG]

Neck fitted to the eye:

[​IMG]

Placing the wedge:

[​IMG]

Wedge fit:

[​IMG]

I trimmed the handle, re-profiled the edge, and oiled the handle. Here it is next to the Small Forest Axe:

[​IMG]

In use:

Shavings
    [​IMG]

Chopping and splitting:

[​IMG]

Thank you for the lesson!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  3. CampCowan

CampCowan ob-la-di ob-la-da Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Materials, Kelly woodslasher head and house handle. Had to do a lot of material removal because I failed to measure the eye before buying. Sand paper, Palm sander and dremel helped out a lot
    [​IMG]
    Handle fitted in head, wedge next.
    [​IMG]
    Wedge got a little messed up going in but still did the job.

[​IMG]
    Got er very sharp. Chops well.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I learned a lot. This was my first attempt at hanging any tool. It came out really well but could have definitely been improved in certain areas.

Sgt. Mac likes this.
  4. Peter M

Peter M Plant Nerd and Scatologist Supporter Bushclass III Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    So i finally got my axe head hung!
    Heres more of the story when i was trying to find info on the axe and deciding if this is the one i wanted to do
    Kulkoni Inc. Axe. Worth my time??

And Prior to hanging the head i knocked all the rust off and started shaping it but looks like a i need some new files to really get a nice grind on it.

But for the handle i shaped it with a wood rasp to fit the eye of the head
    then i sized the width of the wedge and cut it to correct lenth with my multitool
    i beat it in until my homemade mallet fell apart haha.
    then cut off the extra to clean it up a little
    used my mora to strip it of all that awful clear coat
    and now multiple soakings of BLO until she is fat and happy with it!

Its still not quite shaped great enough or sharp enough but for the lesson i took it outside and beat on a old log i had laying around to chop it up a bit! P9040196.JPG PB230352.JPG PB230353.JPG PB230354.JPG PB230357.JPG PB230358.JPG PB230359.JPG PB240360.JPG PB240361.JPG

5. Rockgod1619

Rockgod1619 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Handle is a 28" Link, it's all I could find locally. Head is a Norlund Hudson Bay pattern.

Old next to new. Lacquer stripped.
    [​IMG]

Thinned, sanded, haft shaped.
    [​IMG]

2 coats of vinegaroon, sanded after each.
    [​IMG]

Test fit from below.
    [​IMG]

Test fit from above.
    [​IMG]

Wedge in, excess cut off, sanded smooth.
    [​IMG]

From the side. Left about 1/2" to make sure the head stayed in place. That's what the problem was with the old handle.
    [​IMG]

After some BLO!
    [​IMG]

ETA:. Work pictures!! Dead standing cedar.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  6. N8tr Boy

N8tr Boy Tracker

Blog Posts:
    IMG_20170225_165156.jpg hand axe I bought at an auction number of years back that needed to be refitted

Attached Files:

AK Adventurer and Sgt. Mac like this.
  7. N8tr Boy

N8tr Boy Tracker

Blog Posts:
    when axe head was removed i soaked it in a vinegar bath to remove rust. after it was back together I sharpened the head with a file and a stone plus sand paper method (2nd last on left) and tested it on a piece of oak from wood pile (bottom right pic) and then tried it on a piece of dry hemlock for shaving ( bottom left pic). Works great and no movement. I used BLO before wedge went in also

8. MT_Fin

MT_Fin Axe'aholic Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Finished hanging the beveled Norlund, now just need to sharpen it. 36" House Handle, Bog oak wedge. Head weighed 3lb 7.6oz.

Started pretty clean.
    [​IMG]

All finished!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. gus1911

gus1911 Supporter Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I have been catching up with restoring my family's hand tools and recently got around to hanging my grandfather's no name double bit. Started out by removing the varnish from a new handle.
    [​IMG]

Starting the fitting process.
    [​IMG]

Nice fit!
    [​IMG]

Start the wedge.
    [​IMG]

Bottomed out a bit early.
    [​IMG]

I split the wood with the metal wedge. I hate that.
    [​IMG]

Striking looks to the handle. We'll see if she chops.
    [​IMG]

10. bigreddog

bigreddog Tracker Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I picked up a Bahco axe head and put it away thinking it would be great for the hafting elective for BushClass
    I've wanted to make a custom mini hatchet with a handmade handle.

I also picked up a dead standing branch of Rata from our house. Rata is a stunning, slow growing vine/tree with dense wood a gorgeous red flowers.
    It is under threat in New Zealand from the pest possum population
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metrosideros_umbellata

First I made 3 cuts with a hacksaw to shape the axe (wouldn’t do that again). Used a grinder to round the cuts together. Dropped it into a vinegar bath to clean up along with another head. After cleaning it up I tried to reprofile the edge to a sharper angle

The branch of Rata had a natural bend in it that I wanted to work into the handle. After cutting the branch to length I split the sides of by batoning the axehead through. This accidentally took a deep gouge out of the prospective handle.

Keen to use only hand tools for the handle I started shaping with a rasp and at times a knife. The wood was very hard but beautiful to work with. I tried to incorporate the bark of the tree into the back of the handle, it ended up with a small 2 inch section on the bend.

[​IMG]

After rough outlining the handle shaped I fitted the eye with lots of slow trial and shaping. I found the eye was larger at the top so once I had shaped the haft to fit, it left a bit of space near the top. I cut a contrasting red hardwood wedge that I made to the full length of the eye. A bit frustrated that it ended up with a gap at the top. I think I'd try a slightly thicker wedge next time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The finished article. Now to put a finish of Danish oil on it (wait for ages for it to dry) and do some chopping.

This is my first axe handle so any suggestions, critiques, advice warmly welcomed.

[​IMG]

Oil finish finally dry, I got out and split some kindling this afternoon. Splits wood fine and chops OK, think it will be handy in shaping other projects out too. I made some shavings to get this fire started but I think the axe needs to be sharper to really shave well.

How sharp do you recommend having an axe this size?

11. lowenBhold

lowenBhold Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Couldn't find a handle locally that would work. All I could come up with was a plank of red oak from home depot.

[​IMG]
    Rough shape cut out and start of shaping for the eye.
    [​IMG]

put some red paint inside the eye to make marks where I needed to trim things up.
    [​IMG]

Fitting good.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Shaping the rest of the handle
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Wedge and handle oiled well.
    [​IMG]
    Ready for the wedge to go in.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    BLO all around and done.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Crazy storm outside, so I had to do this in the living room. Don't know what kind of wood this is (tree in my front yard that I can't ID) but it's tough stuff.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for looking!

12. Sgt. Mac

Sgt. Mac Elder

Blog Posts:

Nice job

lowenBhold likes this.
  13. lowenBhold

lowenBhold Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thank you sir

Sgt. Mac likes this.
  14. Church86

Church86 Tracker Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I've had this head for 16 yrs now and 13 of them it hasn't had a handle. It's sat above my work bench since I moved into the house I live in now. I took a sander to it and knocked off all the paint. Rerouted the blade. Forgive Mt terminology if I don't get it right. A re-ground the blade and and at the end of it pulled an edge with a smith's carbide course sharpener.
    These are the tools I was working with.
    20170508_225933.jpg
    The head is a 3 1/2 pound Germany reliable. The replacement handle is a 26in hickory. It took a lot of sanding and shaping to pull a decent fit. Still couldn't get 100% what I wanted.
    20170508_230027.jpg 20170508_230013.jpg 20170508_230950.jpg 20170508_231741.jpg
    Oiled, hammered, trimmed the extra and metal pinned it.
    20170508_232421.jpg
    Linseed oil

I remember being a bad aim ad a kid so I figured a little protection couldn't hurt. 20170508_233734.jpg
    20170509_184023.jpg
    20170509_184106.jpg
    After 14 halfhearted swings because I didn't want to hurt my new baby.
    20170509_184150.jpg
    After gaining a little confidence 8 popped it in two. This has given me a new found respect for my tools. Before I would have gone and bought a new axe but this is an extension of me now, something to be proud of.

15. RickWA

RickWA Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I hope this counts. We can do electives in any order with the basic lessons, correct?

I hafted an axe head I bought off ebay last December on a whim... before I really gave much thought to doing these lessons. I detailed the process here.

This was a challenge because I live in an apartment (no shop or garage to work in) and only have very basic hand tools.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It works. :cool:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  16. atlastrekker

atlastrekker Supporter Supporter Bushclass III Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    This is the first time I've done this type of work. It turned out nice, and I learned a whole lot doing the project. 2017-06-10 15.18.03.jpg 2017-06-10 15.18.26.jpg 2017-06-10 15.18.44.jpg 2017-06-10 15.19.09.jpg 2017-06-10 15.20.32.jpg 2017-06-10 15.20.50.jpg

Thanks for looking @Sgt. Mac

17. FreudianSlip

FreudianSlip Guide

Blog Posts:
  18. Hiker41

Hiker41 Scout Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    First time trying anything like this

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Turned out better than I thought it would.Thanks for a great lesson and also thanks to @sons of scotland for giving me this axe head a few years ago.

19. Seahunter

Seahunter Supporter Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    DSC_0729.JPG
    This old 1/2 pound marbles safety ax was missing the guard and had 2 big cracks running the length of the handle
    new marbles handle.jpg
    It is hard to find the right sized handle because this ax is so small. So I carved one from a hickory board.
    DSC_0730.JPG
    The eye of the ax is different than most. It is made by drilling 3 holes side by side with a tapered reamer. I mostly used a gouge to carve the neck of the handle so it would fit the eye. Here the handle is shaped, the neck is fitted, and the handle is stained.
    wedge.jpg undersized wedge.jpg
    The first wedge I fit wasn't thick enough to spread the top of the handle apart and fill the eye because marbles used a tapered reamer and the top 1/2 of they eye flares out more than most axes. I drilled out the 1st wedge, and made a 2nd thicker wedge.
    DSC_0731.JPG DSC_0732.JPG Better fitting wedge.jpg
    Second wedge started. Second wedge bottomed out. Handle has a tighter fit with the wider wedge. I soaked the head in linseed oil over night as well.
    splitting spruce.jpg
    Split down some spruce.

Attached Files:

20. Kelly W

Kelly W Love the Axe Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Love the marbles. Nice job on the hafting. Looks just like mine only my little axe only has 2 holes in the eye.

21. Ryan Alexander

Ryan Alexander Scout

Blog Posts:
    My bad, i thought electives was for intermediate cert..
    Last Friday i found a nice hickory tree that had fallen in a storm and cut a big chunk from it. Split it down and used that to practice making a couple axe handles since the one i made previously from an ash sapling was a complete failure. I fit it, used it for a few days and ended up knocking the wedge out because the ears we're digging into the handle and i had to round them off for a better fit. I drove it down lower on the handle until it was perfectly snug. Wedged it, slammed a circular metal wedge in the center. Soaked it in motor oil, stained it and put a wax finish on the handle. Works great now but i think i can do better.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. Luchtaine

Luchtaine MOA #22 Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    Ok, I had this hatchet head and wanted to make my own handle for it. Unfortunately I also wanted to use it on my next outing. I'm not going to be able to get material to make a handle from scratch so in the mean time I grabbed a hardware store handle to get the head into service.

Here are the materials ready to go.

IMG_1469.JPG

It took a bit of work to thin it out enough for the head to fit well but the spoke shave and draw knife worked well.

IMG_1470.JPG
    IMG_1471.JPG

Now that the head fit well I used just a regular hammer to tap the handle bottom and set the head. It seated nicely leaving little hickory curls to trim off.

IMG_1473.JPG

Next I trimmed off some of the excess above the head and got the wedge soaking in some BLO.

IMG_1474.JPG

All started and ready to drive home.

IMG_1475.JPG

The wedge drove home nicely. I was hoping to leave everything fitting a little proud to lock it all in. Unfortunately it spit apart and made quite a mess. The eye filled well and I expect to replace the handle though so I trimmed it flush instead.

IMG_1478.JPG

For the chopping test there was a downed maple branch in the yard. Took a few chips at it and nothing loosened up!

IMG_1484.JPG

A little more sanding, some oil, and a final sharpening and she will be good to go!!

23. Sinjin

Sinjin Firebrand Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Here's my submission!

24. OMRebel

OMRebel Meanderer of the Piney Woods Supporter Hardwoodsman Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    This is a Cold Steel Trail Boss I got from @Forestree on one of our last outings. He found it at a camp site and put it with his arsenal of throwing axes. When the handle finally broke, he gave it to me so I could complete this class. Thanks Forestree! Also, big milestone...this is my final elective class!:14:

Here is the ax head with the new hickory handle.
    20180106_153420.jpg

Me sanding the head down to fit in the ax.
    20180106_154002.jpg

Tapping the stump to push the head through the ax.
    20180106_155106.jpg

Cutting off the excess.
    20180106_155306.jpg

Tapping in the oiled wedge.
    20180106_155833.jpg

Sanding the handle.
    20180106_161015.jpg

I put a coat of BLO on the handle. I may go back and add another coat if necessary.
    20180106_161914.jpg

The Trail Boss slices through firewood like a....boss.
    20180106_160359.jpg 20180106_160455.jpg

25. Kyle363

Kyle363 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Here is a little one pound true temper hatchet Not the best at chopping but this thing splits like crazy.

[​IMG]

First fitting
    [​IMG]

Shaping the eye
    [​IMG]

It fits
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

OMRebel, AK Adventurer and Sgt. Mac like this.
  26. Red Yeti

Red Yeti Mostly Harmless Hobbyist Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Here's an axe I just hung. I got this neat middle sized broad axe head second hand. Always wanted one of these for roughing out carvings. I decided to put it on a one handed handle because I picture using this that way on a chopping block.

Axe 1.jpg

Its an oldie, but has no maker's mark. If anybody out there knows anything about this one, I'd sure like to know. It is a very solid piece. A couple things I like about it on the flat side: 1) By the red marker you can see a line between the lighter hardened steel of the bit and the darker softer steel of the rest. I see this in older tools and it seems to indicate a well made tool to me 2) by the pencil, you can see an interesting mark from a forge weld where it seems the steel was wrapped around the eye and forge welded together. Nice old method and very neatly done.

Axe 2.jpg

I shaped the handle to fit with a rasp and file and some sandpaper

Axe 3.jpg

Axe 4.jpg

I shaped a wedge out of a scrap of purpleheart.

Axe 5.jpg

After some test fitting, I oiled the wedge and set it in place. I'm a lefty, so I mounted this one that way.

Axe 6.jpg

And set in in place with a heavy rawhide mallet. This picture is after I trimmed the wedge flush. I don't like to use the metal cross wedges. I learned from an experienced blacksmith that these just destroy the handles. You can reset or replace a wooden wedge if it comes loose, but if it has the metal cross wedge and starts to come loose, the handle is basically not usable anymore because the cross wedge splits the wood.

axe 7.jpg

Here's a couple shots of it in use:

axe 8.jpg

axe 9.jpg

Axe 10.jpg

Thanks for looking!

27. Bushcraft-kelso

Bushcraft-kelso Am are Hobbyist Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    My dad gave me this small axe head this weekend for this lesson.. IMG_20180123_125735.jpg I cleaned it up and for the life of me couldn't find a handle to fit it.. so I decided to make one.. or try.. so I found a hardwood pallet board..
    IMG_20180123_121429.jpg bandsaw wasn't having it so I had to do it the hard way.. but worked out good being it still had nails in it
    IMG_20180123_121851.jpg I just broke them off with a cold chisel and a hammer.. then took a jig saw to the wonkey sides to shape it a little
    IMG_20180123_124428.jpg got it to roughly the shape I wanted.. then took and cut and knocked out pieces to form the neck
    IMG_20180123_164502.jpg this took the longest.. I split the neck with a hand saw and drove the axe head on tight, oiled the wedge and sent her home! IMG_20180123_173836.jpg the neck held the head pritty true IMG_20180123_172115.jpg I smoothed it up a little with a flapper wheel on a grinder.. IMG_20180123_174727.jpg handle needs smoothed and some b.l.o but all in all turned out good I think. Hope this passes for hafting and axe! Chopping picture below!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  28. Bushcraft-kelso

Bushcraft-kelso Am are Hobbyist Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    And it chops!!
    IMG_20180123_192628.jpg I'll put an edge on it after I sand and b.l.o the handle

OMRebel, AK Adventurer and Sgt. Mac like this.
  29. Duncsquatch

Duncsquatch Heed the call. Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Does that axe have a chisel type grind?

30. Red Yeti

Red Yeti Mostly Harmless Hobbyist Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Yes, it is a broad axe, so it is flat on one side and has a single bevel on the other side. It is used for making a flat side on a log using the flat side of the axe against the wood.

31. Duncsquatch

Duncsquatch Heed the call. Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Cool thanks, I have seen videos of people using them but never in real life. They look fun.

32. Southern Scout

Southern Scout Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Before Christmas, I purchased a exceptionally good condition Kelly True Temper cruiser axe head on eBay. While it seems very unlikely, the bits of the axe do not look as if they have ever been sharpened. As you can tell in the image below, the axe was soaked in vinegar but there must have just been some light surface rust which required it as there are no pits in the metal.

[​IMG]

I purchased a 28" white hickory handle from Beaver Tooth Handle Co. The handle is produced rather well but with pretty good grain orientation. The cut in the top for the wedge is just a little off center but it should not be an issue with the functionality of the axe.

[​IMG]

There was a considerable amount of wood removal required to fit the handle to the head. I trimmed it just enough to seat the head and have about 3/16" of the handle stick above the top of the head. This should leave plenty of handle to drop the head down and refit it if I ever have issues with the head getting loose.

[​IMG]

The image below is of the head after seating it on the handle. There were small curls of handle rolling up around all sides which points to a very tight fit which it great.

[​IMG]

I soaked the wedge in boiled linseed oil and then worked it into place. I made marks on it to see how far I was able to seat it and so that I would know when it was no longer moving. I was able to put it about 1 1/8" into the head which is quite good. You can see it was even starting to curl which is another sight of a very tight fit.

[​IMG]

I cut off the excess wedge and left about 3/16" of the handle out the top. I think the swell of the wood out the top of the head helps a little with head retention. I'm undecided on the use of a metal wedge. At this point, I'm going to leave it out. If it begins to get loose, I'll add one.

[​IMG]

This is the final product after several coats of boiled linseed oil. Additionally, I worked on the head with some fine steel wood and WD-40 to get the carbon residue off from the previous owner's vinegar bath. The axe is now complete and ready for use!

[​IMG]

Put the axe to use shortly thereafter by downing a dead tree which is about 9" in diameter.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

33. scottmm2012

scottmm2012 1 Peter 1:20 Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    This is something I've never done properly before and have been eager to put this new found skill to work. I watched youtube videos years ago about hafting an axe but never had an old axe to haft. So, two days ago I found a BlueGrass Double Bit laying around in the maintenance building at the place I work sitting in a corner feeling neglected next to a bunch of Pulaskis and Fire rakes.
    It definitely has seen better days.

IMG_9472.JPG

IMG_9474.JPG

IMG_9475.JPG

After I removed some of the tape. It was hiding a potential catastrophic failure for the next handler.

IMG_9476.JPG

Removed the old handle and cleaned up the surface rust leaving the patina.

IMG_9477.JPG

IMG_9480.JPG

Purchased a 36" double bit hickory axe handle with very good straight grain from my local hardware store. On the company's dime of course. Fitted the handle with a draw shave, rasp, and sand paper and removed the lacquer from the handle...BLO once completed.

IMG_9481.JPG

I seated the head on the handle, fit the wedge and removed the excess. Treated the wedge and handle with a healthy serving of BLO. Sharpened the axe by hand on one side and by mechanical means on the other. Wanted to see which was better.

IMG_9484.JPG

It might not be perfect but its definitely better than it was.

IMG_9485.JPG

Cut through a fallen beech in my side yard.

IMG_9487.JPG

All in all I learned quite a bit in this process. Store bought handles are one size fits all and it took quite a bit of fitting to get the handle to fit. I took a little too much, I believe, from the sides and next time will try and do better. The axe didn't budge, however, from its location but in reality I only cut one small diameter tree with its new handle. I also used some newly twisted jute twine I made using a rope twister and whipped a handle guard. It was fun and looking forward to my next.

Sgt. Mac likes this.
  34. Lassmanac

Lassmanac Man Enough to be a Girl Scout Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Sooooo much fun!

Sgt. Mac likes this.
  35. theNATIVEONE8

theNATIVEONE8 Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Here we go, another lesson for bushclass! Its been a little while, but Im back. I got an awesome carpenters hatchet head from a member here. Its going to make a perfect pack hatchet.

5E8983EF-A599-435D-AF6A-74D50277077F.jpeg

I first did some shaping, getting it to fit. I soaked the wedge in some blo and just worked slowly with the mora and the rasp.

33819187-B351-4D58-8B35-5FC25857D7D8.jpeg

I shaped and got a rough outline on the handle. I went down until the handle filled the eye nicely.

B7EDEE6C-D039-4FCF-86FD-8414E7C803D2.jpeg D93B0190-55D6-47B0-9B52-ACCA0EE2A6E0.jpeg

I had the wedge soaking and pounded it home. I didnt take anything off the top of the handle yet. I might, Im not sure at the moment. I split some wood and chopped thru a green aspen. The head didnt move at all. It was fun, and nice to post something again. Thanks for looking!

77E7A090-4ACE-4172-BF11-9CB2243D876B.jpeg CB85962F-48B9-4E15-A527-F61C30D5083E.jpeg 624AE063-CE72-40FB-BC49-DF344263F619.jpeg BF623B68-35AA-46B3-9B4F-08278241064A.jpeg

36. Timo.mac1

Timo.mac1 Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I had an old axe of my Dad's that I could restore and use for this project.

20171122_102301.jpg
    It was in bad shape.

20171122_102243.jpg
    And dangerous

20180609_190251.jpg
    The shiny axe and it's future mate.

20180609_190334.jpg
    Fitting required.

20180609_195650.jpg
    Shaving with the Stanley.

20180609_194834.jpg
    Inverted belt sander for the final touches.

20180610_154423.jpg
    Final edge ready. Snug fit.

20180610_155238.jpg
    First wedge split while trimming. Family not home to hear me express my shame.

20180610_163836.jpg
    A return trip to the big box store and more care yielded a usable wedge.

20180610_164427.jpg
    Back in action.

37. Capsicum

Capsicum Tracker Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
  38. Coyote Charlie

Coyote Charlie Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Hello all,

Posted that I wanted to buy a hatchet head so I could complete this elective. Thanks to @krismorgan he sent me one with no charge. Ordered my handle and wedge kit. Shaped the wood where it went into the eye and it took about three hours of sanding to get it where I liked it. Everything went together smoothly and now I have a nice little hatchet. Here is my submission: 2018-11-08-18-17-35.jpg 2018-11-08-21-38-54.jpg 2018-11-08-21-39-32.jpg 2018-11-08-21-40-41.jpg 2018-11-09-16-16-29.jpg
    Thank you,

Coyote

39. notoiletpaperinthewoods

notoiletpaperinthewoods MOA #58 Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass III Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Here is a Sandvik I hafted. This was my first time hafting an axe:
    VideoCapture_20181124-143404.jpg VideoCapture_20181124-143645.jpg 20181129_180053.jpg 20181129_180113.jpg 20181129_180149.jpg

40. Tom Eickenberg

Tom Eickenberg Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I was not happy with the handle that came with my Husqvarna hatchet. I found the 13" handle too short for me and I did not like the curve of the handle. So I ordered a 19" handle from House Handle for it and re-haft it as one of my electives for BushClass

IMG_6664.JPG

I removed the 13" handle

IMG_7090.JPG

The handle will need to be resized to fit

IMG_7092.JPG

Use an old Arcade File Works rasp my father gave me 40 years or so ago to reshape it

IMG_7165.JPG

IMG_7098.JPG

Soaked the wedge in raw linseed oil

IMG_7142.JPG

Put the wood wedge in, cut it then put in the round metal wedge that came with it

IMG_7183.JPG

IMG_7191.JPG

Split a piece of green Yellow Birch I had in the hoophouse

IMG_7195.JPG

and shaved some dry White Pine

IMG_7199.JPG

41. Youcantreadinthedark

Youcantreadinthedark Amphibian. Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This handle never should have been born, it's what I got though.
    [​IMG]

42. Jack Bartell

Jack Bartell Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Here’s mine. Some pics are screenshots from the video I have yet to post to YouTube, but will be up shortly. E7AB2EF7-3CC1-40E4-975B-7CF9302B78D7.jpeg Old hurts bruk hatchet, antique store find.
    FE55F540-0F90-4931-84BF-4A686A8A4014.jpeg
    Agdor-fix filled eye. No metal wedge.
    5860099B-25D3-4C91-A55C-A149D9DAFA21.png Drilled out and cleaned up
    A99C072A-8072-48EE-838A-41D4916321DC.png New Hults bruk 20” handle, carved up and fit to the eye.
    7D8A494F-83C2-435C-877A-61FB3FA2B556.png
    Fitting the wedge, hammered in and excess trimmed off.
    43679222-37FA-4A19-8CF2-D4D308211C88.png
    Round wedge set and hammered
    6D3C8500-734D-425B-966E-3875C2718A10.png
    Round wedge hammered as far as possible, then all of the wood and metal sticking out of the eye is trimmed and filed flat.
    5E76E550-6A9E-48BA-8872-78FEEA8926D0.png All finished. Oiled up the handle and reprofiled the edge, but still needs some polishing work on the head. Other than that it is fully functional.

486D02AB-57E9-483E-A772-690EAF509592.png

43. Chris4x4Gill2

Chris4x4Gill2 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Did this one over the past week. I didnt do any work to the handle itself because i really didnt think it would ever be used. After handling it some, I know I'll have to slim this handle up some. It's too good of a head not to get some use. It's got a good profile and cuts pretty good.

I found this at a yard sale with a cracked handle. The old handle was probably half as thick as the new one. Had to chisel the old split wood out of the eye. Then a vinegar soak to get rid of the rust.

I test fit and then shaved some. Little bit of work with the file. It fit nice and snug. Curled up some fine curls as I drove it on. Added the wedge with a spot of wood glue. Drive it in, cut off just proud of flush and added the metal wedge. Piles with boiled linseed.

Drilled a hole at the end and added the cord to hang it from.

Attached Files: