(E) Student Practice for PSK

Discussion in 'BushClass USA' started by IA Woodsman, Feb 9, 2011.

1. The Desert Rat

The Desert Rat Tracker Banned

Blog Posts:
    I don't carry a PSK ever. I find no need. Considering, if I'm Bushcrafting, Mountaineering or Hiking I have dedicated packs with everything I need for those activities. Also, I have a Mac Tools tool box in the back of my Van, with almost every tool I need to fix any vehicle, or that I would need in an emergency survival situation. I also carry many spare parts for my Van and 5 gallons of water that I drink daily and fill up every morning (Vans capacity for potable water is 12 gallons).. So, in the rare occurrence that my Van breaks down I'll just fix it. Also, my Van has a 3000 watt Cummins Diesel generator, fridge, freezer, RV AC unit, electric heat, and an electric stove. With that written this is my EDC PSK. The dental hygiene kit stays in glove box. The only time a PSK would benefit me is during a vehicle breakdown in a remote location. But, considering my Vans capabilities it functions as my PSK.

On a side note. I've lived in my van for a couple of years and can live in it remotely comfortable for 3 weeks without additional food, water, or fuel.

DSC_0066.jpg

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  2. Bridgetdaddy

Bridgetdaddy Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Here is my PSK. Most of us could get by for 24 hours + on what we carry in our pockets. The rules for this say 6x6x3 inches. I found a Tupperware that is 6x6 at the top and about 1/4 inch smaller at the bottom and 3 inches deep. IMG_20190515_065601745.jpg
    From the top down. The Tupperware is the kit container, also my eating/drinking bowl.
    Inside the Tupperware is 3 commercial trash bags. 38x60 inches. One is for a poncho, one to open flat and use as a shelter, one to fill with leaves to make an insulated mattress.
    The small square container holds my fishing gear. 35 regular hooks, 10 swivels, 5 treble hooks, a red devil spoon, and a 550 cord lure. I have 3 bundles of fish line to go with them.
    A small spoon that folds in half.
    Bright pink survey tape for marking where I am or where I'm going. Could make fish lures too.
    8 safety pins. Mostly for clothing repair.
    Not visible, but I have a sewing needle taped to the inside of the Tupperware so I don't loose it. The eye is big enough to sew with the cordage I carry.
    A 10.5 ounce soup can for boiling water/cooking. Can use snare wire for a bail.
    A flat pack of white duct tape. About 6 feet.
    A 3/4 inch wood chisel blade. I am not batoning my folding knife to split wood. Also, I can mount it in some wood to carve with it, or make an adze.
    4 steel tines. Heavy coat hanger wire sharpened at one end. To make a fish spear or frog gig. I can carve groves in a 2 inch diameter stick and lash the tines into the groves.
    My knife is a folding lock back. A 'Phantom' by Taylor cutlery of Japan. Had it for years. Locks solid and feels like a fixed blade. About 2 3/4 in h blade.
    A plastic signal mirror.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  3. Bridgetdaddy

Bridgetdaddy Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Hit the wrong button, so finishing my post here.
    Dollar store LED flashlight. Very bright and about 1/4 inch thick.
    Medicine. Imodium, excedrine, and benedryl.
    Ramen soup packet. Basically flavored salt. And 3 hard candies.
    Pocket water filter. With it I can drink from most anywhere. Don't want to have to boil water all the time.
    Necklace with a mini bic lighter, whistle, and compass on it.
    Cordage is waxed string(white nylon, 9 strand), tan color is artificial sinew, Brown is more waxed string (cotton) and the black is braided nylon.
    2 bundles of snare wire and one bundle of 6 ready made snares.
    The blue loop is a 21 inch blade for bow saw/bucksaw. I keep it tied together, otherwise it jumps out of the Tupperware like a piranha on speed. Inside it is 2 rings for the ends, and some micro cord (like thin 550 cord. 1 center strand) to make a buck saw with.
    IMG_20190515_064141744.jpg