1. Due to the amount of SPAM from foreign countries lately, we have made the decision to manually approve all new members. While we regret that this must be done and the added time that it will take for new members to be approved, it is necessary at this time. We hope to have legitimate new members approved in a timely manner, no longer than a couple of hours. If the Administrators are online at the time, it can be as soon as a couple of minutes. Thank you for your patience.
    Dismiss Notice

easiest suspension?

Discussion in 'Hammocks' started by chansta, Oct 10, 2017.

1. chansta

chansta Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    what would you consider the easiest suspension for a new hammocker?

whoopie slings?
    atlas straps with caribiners/
    buckle?

I got a warbonnet traveler and currently own atlas straps, which I use with my grand trunk and it seems to work pretty well.

Pharmer likes this.
  2. Broke

Broke Back yard bushcrafter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I just put whoOpie slings on my hammock, pretty simple. Combine them.with tree straps and a marlinspike hitch and it gets even easier and lighter.
    I havent used any strap and buckLe suspension, but I hear it works very well and is easy to adjust.

Carbonmated likes this.
  3. MississipVol

MississipVol Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I think the buckles (similar to what comes on Warbonnets) are the easiest.

Whoopie slings are often preferred as the lightest but there is a lot of fiddle factor involved there, at least until you get really used to them.

Atlas straps are the heaviest and are easy to set up but I can't ever seem to get my hammock quite dialed in when I used them.

That's why I have kept the buckle suspension on my Warbonnet as is. No real sag to deal with from the suspension and super easy to dial in your hammock for comfort.

YMMV

4. ra2bach

ra2bach Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    buckle straps are really versatile but heavier than hikers like. whoopie slings are lighter but problematic with close trees. Atlas straps are heavy but also really easy...

I'm getting another set of Ultimate Hammock Straps with Nano-weave. $17.75 shipped, weigh 5oz for 220lbs limit, 8oz for 400lb limit -- https://www.massdrop.com/buy/ultimate-hammocks-straps

Broke likes this.
  5. Wolf427

Wolf427 Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I use 1" straps (12'/side), with cinch buckles. I used 4mm static cord fished through the channel on my dutch, with the cord wrapped 4 times around the cinch buckle, and tied into a loop with a triple fisherman's knot. Full kit(11ft hammock, snakeskin, ridgeline, suspension, stuff sack) weighs around 650grams, absolutely worth it. Never have to worry about finding the perfect distance between trees anymore. I think it's the easiest suspension.

davidchagrin and Broke like this.
  6. Brommeland

Brommeland Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Dutchware Ti cinch buckles are my favorite. Warbonnet Tri-rings are a close second. Both are very simple and very strong.

Wolf427, Broke and alukban like this.
  7. Carbonmated

Carbonmated Guide

Blog Posts:
    We all need to hang our own hang, and there are many ways to skin a cat. For me, find what works best for you and roll with it. Your set up will become a constantly evolving animal. What you love and works for you today will change, and those changes will eventually morph into something better for you. I was using the garda hitch for a long time, then I got lazy one day and tied 2 slippery half hitches through the straps, done no slipping no muss no fuss and easy to adjust if I need. Im thinking about a blackbird xlc and will most likely use whoopies to cut some mass out of my bag. Just experiment and find your zone, most of all have fun with it.

xrayit and Broke like this.
  8. Unistat76

Unistat76 Nerd Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I have a foot of thin diamond braid poly rope (Home Depot, pink and white) through each end of my hammock. Each of the end of the poly is tied in a bowline. The bowlines go on carabiners, to which my hammock ridge line is is also attached.

On the tree is some 1" tubular webbing. On one end of the webbing is a bowline. The working end of the webbing goes around the tree and through the bowline. Then, with the free webbing, I do a marlin spike hitch with the hammock carabiners as the spike.

My ridgeline is more of the poly line. One end is a (you guessed it) bowline on the carabiner. It runs through the other carabiner and then I tie it off with a taught line hitch.

I've thought about replacing the poly rope with Dyneema, Amsteel, Kevlar, or other "super" line but it really wouldnt save me much weight over the poly. The poly is inexpensive and it use it for anything I don't want line with stretch. Tie outs, bow drill bow lines, etc. I did upgrade my tarp ridge line to the 950 lbs Technora BCO ridge line kit.

Broke likes this.
  9. MississipVol

MississipVol Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Just a little clarification - the Warbonnet buckles only weigh 2 ounces more than the whoopie slings. I wouldn't really call 2 ounces "heavier" but that's just me. Maybe if I were a thru-hiker it would be a different story but I gladly carry those extra 2 ounces because they're so easy to use!

Carbonmated, ra2bach and Broke like this.
  10. Riverpirate

Riverpirate Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Easiest? Atlas Straps. They may not be the lightest but they are by far the easiest to set up and adjust. I have been a hanger for some 12 years now. I have tried them all. All of my hammocks have been switched over to atlas Straps.

rsnurkle, Broke and Gramp Camp like this.
  11. ra2bach

Blog Posts:
    yeah, Warbonnet buckles = 6.4oz, Dutch Whoopies w/4' poly hugger = 3.7oz, the difference = 2.7oz

2-3oz is inconsequential for recreational users but gram-counting hikers, looking to save weight (and bulk), would be horrified.

you'll pay for those 2.7oz too. Warbonnet buckles = $25, Dutch Whoopie slings = $37.85, the difference = $12.85 but lightweight hikers won't even blink at the cost...

Atlas straps cost $29 and weigh 11oz but are by far the favorite of backyard users because they are so simple.

the Ultimate Hammock Straps with Nano-weave I posted above are $17.75 shipped. they weigh 5oz/pr for 220lbs limit or 8oz for 400lb limit and pack down about the size of my whoopies and hugger straps.

the advantage I see of them is they will fit in situations that I've had trouble with whoopies (trees too close) and I'll be giving them an audition on my spring hike -- https://www.massdrop.com/buy/ultimate-hammocks-straps

OldMan and Broke like this.
  12. xrayit

xrayit Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have tree straps with buckles, tree straps with marlin hitch direct to continuous loops , atlas straps with biners, whoopie slings and just picked up the Beetle Buckle suspension from Dutchware. No real preference of one over the other but I do seem to use the buckles most of the time because thats what I have on my go to hammock and they work for me. I use the Dutch Clips to attach the straps to the tree so that I don’t need to thread the strap into the buckle every time I set up the hammock. Two down sides to buckles other than threading the strap into the buckle is the weight ( minimal) and you can’t store the straps separately if the become all sappy unless you decide to do the threading thing each time. Simplest and lightest is the continuous loop hung on the tree strap with a marlin hitch, simple and light weight but a pain to get your adjustment just right. Whoopie slings add some adjustment but also length which can be an issue if you cant find the perfect tree distance. Atlas and biners, simple and good adjustment with a bulk penalty on the straps. Like others have said no right way ( dont use rope or para cord .. Use tree straps) or wrong way to hang when it comes to hammocks, HYOH

ra2bach and Broke like this.
  13. Pastor Chris

Pastor Chris Hardwoodsman #7 Hobbyist Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I agree 100% form my limited experience. I have Warbonnets with both as above and am constantly impressed with the utter simplicity of the straps and buckles.

Broke likes this.
  14. ra2bach

Blog Posts:
    excellent post. hope you don't mind I added paragraphs to make it easier to read...

xrayit and Broke like this.
  15. Brian_T

Brian_T Tracker

Blog Posts:
    As has been said before, learn the marlinspike hitch, grab some straps and toggles, and get hanging.

Just remember to hang on the KNOT and not on the toggle. ;)

B

Unistat76 and Broke like this.
  16. davidchagrin

davidchagrin Scout

Blog Posts:
    Cinch buckles attached to continuous loop suspension is the simplest and it's infinitely adjustable. If you can put on a belt, you can hang a hammock with cinch buckles. I use them on all the hammocks I build.

ra2bach, xrayit and Broke like this.
  17. ra2bach

Blog Posts:
    for whoopies, right? or do you use the MSH directly to the continuous loops on your gathered end hammock?..

18. ra2bach

Blog Posts:
    I do like them as well, just not a light as whoopies.

I'm beginning to test the Becket Hitch to see if I like it. it's lighter than cinch buckles and easier to adjust than Marlin Spike Hitch...

davidchagrin likes this.
  19. Fiddlehead

Fiddlehead Scout

Blog Posts:
    atlas straps with caribiners are the easiest in my opinion. Just a couple of minutes to set up your hammock.

20. Pharmer

Pharmer Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I like the simplicity of cinch buckles but I swear I seem to get a better lay / hang with whoopie slings. It may be related to the suspension length I'm not sure. Maybe it's all in my head lol. I like them both. Nothing like hanging in a hammock on a nice day. I also like the option in hot weather vs a stuffy tent.

21. Red Wing

Red Wing Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Wh
    Whatever you practice a few times with will be easy. No suspension is hard.

Lots love the biners. I used them for about 5 years because they were "easy".

I've moved to whooped and I find it's more adjustable and easier to add a dyneema extender to. I don't even think about how I'm tying my marlin spike anymore. I couldn't explain it to someone else lol.

Just about what you prefer. I've come across too many perfect spots I couldn't get around the circumfrance of the tree even though the spacing was good. Trading 12' of webbing for dyneema and twigs for biners you can save almost half a lb probably. That's a half pound more of food lol.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017 at 12:35 PM
    Pharmer likes this.
  22. Brian_T

Brian_T Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'm using that with continuous loops larks-headed to the gathered ends on my hammock. You CAN use it with Whoopies the same way.

As a matter of fact, I have two dog bones that I can use to extend the reach of my straps with an additional toggle if I need to.

If the weather would clear here for a bit I could set it up and get a few pics if that would make my rambling a bit clearer. ;)

B

ra2bach likes this.
  23. ra2bach

Blog Posts:

nono, I know exactly what you mean. I just asked to clarify for the OP and other people who don't understand the options.

BTW, instead of waiting for better weather in CHI, you should pack that stuff up and come show us at the TN FALL meet -- https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/thre...sa-meet-oct-27th-29th-planning-thread.206916/

Broke likes this.
  24. Jordan Russell

Jordan Russell Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    I'm running an eno double with atlas straps. I love it so much that I stopped sleeping on the ground altogether if the circumstances allow.

Broke likes this.
  25. Broke

Blog Posts:
    I am getting ready to order Dutch's titanium marlinspike pins and some tree straps.
    Looks to have the fewest moving parts and allow a very adjustable hang.
    I have been using eno slap straps and usually use my yukon tree huggers that are more like the Atlas straps.
    Those with a carabiner and whoOpie slings work ok. But as was mentioned previously, they don't work great if the trees are not far enough apart.

I just finished a new hammock, made it too small due to a shipping error and my not checking the size of the fabric. Hope to have a new 11' diy ready for the fall Tennessee meet up.
    Adam G

Red Wing and Carbonmated like this.
  26. Carbonmated

Carbonmated Guide

Blog Posts:
    Are you posting up pics in a thread of your new hammock? I would like to see your work :dblthumb:

Broke and Red Wing like this.
  27. Red Wing

Blog Posts:
    Arrow shafts work great and are pretty cheap too Broke. Do you have dutchclips yet?

I think I'm going to pick up a pair. Had them on my last suspension and they were super light and convenient.

Broke likes this.
  28. Broke

Blog Posts:
    Not yet... I ordered a 90x156 ruffled taffeta table cloth at the suggestion of @Redwing I figured to cut it down to 72x144 and then fold and lash the ends with a continuous loop. Problem is the vendor sent me a 72x144 so due to my not measuring it ended up 60x102. So, I am waiting on a new cloth to come in and then will do a WIP thread on it.

No, I was going to stitch a loop in the webbing and just feed the webbing through itself and then do the marlinspike hitch. Was lookinG at beetle buckles, but it seems easier to just do a marlinspike hitch. I may order the Dutch buckles if the money works out right.
    Adam G

Red Wing and Carbonmated like this.
  29. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    Trucker's hitch .
    It is a 3-1 purchase and can be adjusted fully loaded .

Broke likes this.
  30. aaronu

aaronu Armchair Bushcrafter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I have whoopie slings. My brother in law has Atlas straps.

The Atlas straps are definitely easier, but like others have pointed out, none of these systems are difficult.

My preference is for the whoopie slings becaus of versatility. Going out with the B-I-L he picks a hanging spot first because typically there are fewer places he can use his Atlas straps. That's because we're in cedar forest. Lots of big trees, and there may not be two smaller trees the right distance apart for his hammock. I carry 15' dyneema straps so I have a lot more flexibility in where to hang.

OTOH the B-I-L really likes the Atlas straps. While he may need to look further to find hanging trees than I do, so far we've always been a able to a suitable hanging spot.

Broke likes this.
  31. PDA

PDA Scout

Blog Posts:
    Broke likes this.
  32. Red Wing

Blog Posts:
    FFT, a marlin spike hitch is pretty much. Trucker hitch.

Whoopies are default most bushcracfty lol. But truckers hitches arent hard and its the same knot turned the other way with a stick inside the loop.

Broke likes this.
  33. 138zacvining

138zacvining Feral bearded man Hobbyist Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts: