Eberlestock Bandit

Discussion in 'Packs, Bags & Pouches' started by sweet trav, Feb 12, 2019.

1. woodsranger

woodsranger Solitude Seeker Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Looks great. Really heavy though at 4 pounds empty, and cost $190. Not sure if I'm willing to spend that much on a day pack, but hey...they didn't have the dimensions listed on their site, so I sent them an email. We'll see! Has everything I'm looking for though. Thanks.

M.Hatfield and Harper like this.
  2. Harper

Harper Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:

Amazon has the dims as 22"x11"x7" in the "Questions" area.

The extra weight for a day bag doesn't bother me. How much weight do you really need to carry for a day. This bag can probably work as a 3-day bag if it had to.

Optics Planet has them for 16% + Free s/h.

M.Hatfield and woodsranger like this.
  3. Longhunter1761

Longhunter1761 Flatlander Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Eberlestock site will now allow you to backorder a Bandit in dry earth color. I spoke with them over the phone. ETA is late April, first of May.

woodsranger and M.Hatfield like this.
  4. Odinborn

Odinborn Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    They are also sending out hip belt extensions to anyone that has the first generation with the short belt, just have to contact them and ask.

Harper likes this.
  5. leightyj2

leightyj2 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Just thought I would post my own photos of mine. I added a Kifaru Sherman pocket to the front which works really nice. Also added some hidden woodsmen compression straps to the top. You can still open the pack with the pocket on too. Having a wide chest and shoulders this pack still works fine for me. I like that the top pocket of the pack will fit a CCW like my sig p365 very easily, can even hold a Glock 19.

E034C51F-50E8-4747-B8F8-545FB5511715.jpeg 3D093498-065A-4610-8B87-419830C114CA.jpeg 9CDA12E7-B267-4CFC-BC5A-06B5E751431F.jpeg 813F84DD-ACA9-4A0B-A6D3-CD56D2A1BA5C.jpeg 91A5D30B-7792-4044-B8A3-373D3424CD52.jpeg

6. Coopsdaddy

Coopsdaddy Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Any more info on the bandit.i would like one in multicam or black.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  7. Harper

Blog Posts:
    Here is a follow up review:

woodsranger likes this.
  8. Harper

Blog Posts:
  9. leightyj2

leightyj2 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I think it is a great pack. The two things I never liked about the HPG Tarahumara was the lack of ventilation on the back and the fact that the water bottle pockets were so small. This pack is roughly the same size with excellent ventilation for your back, top and bottom molle, the side pouches are much larger, and it has more options for adding additional gear with the front panel. If you are looking for it to do what a 35L pack will do, obviously it is too small. I dig this pack for archery hunting, biking, or general woods bumming. The only reservation I would have is if you are a very tall person who is also overweight. Beyond this, it should work extremely well for most. A plus is it will work with many of the kifaru pouches like I posted above.

Panzer and Harper like this.
  10. woodsranger

Blog Posts:
    If you'll watch the review, he emphasizes several times the word "small." That's because...it's SMALL! And at 9 inches wide, it's very narrow. I mean, put a tape measure on the floor and look at how narrow 9 inches actually is, then try to fit your gear into that space. And if you put water bottles into the side pockets, that width becomes even slightly less. Now, if that's what you really want, a very small pack to carry basics, then you'll probably love it. But I returned mine because it was smaller than I thought. I also thought that I could use it as a top loader, but it didn't work very well for that, and I didn't like the beaver tail (front panel) feature. I would rather have a stuff pouch or a pocket than a flap that is open on both sides. You also have to unfasten it when you want to open and close the pack. The pack IS very well constructed though, I loved the color, and the water bottle pockets hold a Nalgene Oasis. It's pretty heavy for such a small pack.

Anyway, I returned mine and ordered a 5.11 Dart24. It says it's 30 liters (the bandit is 15), but I don't know how these companies determine volume! The height and depth are identical on both packs (18" high by 7" deep), but the 5.11 is 2" wider (11" width versus the 9" width of the Bandit). It has a full-length side access pocket that I can stuff a jacket and bird ID book and some other things into (instead of a panel that's open on both sides) and another full-length side access panel for smaller items (snacks). Plus another pocket on the top for a first aid kit, fire kit, etc. So hopefully I'll be able to do most everything I need to do on a hike (drink, grab snacks, grab my binos and book) without ever having to actually go into the main compartment. It also has a separate hydration pocket (which I would use to hold my space blanket, tarp, stakes and bank line). It also has a removable stiffener/accessories/laptop thingie.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
    Harper likes this.
  11. Coopsdaddy

Coopsdaddy Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Dang it woodsranger,now i have to look into that one!

woodsranger likes this.
  12. woodsranger

Blog Posts:
    :4:

13. Dpinga

Dpinga Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Having owned a number of Eberlestock packs I can vouch for the sizing. They are all smaller than they sound. Why is that? The pockets will overlap the space in other compartments but they add both areas as separate cubic inches/litres. For example, you can fully load the main portion of the Halftrack pack but good luck fitting anything in the side water bottle pockets or the side water bladder pockets. They don't stretch or open wide enough. But it seems as though both spaces are counted independently to add up the total space of the pack. One of my frustrations with their packs imho.

woodsranger likes this.
  14. Coopsdaddy

Coopsdaddy Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I found out mystery ranch is coming out with a new urban assault 24 with water bottle pockets in july,i may have to wait for that.Its a pack i have always liked and a decent price but lacked a place for water bottles.

15. woodsranger

Blog Posts:

geologist2 likes this.
  16. Coopsdaddy

Coopsdaddy Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Really digging the urban,as long as they hold 32 oz nalgenes!

17. ra2bach

ra2bach Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    amen. I gave my UA to my son for a book bag. if they add bottle pockets I'll get one...

woodsranger likes this.
  18. ra2bach

Blog Posts:
    not anything like the UA...

19. woodsranger

Blog Posts:
    Maybe they should rename it the Urban Laptop :)

ra2bach likes this.
  20. Watcher of the Woods

Watcher of the Woods Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Osprey Talon 22. It's here to stay.

Harper and ra2bach like this.
  21. ra2bach

Blog Posts:
    ah, I was replying to the image of the video that showed the molle pack and thought it was the 3DAP. I watched the video and saw the new UA.

question - why can't Mystery Ranch just make a simple, comfortable, durable pack like the UA and just add exterior bottle pockets? I don't want a waist strap, I don't want molle, I don't want a slew of internal sleeves and pockets that I have to wrack my brain over trying to come up with something to carry in them. I just want the current UA with exterior bottle pockets...

woodsranger likes this.
  22. woodsranger

Blog Posts:
    True! Maybe you can write to them and see what they say?

23. 41magfan

41magfan Scout

Blog Posts:
    MR has apparently just discontinued the Street Fighter, which is a similar sized pack with water bottle pockets. I like mine because it's the only day pack I've ever encountered with a real suspension system (overkill actually) that came in "sizes". My size XL fits like a glove. A quick Google search shows they're still be available at several online vendors.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
    Guy and woodsranger like this.
  24. Coopsdaddy

Coopsdaddy Tracker

Blog Posts:
    If you watch the video they are making a ua with water bottle pockets,come out this summer.

25. Oldhorse

Oldhorse Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Check out the Kifaru Doorgunner. I'm very pleased with mine.

woodsranger likes this.
  26. Coopsdaddy

Coopsdaddy Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Love mine for for its purpose,a small day pack with organization,i wanted to like the tara but this is so much handier.