EDC overnight?

Discussion in 'General Bushcraft Discussion' started by kelly24179, Aug 19, 2019.

1. kelly24179

kelly24179 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I was just wondering if there was a EDC overnight thread? There are lots of mini survival kit overnights or what have you but what if you are just out, no mini kit, just you and your EDC and your wits. I get everyone carrys something different for where they live and work but could you do it on just your EDC assumeing your cellphone is no help. How long could you go and to what extent?
    Say it happened today just you by yourself in your area and BAM middle on somewhere and survive ???? Just pondering.

Bobsdock, Winterhorse, c99c and 7 others like this.
  2. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Are we talking EDC bag or just what's on the body?

Bobsdock, Winterhorse and Guttersnipe like this.
  3. kelly24179

kelly24179 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Just what you would carry any random day.

Bobsdock, Winterhorse and Guttersnipe like this.
  4. squishware

squishware Troubleshooter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    One trick is to leave your EDC in on your clothing from the day and leave it by the bed. That way if you have to get up and deal with something your EDC comes too.

5. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I have my pack with me all of the time. I could quite comfortably get by at least three or four days with what I carry. Worst case scenario, I could get by a couple of weeks maybe, before I would start to get worried.

6. will62

will62 Guide

Blog Posts:
    On what I carry in my pockets two days maybe three. My normal load in my pockets include an SAK Huntsman, a Bic, single AAA flashlight, and a bandana. My key ring has a lanyard consisting of 6 feet of braided paracord and there is a mini pry bar, mini compass, and ferro rod on the ring.

The big thing would be finding a container to boil water.

This would also depend on the time of year and whether or not I was somewhat familiar with the area. If I had my haversack I would be more comfortable as I would have a tarp and more cordage for shelter.
    I would also have a container for boiling and storing water.

Are we talking walking out of the situation?

7. mtnoutdoors

mtnoutdoors Prov 27:17

Blog Posts:
    :33: good question. Prov 27:17

kelly24179 and Winterhorse like this.
  8. Jeffa

Jeffa Scout

Blog Posts:
    I think its important to note that things you carry also help you obtain or create other things that you can use. Carve a bowl, make cordage in an urban environment you can open cans and repair essentials. Pistol can help get a rifle. Given a lighter and a sak, I think I could stay quite happy for sometime.... I would prefer a bigger knife=faster work.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    Bobsdock, Winterhorse and kelly24179 like this.
  9. mountainman11b

mountainman11b Supporter Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I feel a challenge coming on!

kelly24179 and Winterhorse like this.
  10. Tyrthek

Tyrthek Tracker

Blog Posts:
    My family judges me for all the gear I lug around in my backpack on a regular basis. I could go on a bushcraft outing pretty spontaneously with what I carry. I'd do well to fit a small change of clothing (shirt, undies, socks) in my pack too though...Time to add more weight to the bag! (though my pack weighs a ton with all the stuff I carry for work, ditching that in an emergency saves me well over 10 lbs between my laptop and other devices)

11. John from Alberta

John from Alberta Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    This concept is interesting to me, because I would never be anywhere that I would need to survive with only my EDC items. If I'm heading anywhere remote I have much more than my keys and folding knife. I was even thinking about the whole PSK challenge along these lines too; I would never need to survive on the items in PSK alone, because I only have my PSK with me when I'm out doing other things where I would have more gear, for example when hiking I would have my PSK AND a waterbottle, AND enough food for a day comfortably, and likely 3-4 days if I were to ration it. Along with cold weather gear, and possibly even a small stove and cookset. My thought is that if you are stuck somewhere with only your EDC gear, or only your PSK, then you weren't really prepared in the first place.

On the other hand, as a strictly theoretical experiment, it's an interesting idea.

12. Foilist

Foilist Guide

Blog Posts:
    Aside from phone, wallet, keys,notepad/pen, my edc includes a knife, multitool, ferro rod, peanut lighter, and small flashlight.

Better than many people, but I wouldn't want to get by on just that.

13. CoolBreeze135

CoolBreeze135 Scholarly Woodsman

Blog Posts:
    There’s a basic problem with this thought experiment (at least in my mind). There is no chance of me being caught in the woods with just my EDC stuff. What I am carrying completely depends on where I am. My edc is a knife, flashlight, multi tool, pen, handkerchief, and wallet. I carry my EDC stuff around town, the office, home, the grocery store, etc. If I am anywhere near the woods, I’m carrying completely different stuff (I’ll always have a water bottle and purification drops, poncho, FAK, Fire kit, cordage, a sturdier knife, often an extra layer of clothing). What I carry to Walmart and the office is what I consider “edc”, but I wouldn’t be caught dead in the woods with only those things, so it doesn’t really make sense as a plausible situation.

14. c99c

c99c Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I used to to do random overnighters quite a bit with only what I had on me before I was married, especially in high school and just after.
    It would be to check out a new backcountry fishing or swimming hole, climbing area, cave or kayak put in, etc on short notice. Hunting trips that ran long. Sometimes I'd just go for walk and decide to find somewhere to sleep and continue the next day.

I've done it a few times over the last decade with friends as a "challenge", although it's yet to prove to be much of one. If one doesn't need constant AC, to eat every few hours and is comfortable sleeping pretty much anywhere and drinking from sketchy sources it's just a matter of staying entertained.

I do long trail runs often, but usually have at least a bare bones PSK/repair kit with me. Usually.

Maybe it was reckless, maybe it's stupid, but it was fun and I never ended up in a bad situation. I do sometimes miss the freedom of just going without a phone or time to return and with no need of letting anyone know I'm ok.

With my kid becoming an adult and a wife that doesn't mind me occasionally wandering off its very likely to happen again at some point.

A knife, a lighter, a handkerchief (and nowadays a a flashlight) and a little knowledge and common sense go a long way.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  15. John from Alberta

John from Alberta Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Exactly my thoughts.

Winterhorse and CoolBreeze135 like this.
  16. kelly24179

kelly24179 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Ok let's try this, its morning middle of the week you finished your morning routine walk outside ready for a normal day and out of nowhere black SUV's with men in black suits show up and before you can do anything you blackout and you wake up by your self in your bushcraft environment and just what you have with you. and just for the sake of it, it's spring. I hope that makes it easier.

Bobsdock, Winterhorse and SMLE Guy like this.
  17. will62

will62 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I did this with a few other reservists one four day drll weekend. We had a SAK or multi-tool, lighter, canteen with cup and ten feet of paracord. Everyone made it overnight and about a third of is made it the second night before itwas called off. We were dropped off individually in a section of the Mark Twain National Forest.

18. Pinelogcreek

Pinelogcreek Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Could I yes, with just what’s in my pockets. Could it happen yes. For example in my job I have been pressed at a moments notice into search and rescue with no time to even get to items from a vehicle. Go to far, get injured or lost is possible albeit unlikely. Have comms fail, much more likely. With a sak farmer I can certainly make a dry shelter for the night with just the saw. My mini bic gives me fire and there is enough trash around America to find a container to boil water in nearly anywhere. I have a couple flashlight and a couple firearms with me. I also carry a thumbtack compass in a container with some meds. My wallet has bandaids, tape, Dental floss and other meds in it. I have developed a kit that I keep in the car based on previous experience that could make it much more comfortable and safer as well. The car kit would just make it almost too easy but that’s the point. The trick is to be out in good clothing with quality socks and footwear.

19. Seacapt.

Seacapt. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Folks do this as a matter of course here in the North woods while overnight ice fishing, catnapping atop a broke down snow mobile until the next day, rest stops during a moonlight all night X country ski trip with just the proper clothes for the season and carrying a source of fire ignition usually a couple Bics for a warming fire if needed. In my AO (Maine) water, shelter material, dry wood fuel considerations are moot since available year round.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019